Quest #1 "Loggers Run"

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #1 "Loggers Run"

#341 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

Having gotten the gist of the situation, Bonnie is glad to hear that Jack and Krystal rescued the two big men. "Thank you both for saving them. I'm sorry that I wasn't here to help."

She turns to Jack and speaks in Elven: "You are more than you seem Jack. Our people would be proud of the courage you showed today. I'd love to hear what happened."

Bonnie sees Monocar down and brusied. "Glad to see you alive. I assume you have quite the tale to tell, yes?" She extends her hand to help Monocar up.

"I see your point about pushing forward Krystal, but I think we must return to lick our wounds. Another time." She smiles knowingly at Krystal

Bonnie glances at the two loggers. She seems eager to leave.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#342 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Doesn't take Bonnie's hand and wirelessly, very slowly, he rises on shaky legs. He closes his eyes a moment as he regains his balance before opening them again, slowly looking around. He looks almost like he is still driven by instict, not intelligence. Monocar the man isn't home, this is an animal you see before you.

He begins searching, stumbling around. "............water..." he croaks.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#343 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Loggers Camp
Late Morning
Light Rain

Keilif and Raythan expend every bit of their healing powers on the injured adventurers, hoping to get them up on their feet for the return trek back to the safety of Beachtown. The mountain that is Monocar nearly chokes the friendly human sea priest for his efforts. Keilif quickly exits the shack after experiencing yet another less than friendly introduction. Lightfinger asks around for answers, insulting Burt to his face with no concern whatsoever.

Brufrig tries to smooth things over by thanking the loggers for their care and telling them their deeds will be reported to Mr. Nehru. They seem unfazed by the praise. The dwarf mentions that the group should depart for town post haste. Franny also suggests a return trip, wisely asking little Jack what else he has learned out here in the last 24 hours.

Jack isn’t happy that he and his hero Luther won’t be going back into the jungle for more fun and excitement now that all the others have come back to retrieve him. Despite his sour temperament, he answers the female dwarf, giving her vital information, but showing about as much concern over it as one would a shopping list. Luther shakes out his cobwebs and thanks the elf boy profusely, informing him that he now considers him a brother. He thanks sister Krystal as well, terribly glad to still be around, even on this insanely hot, bug infested, floating pile of trees and deadly monsters. The revived ranger is ready and almost happy to begin heading back to town.

Krystal also insults the loggers who are solely responsible for saving their lives. She has no qualms whatsoever about calling them dumbass right to their face. The others might start to wonder if the elf woman has gone crazy or has developed some type of delirium out here while they were away. She actually suggests that the group go BACK into the jungle, despite her entire party almost being killed the last time. She even goes so far as trying to pressure the innocently gullible and currently sensitive Jack into leading the way back up the deadly trail.

Bonnie apologizes to the others for leaving them, her lackluster surprise now unveiled. Despite Burt’s earlier warning, she speaks to Jack in the elven tongue again. She lends a hand to Monocar who immediately refuses her help, trying to get up on his own and asking for some water. She tries to convince Krystal that going back into the jungle would be a bad idea and that the group should stick together until everyone can get back to full health. Ernie and mostly Burt just take the insults, wishing that this giant group of people would just get the hell out of their camp already. Burt actually points out the way back down the trail to Beachtown, in case the party has already forgotten. Neither man says another word to the group.

I am definitely not trying to deter anyone from going off and exploring on their own. As I have already stated, solo adventuring is dangerous, but extremely profitable if one survives.

Monocar 5/12
Luther 7/13
Krystal 5/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Jack 4/10 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Bonnie 6/6
Keilif 9/9 0/3 first
Raythan 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first / 0/3 first (cleric)
Franny Buurlslammer 12/12
Brufrig Granitesunder 15/15
Lightfinger 5/7
Chauncey the Adequate 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#344 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Jack's bruised ego instantly heals at the kind words. His face suddenly beams and he rushes to Luther's side, basking in the warm glow of recognition. "To Beachtown? Sure! Let's go!
"...Um. Don't you want to use the stretcher I made for you?"

Monsieur Rose wrote:Bonnie
She turns to Jack and speaks in Elven: "You are more than you seem Jack. Our people would be proud of the courage you showed today. I'd love to hear what happened."
On the way back, Jack puffs up his little chest and says: "So. We walked! And then we saw them! Hundreds! Hanging in the trees! Then we," he pretends to fire a bow and arrow, "Pew! Bullseye! Yay! But then, 'Oh NO!' So we ran! But no! They caught us! And they got 'em! So we went back!" He waves his arms, "I made 'em go to bed! Then I killed 'em." He grimaces at the thought. "Yuck! Then we scared the rest! And we dragged 'em forever. Then we went to bed. And here we are!" Jack smiles.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#345 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

Bonnie offers Monocar her waterskin "Here. Take it easy. We'll get moving shortly." She steps out of the shack to thank Keilif and Raythan for healing everyone. "You've had a rough 24 hours Keilif. Thanks for coming."

