2. The First Delve

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

Re: The Adventure Begins

#41 Post by Khaboom »

Biddle is ready to follow with the others.
Did I roll on LK for self healing? If not, the dice say 5,6 which is L2 on a base LK of 25 - let me know if I get to fix myself up a bit!

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Starbeard »

Day 1, Midday (turn 16)

The party takes a break while tending to their wounds. Weeba quickly fixes himself up, and Biddle argues with Digsby over the best way to bind up his own wound. Finally he grabs a handful of Digsby's applied bandages and adjusts them himself, making them a little less uncomfortable. That's better!
(Biddle heals [1d6] = 6 CON. Each character can only take an attempt to bandage up wounds once an outing, but in this initial case I'm happy to presume that Biddle is helping Digsby to bandage up his wound, in which case Digsby's SR succeeds).

While they rest, Doughty checks the crossbow room for further anomalies and finds none. He grabs the pouch of bolts and counts them: there are twelve. The three bolts that were shot into his friends have splintered and are useless.

Nothing stirs within this strange dungeon as the minutes tick by...

Actions? (more Thursday evening/Friday morning GMT)

Biddle Spratt, Hypnotist Extraordinaire (Wiz, ST 12 LK 14 DEX 10 — Adds: +2/+2) CON: 11/11
Digsby Mudfoot, Halfling Gardener (War, ST 7 LK 12 DEX 15 — Adds: +1/+4) CON: 20
Doughty Doughball, Halfling Cook (Rog, ST 5 LK 7 DEX 15 — Adds: -3/+0) CON: 4/16
Garrick the Fortunate, Elven Archaeologist (Wiz, ST 7 LK 17 DEX 12 — Adds: +3/+3) CON: 9/9
Weeba Zortz, Warrior in Triplet (War, ST 13 LK 10 DEX 17 — Adds: +6/+11) CON: 9/10

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#43 Post by Khaboom »

Feeling much better, Biddle goes back to the first door opened with the long dark corridor.

"This one, I think," he says cheerfully. "Let's move out men!"

Then he waits for the party to fall into exploration formation.

jiggidy
Squire
Squire

#44 Post by jiggidy »

Garrick the Fortunate pulls the hood from his robe back and bows gently.

"Pleasure to meet you all."

He lifts his robes as he steps over the congealing blood on the stone floor with a slight look of disgust on his wrinkly face. The old elf seems uninterested in the crossbow or the bolts, but begins looking closely at the walls and the floor.

"Hmmm. Looks like first generation FMCC construction! Well-preserved, too! And still used!"

He seems intrigued by the room.

"But, in my experience, trapped subterranean rooms are usually trapped for a reason," he says as he raps his magic staff against the wall.

Matter of factly, he says, "My educated guess is that something of value, or access to another place that leads to something of value, either was, or is, here in this room."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Starbeard »

Day 1, Midday (turn 17)

The party continues to rest in the dungeon foyer, intrigued by the small trapped room. Each of the torches held aloft by the two halflings throws flickering shadows on the walls; the ceiling catches their thin, translucent streams of smoke, filling the room with the subtle and pleasant aroma of burning wood and oil.

Biddle prepares to open the eastern door but delays until the party is ready to leave.

Garrick the Fortunate uses his expertise in archaeological matters to examine the dimensions and construction of the trapped room. It is dusty but not abandoned, and no secret compartments or seams can be found in the floor, walls or ceiling. How curious.

Actions? (more Sunday evening GMT)

Light sources: Digsby's torch (since turn 13), Doughty's torch (since turn 14)

Biddle Spratt, Hypnotist Extraordinaire (Wiz, ST 12 LK 14 DEX 10 — Adds: +2/+2) CON: 11/11
Digsby Mudfoot, Halfling Gardener (War, ST 7 LK 12 DEX 15 — Adds: +1/+4) CON: 20
Doughty Doughball, Halfling Cook (Rog, ST 5 LK 7 DEX 15 — Adds: -3/+0) CON: 4/16
Garrick the Fortunate, Elven Archaeologist (Wiz, ST 7 LK 17 DEX 12 — Adds: +3/+3) CON: 9/9
Weeba Zortz, Warrior in Triplet (War, ST 13 LK 10 DEX 17 — Adds: +6/+11) CON: 9/10

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#46 Post by Khaboom »

"Smart thinking, young sir!
Biddle beams at Garrick and casts Oh There It Is on the wall Garrick has been examining.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

While the others check the walls, Doughty trods to the center of the room, inspecting the floor and ceiling with each step. Once in the center, he holds his arms out to the sides and takes a deep breath, marveling at the spaciousness and imaging how nice it would be to host a banquet here. Aside from the traveling, of course. And that fox...

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

#48 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

Digsby looks around at the chamber and the others, "As much as I'd rather not repeat that experience, I think we should check the other doors as well, just to make sure nothing sneaks up on us while we're not looking." He looks at the various portals, "Well, Biddle, that one is as good as any of the others. Shall we check the next door then, folks?"

Perhaps I'm missing it, but is Biddle indicating the room within which Doughty searched and found the crossbow or is it a different door of the 5(?) in this chamber?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

we've opened two doors so far. The first was a passageway. The second had the crossbow and was a dead end.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Starbeard »

Day 1, Midday (turn 18)

Biddle splays his fingers out dramatically and wiggles them toward the walls of the crossbow room. To his profound confuddlement, no secret passages are revealed anywhere in the room! He and Garrick continue to ponder what purpose this room can possibly serve.

Doughty scans the floor and ceiling around the middle of the room and finds nothing special. At the very center of the room he is delighted to hear how majestically his footsteps echo throughout the chamber. If he were to host a banquet, this is where he should put himself to get everyone's attention.

Digsby suggests checking more doors before moving on. He and Weeba head to the next door in the rotation—the northern door straight back from the stairs—and slowly draw it open, this time standing clear behind it; no trap is sprung. Peeking through the doorway they see another hallway heading straight back, but at the very faint edges of the torchlight they can make out what looks like a four-way intersection in the corridor.

Actions? (more Wednesday morning GMT)

Light sources: Digsby's torch (burning for 5 turns), Doughty's torch (burning for 4 turns)

Biddle Spratt, Hypnotist Extraordinaire (Wiz, ST 8/12 LK 14 DEX 10 — Adds: +1/+1) CON: 11/11
Weeba Zortz, Warrior in Triplet (War, ST 13 LK 10 DEX 17 — Adds: +6/+11) CON: 9/10[/quote]

coffee
Scout
Scout

#51 Post by coffee »

"That one looks like it might go somewhere," Weeba says. "But let's check the rest before we pick one."

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#52 Post by Khaboom »

Agreed, mon ami. Ca va! I'm afraid if my spells don't work, I shall have to speak gobbledeygook!

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

#53 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

Digsby nods at Weeba's assessment, "I'd feel a lot more comfortable knowing that we've checked the path behind us. Whatever it was - ogre, troll - that ate that family in the house upstairs, there's no saying he doesn't have friends." The gardener indicates the door to the near-left of the stairwell where they entered the chamber, "Shall we check that one next?" Digsby takes a moment to chalk a quick note on this door to indicate a hallway and intersection.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Starbeard »

Day 1, Afternoon (turn 1)

(To help move things along, I'll assume the party also checks the final door if nothing exciting happens with the western door)

The party assembles by the door left of the stairwell, and when pulled open reveals a long hallway much like the door on the right. Carefully they shuffle to the next door down—the final unopened door of the five, facing northwest—and carefully open it. This door groans and squeaks ever so slightly as it is pulled open. The light of the party's torches reveals a corridor heading back 30 feet before veering to the left, out of sight.

Weeba, covering the doorway with his bow, notices a small woolen bag or cloth tossed in the corner when the tunnel turns west.

Actions? (more Friday morning)

Light sources: Digsby's torch (burning for 6 turns), Doughty's torch (burning for 5 turns)

Biddle Spratt, Hypnotist Extraordinaire (Wiz, ST 9/12 LK 14 DEX 10 — Adds: +2/+2) CON: 11/11
Weeba Zortz, Warrior in Triplet (War, ST 13 LK 10 DEX 17 — Adds: +6/+11) CON: 9/10[/quote]

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#55 Post by Khaboom »

Biddle tries Detect Magic just in case...

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Starbeard »

Biddle detects no magic coming from anywhere or anything in the hallway ahead of them.

coffee
Scout
Scout

#57 Post by coffee »

If nobody else moves, Weeba will put up his bow and draw his sword. Then he'll advance to the bag/cloth/whatever.

Instead of going right to it, he'll look around and see if there's anybody else around up here (monsters, etc.). Only when he's satisfied the coast is clear will he investigate the bag/cloth.

Obviously, if anything attacks him he'll defend himself.

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#58 Post by Khaboom »

Gareful - you just never know what could be coming next.
Biddle prepares to cover with a spell if necessary.

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

#59 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

As Weeba advances into the hallway, Digsby readies his shovel and prepares to shadow the warrior. "Keep an eye out behind us," the gardener says to the others, "This could be a lure for another trap." With that caution, the halfling steps along quietly after the larger warrior.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Feeling he would only get underfoot, Doughty hangs back by the doorway, keeping a vigilant eye on the larger room, per Digsby's recommendations.

Return to “The Great Underground Enterprise (T&T)”