Quest #3 "Zombie Stomping"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Quest #3 "Zombie Stomping"

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Chauncey wakes up early, first light-ish. After studying his spell book for the day, he immediately goes about gathering up his things and shoving them in his pack for the exploratory journey up the logging road to the presumed source of the zombie infestation.

Traveling around the settlement, he gathers up the members of his party one by one. Those who are still getting organized he requests to meet the expedition at the head of the road leading into the jungle in 30 minutes, island time.

One by one the members of the expedition group start showing up ready to see where this trail leads and wondering if they will find any undead monsters along the way.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #3 "Zombie Stomping"

#2 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Are we all accounted for?" says Chauncey as the others show up. "I am anxious to rid the island of this menace so we can all get on with our various and individual plans and goals."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen wakes as usual early and refreshed and gathers himself together. He will wash briefly and pack his bag carefully, burying his wooden holy symbol and 3 pitons and 4 candles under the sand of the rented shack. Less 10lbs of encumbrance

He will eat a sparing breakfast and wander out to the meeting point and await the others patiently, praying to Pholtus to recover his powers before we set off.
Greys Campaign.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger plops down his pack, grunting.

Yes, it's a burden, but I assure you all that every single item in this pack is absolutely essential to our survival, The Halfling wipes his brow. You realize of course, that during this expedition you muscle-types will need to hustle my gear, from time to time... Never know when my services will require me to scale a cliff, or scout ahead silently!

He waits until all participants are present. Ok. Zombies. Yes. What do we know about them? Word in town is that they are new to this island, maybe two weeks new. Makes me think one of our adventuring predecessors may have set up shop here, and wants to inflict his will. Comments?

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes wanders up, gnawing on a ship's biscuit, as Lightfinger finishes speaking. "So the zombies are new hereabouts, ye say?" he inquires. "I think you have made a shrewd guess about their origin my friend. Either that, or some of our predecessors have disturbed something that should have been left alone."

"Still, if it is something to do with adventurers, it gives us a possible lead to follow. We can look for newly broken trails, or trail markers, or disturbances to the foliage where a heavily laden group may have passed by. I can't imagine just one person wandered into here alone to cause this havoc without some kind of help". Wes pauses for a few moments to listen to the opinions of the other group members.

Finally, before the group sets off, Wes volunteers a couple of pieces of the information he gleaned the day before. "I had a chance to see a monkoon up close yesterday. I reckon they're fairly harmless, so try not to spook them if you do see one. I'll know more after I've had a chance to speak with one of them. I also managed to knock up a mix of stuff that'll keep the worst of the bugs off ye. Here, take some, rub it on ye skin." Wes holds out a cast-off piece of waxed paper from one of his rations, containing a large moist blob of gunky green stuff. "It doesn't look good, and it smells worse, but you'll be glad for it in a little while. And if you see any plants with leaves that look like this, let me know, 'cos I'll need 'em to make more of this". Wes shows the group the leaves from the various plants he collected.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen thanks the Druid and applies the mixture to his skin. "I heard tell that these zombie attacks are new as well, however the zombies themselves are very old. No one recognises them as passing through the town which suggests that the raw materials of these undead have been laying here for quite a while. Perhaps someone discovered a tomb or ancient burial mound or some
Such place whilst exploring the island? Or disturbed an undead master to consciousness by delving into places they shouldn't have been? The possibilities are almost endless. Following the trail sounds like as good a plan as any. A shame we haven't sequestered the rangers services!"
the orange half-orc says untangling his long ginger dreadlocks absently.
Greys Campaign.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"All excellent theories, yes. Ancient tombs uncovered could also, perhaps, mean ancient magical artifacts and tomes of the highest order uncovered..." says Chauncey, his eyes going, maybe, a bit wild for a moment as he stares off at some imaginary treasure only he can see. Snapping back, he looks around. "Anyone seen Brufrig and Ferris? We shall undoubtedly need their combined fighting prowess..."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Storm11 »

"I heard they had taken a trip down the beach aways yesterday, but I retired before they returned." the half-orc says with a shrug. "How long shall we wait upon them do you think?"
Greys Campaign.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Nuke66 »

Ryaytnan wakes and refreshes himself prior to praying. He exits his hut, looking to joins up with he proposed companions.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"Ah, good morning Brother Raythan" booms Wes. "It's good to have you join us on this fine morning, although I fear perhaps you are not yet quite awake. I believe you are intending to join Miss Krystal's group and journey to the logging camp, are you not?"

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris

Excitedly after a short rest and long lie in....

"And it was THIS big, honestly!", says the gnome trying to stretch out his arms oh so wide."Its poison dripping maw, could swallow a man whole, probably two gnomes at once, like stuffing extra fries in your mouth as a greedy kids and chomping away until all that is left is beard and bones!"
Ferris can tell he is having a hard time being a 'teller of tall tales' "tall tails!" he nods combing the sand from his beard and addressing his scabbed wound up with a self made poultice of ripe figs and crushed beetles wrapped in a banana leaf.

"Well, I should be just glad I don't have to make up a wooden leg. That would be too bad, I think. Mr Chauncey Sir, I am good to go."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As this group begins to organize, they see the first group already heading out down the trail.

Luther and Raythan wave as they depart with the others, giving Ferris plenty of time to spin his far fetched fish lizard story. The gnome looks around for his walking buddy, Brufrig as he rubs his swollen leg. He is relieved that he hasn't had to start carving a wooden replacement......yet.

The members of this foray wisely discuss in detail their thoughts and hypotheses regarding what they might find out in the wild. Wes passes around his home made bug repellent paste and lets anyone willing apply some to themselves. He shows the group what plants they should keep an eye out for as they travel so he can continue its production along the way.

