Quest #9 "Chauncey's Crab Hunt"

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #9 "Chauncey's Crab Hunt"

#21 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Storm11 wrote:Saracen

"It's a pity the Druid isn't here, he could potentially persuade the crab to help us track the sea troll!" the half-orc says with a disappointed sigh.
"Hmmm, yes. Still, I think murdering it is best," says Chauncey. "Think of the feast! Hearts and minds, hearts and minds..."

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by Nuke66 »

Raythan also goes to scout the cab kill zone. He looks for a decent sized tree that might be bendable enough to set a snare.

"Perhaps we could set a large snare for the thing?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Urson »

Luther

We're lookin' at a beast about so big, he says, showing size with his hands. Definitely got claws big enough to kill you, if he decides to. I'm thinkin' this whole side of the island has too many predators and not enough prey- no wonder the village is starvin'

Luther looks around, picking a likely-looking pair of trees for the crab-killer. "Right there- let's get busy. Jack- keep an eye out for critters, huh?"

Luther begins climbing trees, rigging ropes, and otherwise preparing to kill the crab.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:
Urson wrote:Luther
"Right there- let's get busy. Jack- keep an eye out for critters, huh?"
"Yes SIR!" Jack salutes with earnest, gleeful determination. As the grownups work, Jack keeps watch against the swarming predators that endanger the villagers of this island!
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Urson »

Luther

The ranger grins. Don't call me 'sir'. I work for my pay. He laughs, then adds. If you see something edible, shoot that sumbitch. You've got the best eye I've seen in a long time, buddy.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#27 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Crab Killers
Godsday, 23rd of Reaping
Mid Day, Hot, Muggy, and Buggy

A large group of adventurers assemble at the spot where they think the giant crab has been feeding. With the woodsman skills of Luther and Monocar, and the trap setting sense of the thief Lightfinger, they devise their means of a quick kill log spear trap. Monocar helps as best he can, but the fluid still sloshing around in his huge lungs keeps his energy level quite low. He struggles through his sickness, stopping often to hack and wheeze.

Chauncey designates a small area in the shade of the bigger trees to set up his operations. He helps the design team draw out their plans in the sand, trying to keep the process as simple as possible for those with far less adequate minds. After a good chunk of time is spent on the details, the group gets to work with the rope tying and log trimming. They eventually decide on the best spot for their trap and pick two strong trees to use for the main support posts. Luther climbs up each of them to about 50 feet high, cutting grooves and securing some rope loops to rig up his block and tackle.

After most of the morning is spent cutting, bucking, rigging, and finally sharpening their huge spear, the hardworking crew begins to see some progress in their massive undertaking. Eventually a break is taken to eat some lunch and replenish the vital water their bodies need to continue working in these tropical conditions. After fueling up again, the group combines their strength and starts hoisting the log spear high in the air, centered in between the two tall support posts. They rig the whole contraption with a long rip cord so the log can be released from a safe distance of 20 feet away.

It is nearly mid day when they finally get the spear set right where they want it to fall. After a couple of test runs, they perfect the spears functionality completely and are pretty certain that it will work exactly as planned. Raythan takes pity on the sickened and suffering Monocar, touching him to heal more of his maladies. Again the severity of his situation shows through as this spell also barely improves the health of the mountainous man. The half-elf wizard/priest suggests setting a large snare as well, right in the center of the kill zone. Jack keeps a vigilant and only somewhat distracted eye out for anything unwanted sneaking into the trap site. The lost boy visually scouts up and down the beach in both directions, but spots nothing that might threaten the hunters success. He keeps one well trained eye out for a certain sea monster that the group also needs to deal with, but he doesn't see any sign of that huge creature the entire morning.

After a LOT of hard work and planning, the group seems satisfied that their efforts of sweat, sore hands, and scratches will eventually pay off. The only things they can think of that are still left to do is to camouflage the area again, bait the trap, set up the plan of attack, and then just wait until dark.

Any other actions before nightfall?
From the text that you've written, I envisioned a rope system set up in between two tall trees that has a small clearing in between them. The log is raised up (pointy end down) by the ropes secured in the taller trees and is then suspended to hang in the air 20-30 feet off of the ground above the little clearing. Once the rope is pulled to engage the trap, the pointy log will drop straight down and skewer anything directly below it.

I hope that is close enough to what the group was thinking. If not......I will need someone to draw me a picture. :lol:
Though some haven't joined this group yet, I have added everyone that is currently in town to this updated status list.

