Quest #1 "Loggers Run"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Quest #1 "Loggers Run"

#321 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sunday, 21st of Reaping
Getting Later

Time passes as Ernie answers the elf lady, still trying to look busy in front of Burt.

"The two sea priests in our group aint exactly what you might call......what's the word again......pious? They prayed and all that, but they sure didn't worry about things like shrines or alters and crap. Nehru told us the same thing about not allowing religion to be pressed on folks, but our guys never paid much attention to that boob. You know......now that I think about it.....they were both actually pretty mean guys, as far as priests go anyway. I sure wonder where the heck they all are right now."

More time passes as Burt tutors Jack in the ways of lignum. He isn't at all shocked that the little boy has taken to ignoring him mid sentence, never being much for children in the first place. He just goes about his work but keeps an eye on the elf's nice craftsmanship on his stretcher. Once the boy expresses his epiphany about the sap, he speaks up again. "Well, not really like armor, but it does make normal work gloves and other things much more durable and last a lot longer. This is hard work out here and sometimes you have to use what the earth gives you. You elves should be able to understand that, right?"

Time goes on as tiny rain drops continue to fall from the sky. Luckily, the weather doesn't get any worse than a few spotty sprinkles. The stretchers are finally beginning to take shape when, after a couple more hours of cutting, whittling, and tying, voices and footfalls can be heard coming up the wide trail. Jack recognizes one of the voices instantly. It has to be the halfling Lightfinger, complaining about his pack being too heavy and that his clothes are getting wet. The loggers grab their axes out of habit as a large contingency of adventurers enter into the logging camp.

Krystal and Jack are thrilled to see Bonnie, Chauncey, Lightfinger, and Brufrig enter into the clearing. They are a little less happy to see Raythan and Franny, but are glad that they both yet live at least. They have absolutely no idea whatsoever who the young human in the blue robes with the group is. Ernie keeps looking at Burt to see what he will do now that the camp is overrun with strangers yet again. Burt just looks at the group patting his ax in his palm and looking as mean as he can. "Who the hells are all of these people now?"

Actions?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#322 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

"It's all right, Burt! They're our friends," Jack beams.
"And you should be happy to see them! They're going to help us get Luther and the other guy out of your hair!"

"Hello!" the ancient child waves as he walks up to the new arrivals. "We've been adventuring!"
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#323 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger's eyes go wide.

Jack! He drops his heavy pack, We were worried sick! *Ahem* Milady, The tall Hobbit bows slightly and gives a wry smile, Very good to see you also. What of the Bear Man, and the walking mountain? Are they about and well?
Burt just looks at the group patting his ax in his palm and looking as mean as he can. "Who the hells are all of these people now?"
I'm no expert, Glancing sideways at the rude Human, But I doubt that's what an ax was designed for, tapping one's own palm with. Impressive tho it may be, tapping and speaking simultaneously, of course. He silently dismisses the oaf and returns his gaze to Krystal, furrows his prodigious eyebrows and points a thumb. Who is this guy?

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#324 Post by Nuke66 »

Raythan rushes into camp, trying to undo the interpersonal damage that has been done. "Does anyone need help. is anyone still alive?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#325 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:
tkrexx wrote:What of the Bear Man, and the walking mountain? Are they about and well?
Jack frowned. "They maybe had too much adventuring. They're lying down now... in the shack."
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#326 Post by Spearmint »

Miss Tal

Krystal is delighted to see the other adventurers have made it through the jungle trail,

"Oh, we had such a horrendous time, fighting of those wretched veggie-pygmies. I thing some arboreal beast in the deep jungle snatched the loggers away and they succumbed to some fungoid virus and resurfaced as those gourd birthed jungle creatures. Ernie and Bert and all that remain of the twenty plus logger stationed here and they valiantly kept us safe from harm."

The elf girl buffs up the 'efforts' of the loggers, stroking Burts arm. "And we heard them tell us of a Grey Man, the hermit in the forest too."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#327 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie
Ducks into the bush and tries to "double-dip" the shack. No, she doesn't. It was, however, the first thing that popped into my head. :lol:
Bonnie walks into the camp as if she's never been there before. "Adventuring, Jack? Glad to see you guys!" Bonnie seems genuinely glad to see her two kinfolk. She asks them both in Elven "Are the others alive? Also, is there a problem here?"

