01. Situation at the Falls

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 01. Situation at the Falls

#141 Post by onlyme »

Ewell will walk over the the ranger so his conversation is a bit more private. He speaks in a lower tone, to keep the orcs from overhearing.

Honestly, I have no idea who he is or was. The boss there made a reference to him when I had an earlier skirmish with him before the wolf. I was just trying to see if that got us any information, throwing a name around. My guess is that he was scouting, but not sure.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#142 Post by Alethan »

onlyme wrote:Ewell will walk over the the ranger so his conversation is a bit more private. He speaks in a lower tone, to keep the orcs from overhearing.

Honestly, I have no idea who he is or was. The boss there made a reference to him when I had an earlier skirmish with him before the wolf. I was just trying to see if that got us any information, throwing a name around. My guess is that he was scouting, but not sure.

Gwilt turns and looks Ewell in the eyes and says, "Made a reference? I need more. Information is life, lad. What exactly did he say? Think."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by onlyme »

Alethan wrote:Gwilt turns and looks Ewell in the eyes and says, "Made a reference? I need more. Information is life, lad. What exactly did he say? Think."
Ewell offers up the knowledge. I dont remember specifically. I heard a noise and yelled out to whoever made it to show themselves. As I followed it, I heard this boss yell "Krul, Tell the captain to send out the 2nd Company at the sound of the drums. I thought it was rather peculiar, myself.

He watches for a response a moment, and the continues. Well not really. I followed the footsteps, and the boss was laughing aloud, that I think Krul was afraid of me. Honestly, all I know is that there is a Krul. I dont know if he is a great leader or the pissboy.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#144 Post by dmw71 »

onlyme wrote:Ewell was about to continue his enlightening conversation with the orc, but he ponders Gwilt's assertion. Is the Orc confused with the question, or why Krul would have business with humans? Either way, he becomes speechless. He stares at Gwilt.
Everyone -- the original group of characters, the unidentified human and the bound orcs -- all watch in a state of high alert at the second sounding of the now skewered drum. Gwillt and Ewell, even while carrying on a private conversation, are sure to keep a watchful eye on the cave entrance.

---

At this point I will continue to respond to questions and/or post minor actions, but will briefly pause the main action until all players have had an opportunity to consider the current situation and provide a response for their character.
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Round 05

#145 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote: It is also the only creature encountered that had any possession in the form of a belt and a small pouch containing eight gold pieces and ten copper pieces.
As an aside, did anyone pick up the coins yet? I would assume it was Kaltar, as he said he was doing the lootin' of the main group, but he indicated anything found was put in a pile and I just want to make sure the 18 coins don't get left on the ground. Coin is coin, after all...

If nobody, then I'd say Kaltar should hold on to it, for lack of anything better. Just my opinion, though.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Round 05

#146 Post by onlyme »

Alethan wrote:
dmw71 wrote: It is also the only creature encountered that had any possession in the form of a belt and a small pouch containing eight gold pieces and ten copper pieces.
As an aside, did anyone pick up the coins yet? I would assume it was Kaltar, as he said he was doing the lootin' of the main group, but he indicated anything found was put in a pile and I just want to make sure the 18 coins don't get left on the ground. Coin is coin, after all...

If nobody, then I'd say Kaltar should hold on to it, for lack of anything better. Just my opinion, though.

I mentioned that Ewell searched the boss for "spoils", so he would if no one else...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#147 Post by Alethan »

onlyme wrote:Ewell offers up the knowledge. I dont remember specifically. I heard a noise and yelled out to whoever made it to show themselves. As I followed it, I heard this boss yell "Krul, Tell the captain to send out the 2nd Company at the sound of the drums. I thought it was rather peculiar, myself.

He watches for a response a moment, and the continues. Well not really. I followed the footsteps, and the boss was laughing aloud, that I think Krul was afraid of me. Honestly, all I know is that there is a Krul. I dont know if he is a great leader or the pissboy.
At the mention of "the 2nd Company", Gwilt's face goes pale. He unshoulders his bow and draws a flight arrow, setting it to the string.

"How do ya think ya'd fair against 200 orcs?" he whispers to Ewell. He starts scanning the area, looking for the quickest path of retreat, while checking the mouth of the cave occasionally, as well.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by onlyme »

Alethan wrote: At the mention of "the 2nd Company", Gwilt's face goes pale. He unshoulders his bow and draws a flight arrow, setting it to the string.

"How do ya think ya'd fair against 200 orcs?" he whispers to Ewell. He starts scanning the area, looking for the quickest path of retreat, while checking the mouth of the cave occasionally, as well.
Ewell grins and replies, 50/50 at best I have to admit, given the current conditions. If only I had my horse with me, then it wouldnt be a contest... Ewell continues to scan the field of view. The caves for more orcs. The unknown human. The woods where he had earlier arrived from. And of course the bound orcs, attempting to read their body language.

He continues, mainly because he hasnt had too many people to talk to the last few days, and because he figures he needs some support if there were a full company of orcs. I hope you can tell , Gwilt I believe, that I am not lacking in confidence. But, I am not suicidal. I don't want you thinking I cannot be trusted to carry out a noble plan. I dont care for your weaponry, as I mentioned earlier. But, if you can sleep at night, so be it.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#149 Post by Alethan »

onlyme wrote: Ewell grins and replies, 50/50 at best I have to admit, given the current conditions. If only I had my horse with me, then it wouldnt be a contest... Ewell continues to scan the field of view. The caves for more orcs. The unknown human. The woods where he had earlier arrived from. And of course the bound orcs, attempting to read their body language.

He continues, mainly because he hasnt had too many people to talk to the last few days, and because he figures he needs some support if there were a full company of orcs. I hope you can tell , Gwilt I believe, that I am not lacking in confidence. But, I am not suicidal. I don't want you thinking I cannot be trusted to carry out a noble plan. I dont care for your weaponry, as I mentioned earlier. But, if you can sleep at night, so be it.
Gwilt looks down at the bow in his hands, "What, this? The bow is a good weapon! Better'n trying to spear them with a small tree," he adds, glancing down at Ewell's lance. "Right now, I just wish I had one with a longer range..."

(Hope nobody minds the back-and-forth with Gwilt and Ewell until others chime in. Good character development.... :) )
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#150 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:(Hope nobody minds the back-and-forth with Gwilt and Ewell until others chime in. Good character development.... :) )
I know, as a DM, I'm loving it! The differing philosophies should allow for some interesting exchanges.

Keep it up, guys!
-- Project --

-- DM --
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by onlyme »

Ewell realizes he got distracted scanning and didnt finish his discussion with the ranger. He wipes the lance on the grass, trying to clean off the last bit of orcish goo.
Tree, maybe but it serves me well. Keeps me one with nature, you might say. If you really are as resourceful as you appear, you could definitely prove useful, I must admit. Glad to be in your company, good man.

Ewell starts thinking of the gourmet grub he may have a chance at, as he has yet to learn the art of cooking. That class must come later.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#152 Post by Alethan »

"Aye, yer doing good so far, lad. Just keep yer wits about you."

Gwilt frowns as his eyes once again dart to the cave entrance by the waterfall.

"There ain't no 200 soldiers in that cave. The grass leading up to it would be completely crushed and destroyed, with that many hobnailed boots tearing through it." He squints, trying to confirm by sight his memory that the grassy area around the cave was fairly intact, excepting the area where they fought the goblins and the wolf. The dire wolf...

"No, something isn't right here. What were the goblins and the dire wolf doing there if the cave is being used to house orc or human soldiers?"He shakes his head. "There might be sommit in that cave, but it aren't a company of soldiers..."he trails off. Then, ends in a murmur indicating deeper thought, "What kind of creature keeps a dire wolf as a guard dog and goblins for pets?"

(Ugh. Very. Difficult. To. Write. With. Bad. Grammar.)
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#153 Post by saalaria »

Alethan wrote:
onlyme wrote: Ewell grins and replies, 50/50 at best I have to admit, given the current conditions. If only I had my horse with me, then it wouldnt be a contest... Ewell continues to scan the field of view. The caves for more orcs. The unknown human. The woods where he had earlier arrived from. And of course the bound orcs, attempting to read their body language.

Gwilt looks down at the bow in his hands, "What, this? The bow is a good weapon! Better'n trying to spear them with a small tree," he adds, glancing down at Ewell's lance. "Right now, I just wish I had one with a longer range..."

(Hope nobody minds the back-and-forth with Gwilt and Ewell until others chime in. Good character development.... :) )
Not me - unfortunately I am effectively AFk most of the day (its now nearly 10.30pm here) so unable to get on as much as you guys

Kaltar casts Cure Light Wounds on himself....:

Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 3

...and feels refreshed.

char sheet updated

He approaches Ewell : "My friend you have some wounds - do you require some healing?"

DMW - what time do we estimate it to be (as I am down to one spell)?
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#154 Post by dmw71 »

The unidentified human moves towards the fallen orcish leader, careful to not interfere with any actions the rest of the party members may be taking. Ever mindful of the current situation, once he is afforded a closer look at the leader, he muses aloud: "Hmmm. Well equipped with that plate... thinking there may be some other force behind such a well armored orc.... or is this even an orc?" Realizing a dead creature can wait, he rises and nods to the collective group.
Alethan wrote:Gwilt frowns as his eyes once again dart to the cave entrance by the waterfall.
Having overheard their conversation, the unidentified human approaches Gwillt and Ewell, briefly returning Gwillt's focus back to his immediate position. The unidentified human keeps a safe distance between he and the pair before offering: "Well met, strangers. I've been tracking a band of orcs that were causing some trouble in a nearby village - but listening to your story, I come to wonder which group actually may be the cause..."

The unidentified human clearly shares the conern of all in the immediate area, as he diverts his attention in the general direction of the waterfall as well. "Not sure what I'm expectin'. Probably not good, though." he offers.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#155 Post by Alethan »

saalaria wrote:
Not me - unfortunately I am effectively AFk most of the day (its now nearly 10.30pm here) so unable to get on as much as you guys
Ha! In my house that means you still have a good two hours to go! ;)

Perpetually burning candles at both ends...

We're just passing time, mostly. I'm trying to make the conversation fairly inconsequential, just small talk between two people standing on the field of battle next to a dead body in an oven (assuming the sun is shining nicely and keeping that plate armour nice and warm).
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#156 Post by saalaria »

I know what you mean - its the night time waking that does you in finally
Slight amendment to my earlier post - I do sneak off from work from time to time and go on the boards from my blackberry but I find using the dice roller far too fiddly/time consuming - hence having wait hours to cast CLW!...
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#157 Post by dmw71 »

saalaria wrote:...unfortunately I am effectively AFk most of the day (its now nearly 10.30pm here) so unable to get on as much as you guys
No worries, saalaria. You're easily keeping up with the post-per-day expectation and I value your involvement. A few players, myself included, just happen to have greater availability throughout the day so I will encourage light banter like has been taking place, but take it upon myself to not push the "real" action too quickly.

Again, if anyone feels the game is progressing too fast, feel free to let me know.
saalaria wrote:Kaltar casts Cure Light Wounds on himself.
Noted.
saalaria wrote:DMW - what time do we estimate it to be (as I am down to one spell)?
The sun is beginning to lower on the horizon, so it is approaching early evening, or dusk.
-- Project --

-- DM --
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by onlyme »

saalaria wrote: He approaches Ewell : "My friend you have some wounds - do you require some healing?"
Ewell looks confused and nodsHealing? You a doctor? I could definitely use a bit if you time and energy to spare.
Normally I would say to keep the spell for emergencies, but with Ewell's knack for finding damage, probably better to keep the gas tank full as possible.

Dusk? shall we do something with teh orcs, and find a spot in the woods to camp for the night?

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#159 Post by Stonjuz »

"You guys are not just gonna leave them here are you? I dont care what you do with them, but....Hey, I got an idea....We let them think they are escaping and follow from shadow. What do you think?
They may come trying to hunt us, but I doubt it. They may lead us to their friends too.
Take their stuff and maybe masquarade as them? I can sit on someones shoulders and we can try to disguise as this here leader too. No saying it will be easy. What do normal adveturers do in situations like this? "

Shannigans appears anxious to contribute but he knows he has no legitimate idea what the proper course of action should be.
Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#160 Post by Nuke66 »

OOC: Sorry, you guys moved fast today!

Garth, snapping out of his momentary slumber responds to his halfling friend. "Not so sure what we should do, but I am still concerned about the cave."

Listening to the conversation about the loot, he is unconcerned, ignoring it completely.

He walks the line of prisoners, back and forth, searching for eyes of their captives, looking for fear. Selecting his first target, he helps the orc to his feet before leading him away from his compatriots.

Pushing the bound orc to the ground, he begins to speak in Orcish.

Slowly, he starts, "What am I? Do you want to talk?" Waiting for replies, he continues. "What is in the cave? Why beat on the drum? And why was your leader wearing platemail?"

Return to “Adventures in Foxmoor”