Chauncey taps his foot impatiently as they all wait for the dwarf to show up.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Storm11 »

Whilst the team are waiting Saracen steps forward towards the little gnome and shakes his head at the wounded leg injury.

"Taking on lizards indeed. The size of ponies no less. Would you like me to heal that for you little sir? "Repeat after me, the Lord of light his blinding light is right and bright and it shall be done!" the half-orc sighs reverently.

He casts a cure light wounds spell upon the injured little spectralguard, placing his glowing hand upon the wound and watching its shining radiance close the tissue and sinew and skin until it's sealed completely.

[1d8] = 5

"Better?" the dreadlocked holy champion smiles with that grim toothed grin.

Whilst waiting for the dwarf to show Saracen will talk to the others about a suitable marching order to explore, whilst applying the anti-bug paste. "Perhaps Ferris and the dwarf in the front, and then myself and the halfling, with Chauncey and Wes bringing up the rear? That way the little folk can fire their missiles and Wes and I can too over their heads? What do you all think?"
Greys Campaign.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger agrees heartily.

Yes, right, I'm with you! The Hobbit smiles and points at Saracen, I like that idea. Good plan. He collects a wad of Wes' bug goo and applies it generously. Uhm, by the way, did I also mention I heard talk of Owlbears in the jungle? Or Needlemen? Whatever IS a "Needleman?" Sounds most unpleasant. And trees that march about of their own will. Oh and Dragons. Lizards. Dragon-Lizards. He cocks his head and casts his gaze to Ferris, Did you fight a Dragon-Lizard? Anyway, He points again at the Orange Half-Orc, I'm with him.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Jernau35 »

"Well, I don't mind bringing up the rear, says Wes, "but as far as missile weapon's go, the best I can do is this spear. By the time I heaved it over everybody's heads, there wouldn't be much further for it to go." He shakes his head ruefully. "P'raps Chauncey might be best in the middle? We could be attacked from any direction out here, after all."

"If Chauncey were in the middle, and Lightfinger took his place at the back, it might be possible for Lightfinger to remain unseen by potential enemies. If that were so, he may be able to work his way around behind them and attack from the rear".

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#16 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

As the rest of the group is standing around waiting, they eventually see Brufrig, huffing and puffing as he is running to catch up with the rest of the group. Ya shoulda...woke me...woulda been...ok. He pauses to catch his breath after joining the rest of the group. Taking a deep breath and exhaling loudly, he continues, Anyway, hope you didn't have to wait too long for me. Just so you know, there are giant lizards in the woods. We thought we killed something pretty impressive last night, only to find out it was probably only a baby. Mama is unhappy, and I'm sure would love to dine on us if we are unlucky enough to run into her. So, let's not do that. Since we didn't find the goo we were looking for, I filled the spare canteen I bought with water, so I've got some extra. Can't hurt to have extra water, right?

Brufrig is fine with being in the front row, so he can fire his crossbow and then engage in melee if necessary. However, he does use a halberd, so he can attack from the second rank with it if that makes a difference to anyone.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"Y'know, a thought just occurred to me" says the druid. "We've all been learning various things about the island in the short time we've been here. Now Krystal, Monocar and the rest are off to visit the logging camp, and we are off to hunt the zombies, with our theory of 'maybe somebody disturbed something and released them' ". Wes pauses for a moment.

"Did anybody find out when the last load of logs was delivered to Beachtown? Or when anybody last saw any of the loggers in town? Maybe they are the ones who 'disturbed' the zombies from their rest? After all, the last sighting of a zombie we had was the one heading back up the trail. Maybe our two groups are heading to the same place, for different reasons."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Yes, entirely possible," agrees Chauncey, "Their path may lead them into some sort of contact with the zombies, I suppose. But ridding the island of zombies is the task assigned to us, and we alone shall be remunerated for it in the event of the elimination of said creatures." He crosses his arms and looks stern. "I have a verbal agreement!" he adds.
Chauncey: Lawful Neutral Mercenary for Hire :)
"Brufrig! You've arrived. Are we ready, then? Let's 'get after it,' shall we?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Saracen takes advantage of the down time waiting for Brufrig. He uses the enlightened power of his lord of light to heal the nasty bite wound on Ferris’s leg. The ginger priest then suggests a marching order that the group can follow.

Lightfinger also applies some of Wes’s goop to his skin. He agrees to the half-orcs wisdom, sticking very close to the orange robed warrior priest. He begins listing off monsters that he thinks might inhabit the bush, not really even sure what all of them are. Wes suggests that Saracen’s proposed order is sound, but he would switch the mage and the Halfling around.

Brufrig finally shows up at the trail breathing heavy and telling tales of huge lizards that inhabit the bush. He mentions that he has brought extra water as sweat from the oppressive heat rolls down his scarred face. Wes comes up with a brilliant hypothesis and inquires if anyone actually knows when the last time the loggers were in town. The group looks back at him with blank expressions, unsure if anyone bothered to ask.

Chauncey reminds the group that, even if someone else handles the dirty work of eliminating the zombies, his group will be the ones who are compensated. He greets the dwarf after his slightly late arrival and asks the party if they are all ready to depart.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Storm11 »

"Let us form up, and begin our exploration. Can any of you see the zombie tracks at all? Do we all stay as a unit of have scouts off ahead a ways? Come along, the trail is waiting and it's getting colder as we stand here!" Saracen says and begins to move off along the road, hoping the others will follow, form up, and keep alert for signs of danger. He will have his flail and shield ready.
Greys Campaign.

Return to “Completed Missions”