She stands quietly, assessing the situation.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#328 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Burt glares at Lightfinger as he yanks his arm back away from the hand of Krystal and shows her his ax again in a semi-threatening pose this time. "Get off me! Why are you acting all sweet now? Knock off all that elf talk and quit bringing up the fuckin little grey man! There is no such thing! Ernie was just hallucinating on some jungle mushrooms we found. He has no idea what he saw! Now go get your big friends and get out of our camp!!! I have had enough of these intrusions! We need to get back to work!" The dirty young man is clearly agitated.

Keilif is taken aback by the introduction, seeing all of these people for the very first time. He scowls at Burt and then looks back and forth between Krystal and Jack. "What in heavens name is this? Is that boy your child, madam? How could you be so irresponsible as to bring someone of his few years out this deep into the jungle? We are all in a very dangerous place out here you know!"

After the misunderstood scolding he nods to Bonnie and then looks to Jack. "What do you mean by too much adventuring? If you have injured among you, lead me to them. The Sea Mother should be able to grant me the power to help them! I believe that Raythan would also be willing to help, as he as already stated as much."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#329 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

Seeing Burt hold his axe in a somewhat threatening manner towards Krystal, the dwarf plants the butt-end of his halberd on the ground. Lighten up, buddy. We're here to rescue our friends and get them back to town. There's no need to start flashing your weapon at the lady. We thank you for any help you gave them. Now, where are the others so we can be on our way and out of your hair?

To Krystal, he says Are you okay? I see Jack is fine, how about Luther and Monocar?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#330 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey, having never known any children, is not at all sure what to make of Jack, but nevertheless some instinct in him causes him to feel relief that the boy is well and seemingly unharmed. He makes a mental note to ask the boy what exactly he's doing out here all by himself. But that can wait.

He perks up at the mention of the "grey man." He says nothing, taking Burt's hostility as an indication that he will answer no questions on the subject. He is, however, determined to press Ernie, should the opportunity present itself. He wonders especially if this man is man sized? Or perhaps a bit smaller.

"Yes, let us inspect and repair the adventure weary and be on our way. Lead on, please, sir. Take us to them and we a shall soon be 'out of your hair,' as it were," he says.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#331 Post by Spearmint »

Miss Tal'

Krystal scowls at both Burt and Keliff in turn. "You can lay hands off me and you can 'Lay Hands' on them!" she says pointing in the direction of the shack where Luther and Monocar lie.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#332 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sunday, 21st of Reaping
At The Shack
Nearing Mid Day
Hot, Very Light Rain

Burt
lessens his aggressive stance a little once he is confronted by the stocky Brufrig. His ax is actually meant for chopping trees, not battle. Noticing this, the dwarf also lightens up a tiny bit. The dirty woodsman is thrilled once Chauncey steps up and demands being led to the injured giants lying in his shack. The newcomers notice that Jack and Krystal are also badly injured, even though they don't mention it to anyone.

Burt leads the new group over to the shack and opens the door, watching them all carefully. Inside is a mess of hammock racks that are covered with hanging articles of clothing and towels strewn about everywhere. The smell inside the place reeks of sweat, flatulence, and severe body odor. Luther and Monocar lie unconscious on the dirt floor with nothing more than filthy clothing as their makeshift beds. Luther looks to be injured but still intact, sleeping with a severe scowl on his face, likely from the horrific smell he is forced to breath. Monocar looks quite a bit worse still, a hint of a blue remaining on his face. The huge man has clearly experienced the worst of whatever has happened out here. He is dressed in only his underclothes, one boot, and the breastplate of his armor are all that remain on him. He looks to have been completely stripped of every other thing that he carried and all of his possessions.

Keilif pushes his way through the door’s opening and immediately begins administering aid to the downed men.“How could anyone be expected to survive in this shit hole? We must get these men back on their feet and return them to town where they can rest comfortably in a more sanitary place. I am surprised to see that they still draw breath in this disease ridden hell hole!”

The sea priest calls on the power of his god to heal the men one at a time. He wipes the sweat from the men’s faces with a dry towel as he touches their chests with his bare hand. A faint light emanates from the palm of his hand as he prays over Monocar, trying to bring him out of his current turmoil. After doing this 2 separate times, the giant human slowly opens his eyes, wondering where he is and who the heck is touching him. 2 CLW for 8 healed hit points brings Mono from -5 to 3

He does the same thing for Luther with similar results. 1 CLW for 6 points bringing Luther from -2 to 4 hit points

The pair of burly humans slowly come to and re-enter the world of the living, wondering what day it is.

Actions?

Monocar 3/12
Luther 4/13
Krystal 2/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Jack 4/10 CL DM RM 1/1 first

Bonalure Shyr 6/6
Keilif Zythanthus 9/9 0/3 first
Raythan 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first / 3/3 first (cleric)
Franny Buurlslammer 12/12
Brufrig Granitesunder 15/15
Lightfinger 5/7
Chauncey the Adequate 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first

Welcome back Urson and BH.......finally! :D
(I hope you are both still around)

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#333 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Good to be back OM! Thank you!

Draws a few good breaths and slowly some color comes back to his face. He takes a much deeper breath and then coughs, which jolts hims awake. Feeling a hand on him, all the memories of the fight rush back and he cries out in fury, grasping the hand of the cleric, murder in his eyes, apparently still thinking he is in the fight and moves to strangle the man that just saved him. Maybe it was a realization that his savior was not a veggy glblin, or maybe it was half dead cramped muscles, but he lets go and falls back on the floor growling in pain as he rolls to his side hacking up the fluids that had begun to fill his lungs.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#334 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger peers into the shack and is aghast.

By the Green Hills, what happened here? He demands, glaring first at Burt, before realizing he wouldn't be smart enough to inflict such damage, even to Monocar. He turns instead back to Krystal. The Bear Man is of the wilderness, and the Mountain, well, he's... He's too big to be hurt this way! And too smart to have fallen to THIS one. What could have done this?

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#336 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

The dwarf will address both Burt and Ernie. Thank you for allowing our companions to have use of your lodgings. You may well have saved their lives. I would hate to think what may have befallen them had they slept outdoors in their condition. I will be sure to tell Mr. Nehru of your help. To the others, he asks, Is everyone able to travel? I think it best to return to the safety of the village as soon as we can.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#337 Post by Hotgoblin »

Franny walks over to the shack to verify the health of the other party members. She sees the healers have given aid to the almost dead men. We should leave for Beachtowm sooner, rather than later. She looks for Jack...Have you seen anything else out of place here Jack? Franny believes Jack to be the most inquisitive and innocent and truthful among the adventurers. She opens her satchel to retrieve the waterskin and takes a swig of water, then dabs her forehead with a linen scarf.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#338 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

The grownups take over, like they always do. They talk to each other, heal each other and make their grownup plans, brushing aside Jack even though it was he who cleverly saved Luther! And who talked Ernie into helping save the big dumb one! In one fell swoop, Jack went from hero to just a little kid again.

Jack was about to become an adventuring lumberjack with Luther. It was all set! And now he had to go back to stupid old Beachtown?! No fair.

Pouty, self-pitying and sullen, the boy wanders off until Franny questions him. Jack replies without looking up: "Sigh. We learned how to scare gourd goblins away... The black trees are special... Lots of lumberjacks might be missing... Ernie saw a faerie hermit... Krystal isn't very nice. All right?!" With that, he kicks a rock and mopes off.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#339 Post by Spearmint »

Miss Tal

Krystal,"Now we are all feeling better and more able bodied, perhaps we can show you the gourd creatures that attacked us. It would help the Beachtown settlers if not the dumbass loggers if we knew more of what w faced. Jack knows the way down the trail and I am sure he can sneak along without mishap, "Can't you little bro?!"

Going straight back doesn't appeal, we will just end up trudging up and down the same trail achieving nothing, at least together and well armed we can adventure further. Krystal chats to the others and makes a note of Bonnies' new gloves.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#340 Post by Urson »

Luther

Luther coughs, sounding like bits of his lung are tearing loose. He draws a deep breath as he sits up. JACK! Where are you, boy?

He pulls the boy close with one arm. I saw what you did. I had one foot in the clearing at the end of the path, but I turned back to watch. That was stupid, boy! I told you to save yourself, and what did you do? Dragged my stubborn ass out of the jungle! Luther smiles. That was the bravest gods-damned thing I ever saw. Thank you. From now on, you can tell people you're part of the Bruin Clan, little brother.

The big man nods to Krystal from where he sits on the floor. And you too, Krystal- thank you for saving my life, sister of mine.

He struggles to his feet, looking around for whatever gear he has left. Let's get out of here...
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Return to “Completed Missions”