02. New Situation at the Falls

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: 02. New Situation at the Falls

#41 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:No idea how many hit points these things have... Hopefully if he does make it dead, then Gwilt would be able to use his attack against the other warg (W2) and not hack at a dead body?
Yes. I do request that players indicate their intended action(s), but when it comes to melee attacking (likely not ranged attacks or spell casting) I do allow logic to dictate what will happen if the intial plan is no longer possible.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#42 Post by saalaria »

Kaltar will watch Garth's back but attack a worg if he can too:

Mace Action To Hit [1d20] = 11 Dam [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2

...But not successfully!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Round 02

#43 Post by dmw71 »

Start of round two:

Code: Select all

w1         w3
                  [Ew*]     [St*]

w2*     w4*
           [Gw]    o2 o3    o8 o9
              [UH]   [K*][Ga]

[Sh]  
Shannigans drops his bow. He quickly retreives a dagger and begins creeping into a position that will allow him to avoid conflict, and possibly afford him an opportunity for a back attack. He waits...

Gwillt shouts,"You keep on this one!" to the unidentified human and breaks away from the worg he was facing to assist Ewell in his contest (w1). An opportunity presents itself almost immediately and he connects with his scimitar in a powerful blow, staggering his new foe.

The worg Gwillt abandoned (w2) in order to assist Ewell turns inward, preparing to rip into the orc (o2) helplessly left in harms way. Shannigans immediately pounces into action. He and the unidentified human simultaneously land killing blows against the now lifeless worg (w2) in front of them.

Garth, hoping to match the skill with a scimitar earlier demonstrated by Gwillt, advances a face the worg (w4) bearing down on him. Unfortunately, the worg turns to attack one of the helpless orcs in front of it (o3) and manages to duck Garth's slashing attempt... as well as the bludgeoning attempt from Kaltar.

Ewell, fueled by an adrenaline rage, catches his worg (w1) with a viscious skewering attempt. He and Gwillt form an impressive tandem, managing to drop the previously unharmed worg (and saving Gwillt six points of damage). The now limp body of the worg slides off Ewell's lance leading him to release a blood curdling scream.

Strom remains engaged in conflict with the worg (w3) before him and narrowly misses with what promised to be an impactful blow... while managing to avoid the bite attempt in return.

The orc standing in front of Kaltar (o3) isn't as fortunate, however, and sustains a vicious bite, but somehow manages to survive.

---

End of round two:

w3
             [Gw] [Ew*]     [St*]

[Sh]           w4*
                   o2 o3*   o8 o9
              [UH]   [K*][Ga]
Two worgs remain, one of which is wounded.

---

End of round two.

---

Once again, I will need a new group initiative roll and actions from all players. If you have any questions about who's where or what's what, let me know.
-- Project --
-- DM --

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Round 02

#44 Post by onlyme »

dmw71 wrote: Once again, I will need a new group initiative roll and actions from all players. If you have any questions about who's where or what's what, let me know.

initiative oops Plain initiative: [1d10] = 8

Ewell move over to aid Strom with his pet Worg, using a lance once there. But, apparently not much help...

lance to hit (+3 str bonus): [1d20+3] = 10+3 = 13 , lance damage on foot 1d6 (+5 Cav and str bonus): [1d6+5 ] = 6+5 = 11
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#45 Post by Alethan »

Gwilt quickly scans the field and notes the two remaining wargs. The one to his right presents a better target and... this is the warg he first hit, he can tell by the fletching of the arrow protruding from it's shoulder. Best to not leave the job unfinished.

"The beast IS doing a good job of getting rid of the orc prisoners...", he thinks to himself as he swings his scimitar at its flanks...

To Hit, Scimitar [1d20+4] = 14+4 = 18

Damage, Scimitar [1d8+3] = 7+3 = 10
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#47 Post by Stonjuz »

The halfling slashes out, with dagger at any worg, or orc within range. (chaos of battle and he just got a little carried away, thats all)

dgr [1d20] = 20 dmg [1d4] = 2

Shannigans seems pleased with the outcome.
crit [1d20] = 12 dmg [1d4] = 1
modified Thac0 20 melee dagger
"I got another one."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#48 Post by dmw71 »

Stonjuz wrote:[1d20] = 20
(+20xp; unmodified)
-- Project --
-- DM --

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by saalaria »

Kaltar will try to clobber the hopefully distracted wolf:

Mace Action To Hit [1d20] = 13 Dam [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Round 03

#50 Post by dmw71 »

Start of round three:

w3
             [Gw] [Ew*]     [St*]

[Sh]           w4*
                   o2 o3*   o8 o9
              [UH]   [K*][Ga]
The worgs, realizing how easily they're outnumbered, see no point in continuing the contest and immediately look to flee, bolting to the north (the initial direction from which they came).

Strom, the only character in a position to attempt an attack against the worg he has been facing (w3), does manage to successfully land a blow and issues a significant slash to the retreating beast.

