Quest #1 "Loggers Run"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #1 "Loggers Run"

#301 Post by Bluehorse »

Urson wrote:
Inferno wrote:Jack, lost boy:

Jack's eyes open at dawn. His mouth soon follows. "Everyone! Wake up! It's time to go adventuring!"
Someone catch that evil little lunatic and squish his head....LOL
Ditto!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#302 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sunday, 21st of Reaping, 1389
The Aftermath, Early Morning

Krystal wakes early and studies her books by the light of the candles. Once she is confident that she has a new spell memorized, she begins scoping out the shack and interrogating the last pair of these so called loggers. Even with the increasing daylight the place is dark, incredibly offensive to the smell, and somewhat damp. There is a small table against one wall with a few makeshift stools consisting of short sections of logs turned up on end. There are two racks of hammocks stacked three high that fill up the majority of the room. Most of the dozens of hammocks are empty, but there is clothing and towels strewn around the place, hanging everywhere from the many racks and ropes. The smell of body odor is overwhelming.

There are a few tools stood up against a wall in one corner including a loppers, a thin spade, a long iron pry bar, a metal bladed scraping device, and 2 modified miners picks, but no shovel. The rest of the room is void of anything else of value. There are no foot lockers or cabinets to be seen. Everything of a personal nature such as clothing and towels are hanging out in the open, right in plain sight.

The table has a few normal candles on it and a small covered pail containing what looks like some kind of smelly tallow. The loggers have no medical supplies at all and it looks like they have little else to their names either. They do divulge that two of their fellow loggers were are indeed men of the cloth that were skilled in such matters as handling injury or sickness.

It takes Jack about ten minutes into the morning before he is bored and ready for more exciting adventure. After waking up the others, and annoying the unconscious, he takes a walk outside the shack for a little while, but finds no action out in the clearing. The sky looks a little cloudy this far inland and the lost elf boy senses that some rains might fall before long. It still feels hot out here but it is far less oppressive than it was the day before. The bugs are still intense and unpleasant to deal with, even in the open clearing.

Also moving outside, the elf lady finds little in the way of building materials. There are a lot of the black logs that were felled by the woodcutters, but they are so large that they can only be moved around by about a dozen men or so.

Ernie and Burt also arise, eat some more dried rations for breakfast and then get right back to work. Ernie looks like he wants to tell a story about an old hermit that lives in the jungle, but Burt stares him down into silence. Before resuming their usual chopping and bucking, they first stoke the fire in the pit, piling on lots of green branches and creating plenty of thick white smoke. This action actually brings the amount of bugs to a far more tolerable level. Burt pipes up after seeing the two elves out of Ernie's earshot. "So I suppose you'll be moving along today then? Like I said, we ain't running no flop house out here!"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#304 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

While snooping, Jack casts Detect Magic to see if that turns up anything interesting.

Either way, eventually bored, Jack plops down, opens his pack, pulls out a big storybook the faeries had given him, and leafs through its rhymes and illustrations.

Memorizes two spell slots.

Then, leaving Burt to Krystal, he goes to Ernie with big sad eyes, "We can stay a little longer, can't we Ernie? You still have to tell us about the mysterious jungle hermit!"
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#305 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The impatient Jack finds nothing around the shack or the clearing that radiates as magical in any way. He sits and studies his beautiful book of elf pictures and glyphs for a while before chatting with the intellectually challenged logger.

Ernie looks down at the boy with kind, caring eyes.....until he asks about the jungle hermit.
"What did you say? You know about the grey old man that lives out here? Those other guys said it was just some legend! Did you see him too?"

Monocar -5/12 (unconscious, dead at -7)
Luther -2/13 (unconscious, dead at -6.5)
Krystal 2/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Jack 4/10 CL DM RM 1/1 first

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#306 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

"Nope!" smiles Jack. "I only know what you said about him. What else can you say?"
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#307 Post by Spearmint »

Krystal

will rummage through the clothes left behind, looking for something suitable to clothe Luther in, deep greens and forest tans and bright gaudy stuff for Monocar, extra knitted cardigans from a loving granny or heaven forbid some 'tranny' gear from someone still in the closet. (all this a ruse as Burt ever watches, what she wants to do is search through the stuff of the religious acolytes and snaffle any holy symbols or scrolls, silvered chalice. etc)

"Reminds me of playing 'dress up dolls' when I was a little elf girl, oh about 100 years ago." she says casually.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#308 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sunday, 21st of Reaping
Early Morning

Burt
watches as the she elf searches through the hanging items in his shack. After sensing her frustration at finding nothing but old clothes that wouldn't fit either man, (Luther still has all of his gear and clothing, btw) Burt finally speaks quietly to Krystal, so the others won't hear him.

"Look, I know we got started off on the wrong foot, but I'm really not trying to be a jerk out here. Me an Ernie are pretty nice guys, but I can't exactly say the same thing about some of the others on our crew. Do you understand that? There are a few that wouldn't like you being out here. And there are a few others that would likely do something about it. You guys seem innocent enough to me and I really don't want to see any of you get hurt.......or worse. You guys couldn't take on twenty jungle goblins, I don't think you will have much of a chance against 20 rowdy sailors. So, what I'm trying to say is, the sooner you move along, the better off both of our parties will be. Get it?"

Outside, Ernie and Jack continue their talk.
"Well, I DID see him! And I know it was really there, despite what the others say. A little grey man it was, standing all alone out in the middle of the jungle. I'm sure of it I tell you!!!"

Monocar -5/12 (unconscious, dead at -7)
Luther -2/13 (unconscious, dead at -6.5)
Krystal 2/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Jack 4/10 CL DM RM 1/1 first

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#309 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Jack likes stories!
"I believe you, Ernie!" he insists with a sincere grin. "Was his skin grey? Or just his hair?"

"In which direction did you meet him?"
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#310 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ernie leaks a little more information to the elf boy.
"He was completely grey! Not just his hair! I saw him out here a week or so ago! He wasn't doing anything, just standing out there in the jungle! I saw him right over there!"
He points to the spot just off of the trail to the east, at the southern most area of the loggers clearing.
"Everyone said I was just seeing things or going crazy, but I know what I saw!"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#311 Post by Spearmint »

Miss Tal

Krystal looks deeply into the eyes of Bert,"Oh I do understand, you loggers need time and space in the wilds of this island. But we can't just up and leave these two here by their lonesomes' can we? I am sure Mr Nehru will pay exceptionally well for their aftercare and safe return. Now be a good man will you and fetch some cleaner rags for this one. I think he has emptied his bowels and needs a change. And then we can fix some lunch and you can sit down and tell me all about this old hermit and the other loggers."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#312 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

"I believe you, Ernie!" Jack repeats over his shoulder as he scampers off to where Ernie pointed to see what he can find there.

Maybe the island has faeries?!?! he wonders in astonishment.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#313 Post by Spearmint »

Miss Tal

Krystal asks about the others who came back from the trail."By the way, what happened to the others Franny the dwarf maiden and the other chappie. Did they just leg it back down the trail yesterday?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#314 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sunday, 21st of Reaping
Mid Morning

The morning rolls on as the 2 conscious party members speak and interact with their strange hosts. Jack has a long look around at the area where Ernie said he saw the little grey man, but he doesn't find anything out of the ordinary. Eventually Ernie puts down his ax again and joins the boy in his search.
"I looked around for quite a while myself, but wasn't able to find any evidence that the man was ever here. I didn't even find any footprints, but I swear to you that I saw something out here."
The lost boy doesn't find any faeries to play with.

Eventually Burt exits the shack, ax in hand and ready to get back to work chopping down the last of the black trees. Krystal checks on the injured before following him outside as well. She asks the surly man if they saw Franny and Raythan walking back through the clearing yesterday before all hell broke lose. "I didn't see anyone coming back out from the trail, but maybe Ernie did. We are out here to work, not to play games of hide and seek while we host injured adventurers." The man seems to be getting more upset that nobody is taking his warnings seriously so he starts gathering up long sticks.

"I will tell you what, if I rig you up some branches like a stretcher to lay your friends on so you can pull them back to town, then will you leave? I really don't want the others coming back to find complete strangers settling into our camp. I am serious when I tell you that there is no telling what some of them might do."

As the man starts cutting and tying together the long sticks, rain drops begin to sprinkle down in the clearing.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#315 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Jack likes whittling! To stave off all the soul-crushing boredom of this logging camp, he helps the grumpy grownup build stretchers. Jack's are more fanciful than practical.

At one point he looks up from his arts and crafts project and meets Bert's gaze evenly. "So. You still think your friends are coming back?"
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#316 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Burt seems thrilled that someone is actually helping him to alleviate his current issue. He seems impressed with the little elf's craftsmanship, despite it being less than practical.

"Of course they are coming back, just as soon as they find some more of these black trees to chop down. And when they get here, the four of you better be long gone, you here? I don't want to scare you but, some of those guys are pretty mean and there is no telling what they will do with a woman and a little boy out here." He thinks about the elf boys position for a moment before continuing.

"What is a small boy like you doing out here, anyway? Is Krystal your big sister or something?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#317 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

"Yup!" Jack lies. "Say! What properties do lignum trees have anyway, aside from being tough? People sure go through a lot of trouble to get 'em!" he adds, eager to change the subject.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#318 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Burt smiles at the boy again, wondering why a little kid would even care about the properties of......anything.

"Well, for one thing, this is the hardest wood I have ever seen. It must be good for building very strong forts or homes. Also, there is a unique quality to the sap of these black trees. It is very thick and pliable, almost like a glue. We have used it to coat our work gloves and other clothing and it makes the cloth extra strong and last much longer." He takes a little break from building his wooden man sled and walks over to the nearest felled tree. He points out the sap leaking from the cut end.

"You see there? When the logs lay flat like this, not much leaks out. But when you elevate one end, quite a bit of it can be collected."

Jack notices the tan colored paste that slowly drips out of the cut tree. The sap is sticky and very thick, looking more like paint or glue than actual tree sap.

"Someone back home is paying the captain a LOT of coin for these damn things, so we just keep chopping them down. That is why the others are out trying to find some more."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#319 Post by Spearmint »

Miss Tal'

Krystal
the four of you better be long gone, you hear?
Krystal nods, the logging camp is not the hive of activity that she anticipated still it has revealed some secrets and opportunities.

"We can be gone, just as soon as the others are more than 'walking wounded'. Unless you have some lotions and potions about, Luther and Monobrow are moving for another couple of days?"says the elf lady. "Did the religious among you build any kind of shrine around here, maybe a little stone cairn or a totem idol to pray too. I know Mr Nehru wasn't keen on devout folk back at the settlement so maybe some fancied church planting out in the frontier. "

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#320 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

When Bert starts in with grownup talk, Jack's mind immediately wanders off, unable to pay attention to such boring stuff as glue.
"Oh," he eventually yawns, long after Bert stops talking.

Jack returns to his ornate woodcraft, whistling a merry little tune as he carves likenesses of gourd goblins dancing joyfully in the latticework of Luther's stretcher.

Then he suddenly exclaims, "Wait. Extra strong? Like armor?" he asks Bert, examining the sap coated work clothes.
DM:

Player: