Quest #9 "Chauncey's Crab Hunt"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Quest #9 "Chauncey's Crab Hunt"

#41 Post by SirOwen »

Avalaa

Avalaa goes back to the Treehouse. See there, I guess.
"There is no spoon."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen is ready for the crab hunt.
Greys Campaign.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Settles down with a grunt against a tree near Luthar, leaning his head back on it. He is silent for a good while, and appears asleep. Finally, "Hey Luthar. Do you think the crab meat may be no good since it has been eating all these poison frogs and snakes? I mean, you are what you eat, right?"

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger finds a sturdy limb close to the trappings to catch 20 winks on, after securing himself with his belt and the straps of his sleeping bag-sized pack. This way he can observe from above.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

The effect of Luther's compliment is fading fast as Jack feels boredom beginning to creep over him. He hopes the crab comes soon! Or the monkoons! Or the sea monster!
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey surveys the work they have done and is pleased. He scopes out a place to the side of the trap he judges will be "ambushy" - he's been watching the ranger do outdoorsy stuff for half a day, he thinks by now he "gets" how this outdoors stuff works - and prepares the spot for later. He debates internally if his magics will be best employed in luring the monstrous crab or in battle with same. He decides to make the call on the fly when the action commences.

Musing on his spells, he looks up and notices the new wizard fellow with the giant wand heading off to the Tree House. He scampers over and intercepts him before he leaves. "Avalaa. To continue our conversation from before. You must know, i am not particularly... trusting of other wizards. Yet, I do not wish to preclude, at this time, the possibility of 'sharing' spells from our respective grimoires. Perhaps in the indeterminate future, when you or I have located or manufactured the necessary inks and enchanted writing implements, and more importantly, further ameliorated our trust of one another through mutually beneficial cooperation, we might exchange said information selectively and in a limited fashion. Time will tell. You should know, however, that there is one spell I can not and shall never share." He looks a bit worked up by the end of his speech, but then makes an effort and smiles politely.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by SirOwen »

Avalaa

"Chauncey, I wasn't trying to pry all your secrets out of you. I was just thinking we might find some mutual benefit from some sharing. I mean, it's not like I was going to share the secret of turning a poodle into a beast like Rollo."
"There is no spoon."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Urson »

Luther

Luther is half-asleep when Monocar asks his question. He yawns and stretches. It's possible, but I doubt it. These toads are poisonous, sure- but they probl'y wouldn't do worse than give you the shits if you ate one. I heard about some idiot that licked one- he was sick as a dog, seeing sounds and tasting colors for a week.
As big as Mr. Crab is, I'd guess he just digests the poison and passes it right through. I wouldn't eat any of the organ meat, tho. If the poison collects anywhere, it'll be in the liver and kidneys.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:
Urson wrote:Luther
I heard about some idiot that licked one- he was sick as a dog, seeing sounds and tasting colors for a week.
"Seeing sounds and tasting colors?!?" Jack thought. "Hmmm!"
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#50 Post by SirOwen »

Following the events in The Treehouse...

Avalaa

Avalaa and Rollo come back to the beach just before sundown. Rollo has slept most of the day, but Avalaa, having had a good sleep the night before, but only a short nap today, hopes the crab comes out fairly early in the evening.

"Very well, Chauncey," he says. "Where would you like us positioned? Rollo is not here to attack the crab so much as to defend me. He'll only attack if I'm in danger, unless I tell him otherwise." He reaches down and scratches in the deep places behind Rollo's ears. "He's my friend and I won't risk him unnecessarily."
"There is no spoon."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Slips easily to sleep from exhaustion but it is shallow and troubled from coughing. He rouses himself and moves into position just before sunset. He forces himself to take a few deep breaths despite the pain and hacking it causes, and spits out more fluid. He's reminded of the time his brother back home had pneumonia and the healers advised he do the same thing. Leaning against the tree, he hopes this plan works and they can adapt it to take out the sea troll. Monocar's eyes narrowed at the water. He'd stab that besst for every cough before crarving it's face off with the elf's sword. Slowly.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by ChubbyPixie »

SirOwen wrote:Following the events in The Treehouse...