The second worg (w4), the one finding itself trapped in the middle of the action, is subjected to attacks from Ewell, Kaltar, Garth and Strom, with Ewell quick to land what proves to be a fatal blow to this second creature.

Gwillt, Shannigans and the unidentified human are all able to quickly switch weapons and fire off a single ranged shot at the first fleeing creature.

The triad of archers prove their prowess and are able to strike the escaping worg down before it reaches its destination.

If any player believes their character would have acted differently than how they did above, please do feel free to let me know and retroactive changes can/will be enacted.

Edited to add:
Since I am the one that modified the declared actions to fit the situation, I certainly will not penalize a player for having their character do something *I* made them do. Strom and Ewell can very easily justify their actions as far as I'm concerned. Really, the only characters with any sort of questionable behavior would have been the archers, and none of them are tied to any alignment or honor restrictions so they are fine as well. Still, I am more than willing to modify the actions to fit the character if a player wishes.

---

+46xp, unmodified

---

Actions?
Last edited by dmw71 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit: Fleeing attacks.
-- Project --
-- DM --

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Round 03

#51 Post by onlyme »

dmw71 wrote: Actions?
Normally, Ewell would either be elated to be victorious, or upset over the cowardly attacks on the retreating worg. But, he is in way too much pain to give either a passing thought. He will do whatever is needed to patch up the bite.

Guys. Once we take our rightful spoils, we need to find a good camp for the evening, with or without these orcs.

Whoever has orc language skills, any chance talking might help? they may be grateful we saved the few who are left?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#52 Post by Stonjuz »

Shannigans wipes his weapons like an old hand, trying not to let on that he has just been in his first true battle with a group of adventurers. Checking them over, making sure he will be ready for the next fight when it comes.
"We are good! We should form an adventuring party, not just from circumstance, but for real!. What do you say? Spoils you say? Yippie. What do we have?"

ooc: Unless something else happens real soon, Ill be gone for a week and this will be my last post till i return. Ill try to scout out a connection somewhere, but no guarantees.

does the casting of magic missile also warrant additional xp?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by onlyme »

Generally no. Only defeating monsters and finding treasure. Plus whatever the dm gives as bonuses.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#54 Post by Alethan »

That's exactly how Gwilt would have reacted, so no changes on my part.

Gwilt tries to recover the two arrows he fired (both hits):

Recover Arrow (Hit) - 1%-25%=success [1d100] = 13

Recover Arrow (Hit) - 1%-25%=success [1d100] = 57

He is able to retrieve the arrow from the fourth warg, but not from the one that fled.

He quickly searches the bodies of the goblins for anything of value. If any of the goblins had ranged weapons with them, he'll check to see if any arrows are worth keeping.

Once he's done with searching the goblins, he looks at the orcs. "Any of them still alive?" Then he notices the as-of-yet unidentified human is still milling about and says, "You're good with that bow. What's your name, friend? More importantly, what can we do for ya?"

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by ravenn4544 »

The unidentified human nods to the group "Well fought - we made quick work of that lot. What say you about clearing out that cave the goblins must have come from and make that our home for the night? It is defensible and does have a way out along the river back the way I came from the village. I feel better about what might be there than what might be to the south. Well, mostly...."

He will also look to reclaim his spent arrows that were let fly at the charging goblins.

Recover Arrow (Hit) - 1%-25%=success [1d100] = 51

Recover Arrow (Hit) - 1%-25%=success [1d100] = 24

Recover Arrow (Miss) - 1%-50%=success [1d100] = 7

OOC: When looking to the south, about how far away is nearest trees? What can I see when I scan the horizon - shelter? any sign of where the orcs and leader had come from? Any sign of movement from that way at all?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by onlyme »

welcome raven...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#57 Post by Alethan »

Gwilt shrugs his shoulders, "Seems like it might not be a bad idea... unless there's a dozen each of goblins and wargs in there, waitin' for us. Either way, I don't care WHAT that girl at the Tipsy Dwarf said, I don't sleep with no one if I don't know their name..."

He looks at the stranger expectantly...

(Edited per I missed the part where the stranger said there WAS a way out of the cave...)

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by saalaria »

Kaltar has decided he likes combat. He is curious about the stranger so moves closer to the conversation:
"Are you saying you have been in the cave before or you are supposing based on an exit you know of?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#59 Post by Alethan »

onlyme wrote:welcome raven...
Aye, welcome to the game!

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by onlyme »

ravenn4544 wrote: The unidentified human nods to the group "Well fought - we made quick work of that lot. What say you about clearing out that cave the goblins must have come from and make that our home for the night? It is defensible and does have a way out along the river back the way I came from the village. I feel better about what might be there than what might be to the south. Well, mostly...."
Ewell limps up to the man. South you say? What adventures do you know of in that direction? I see no honor in rooting out mere goblins, just to steal their home. I do think we need to camp before it gets too long into the night. And, of course, I need to replace a couple pints of blood with some rations, myself. By the way, name's Ewell. Yours?

Return to “Adventures in Foxmoor”