Alordan 10/10
Saracen Solaris 12/12 1/3 first
Jack 10/10 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Monocar 5/12
Luther 13/13
Raythan 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first / 2/3 first (cleric)
Sotha 10/12 (healed 2 hp from resting)
Lightfinger 7/7
Chauncey the Adequate 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Avalaa 5/5 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar
OGRE MAGE wrote:From the text that you've written, I envisioned a rope system set up in between two tall trees that has a small clearing in between them. The log is raised up (pointy end down) by the ropes secured in the taller trees and is then suspended to hang in the air 20-30 feet off of the ground above the little clearing. Once the rope is pulled to engage the trap, the pointy log will drop straight down and skewer anything directly below it.

I hope that is close enough to what the group was thinking. If not......I will need someone to draw me a picture. :lol:
That is exactly as I envisioned it :)

Monocar finds a place to sit, leaning against a palm and eyeing the trap they have set. As his rattling breaths send him into another coughing fit, he tries to spy any flaws or see if there is any kind of contingency plan in case something goes wrong. "You think there will be any way to swing it or aim it in case the crab moves to the side?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by SirOwen »

(This would not happen until after noon, I think. Our fearless leader would know for sure. :lol: )

Seeing Chauncey and Lightfinger, Avalaa sets off down the beach toward them, staff in hand. As he gets closer, he calls to them, "Chauncey! Lightfinger! Good to see you again." He stares along with them, not really knowing what he is looking for. "Say, I'm not sure what you're doing,
but is there anything I can do to help?"

Once it is explained to him, Avalaa will help pull lines, lift huge spears, etc. (His back isn't all that, but he will put all of it into the effort.) He will also offer to cut a really good trigger for the thing that will hold securely and release cleanly.
"There is no spoon."

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by Nuke66 »

"With some more rope, we could rig a snare using the spear as the snatch mechanism. Tie a rope, run it over that branch, and lay out the loop, just gotta leave some slack so we don't snatch it outta the kill zone. Just a back-up plan, not too much effort, and it just might come in handy." Raythan adds.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger keeps busy.

The Halfing is a flurry of motion under Luther's direction, climbing this tree and that, expertly tying knots and gauging hinges. His own rope and iron spikes put to good use, he occasionally is heard happily mumbling and harrumphing at his work. He steps back several times during the construction period and examines the work from different angles.
Chauncey! Lightfinger! Good to see you again. Say, I'm not sure what you're doing,
but is there anything I can do to help?
Hm? Lightfinger is distracted by the new arrival, I'm sorry, what is your name again? Lavalaa? Please understand, I have no desire to be rude, but business is pressing, and our would-be trap requires my total concentration and a delicate touch. The most minute miscalculation could prove a disaster, or at best a spectacular waste of time. If you'll excuse me?

The dimpled Hobbit seems to have spied something amiss in the rigging above, and hurries in for a closer look. Oh no, oh no indeed, this will not do! He rushes away to another vantage point and seems more relaxed. Oh. Well, I suppose... Hmp.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Avalaa... the... other mage on the island. Ahem!... there you are." says Chauncey, clearly suffering some minor internal conflict. "Yes, we are looking to defeat an enormous crustacean menace. A crab. Do you have any brute and direct magics to bring to bear, should our ingenious trap, or my more subtle and refined incantations fail to finish him off? Perhaps your wand? Er... may I inspect it? I've never seen anything quite like it."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:
The ranger grins. ...You've got the best eye I've seen in a long time, buddy.
A compliment! From his hero!

Jack's tiny chest puffs out with pride, buoying his spirits for another diligent shift of keeping watch against the countless untold dangers of this deadly island!
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Urson »

Luther

The ranger takes one more look at the trap, and finds it good. Looks like it's all done but the waitin'.

Considering the swampy area and the frog population, Luther will borrow one of Jack's arrows to use as a little spear and go gig some frogs. He'll move a hundred yards down the shoreline so he doesn't interfere with the trap or the killzone. He's also foraging for medicinal plants and edible herbs.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by SirOwen »

ChubbyPixie wrote:"Avalaa... the... other mage on the island. Ahem!... there you are." says Chauncey, clearly suffering some minor internal conflict. "Yes, we are looking to defeat an enormous crustacean menace. A crab. Do you have any brute and direct magics to bring to bear, should our ingenious trap, or my more subtle and refined incantations fail to finish him off? Perhaps your wand? Er... may I inspect it? I've never seen anything quite like it."
Avalaa

Avalaa looks at his staff. 'Wand??' he thinks. Then, considering the subtle digs Chauncey seems to prefer, Avalaa hands his staff to Chauncey and returns the compliment. "I'm not sure what you're talking about, Chauncey," he says. "Of course, I suppose your school of magic may have instructed you that an eight foot long, sigil-engraved, enchanted looking walking stick is referred to as a wand. My school has dictated the nomenclature 'Staff' for such an item."

