Clearing Trees (What Luther Learned From The Monkoons)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Clearing Trees (What Luther Learned From The Monkoons)

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Luther shares this information freely to anyone that asks or listens.

OGRE MAGE wrote:Luther continues his ascent and eventually reaches the underside of the wooden platform. He suddenly realizes that he has seen the planks used to build these structures before. In fact, he has seen them in several places around Beachtown. It is the same material that his shack and many other buildings around town are made from, including parts of the Treehouse itself.

He reaches up to grab onto the wooden structure as he is pulled the rest of the way through the square opening. The burly ranger finds himself on a well built platform that is about 15 feet square. There are many ropes hanging here and there, most look like makeshift railings but others are obviously connected to the many bridges that span from treetop to treetop in every direction. It was impossible to see from below, but theses creatures have made themselves quite the little metropolis up here in the sky. It is difficult to tell just how vast this monkoon settlement is, as the bridges and structures spread out as far as the eye can see.

Looking around, Luther sees the vine rope elevator he rode up on stretched along one of the long rope bridges and about 20 or so of these monkoon creatures that must have been the ones doing the pulling. He sees another dozen monkoons that are now surrounding him on this platform, all brandishing sharpened sticks that are pointing in his direction. A few of the 3 foot tall creatures are actually waving around small rusting daggers as they all screech and squawk at him loudly and incoherently. As if that wasn't scary enough for the lone human, the ranger then spots the unmoving form of the dark skinned handyman Owen lying in one corner. He is badly beaten and quite bloodied, his hands and feet are tied with more rope and he has a cloth gag wrapped tightly around his eyes and mouth. It is impossible to tell if the man yet lives with this small army of creatures blocking the view.

Monocar continues his climb and Raythan continues to watch it all from far, far below.

Actions?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Just Clearing The Trees (Luther's Side Mission)

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Urson wrote:Luther uses his knowledge of animal behavior to try and make himself look small and harmless- hard to do when you're 6' tall. He slouches, keeps his shoulders hunched, avoids all eye contact. He gestures toward Owen and begins moaning in apparent sadness, trying to move between the monkoons without threatening them.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

OGRE MAGE wrote:All Alone......Again

The monkoons clearly hear your groans of sadness, but they do not budge from their tight circle to allow you to get anywhere near Owen.

They aren't exactly in attack mode, but the do brandish their sharp sticks at you when you try to step forward towards the incapacitated handyman.

You get the feeling that simply bursting through their ranks will entice an attack upon you.

As you ponder your next move, you notice that all of the 20 or so monkoons on the rope bridge begin jumping around and chattering loudly. They seem to be looking at something coming towards them from the opposite direction. From where you are, the branches and leaves of the trees block your view of what they are looking at.

Action?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Urson wrote:Luther will continue being the thoroughly-cowed individual, and wait to see what he can. He's still hurt- and hurting- from the run-in with the gourd pygmies, so he's not looking for another ass-kick.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

OGRE MAGE wrote:The monkoons do not press the attack with their sticks once they see that you are not being aggressive towards them. They just keep you pinned right where you are in the center of the large platform.

After a few moments, you can see what the rope pulling monkoons were looking at and jumping around about. 3 more of these creatures begin walking up the rope bridge towards your platform. The spear wielders seem to get even more relaxed now and all of them smirk at you as if to say, "now you will get what is coming to you".

The 3 newcomers are larger than the others, standing nearly 4 feet tall. The one in the middle, and largest of the 3, steps forward one step from the others once he reaches the platform. This one looks like an obvious leader as the others all look upon him with reverence when he arrives. The ring of spears parts and the leader steps closer to you, chattering something at you that don't understand at all.

Actions?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#6 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Urson wrote:Monocar! STAY PUT! Don't climb any higher!

Take one step forward, head bent, looking at the leader's feet. Hands open, palms forward, away from his sides. I see that we have threatened your homes. We didn't know. We are very sorry, and will not threaten your homes. Please let me tend my wounded.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Once you start speaking, the leader pulls something out of a small pouch that is tied around his waist. The object looks like a large smoky colored glass marble. The creature holds it in his hands tightly as you speak. He closes his eyes and seems to be concentrating very hard as you speak.

You are somewhat shocked when, once you have finished speaking, he replies to you in common, not opening his eyes or looking up at all.

"Why do you continue to hurt us and cut down our trees? We have done nothing to any of you. You people started these tensions between us when you first arrived over 90 moons ago. This man has been cutting trees since he arrived here. Why should we believe that you will stop if we let you go? The last ooman your people sent to speak with us was delicious. And I do so enjoy this little trinket he left for us."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Urson wrote:I am sorry for the trouble and pain we have caused your people, and I am glad you have a tool that will let us talk as equals.

