OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Quest #9 "Chauncey's Crab Hunt"

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Crab Hunt
Godsday, 23rd of Reaping
Early morning, Getting Hot, Muggy, and Buggy

The most adequate wizard on the island has it on good authority that there is a giant crab living very nearby to Beachtown. It lives off the hundreds of frogs that thrive at the edge of the jungle. It comes out after dark to gorge itself, right at the tree line where the beach butts up to the jungle, only a few hundred yards down the beach.

Chauncey is looking for as many adventurers that he can muster to help out with bringing down the huge creature. He believes that this would go a long way in securing the town a little better and also help with the obvious food shortage.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Quest #9 "Chauncey's Crab Hunt"

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

ChubbyPixie wrote:After an uneventful night, Chauncey will rise early, study his magics, then poke around town to see what transpires with the others. After gathering information here and there from the River Monster party and learning of their near death experience, and furthermore gleaning that the beast friar Saracen seems unwilling to go back out immediately after the River Thing, he approaches the half-orc.

"Hello, my dear Saracen. I'm glad to see you weren't drained of your vital fluid, namely blood, like the late Devrin. I feel like I hardly knew the fellow. Well intentioned, I suppose.... Listen, I've been mulling over some things, piecing things together, and have formulated a plan by which we might potentially solve, as it were, more than one bird. That is to say, with a single stone. Killing it outright. The bird."

Pausing, he realizes perhaps he's not being clear. "Not a bird. A crab. A very, very large crab. One that could... feed the entire town?" He gestures meaningfully all around and smiles slyly. "I know where to find it. I know when it comes. Were we to gather a small force of able souls we might take it down this very evening. What do you say? Are you interested? If so, we must gather a few of the others. It will be a task not without danger, but with much reward. I'll be bringing my considerable talent to bear. It's a shame - I hear the large, unintelligent fellow, Monocar, isn't feeling well. He would be perfect for this." Chauncey, eyes Saracen and awaits his response.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Storm11 wrote:Saracen, leaving Monocars's to head off in search of herbs, hails Chauncey and listens carefully to the magi as he describes the prospect of having a really decent meal. The half-orc nods and licks his tusk as the magic-user continues. "I have expended considerable light magic already trying to mend the mountain, but I do have some of Pholtus' blessing available for such an endeavour. However if we get injured I will have to spend the next day's energy healing those injured, which will again put off dealing with the sea troll. However with some good planing we may be able to take it down with magic without anyone getting hurt yes? We should pool our resources and come up with a plan. I do believe I am in!" he says glancing at the light rippling upon the ocean. "What magic do you have at your disposal? I could potentially blind it with the Blinding Light!"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

I've seen the fisherman..." wheeze. "...gigging crabs with sharpened sticks on the shorelines." Pauses to breath a little more. "I fell some good sized trees that could be sharpened a little, maybe mount it up in the trees..." hack! "Rig it with a line to fall on top of the crab, point down..." hack! hack! hack Cough! Gasp... "Pin it into the ground and let gravity do the work...?" Cough cough cough. He looks at Saracen. "What do you think?"

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger pays attention.

The crab emerges after dark, you say? Hmmm. The tall Hobbit presses a finger to his temple. Pity we can't ask to borrow one or two of those nets the Monkoons used to snare that Elf fellow, what's his name? Derwin? The snares they fashion would be useful in both capturing crab and trapping Trolls. He looks about. Where is Derwin, anyway?

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Slowly gets up and walks... more like lumbers... over to Lightfinger, holding the elf's helm in front of him, splatters of vlood streaked with his own tears still there. The large but sickly man is shaking, and looks very much like he may throttle the halfling, but at the last minute, simply places the helm on his head.

The man mountain then makes his way over to the bar and orders a grog.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Urson »

Luther

Let's not get too carried away with plans until we know what we're lookin' at.

He glances at Jack, sprawled on the sand. Little man, you wanna come with and we'll see if we can scout this thing?
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by ChubbyPixie »

OGRE MAGE wrote:
Storm11 wrote:Saracen, leaving Monocars's to head off in search of herbs, hails Chauncey and listens carefully to the magi as he describes the prospect of having a really decent meal. The half-orc nods and licks his tusk as the magic-user continues. "I have expended considerable light magic already trying to mend the mountain, but I do have some of Pholtus' blessing available for such an endeavour. However if we get injured I will have to spend the next day's energy healing those injured, which will again put off dealing with the sea troll. However with some good planing we may be able to take it down with magic without anyone getting hurt yes? We should pool our resources and come up with a plan. I do believe I am in!" he says glancing at the light rippling upon the ocean. "What magic do you have at your disposal? I could potentially blind it with the Blinding Light!"
"Yes," says Chauncey, delighted, "Indeed, I possess magics that will, hopefully, render the endeavor less of a crab hunt and more of a crab harvest, as it were." He takes in the quickly congregating crowd of interested parties. "That being said, should things prove more difficult than I imagine, some muscle will prove helpful. All are welcome. The job commences this evening after sundown - I'll show you where. It is my understanding that the thing has quite a thick carapace, as you might imagine. Some sort of "booby trap" may not be untoward, though I leave that to the outdoorsy types - I have no knowledge of such things. There is a new mage on the island... ahem!... who may, though his methods are far less subtle and refined than mine own, far more flashy and, in my opinion, bluntly direct... be of help." He purses his lips disapprovingly. "He uses a wand to ameliorate his power." He looks to the others as if to say, can you believe it?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Bored to death of grownups and their endless talking plans, Jack is eternally grateful for Luther's remark and jumps at his offer. "Let's go!"
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Turns to Luthar and Jack. "wait for me..." He waves off the grog before it can be poured and he lumbers over to the ranger and the scout. "I might be sick... but we can plan. I'll pick out a good tree on the way..." He coughs a moment holding up a hand until it passes. "Let's see what we can put together... See if there is a place where the crab seems to come in and out... a path maybe. Then we can target a good spot to ambush it. While we are busy with that, someone can get some hooks and ropes together. If this goes well, maybe something similar will work on the troll."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen gives the thumbs up to the boys. "Perhaps you could get one of the carpenters to make you a wooden shield Monocar?" he says as he waves them off
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

A small group begins to head towards the spot where the crab was last spotted. (anyone who wants to can go along)

Chauncey reminds the group that the behemoth must only come out after dark if the townies have never complained much about it. The beast seems content to dine on the hundreds of frogs that come out to chirp after the sun sets.

The group walks just a short way down the beach and Luther spots the giant crabs tracks and drag marks almost instantly. It looks to come ashore in about the same place each time. There is a distinct path about 40 or 50 feet wide where it must always do its dining. Apparently the frogs must be extremely abundant in this one small area.

There is no sign of the crab now however, and no signs of the frogs either, for that matter. Monocar notices several sets of tall trees that are growing close enough together for his gravity driven log spear pounder idea. The trees line the entire area where the ranger spotted the things tracks.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Here! Just here!" says Chauncey, pleased at all the assistance. "It only, I believe, comes out after dark, you see, because that's when the frogs come out - just after dusk." He stands smiling with his arms folded. "Oh! And the frogs are quite poisonous, as I understand. It's best not to touch them. Or try to keep one as a pet," he adds, looking at Jack.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Jack suddenly pulls his hand back from the frog he was inches away from picking up.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger squints and gets his gears going.

Yes, I believe a trap of the like is possible, He nods thoughtfully, Loomis and I can begin planning as soon as we designate a target area.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Urson »

Luther

I like the giant spear idea. I think that'll do. The big issue will be making sure the crab is in position to get hit.

Luther spends some time- possibly more than needed- kneeling on the ground, studying the tracks. Is there any way to estimate this thing's actual size?

We start by picking a couple of trees to swing the spear from. Then we set up somesthing to channel it into the killzone.

While he's here, Luther will be looking for other game trails, spoor, and fruit-bearing plants.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

While plans are made and traps discussed, the ranger plies his trade in the area, scoping out the sand and vegetation for a long while. He finally comes to reason that the beast they seek must be at least 5 feet in diameter and sport massive claws. Definitely large enough to kill him.

He also spots more tracks that he thinks were made by the monkoons. He only finds one set of animal tracks, likely wild boar. Those look very old and are nearly washed away. Looking around for fruit trees and plants, he sees much of the same as he did in town. The trees have all been picked over already and only bear fruits on the much higher, unreachable branches.

He sees no other sign of steady wildlife in the immediate area. It seems that the town's food shortage could be even worse than folks have been letting on.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

On the way to the crabsite, he looks for a sizable bit managable tree. He will also study the area where Luthar finds the crab path for strong trees to mount their anti crab missile. "I'd think it's safe to say that if the crab is coming here regularly, it wouldn't take much to bate him to do it again. Let's see what we can come up with for a rig now with these trees, and we will worry about the materials next. I can get to work on the treetrunk next. Think there is a enough fish guts from your fishing baskets to make chum bait for it?"

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Can't you tell its size by the tracks?" says Chauncey crouching and peering at the path the ranger indicated earlier as the one the crab used. "These are tracks, aren't they?" he says, himself seeing nothing but the usual undulation of sand. "Anyway, we could simply set your devious trap somewhere in the 40 or 50 feet where it seems most active, judging by the tracks, then spring the trap when it blunders into it. With magical and martial attackers waiting in the wings to rush in and finish it off!" His eyes suddenly light with an idea. "I have no specific knowledge of armor craft, but it seems to me that, once defeated, the crab's carapace could be fashioned to provide some much needed protection from, say, the claws of an aquatic troll?"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen

"It's a pity the Druid isn't here, he could potentially persuade the crab to help us track the sea troll!" the half-orc says with a disappointed sigh.
Greys Campaign.

Return to “Completed Missions”