It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Adventure Begins
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:40 am 
Tracker
Tracker

"Why, that's most civilised!" Biddle smiles. "Thank you, sir. I'll have a sherry please. Tell me about this establishment, if you would be so kind. I know what you mean about pesky orcs!"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:11 am 
Scout
Scout

Weeba looks at the menu board, if any, but he also scans the rest of the chamber for any threats.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:35 pm 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Doughty smiles at the offer, and before anyone is the wiser, he is behind the man, in the kitchen, asking questions about spices, seasonings and sauces used in this part of the world. He makes small talk as he does so, As the man says, orcs are rough around the edges. Lacking manners, but what can you do?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:31 am 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Day 1, Afternoon (still turn 7)

The man taps his finger to his brow and says, "Jocular Joey, at your service." He points to the sign, where you can see a menu painted:

Rat-on-a-Stick!
Jocular Joey, Fancy Francine & Wizardly Walt, Proprietors
Code:
EATS                                  DRINKS
Rat (plain, fried, or seasoned)       Rat-o-Ade™ on a stick…         4sp
    …on a stick              4sp      Rat beer on a stick…           8sp
    …on a big stick          8sp      Rat sherry on a stick…        12sp
    …on a really big stick  12sp     

Stepping out of the stand, another man—Wizardly Walt, by the look of his pointy hat—comes out and hands Biddle a sherry, plus a handwritten bill for 12sp. "It isn't quite like the stuff you get back home in Quendor, but you won't find any better here in the Eastlands."

Fancy Francine hangs out the window and waits for Weeba to make his order. "I'll make the menu easy for you, handsome. They're all rats. But good rats." Swatting Doughty away from the frying vats, she adds, "Hey, don't touch that unless you've come to fix it." Wizardly Walt intervenes and herds Doughty over to the spice cupboard, where he proudly introduces the hobbit to the curious scents and tastes of Eastland green peppercorn, honkleroot, and pickled vadoosh.

The proprietors happily take orders from the party, having not seen any other Quendorians in several months. With the succinct clarity of a group who has had to explain their presence many times before, the trio inform you that they too were once adventurers from the Old World, hired out to explore this strange new continent. After stumbling upon the deeds to a Rat-on-a-Stick franchise, they have hung up their spurs and entered the lucrative world of dungeon cuisine.

Actions?

Light sources: Digsby's lantern, Weeba's lantern (held by Doughty), Biddle's torch (all burning 1 turn)

Biddle Spratt, Hypnotist Extraordinaire (Wiz, ST 10/12 LK 14 DEX 10 — Adds: +2/+2) CON: 11/11
Digsby Mudfoot, Halfling Gardener (War, ST 7 LK 12 DEX 15 — Adds: +1/+4) CON: 19/20
Doughty Doughball, Halfling Cook (Rog, ST 5 LK 7 DEX 15 — Adds: -3/+0) CON: 4/16
Garrick the Fortunate, Elven Archaeologist (Wiz, ST 7 LK 17 DEX 12 — Adds: +3/+3) CON: 9/9
Spindlethrash, Halfling Ne'er-do-well (War, ST 5 LK 13 DEX 18 — Adds: +3/+9) CON: 32/32
Weeba Zortz, Warrior in Triplet (War, ST 13 LK 10 DEX 17 — Adds: +6/+11) CON: 9/10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:51 am 
Scout
Scout

Weeba orders two fried, on a stick, and one beer on a stick (he's not sure how that will work, but is willing to give it a try).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:48 am 
Tracker
Tracker

"Do you have anything other than rat, if I might enquire?" Biddle asks, sniffing involuntarily.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:36 am 
Scout
Scout

After surveying the vicinity for a few moments to ascertain if there were anything out of the ordinary or otherwise caught his interest - aside of the presence of an open-air-market food vendor in the tunnels of the Eastlands - Digsby steps forward. He nudges Biddle as he steps near the counter, "One of the lessons we learned during the Great Dire Weasel Uprising: eat when you have the chance. You never know when, where or what your next meal may be." The halfling nods to Jocular Joey, "I'll take a pair of big sticks, fried, and a Rat Beer, please." Digsby takes a seat with his back as near to the wall as he can make it so he can stay alert and observe the rest of the area. "I'm curious, have you found it to be true that the denizens of this land actually like the granola from Antharia? A great part of our mission is to locate new markets and facilitate introductions with our distributors."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:25 am 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Bandy asks to smell and taste some of the spices, concentrating on spices that would go well with granola. He also orders two big rat-on-a-sticks, and a Sherry.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:35 am 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Day 1, Afternoon (turn 8)

