1. The Adventure Begins

coffee
Scout
Scout

Re: The Adventure Begins

#121 Post by coffee »

"Cleaver's all yours!" Weeba says, proffering said item to Digsby. "And much joy may it bring you!"

He continues to test the balance of his new sword.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Starbeard »

The party divvies up the spoils from the chest and behind the sword mounting. Weeba hands Digsby the cleaver and passes the time giving the fancy new sword some test swings. It isn't the best sword he's ever held, but it's a definitely a close third. The warrior definitely approves of the weapon.

Meanwhile, over lunch Doughty Doughball pesters the two wizards about magic.

I like the idea of rogues having to pass SRs to learn spells, with the possibility of unforeseen results. The house rule can be read here: viewtopic.php?p=309509#p309509

Either or both wizard may attempt to teach Doughty a spell, though each can only attempt to teach him one spell a week, and he can only successfully learn one spell a week. If both attempt to teach the same spell, then they are considered successful as long as one of them passes the SR.

Attempting to teach a spell lasts an hour (actually, I'm thinking perhaps an hour per spell level); the current rest period has lasted a little over an hour, most of which is spent divvying treasure, eating and idling, so no extra time will have been spent if either of the wizard players wish to try teaching a first level spell. Just make an Intelligence SR1 and I'll adjudicate.

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#123 Post by Khaboom »

"Let us know if you find anything spicy in the letters, old chap," Biddle beams, heartened by the meal.

"Perma-Lock, hey? Maybe we can make something of it later - let's keep the scroll. Let me know when you're all ready to tackle the trap door. For now, I'll do as I'm told and check the trunk out for any compartements cunningly concealed." He starts tapping with a knife to check for hollow sounds.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Pulpatoon »

Skinklob makes a big show of being annoyed at the prospect of teaching anyone magic, but is clearly flattered and more than a little eager to show off what little expertise he possesses.

He pulls out dozens of scraps of paper from various pockets, each scrawled with incomplete and illegible notes. "So you gotta compute th' stuff, like this chart here, and do th' thingummy with th' whattayacallit—youknow like on... where is that piece? Oh, yeah, and this is th' most important part: never, ever... dammit, I'm missing that note. Ah, it probably won't come up."

[1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 1 +1 =7

Skinklob continues pushing his crumpled notes around and muttering vaguely about "mathy crap" and "blobby ideas" that need to be channeled through "local conditions" and "starry whosits" until he has bored his student and confused himself. "Ahh, I guess it's just too subtle for you. It takes a nimble brain, donchaknow."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Starbeard »

Remember that Saving Rolls add the whole attribute, it's the combat rolls that use Personal Adds! Skinklob's roll is 6 + 13 = 19, which unfortunately is still just shy of success.

Biddle performs some soundings on the chest and cannot find any hidden compartments.

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#126 Post by Khaboom »

"OK, nothing more to find here. Time to re-open that trap door, I think. And I'll take the orders for spell tuition on the way - can't have our little group under done!"

coffee
Scout
Scout

#127 Post by coffee »

Once again, Weeba takes up his bow to cover the trap door opening. Don't want any nasty surprises!

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

#128 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

Digsby finishes up his plate of dumplings as he watches Biddle fuss with the trunk. The shovel-wielder studies the construction, the joinery, the inner and outer dimensions, the latch and hinge assemblies, as well as the lid itself. I wonder... he muses silently.

Digsby walks over to the trunk, doing his best to ignore the remains within. "I saw a couple of these assembled by a cabinet maker back home."

(LCK SR): (12)+[1d6] = 6+[1d6] = 1 => 19

Too bad you can't score spite on a SR

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#129 Post by Khaboom »

Close but no cigar :roll:

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Starbeard »

Day 1, Midday (turn 11)

The party continues to fuss over the chest, poking and prodding, tossing and turning, jigging and rigging, but no further secrets can be found within.

One of the party draws everyone's attention to the window, where the strange little magic fox can be seen skulking through the grass with wounded leg out toward the woods.

Refocusing on what lies below, the trapdoor is once again thrown open, and Weeba Zortz peers into the hole with his bow ready. As before, the hatch leads down a simple chute that sinks perhaps eight feet into the ground before reaching the top of a stone stairway. The stairs descend northward into darkness and out of view. No sounds can be heard coming from within.

Actions! (more on Sunday)

Biddle Spratt, Hypnotist Extraordinaire (Wiz, ST 11/12 LK 14 DEX 10 — Adds: +2/+2) CON: 11
Digsby Mudfoot, Halfling Gardener (War, ST 7 LK 12 DEX 15 — Adds: +1/+4) CON: 20
Doughty Doughball, Halfling Cook (Rog, ST 5 LK 7 DEX 15 — Adds: -3/+0) CON: 4/16
Skinklob Nurl, Dwarven Hexmonger (Wiz, ST 12 LK 7 DEX 13 — Adds: -1/+0) CON: 17/23
Weeba Zortz, Warrior in Triplet (War, ST 13 LK 10 DEX 17 — Adds: +6/+11) CON: 10

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#131 Post by Khaboom »

"How about you lead the way, Weeba, then you with a torch, Digsby and then me in the middle, ready to fire TTYFs? Good to descend? Check the stairs for tripwires and the like as you go, I'll scan the ceiling and 2 others check out the walls to the left and right." Biddle smiles encouragement, eager to make discoveries below.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Doughty smiles politely as Skinklob talks incoherently. Hard to believe it's really that complicated. Maybe I'll get it better later? He takes a few minutes to tidy the kitchen,. Washing surfaces, pots and pans, all the while chatting about the importance of a clean kitchen so that, next time you're hungry, you can get right to the cooking faster. Once done, he shoulders his pack and follows the others into the trap door. Quite a bit darker down here, innit?
Mind you don't slip now. My poor uncle once throwed his back out on a wet step. Never was the same after.

coffee
Scout
Scout

#133 Post by coffee »

"Okay, I'll go first," Weeba says. "But make sure that light is right behind me!"

He puts up his bow, keeps his new sword close to hand, and checks the shaft for trip wires, trap triggers, that sort of thing. Only when it looks clear does he climb down the shaft.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Pulpatoon »

Skinklob lingers near the window. "Think we should something fer that fox? I mean, I don't care much fer vermin, and this one has proven it's got a temper. But it has some pretty good magic, and I'd druther be on friendly terms with it than not.

"Hang on, fellers. I'll join you in just a second."

Skinklob gathers a plate of leftovers, and a bowl of water. He sets them out back, keeping a cautious distance from the injured fox. "Chow, beast. An' water. An' we're about t' clear outta the house, so you can have yer couch back. Sorry for all th' disruption an' hullabaloo."

Skinklob walks back to the house, keeping an eye on the fox. If it is shy about approaching, he'll retreat to the kitchen and watch from the window. If it seems willing to be approached, he will attempt to examine the injured leg.

Return to “The Great Underground Enterprise (T&T)”