"As for my brute and direct magics, I do believe I have a suitable attack spell. It won't do a lot against such a beast, but with the spear, the various weapons of the warriors here, and your own spells, of course, it will certainly help."
"There is no spoon."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey stares at the "staff," then at Avalaa. His eyes narrow slightly... and a faint smile breaks across his features. "Ah... Aha!" he exclaims, "I see. I see now what you do - a pleasantry! Haha! Well, sir, I think you'll find me as jocular as the next wizard who veritably bristles with power. I was worried we wouldn't 'get along' as they say, but now I see I was mistaken. You, sir, are a 'cut up!' Haha! Good one!" He proceeds to examine the large, staff-sized wand.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Urson »

Luther

Forgot to add this... ooops!

After an hour or so, Luther will return to the others. We may have a long night ahead of us- ya'll should probably get some sleep, if you can.

He finds a half-way comfortable spot in the shade, settles down, and tries to take a nap.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by SirOwen »

Avalaa

"Chauncey," Avalaa says quietly. "I would never hope to fool so powerful an adept as yourself. The staff is merely an ornate prop to keep the violent and the ignorant at a distance. And failing that, it is a solid piece of Dim Forest Ironwood that will properly thrash those foolish enough to persist. However, in the hope of improving both our causes, I would like to propose a spell exchange. Assuming that we do not have matching spellbooks, I would allow you to copy the spells you do not have for the opportunity to do the same. It would make both of us both more powerful and more useful to our compatriots. Is this something that would interest you?"
"There is no spoon."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:
We may have a long night ahead of us- ya'll should probably get some sleep, if you can.
Jack doesn't want to take a nap! Naps are for babies! Jack's not even tired!
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#40 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Crab Killers
Godsday, 23rd of Reaping
Afternoon, Hot, Muggy, and Buggy

Luther is fairly content that the trap will work according to plan, so he sets out looking for some big bait. Once again the man soon realizes sadly that there is simply nothing edible left to eat around this area. He spots a few more of the plants needed to concoct the vital bug repellant salve, but he does not find any of the nocturnal frogs that Chauncey spoke of. The only thing the ranger is able to find for baiting the trap is a few fist sized poisonous toads and 2 small snakes that the townies won’t eat. He squishes them all up into a delicious pulp, well, delicious for a crab maybe. He spreads the goo all around the area under the spear log, hoping that will be enough to draw out the monstrous crustacean.

The ranger then finds a shady spot to lie down and tells the group that they should try to get in a little rest before nightfall. Little Jack is having none of that nonsense, of course. Lightfinger paces and spins, dutifully checking every rope and knot of the contraption to make sure they are set perfectly. Raythan begins looping another rope around the circumference of the kill zone, though he has little knowledge of actual trap setting.

The two wizards Chauncey and Avalaa have a friendly discussion about the size of their……..magical devices and also which spells they should prepare to supplement the others attacks once the crab shows itself. They seem to be getting along quite well and even discuss the possibility of sharing spells someday. Chauncey takes a close look at the younger wizard’s 8’ wand (staff), finding the intricate carvings and artwork to be quite exquisite to behold.

The afternoon rolls along as the crab hunt preparations continue. A few of the townies walk over to see what the group is doing, their mouths watering at the thought of handfuls of fresh crab meat. They don’t stick around long though, once the size of the crab is mentioned.

Actions?

Last chance if there is anything that you want to do before nightfall. If everyone thinks they are ready, then let’s do this thing! (I have added everyone that is currently in town to the list. Anyone who wants to participate is welcome to join in.)

Alordan 10/10
Saracen Solaris 12/12 1/3 first
Jack 10/10 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Monocar 5/12
Luther 13/13
Raythan 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first / 2/3 first (cleric)
Sotha 10/12 (healed 2 hp from resting)
Lightfinger 7/7
Chauncey the Adequate 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Avalaa 5/5 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first

Return to “Completed Missions”