02. New Situation at the Falls

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 02. New Situation at the Falls

#21 Post by Nuke66 »

Garth waits, looking to slash at a passing worg in the opportunity presents itself.

OOC: Not rolling, don't think it's gonna happen round 1
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#22 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:Sorry, Dave, so are the goblins/wargs in melee range at this point? Or still charging? I was under the impression they would be n melee range.
You're correct. While they have not closed at the beginning of the round, they will certainly be able to engage in melee once it's their turn to act.

Obviously, I didn't make this fact clear enough.

Depending on which side acts first, missile attacks are still a possibility. However, if the incoming riders win initiative and act first, planned missile attacks will be foiled if the character making the ranged attack is a target of an attack themselves. Much like a spell caster, missile attacks will be possible if the attacker is not disrupted.

Given the confusion, which is due to my poor description of the situation, I will allow those that have declared (or were considering) ranged attacks an opportunity to modify their actions. Already made attack rolls will still be counted, but if you do switch weapon and the damage die would change (e.g. 1d6 -> 1d8), those will need to be re-rolled.

My apologies for the confusion.

Unfortunately, I will ask that all players reaffirm (or modify) their actions.
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by saalaria »

Presumably there will be an element of combat like for flying opponents - both having an attack as they pass? Assuming they don't barrel into us and stop of course! With that in mind:

Kaltar strikes if a target presents itself in range:

Mace Action To Hit [1d20] = 10 Dam [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#24 Post by Stonjuz »

Confirmed. Stated.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by onlyme »

Ewell will continue bracing for the charge, and "attack" as the creatures lunge toward the tip of his lance.

I assume I am supposed to roll an attack for that. Not that it did a lick of good, apparently.
lance to hit (+3 str bonus): [1d20+3] = 7+3 = 10 , lance damage on foot 1d6 (+5 Cav and str bonus): [1d6+5 ] = 6+5 = 11
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#26 Post by Alethan »

OOC: No, it's perfectly fine, now that I've thought about it. Combat is fast and messy. It is chaos personified and nobody really knows what is going to happen next. Confusion is certainly going to be a big part of it.

Gwilt stands by his action of shouldering his bow and drawing his scimitar. He will attack the first goblin that gets into range. (Not sure if I can target one over the other; if not, then I guess just randomize it?)

To Hit, Scimitar [1d20+4] = 11+4 = 15 (Hits AC5)
Damage, Scimitar [1d8+3] = 4+3 = 7
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Round 01

#28 Post by dmw71 »

First, an updated picture of the conflict once the battle begins:

Code: Select all

g1         
                  w1         w3
                  [Ew*]     [St*]
                g2      g4         
                w2      w4*
           [Gw] o1 o2 o3 07 o8 o9
              [UH]   [K*][Ga]

[Sh]  

Order of Action:
(5) [Ew] & [St]
(6) w1, w2, w3, w4, g2, [Gw], [Ga], [UH]
(7) None
(8) [Sh], [K]
(9) g1, g4 

======== PLAYERS ==========   ======= MONSTERS ===========
     = [Gw] Gwillt             =   = w1, w2, w3, w4 = worgs   =
     = [Ga] Garth              =   = g1, g2, g3, g4 = goblins =
     = [Sh] Shannigans         =   =                          =
     =  [E] Ewell              =   = o1, o2, o3,              =
     =  [K] Kaltar             =   =     o7, o8, o8 = orcs    =
     = [St] Strom              =   =                 (bound)  =
     =                         =   =                          =
     = [UH] Unidentified Human =   =                          =
     =                         =   =                          =
     ===========================   ============================

*: Wounded

Ewell, with his lance, and Strom with a spear, hold the front rank by themselves, bracing for the oncoming pack of worgs and goblin riders. The worgs, however, are clever, criss-crossing their paths (w1 crosses to the inside and w2 slides to the outside while w3 and w4 perform a similar manuever on the opposite end) just before reaching the noble warriors in the front line. This distraction is enough to allow the creatures to avoid the tips of the weapons set against them.

The worgs act next.

What was previously the outermost worg on the far left (w1) now crosses inside and captures Ewell off-guard, snapping its ferocious jaws at the already wounded warrior as it passes. Ewell feels searing pain as a chuck of flesh is removed by this menacing bite (-5).

The new leftmost worg (w2) finds itself a nice orc (o1) to snack on. The orc stands no chance as the worg pounces upon it, sending it falling backwards into the ground, crushing it. The unexpected pouce of its mount causes the wounded goblin rider to lose its grip. It, too, lands atop the dead form of the fallen orc... but only manages to join the orc in the afterlife after the impact of the fall is enough to drain its last ounce of life.

Gwillt, seeing the goblin rider launched from its mount in front of him takes the opportunity to put his drawn scimitar to work. Focusing his efforts on the now-riderless worg (w2), he manages to land a quick, downward slice and draw a yelp -- and blood -- from the beast as his blade cuts through its thick fur.

The unidentified human finds the recently wounded worg (w2) as an obvious target as well. Ditching his short bow in favor of his trusty long sword. He, too, is able to take a slice out of his target, hobbling the worg badly.

---

Meanwhile, Strom is able to avoid the piercing spear jabbed at him by the goblin rider (g3) and the ferocious bite attempt by its mount (w3).

The remaining worg (w4), earlier wounded by the unidentified human, splits through the defenses of Ewell and Strom and finds itself presented with a wall of orcs: electing to veer slightly to its left, it absolutely begins feasting on its orcish victim (o7). Its rider (g4), also previously wounded by the unidentified human, must have felt its worg mount was heading the opposite direction as it points its spear at the orc to the other side (o7), missing it badly. Garth, in position to make an attack on this centralized worg/goblin pair makes the goblin pay dearly; a slice from his scimitar is more than enough to finish off what the unidentified human had started. Kaltar blames the uneventful swing of his mace on the fact that Garth managed to kill his intended target moments before he is sure he would have done it himself.

In the same continous motion, Shannigans does an end around so that he would have a shot from the left flank at wolf and rider on that side. The criss-crossing technique the worgs had as they approached did not leave an obvious target like Shannigans had hoped, but he launches an arrow in the direction of the worg/goblin combination facing off against Ewell (w1/g1). He narrowly misses hitting Ewell in the back, but his arrow sinks deep into the goblin rider, killing it instantly.

---

And the aftermath:

Code: Select all

w1         w3
                  [Ew*]     [St*]

w2*     w4*
           [Gw]    o2 o3    o8 o9
              [UH]   [K*][Ga]

[Sh]  
All four worgs remain, but two are wounded (one badly). There is a single goblin rider still alive.

---

End of round one.

---

I will need a new group initiative roll and actions from all players. Note that you do not get to pick your target when firing missiles into melee, which all worgs/goblin are currently engaged in.

If you have any questions about who's where or what's what, let me know.

Otherwise, good luck!

Edited to add:
Goblin 03 was actually already dead (Shannigan's had already killed it). That leaves only the worgs remaining.
Last edited by dmw71 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edit 1: Goblin #3 | Edit 2: Removed dead orcs from 'aftermath' image
-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#29 Post by dmw71 »

Nuke66 wrote:fail
I did not notice this while typing up my response. I had already rolled for Garth since a roll hadn't been made before working on my post, so we'll just stick with my results.

I won't tell if you won't tell. ;)
-- Project --

-- DM --
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#30 Post by Stonjuz »

Seeing the last shot almost hit his own party, Shannigans hopes he doesnt get the snot beat out of him.....again.
He drops the bow and draws for daggers and creeps back up to the group to attack the worgs if the opportunity presents itself, but doesnt jump into the middle of any fighting. Rather , he will wait for a chance to backstab while the worg is focusing on one of the others.
melee dagger thac0 20 [1d20] = 19 dmg [1d4] = 3
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#31 Post by Alethan »

Party Initiative Roll
Initiative [1d10] = 4

Gwilt notes the kid get mauled by the warg in front of him. To the stranger, he shouts,"you keep on this one!" as he rushes forward to assist Ewell and swings at the other warg (W1)...

To Hit, Scimitar [1d20+4] = 16+4 = 20

Damage, Scimitar [1d8+3] = 8+3 = 11

Maybe that got its attention...
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by onlyme »

Alethan wrote: Gwilt notes the kid get mauled by the warg in front of him. To the stranger, he shouts,"you keep on this one!" as he rushes forward to assist Ewell and swings at the other warg (W1)...

Hey. Ewell is a HE not an IT... ;) But, it definitely got his attention...

And attention it is... Ewell, full of adrenaline fed rage, skewers the closest living worg.
lance to hit (+3 str bonus): [1d20+3] = 20+3 = 23 , lance damage on foot 1d6 (+5 Cav and str bonus): [1d6+5 ] = 5+5 = 10
oh so close... second roll a 20: [1d20] = 19
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#33 Post by Alethan »

onlyme wrote:
Alethan wrote: Gwilt notes the kid get mauled by the warg in front of him. To the stranger, he shouts,"you keep on this one!" as he rushes forward to assist Ewell and swings at the other warg (W1)...

Hey. Ewell is a HE not an IT... ;) But, it definitely got his attention...

And attention it is... Ewell, full of adrenaline fed rage, skewers the closest living worg.
lance to hit (+3 str bonus): [1d20+3] = 20+3 = 23 , lance damage on foot 1d6 (+5 Cav and str bonus): [1d6+5 ] = 5+5 = 10
oh so close... second roll a 20: [1d20] = 19
I meant "it"; was referring to the warg, of whose sex I'm unaware. Trying to get its attention, as Ewell is looking pretty beat up.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by onlyme »

Oh, and Ewell lets out a blood curlying scream that would have made William Wallace cower.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by Nuke66 »

Garth work toward the worg in front of him, doing his best, which isn't much.

[1d20+1] = 3+1 = 4 to hit worg#4

fail again, maybe I should let you roll for me!
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#36 Post by dmw71 »

(+20xp, unmodified)

Hey, I just realized something: Experience Orig -500, current -11

Welcome to 1st level! ;)
-- Project --

-- DM --
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by onlyme »

dmw71 wrote: Welcome to 1st level! ;)

Thank you. Ewell would like to think the academy. his parents and all the little people who helped make this possible.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#38 Post by dmw71 »

onlyme wrote:Thank you. Ewell would like to think the academy. his parents and all the little people who helped make this possible.
:lol:

I can't think of a better way to advance, either -- critically hitting an opponent.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#39 Post by Alethan »

He's still just a kid. ;)
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#40 Post by Alethan »

No idea how many hit points these things have... With Ewell's masterfully thruster lance, that might have been enough on its own. I guess it would come down to weapon speed to see what hit first?

Hopefully if he does make it dead, then Gwilt would be able to use his attack against the other warg (W2) and not hack at a dead body? If Gwilt's scimitar attack is faster, then it wouldn't matter, though.

Return to “Adventures in Foxmoor”