We didn't know you had your villages up here. My people aren't good enough climbers to live in the trees.

We need open ground to grow our food and make our homes. Can we make an agreement? If you show us the areas that you use, we will leave those trees alone. I am sure that each of our peoples make or grow things the others would want. We can trade- become friends, if you are willing.

While I'm sure your people are great warriors, I am also sure that there are creatures here that cause you trouble- if we can become allies, my people can help defend against those things.

What can we do to prove we are peaceful in intentions?

During this speech, Luther stands up straight and looks The Speaker in the face- altho he will be very careful not to meet the creature's eyes if he opens them.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

OGRE MAGE wrote:I am sorry for the trouble and pain we have caused your people, and I am glad you have a tool that will let us talk as equals.

As soon as these words leave your mouth, the monkoon's eyes shoot open in a very surprised expression. He holds the palm of his hand out to you as if to stop you from continuing. He looks back and forth to the others next to him and you would swear that a huge grin covers his furry face. He closes his eyes again and his face contorts into deep concentration as he begins to speak in the common tongue for the second time.

But you people have been trying to kill us since you've arrived here. How can you say that you want to treat us as equals after slaughtering hundreds of us? Are you telling me that some of you are not in league with the evil one?"

We didn't know you had your villages up here. My people aren't good enough climbers to live in the trees.
We need open ground to grow our food and make our homes. Can we make an agreement? If you show us the areas that you use, we will leave those trees alone. I am sure that each of our peoples make or grow things the others would want. We can trade- become friends, if you are willing.
While I'm sure your people are great warriors, I am also sure that there are creatures here that cause you trouble- if we can become allies, my people can help defend against those things.
What can we do to prove we are peaceful in intentions?

The obvious leader of these particular tree folk puffs up a little once you stop talking. He shifts the large marble into only one hand and confers with his kin in a gibberish of chattering and squawking that you don't understand. After a few moments of indistinguishable conversation and body movements, he turns back to you, once again holding the ball in both hands and concentrating intently with his eyes closed.

"We have decided that we will release you unharmed to find out if you are actually willing to help us or not. We will keep your aggressive friend up here for now though, until we have some proof that what you say is true. We are not unwilling to help you, and we may even try to coexist with you, if you are willing to help us out with something first. There is a horrible creature that lives in the sea right off of the sand that you people walk on to gather water every day. It has developed a taste for our flesh and it always attacks those of us that like to frolic in the shallow water to cool off and wash after dark. This huge sea monster has eaten too many of our foolish younglings already, but he is too powerful for us to deal with on our own. If you can eliminate this horrid beast for us, we will be far more inclined to believe that your intentions of peace are true. Is this something that you would be willing to do for us? Bring me this monsters head, and I will release your friend here back to you as well. What do you say to that, large one?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#10 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Urson wrote:Are you telling me that some of you are not in league with the evil one?"

Who is this "Evil One"? I will try to deal with him.

I will be glad to try and kill this creature. If it threatens your people, it may threaten ours, also. Please, tell me everything you can about this creature.

May I examine the man you took captive? I would like to see if he is injured- and treat his wounds if he is.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Still concentrating heavily, the creature speaks to you a third time.

"The evil ooman. The one who came first. He killed many of us. That is why we killed his messenger. I have not seen him lately."

"The sea monster lives in the sea, not far off the beach. I don't know where, exactly. He is huge, like you, but even bigger! It has long claws and sharp, pointy teeth! It is quite hideous, but I don't think it is very smart."

He nods you over to check on Owen, the spear circle parting to allow you through. The dark skinned human is badly scratched and bruised, but has no life threatening injuries. He is currently unconscious, but seems to be breathing normally. You clean up the worst nicks and realize that he should be fine.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Urson wrote:We will fight this creature for you.

It will be much easier for us to avoid the trees of your village if we know which ones they are. Please have your people put red flowers on the trunks of the trees that support your village, and we will not touch them.

Luther nods when he sees that Owen is OK. May I go now? I must talk to my other friends.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

OGRE MAGE wrote:The monkoon looks up from his concentration as you speak. His face contorts into disappointment.

He begins concentrating again and tries to speak. His words sound like their normal communications of chattering squawks and you no longer understand any of it.

He shakes his head in anger and puts the orb back into his little leather side pouch. He points to the vine rope you rode up on and signals for the others to begin lowering you back down through the hole in the platform. He looks at you and points to the trees, shaking his head and making a chopping motion with his hand. He continues shaking his head no and making the chopping motion as you exit the structure.

If there is nothing else you want to do up here, we can move this action back into the public thread now.

Return to “Completed Missions”