Avalaa

"Very well, Chauncey," he says. "Where would you like us positioned? Rollo is not here to attack the crab so much as to defend me. He'll only attack if I'm in danger, unless I tell him otherwise." He reaches down and scratches in the deep places behind Rollo's ears. "He's my friend and I won't risk him unnecessarily."
"My only advice is to perhaps take up some sort of flanking position that is not in the reeds just there," Chauncey replies, indicating a swath of vegetation. "For that is where the frogs congregate. I'm not yet sure exactly how poisonous they are, but it might be enough to incapacitate or sicken, if not kill outright, for all we know. None of which are conditions I would care to experience when being borne down upon by a giant crustacean. But far be it from me to dictate tactical advice. You must all do as you see fit." He turns back to Avalaa, steeples his fingers for a moment as if hesitating, then, glancing at Rollo, says: "You... did you say you transmuted a poodle? I am, frankly, intrigued."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen returns to the beach from his shack after a nap before evening fully approaches, and gathers with the others. "Perhaps once the crab is eating some of us could move to cut it off from retreat to the sea, those with spears or pole arms that could be set to receive a charge from the creature once it becomes injured?"
Last edited by Storm11 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#54 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Great ideas on this hunt so far!

I will write something up and post a map of the area so everyone can pick a position they would like to be in when the fun starts.

Please stand by. :D

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#55 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Crab Killers
Godsday, 23rd of Reaping
Sunset, Muggy and Buggy

Nap time continues as the brave adventurers ready themselves for what is sure to be a dangerous battle against a much larger foe. Luther and Monocar seem content that their work here is done and that all they need to do now is wait for the thing to scurry by. Lightfinger finds a nice limb to nap on, just like back home. Once the little guy is elevated, he spots a serious problem. With all of the activity in the area, the normally smooth sandy beach is quite rutted up with drag marks from the log and hundreds of deep footprints. The halfling is no expert on the normal actions of everyday crab life, but he is pretty sure that it will notice that something is amiss along this stretch of the beach.

Avalaa and Chauncey continue to discuss viable tactics and preferred positions. Despite their friendly ribbing and fibbing, they both seem to be united in wishing to have a safe and successful hunt for the group. Chauncey is fascinated at the other wizard’s dog, wondering if it really was a poodle at one time. Jack couldn’t be any more bored with all of these preparations, almost wishing he would see the tall sea monster again, just so he had something to do. He ponders the idea of seeing sounds and hearing colors, thinking back to his many years trapped with the faeries. But, like a good little boy, he keeps relitivly quiet and doesn't make a huge fuss over his boredom.

Though the proverbial table appears to be set, each member of the hunt wonders about the meager amount of bait being used to lure in such a large animal. The bait pile is indeed small, but Chauncey reminds the others that the crab comes right past this place to get at its nightly smorgasbord. Other than the rutted up sand, the party seems content to choose their positions and wait till dark. As the sun begins to set, the hunt feels like it is about to begin.

Any Last Actions?

Just let me know where you would all like to be positioned for the fight and we can get this thing rolling.

Alordan 10/10
Saracen Solaris 12/12 1/3 first
Jack 10/10 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Monocar 5/12
Luther 13/13
Raythan 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first / 2/3 first (cleric)
Sotha 10/12 (healed 2 hp from resting)
Lightfinger 7/7
Chauncey the Adequate 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Avalaa 5/5 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first

positions:
The X is the danger zone where the log spear will fall. The two fuzzy circles are the trees that the ropes are slung from. The traps clearing is fairly small with jungle forest around it on 3 sides. The circles are large tree trunks if anyone is inclined to use them to hide behind.
The X is the danger zone where the log spear will fall. The two fuzzy circles are the trees that the ropes are slung from. The traps clearing is fairly small with jungle forest around it on 3 sides. The circles are large tree trunks if anyone is inclined to use them to hide behind.
IMG_1193.JPG (490.37 KiB) Viewed 239 times

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#57 Post by SirOwen »

Avalaa

Avalaa and Rollo will hunker down behind the tree at the edge of the jungle 10' from the 5' indicator key. This will keep him close enough for his most likely spell, close enough to enter melee quickly if he has a sudden failure of common sense, and far enough away not to be obvious.
"There is no spoon."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan, with rope and hook planning underway, joins the group for seafood. He will float on the edge of the trap zone closest to the village. Scanning the trees and the water he stands by with arrow and bow ready...

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen will stick next to Chauncey and make sure he is safe
Greys Campaign.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger roosts in the tree 15' in front of the trap-tree on the right.

Return to “Completed Missions”