Quest #9 "Chauncey's Crab Hunt"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #9 "Chauncey's Crab Hunt"

#81 Post by Storm11 »

The Orange robed half-orc's mouth drops open. He stares at the human magic-user, impressed. "Wow," he says out loud. "Perhaps you might have suggested you could do that before all the trap building took place? I wouldn't mention it to the others sir wizard. Very impressively done sir."

The half-orc takes off down the beach towards the sleeping crab. "Is there a way to slay it quickly and humanely ranger?" he asks as he closes to Luther
Greys Campaign.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#82 Post by SirOwen »

Avalaa

Seeing the crab collapse, Avalaa tells Rollo, "Rollo, heel." He grasps his staff at length, ready to fight if no one kills the crab quickly.
"There is no spoon."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan will quietly unsheathe his sword and plunge it quickly into the brain of the beast. He's not happy about taking the life from the wild but understands that sometimes the hunter become pray in the circle of life...

(he doesn't break into song at this point, however)

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger skitters down his tree, laughing.

Ha-Haaaa!The Hobbit skips past the crab, eyeing it while clapping his hands to an unheard rhythm. "Adequate" indeed! Well done, dear Wizard, what's your name again? Clancy? A name I won't soon forget, I assure you! Where guile and hunting skills fail, magic prevails!

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by ChubbyPixie »

tkrexx wrote:Lightfinger skitters down his tree, laughing.

Ha-Haaaa!The Hobbit skips past the crab, eyeing it while clapping his hands to an unheard rhythm. "Adequate" indeed! Well done, dear Wizard, what's your name again? Clancy? A name I won't soon forget, I assure you! Where guile and hunting skills fail, magic prevails!
"Yes! Haha! Yes, indeed, it does," Chauncey replies. "Er, the name is... well... nevermind."

Wanting to nip any sore feelings about the day's labor in the bud, he explains: "Fear not! Though my magics have once again proven supremely potent and invaluable, I would not call our day of trap building wasted. No, you see, I was only mostly certain my spell would succeed. Given the size of the creature, there was a chance, however small, that it might not have 'taken,' as it were. Had that been the case, we might have been in for quite a trial, and some of you, undoubtedly, might have perished due to bifurcation - thus, I felt the insurance was necessary. And now, if you don't mind, would one of you with a blade please cut me off one of the claws? I should like to keep it as a trophy of sorts, and, believe it or not, have some magical research that demands use of the contents. The rest should go to some sort of island-themed feast, I should imagine. Someone should let the settlers know." He veritably beams as he waits for one of the fighting types to help him out.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Drops his ROCK and heaves a sigh of relief, the coughs a few times, spitting more fluid into the sand. He was disappointed the trap didn't work as well as he'd hoped, but was still more than happy to avoid a direct conflict. He's died enough for one week...

He steps up to the crab and looks it over. "be easier if we hacked the legs and arms off to carry back, and use the rope to drag the body separate, don't you think?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#88 Post by SirOwen »

Bluehorse wrote:Monocar

Drops his ROCK and heaves a sigh of relief, the coughs a few times, spitting more fluid into the sand. He was disappointed the trap didn't work as well as he'd hoped, but was still more than happy to avoid a direct conflict. He's died enough for one week...

He steps up to the crab and looks it over. "be easier if we hacked the legs and arms off to carry back, and use the rope to drag the body separate, don't you think?"
Avalaa

Avalaa approaches Monocar, "An excellent suggestion. But perhaps we should let the others move the crab. You look a bit.... wobbly... if I may make so bold a statement." The mage gets close enough to offer a shoulder. "You've done enough for today. Let me help. We'll get you back to your bunk and you can get some healing sleep."