Walking with Jack, Bonnie chats a bit "All that sounds amazing! Thanks for keeping quiet yesterday by the way."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#346 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Looks almost confused at the waterskin then it is obvious he registers what it is and takes it greedily drinking it down. The past (24?) Hours having dehydrated him to the point of single-minded thirst. Makes sense. Someone as large as him would need a lot of water, especially after nearly bleeding out. A bit more calm slowly enters his face as his thirst is slaked and he stumbles out of the shack and into the open air taking a big breath, still looking around almost as if drunk as he takes another pull of water from Bonnie's skin. He honestly doesn't seem to recognize anyone, but his eyes slowly drift to the trail towards the veggie goblins. A very odd look comes over his face as if there is some kind of war going on just under the surface, occasionally he appears to be almost listening to someone as he slowly begins limping forward to the trail murmuring something unintelligable. He winces slightly as his bare foot makes contact with rougher terrain but otherwise seems to not realize it.
Cerub: "INCOMING!" Ducks!

BOOM! CRASH!

Imp: "Uhhh.... did Monocar need advanced algebra? Cause I think we just lost Advanced Algebra..."

Cerub: "He rarely used it... I think he can relearn it later on... oh, no! Not His mother's Cornbread recipe!!! DUCK!"

BONG!!!!

Imp: "OUCH! Cast Iron? Really?" He says rubbing a lump on his horny head.

Cherub: "Well memories do often resemble themselves in a physical way... Mummy always used a cast iron skillet for making cornbread."

Imp: Groans. "Why can't he find a memory about boobies then? What is he looking for anyway? It looks like he is just wrecking the place."

Id: Picks up something and begins laughing maniacally before rushing back over to his TV and slamming whatever memory he finally found into it. It buzzes and whines before playing a serene forested scene with Vivaldi's Spring playing.

Cherub: "I think we are about to find out..."

Imp: "Hey! I know that place... it's the jungle just before..."

Cherub: "Uh oh..."

The music changes dramatically into death metal and Monocar is forced to relive the beating of a lifetime from the Veggie Goblins. Id begins laughing again, loudly, obviously enjoying himself as Monocar's brain becomes focused on the memory. Everything goes on red alert, the alarms going off.

Imp: "Have you been watching Monocar?"

Cherub: "No, you were watching Monocar."

Imp: "No I wasn't."

Cherub: "Yes, you were!"

Imp: "Would I be asking you if I was?"

Cherub: "Were"

Imp: "What?"

Cherub: "Were. Proper common grammar would say that you were in past perfect tense..."

Imp: "WE DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS!!!"

Cherub: "There is always time for good grammar..."

Imp: Groans and then looks over to Id worried. "Well, If I'm not watching Monocar, and you are not watching Monocar, who is driving Monocar?"

Id: Turns around to look over his couch and glares at them mischievously. "ME!"
id.JPG
id.JPG (11.93 KiB) Viewed 239 times
Cherub and Imp look at each other and back to Id. "Uh oh..."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#347 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger hears the Elven tongue.

Jack! The Tallfellow announces, drawing his blade, You know the way back, and your senses are keener than mine. You and I will lead the way back. He glances knowingly at both Krystal and Bonnie. The sooner we get these vast chunks of Humanity back to Beachtown, the better our chances at survival! I bought the Bear Man a score of arrows, by the Stone Circle, I intend to see him use them.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#348 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Yes. Good to see you all living once again." says Chauncey. Searching his feelings, he's fairly certain he actually is happy about this. He looks sideways at Krystal's suggestion at adventuring at once down the same path. Hmmm. While, no doubt, much headway could be made in that direction with one of my talents along... I, for one, have business back in the settlement." He turns and heads out with those returning to the village.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by Spearmint »

Miss Tal

"I am sure there were other side trails passed on the way up to this hovel, perhaps one will show us to better jungle secrets than plants which produce walking vegetables. Worth a look, we have gained nothing so far and like Mr Chauncey the Wonderful says, we can make headway with such talented folk as ourselves?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#350 Post by Urson »

Luther

Luther gathers his gear. If you people want to risk that jungle again right now, go ahead. I'm getting back to town to finish healing. As good as his word, he heads toward the trail back to town, along with whoever else may be headed that way.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#351 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Monsieur Rose wrote:Bonnie steps out of the shack to thank Keilif and Raythan for healing everyone. "You've had a rough 24 hours Keilif. Thanks for coming."
Keilif
"Of course, Bonnie. It is the least that I can do considering what you did for me yesterday. And don't worry too much about me. I have been here longer than any of you and I know how to handle myself out here pretty well. It is the overzealous members of your group that you should be worried about. I have seen some rather large and confident people come to this place in the last few weeks. Most of the ones who are overconfident...." He looks directly at Krystal. "Well, they are all either missing or dead."

The young human nods his head as he looks around carefully at his surroundings, also eager to get back to town without any further trouble. He nods to the woodsmen, still not sure what to make of the strange pair. On the way back down the trail, he lets out a little more about them.