Fancy Francine whips up two rats and a beer each for Weeba and Digsby, plus an order of rats and sherry for Doughty, all on a stick. The beverages take awhile to get the hang of, but soon they are able to drink without dribbling on themselves.

"Rats and just rats on the menu, I'm afraid, but don't knock it till you try it," Wizardly Walt explains to Biddle and Digsby. "The monsters of this country really only eat rats and granola. They love granola, don't ask me why. But granola mines don't occur naturally here, so whatever we'd sell has to be shipped in from the Old World."

Jocular Joey, who seems like the businessman of the group, seems quite interested in what Digsby has to say. "If you can supply us with granola, we'd be happy to buy. We'd be the first granola retailers in this part of the Eastlands. We'd make a killing! How does 1 gold piece a crate sound?"

The party continues to munch on fried and seasoned rats, which are surprisingly tasty, as far as vermin go. Doughty considers honkleroot the superior spice, and believes it could go well with granola in a variety of ways.

Soon you are sated and feel up for anything. Joe and Walt wipe off the tables and make small talk about the current standings in the Antharian Shark Wrestling leagues.

(Washing down a rats heals 1 CON, big rats 2 CON, once a day.)

Actions?

Light sources: Digsby's lantern, Weeba's lantern (held by Doughty), Biddle's torch (all burning 2 turns)

Biddle Spratt, Hypnotist Extraordinaire (Wiz, ST 11/12 LK 14 DEX 10 — Adds: +2/+2) CON: 11/11
Digsby Mudfoot, Halfling Gardener (War, ST 7 LK 12 DEX 15 — Adds: +1/+4) CON: 20/20
Doughty Doughball, Halfling Cook (Rog, ST 5 LK 7 DEX 15 — Adds: -3/+0) CON: 8/16
Garrick the Fortunate, Elven Archaeologist (Wiz, ST 7 LK 17 DEX 12 — Adds: +3/+3) CON: 9/9
Spindlethrash, Halfling Ne'er-do-well (War, ST 5 LK 13 DEX 18 — Adds: +3/+9) CON: 32/32
Weeba Zortz, Warrior in Triplet (War, ST 13 LK 10 DEX 17 — Adds: +6/+11) CON: 10/10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:15 pm 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Doughty checks his belongings for a pre-printed contact for the rat vendors to sign.We can get you the granola, but 1 gold piece or crate seems hardly work it on our end. We've got to mine it, crate it, ship it, then lug it down here, past a trip, a magic fox and orcs. I'm thinking 10 gold per crate sounds more fair. He makes it clear he needs his companions thoughts before anything is signed. He also asks for directions to get back to the docks, certain there must be a more direct route.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:15 am 
Scout
Scout

Digsby listens to the proprietors interest and Doughty's counter-offer. "Honestly, gents, and lady," he nods to Fancy Francine, "I was thinking it might work to everyone's advantage to negotiate a percentage, say 15% of the negotiated price, as a kind of finder's fee to introduce you to our distributors. This gratuity would be in force for, say, the first year of your relationship with them. Whatever your order, large or small in that first year, our finders fee stays the same." He looks around the table, "We don't need to be greedy, our primary duty is to scout the tunnels for his majesty and secondarily locate new markets for him. The more markets we find, the more in our pockets."

The halfling continues eating his rat-on-a-stick, gnawing as he gets closer to the actual stick. "I don't think we ever figured it out, is anyone mapping the tunnels we've been going through?" The shoveller looks around, surveying the group, "Has anyone seen Garrick recently? I don't recall seeing him since the teeter-totter room."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:37 am 
Scout
Scout

Weeba shakes his head at the talk of commerce, smiling. He just enjoys his meal and waits until the others have concluded their talks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:21 pm 
Tracker
Tracker

Biddle offers to draw up a contract. "I once thought about training as a lawyer. They generally do pretty well for themselves. I swotted up on it but decided that it would be more profitable if I turned my talents towards the more penetrative arts. At any rate, I know how to turn a water-tight phrase!"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:51 am 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

At The mention of "penetrative arts" Doughty snickers. Then catches a glimpse of Spindlethrash and blushes remembering the halfling's comments about the orcs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:39 am 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Day 1, Afternoon (turn 9)

"I can live with a percentage. We don't know what quality granola they can get us yet, anyway," shouts Fancy Francine from within the food shack.

"Alright, 10% and you have yourselves a deal," says Jocular Joey. He scrawls out a trade agreement for ten percent and hands it to the party. "Go take that to your captain. If'n he's happy to sign, just tear off the lower half and bring it back here and we'll do business." The proprietors go back to fixing up more food for any other wandering monsters who might drop by.

Digsby looks about for Garrick, but doesn't see him. Hopefully he didn't fall into the cosmic well!

The party's casual search for Garrick confirms that no one has been jotting down their travels on a map. The chamber they are in has only two exits: the western secret door through which they came, and a corridor leading east, forty feet to a four-way intersection at the edge of the lantern light.

Actions?

Light sources: Digsby's lantern, Weeba's lantern (held by Doughty), Biddle's torch (all burning 2 turns, but snuffed out for now as this room is well lit)

Biddle Spratt, Hypnotist Extraordinaire (Wiz, ST 11/12 LK 14 DEX 10 — Adds: +2/+2) CON: 11/11
Digsby Mudfoot, Halfling Gardener (War, ST 7 LK 12 DEX 15 — Adds: +1/+4) CON: 20/20
Doughty Doughball, Halfling Cook (Rog, ST 5 LK 7 DEX 15 — Adds: -3/+0) CON: 8/16
Weeba Zortz, Warrior in Triplet (War, ST 13 LK 10 DEX 17 — Adds: +6/+11) CON: 10/10

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:46 am 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Doughty sits patiently, waiting for someone to map our path so far. He discusses the spices more.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:28 am 
Scout
Scout

"I can work with ten percent, certainly. We'll return your offer to the ship's captain as soon as we're able."

Digsby looks around and, not seeing anyone else with supplies to hand, finishes off his rats and beer, wipes his hands clean and pulls parchment and charcoal out of his satchel. The halfling closes his eyes for a moment, visualizing the parties path from their entry into the tunnels. Once the images and relative dimensions are clear in his mind, the gardener begins laying out their path through the tunnels, much like he would layout a new garden, burrow or fortification.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:15 am 
Scout
Scout

"How do you currently get your supplies?" Weeba asks the proprietors. "I mean specifically, what route do your suppliers take to get things to you? Do they come in the way we did?" He indicates the map in progress. "Or is there another route?"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:41 am 
Tracker
Tracker

Biddle snaps to attention at this - he wants to understand the logistics.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:18 am 
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Day 1, Afternoon (turn 10)

When Weeba asks for details on how they get their stock, the three adventurer-proprietors clam up shut. "Er, well… that's a trade secret, you see. But we do occasionally get the odd shipment in through the front door, so to speak—the postman drops it off at the house above and we give pick it up from there—but we've mostly stopped that method, ever since that blasted troll ate the house owners and started stealing our shipments. We were even going to branch out and start another location down on a lower level in this dungeon, but the troll nabbed our franchise starter kit! Talk about money down the drain."

At the cooking station, Doughty continues to nose around the pantry and cooking equipment. Fancy Francine, in one of her rare good moods, tosses the diminutive culinarian a couple of tiny jars of local spices. "Don't use them all up in one go," she says.

Digsby begins to mark out the party's current situation (see mapping thread for a head start).

Actions?

Light sources: Digsby's lantern, Weeba's lantern (held by Doughty), Biddle's torch (all burning 3 turns, but snuffed out for now as this room is well lit)

Biddle Spratt, Hypnotist Extraordinaire (Wiz, ST 12/12 LK 14 DEX 10 — Adds: +2/+2) CON: 11/11

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next