Avalaa makes sure Rollo is still following his last order. If not, he re-instates it. "Rollo, Heel."
"There is no spoon."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Finds it hard to argue. He lets himself be led toward beachtown by the mage. "you remind me of someone i should know..." obviously, he is getting a little delirious. Too much time in the sun, too little water, and too much hard work after another near death experience have taken their toll on the large man. It seem strangely obvious just how youthful he is, and one must wonder if it is more driving him to push himself than foolish youthful enthusiasm. Half out of it, he seems oddly satified with the day. "trap almost worked perfectly. Not bad for a first try. Maybe if we adjust it a bit, make it swing at an arch so high... we can use the same idea on the sea troll. Nail him in the chest after we put some hooks in him. Stretch him like a pelt between the trees and skewer him good." he begins hacking again, his chest rattling loudly as he gasp as the cooler night air. For the first time today, he realizes he hasn't eaten and fishes out the sausage, offering one to the mage and another to Rollo before eating one himself between breaths. He is very quiet as he walks, eyeing the water and the trees, forming new plans centered on revenge and surprisingly methodical thoughts.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen will ask the big mountain to carry his flail, strapping his shield to his back as the strong half-orc grabs a claw of the kill once it is dead, and begins dragging it up the beach towards the town. He wonders how to turn some of the crab meat into rations that will last the week.
Greys Campaign.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Jack is crestfallen. No trap. No fight. No adventure. He scowls at Chauncey for ruining all their fun.

Then he gets an idea. "Wait! We can reset the log spear and wake it up!"
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Urson »

Luther

Yeah, I posted before I read all the posts. I missed the whole 'Flops to the ground' thing

Luther does his 'humane kill' thing, and then begins cutting off the legs of the beast, stacking them like young trees. He chuckles at Jack's suggestion. Don't worry, little man- there'll be plenty of adventures to come. Right now, how about you keep an eye on the treeline? This much meat is likely to draw scavengers, and we can use your accuracy with a bow to keep them away.
Once the crab's claws and legs have been removed, Luther will work on getting it flipped onto its back to make it easier to drag/push to the village and the cookfire.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#95 Post by SirOwen »

Avalaa

Avalaa gratefully accepts the sausage, but starts to intercept the one for Rollo. He is uneasy with the idea of anyone else hand feeding him. But he stops himself and lets Monocar feed the big dog. 'It's a live fast, die fast place. Rollo needs to know there are people he can trust besides me, if something happens to me.' he thinks.

When Saracen approaches to ask Monocar to carry his flail, Avalaa offers to do it for him."He's about beat, sir. I promise to leave your flail with him."

Avalaa breathes a sigh of relief when Raythan offers healing. He stands aside, not knowing if physical contact might 'dilute' the healing. Afterwards, he finishes getting Monocar back to his shack and into his bunk. He hangs Saracen's flail on Monocar's hammock pole.

When he is sure Monocar is resting, he and Rollo rejoin the company, looking forward to watching chunks of the huge crustacean boil into food, and celebrating the victory. He approaches Chauncey, smiles and nods."A Sleep charm. Truth to tell, I wouldn't have tried it. I would have thought it was too much beast for such a spell. Damned good call, sir."
"There is no spoon."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Grins a little as he feeds Rollo. He has always had a soft spot for animals, especially dogs. It felt good to do something simple to make someone, even a war hound, feel better. As Saracen ask for assistance freeing his hand he is also more than willing to take the flail but hears Avalaa trump the idea and simply doesn't feel like arguing as she coughs again, reminding him he has already overdone it today.

His mind begins to wonder just about the time that Raythan comes up for another heal attempt. He nods and takes a deep breath, closing his eyes and very purposefully concentrates on opening himself up to the magic and feels more effect this time. He certainly feels steadier on his feet. "Thank you, friend. I appreciate all your help."

Once they are in town, he is worn out again and fails to notice at first that he has been lead to Saracen's shack. Stripping off his armor, weapons, and pack, he settles into a hammock and is fast asleep before Avalaa has the flail put away. He fills the shack with rattle chest snores, arms and legs hanging out of the hammock on all sides as he sways slightly.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by ChubbyPixie »

SirOwen wrote:Avalaa

When he is sure Monocar is resting, he and Rollo rejoin the company, looking forward to watching chunks of the huge crustacean boil into food, and celebrating the victory. He approaches Chauncey, smiles and nods."A Sleep charm. Truth to tell, I wouldn't have tried it. I would have thought it was too much beast for such a spell. Damned good call, sir."
"Well... I suppose there was a chance of failure..." replies Chauncey, clearly flattered, but trying to play it off. "...but, as you may have noted, my enchantments are more potent than usual. I am very highly skilled in the arts, as it were. You may find observing my techniques to be of benefit... eh... on that note, if I may be so bold," he says suddenly, "what exactly are your goals and aspirations on the island? I've noticed you to display some aptitude in magic, but if your aim is to be the island's greatest magician, I'm afraid that slot has already been filled. Perhaps you have some ...other aptitudes?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#98 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Best Laid Plans….
Godsday, 23rd of Reaping
Night Time, Slightly Cooler, Unbearably Buggy

The party members move up to the unmoving crab cautiously, still unsure how this big creature could have simply fallen asleep from a magic spell. Jack looks up at Chauncey with a crinkled up nose, wondering why he would wreck all of their fun so quickly. The boy suggests waking the crab up so the adventure can continue. Luther musses up the boys golden tuft again, telling him to watch out for any other monsters that might come crashing out of the jungle, while he and Alordan plunge their swords into the things vital organs as humanly as possible.

As the beast is then dissected, Lightfinger hops down from his perch and applauds the wizard’s skills, which he happily and arrogantly describes in detail. Avalaa sees the Mountain struggling with his sickness and takes over the burden given to him by Saracen. The wizard gives the large man a shoulder to lean on as they make their way back into town. Saracen thinks of ways to smoke or cure the meat in order to make it into rations as Chauncey claims one of the huge claws for himself.

The monster is parted out and the late night fire ring cooks are notified that they might need a bigger boiling pot. As more and more pieces of the behemoth are dragged to the smoky, bug free fire, the fire tenders realize that they will likely be cooking this ample meal all night long. The townies that are still up help out and thank the group repeatedly, suggesting that the adventurers leave the cooking and smoking up to them, since they will be up on guard duty all night anyway. “In the morning, we will alert the whole town that they are in for a delicious breakfast treat, and lunch, and dinner.” They get right to work cutting up the precious meat so that none will go to waste.

Before putting the still sickly Monocar down for the night, Raythan offers up one more healing prayer, again making the big fighter feel a little better. He is starting to feel as though his ailments might be better after another full night of good sleep. Chauncey and Avalaa have a conversation over mouthfuls of boiled crab. The more adequate of the two continues to spew out more of his usual pleasantries while they chew and swallow the protein rich meat.

Actions?

I will give everyone a little time in case there is anything else you want to do before going to bed for the night.
Then I will advance this along to morning so you can all see the happy x-mas morning style smiles on the faces of the famished townies.
XP and wrap up for this encounter will be forthcoming as well.

Alordan 10/10
Saracen Solaris 12/12 1/3 first
Jack 10/10 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Monocar 8/12
Luther 13/13
Raythan 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first / 1/3 first (cleric)
Lightfinger 7/7
Chauncey the Adequate 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 0/1 first
Avalaa 5/5 CL, DM, RM, 0/1 first

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan heads to bed with a little more confidence that at least something was accomplished on his watch. He'll pick things up in the morning with the blacksmith to secure the hooks and talk to the group about taking care of the troll. Maybe some crab bait might help surface the foul thing.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen willeat his fill of cooked crab and then scower the town asking all present for a spare broken piece of glass or crystal, looking into the bar as he passes. He will retrieve his flail from his shack quietly so as not to waken the sleeping Monocar.

He will then sneak off for another rendezvous as planned.
Greys Campaign.

Return to “Completed Missions”