"Those loggers don't exactly carry a real good reputation around here. I think that Mr. Nehru might even be afraid of them. They seem to have run of the island and they do whatever it is they want most of the time. But after talking with those two individuals, I don't really see what all the fuss is about. They didn't seem to bad to me, and they actually helped save you guys for the most part. Trust me when I tell you all this......you do NOT want to be stuck outside around here after the sun sets. Without proper shelter from the insects and other creepy crawlers, you don't sleep, rest, or heal up, and if you are in as bad of shape as these two were..... He motions to Mountaincar and The Bear as he slides his thumb across his neck. "You'd be completely doomed!" The sea priest thinks on it a while longer before continuing. "Those two actually saved your lives, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. I don't think there was any need to keep insulting them the way some of you did."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#352 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger throws up his arms, feigning exasperation.

They weren't really insults, He defends himself with a shrug, Well, perhaps gentle degradations. Nothing so harsh that enemies were made. We should have left them some gold, I suppose, for caring for our Warriors, even tho the one is a clear example of a botched charisma bypass. Gold always has a way of mending bridges... Or is that fences? Anyway, when we reach Beachtown I want to hear all about these creatures you encountered, and how you scared them away.

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#353 Post by Hotgoblin »

Franny watches as the group begins the trek back to Beachtown. She notices Monocaur acting a little strange, so she'll walk over to him. Monocaur, drink up, it's fresh water....you seem sorta out of it, are you feeling ok? Come on let's go back to Beachtown, you ain't in any condition...come on!!

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#354 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Looks at Franny with an empty expression. He was at the head of the trail now, his booted foot already on the trampled path from the day before. He stares at her a moment before looking back at the path and a glimmer of something shows in his eyes again. "It all happened there..." he looks down seeming to notice his missing boot and gear for the first time.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#355 Post by Spearmint »

Miss Tal'

"Well these two logging goonies left behind are just going to be so much dead meat by the time anyone gets back here." says Krystal."All the other loggers are dead and turned into jungle vegetables....I wonder if they taste good? The ones I fought looked a bit turnip like, one had a thatched cut of stalks from his head....bad hair day?, we should at least take a gourd back to the settlement. there was an old mage there, maybe he is a sage with onion folk?"

Must be the heat, Krystal waffles on, but I think the idea a good one. Without anything to show we just bring back more stories and tall tales to the settlement and achieve nothing.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Oblivious to the barrage of knowing glances ricocheting over his head, Jack gives the two lumberjacks a hug. "Goodbye Ernie! Goodbye Burt! Thanks for the sleepover! I have to go home now.
"See you tomorrow!"
he shouts as he scampers down the trail to Beachtown, taking point again.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#359 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow
Mid Afternoon

Franny is finally able to draw the foggy Mountain away from the northern trail so they can all depart with the others. Jack hugs his two sleepover buddies, thanking them and then warning them that he will be back soon. Ernie looks thrilled, Burt, not as much.

Krystal suggests bringing some of the vegymen bodies back to Beachtown as proof of what happened out here. But, since none were actually ever brought out of the jungle, that would require going back up the trail. For some reason, Krystal cannot fight the draw pulling her back to where she was nearly ripped apart and eaten just one day ago.

The rain increases in severity almost as soon as you leave the loggers clearing, coming down so hard at one point that you have to stop and take shelter in the trees for fear of being pommeled senseless. The temperature doesn't really seem to drop that much though, so at least it's a warm rain. It might be slow going in this weather, but at least the monsters must not like it either as the first few hours of the return trip goes by quietly.

The rain starts to let up and then eventually stops, bringing the hungry bugs on you now in full force. Their vast numbers attack every inch of your exposed skin and crawl into every orifice on your bodies. Tiny black flies have started to take a liking to the salty moisture in the corners of your eyes and it is becoming almost futile to try to stop them from congregating there. To make things worse, the humidity rises exponentially now that the rain has passed.

Completely drenched and getting footsore, you pass the marked trail again and continue on. Krystal stares at the trail as she passes, still longing for more action. The trip back trudges along and about an hour before you expect to reach your destination, Jack and Lightfinger spot something up ahead, lying across the middle of the trail about 70 feet ahead of you. Upon further inspection, the figure appears to be a motionless old woman, complete with long frilly dress and laced bonnet. You spot nothing else of interest in the trees or around the figure.

Actions?

Monocar 5/12
Luther 7/13
Krystal 5/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Jack 4/10 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Bonnie 6/6
Keilif 9/9 0/3 first
Raythan 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first / 0/3 first (cleric)
Franny Buurlslammer 12/12
Brufrig Granitesunder 15/15
Lightfinger 5/7
Chauncey the Adequate 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#360 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

"Rain, rain, go away... huh? What's that?!"

Jack darts back to the group and breathlessly reports: "There's a grandma lying in the trail and it looks like she needs help!"
DM:

Player: