Quest #1 "Loggers Run"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Quest #1 "Loggers Run"

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Krystal, Bonnie, Monocar, and Jack

are all setting out immediately to investigate the loggers trail in hopes of learning more about the layout of the island and its inhabitants. They are going off of Randall's advice to find the loggers camp at the end of the trail in hopes of acquiring information that might not be well known in Beachtown.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Quest #1 "Loggers Run"

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The loggers trail is basically a dirt path that has been clear cut of any trees or other vegetation. It is about 10 feet wide in most places and seems to veer around many immovable objects (large rocks, thick stumps, ridges and gullies, etc.) as it meanders in a mainly northern direction through the dense jungle. There are still many cut logs lying in the rough patches along the path that the loggers must have used to pull their huge trees over in order to get them to shore easier.

The usual sights, sounds, and smells of the jungle are prevalent as the group readies to set out. Many animal and bird calls come from the thick foliage that line both sides of the wide path. The heat of the midday sun beats down at the entrance to the jungle, enticing the adventurers to head into the shade of the trail that is still almost completely covered by the dense canopy of the remaining trees.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Spearmint »

Miss Tal

Krystal walks solemnly with the group, thinking of the unseen dangers ahead. She trust that the quick reflexes of the elf boy and the strong arm of Monocar will prove enough of a shield to her frame. Still, on guard she draws her long sword. She looks over the accompanying elven lady Bonnie. "Tell us of your days here Bonnie. What rumour brought you across the seas? I can see by your dress you have obvious style and 'skills'. It is good to have you along with us instead of being in the 'boorish' camp Did you not feel stifled there?"

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Monsieur Rose »

"Bonnie"

After gathering her bow and sword, Bonnie meets the small group and starts walking along the dusty trail.

"Ah, there's the story isn't it? On the mainland I spent my time working on art projects." Bonnie smiles wistfully at this mention. "Most never really got finished, something or someone would intrude before then. A friend brought the flyer to my attention and I was intrigued." She laughs lightly. "You could say I got distracted by the allure of something new."

"As for my time so far on the island, let's just say that the long rough trip combined with less than quality food left me incapacitated for a few days. I had just started to feel well enough to get around when you and your group showed up."

"I must confess, I do feel more at home in that mockery of civilization, than out here in the jungle. But inspiration can take you many strange places, can it not?"

"How about you? Which family are you from?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

The mean, evil lady said Jack could take point, so he will. He skips 90 feet ahead of the big, dumb, lovestruck Monocar. Blech!

Bow in his little hand, Jack's head is full of erroneous reveries of bravely battling the zombies that have overrun the logging camp!

Adventure at last!
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Just as soon as this groups maiden voyage down the logging trail begins, it comes to a screeching halt. Even over the din of the jungle's noise, a loud shout is suddenly heard coming from behind the four brave souls headed off into the unknown.

They all look back to see Wes and Lightfinger running up the trail behind them. Perhaps the pair has changed their minds and decided to tag along with the group after all.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

When Jack sees the funny halfling and the kind druid catching up to join them, his little face brightens.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Spearmint »

Miss Tal'

Looks and sees the others running furiously to catch up with the group. Ever wary that they might actually be running from something, she cautions the group to shield behind some of the thick bushes or trees about. "Perhaps we should conceal ourselves just in case trouble follows them also.", pointing to some thick bushes and trees. though sneaking into thick foliage with Monocar doesn't quite appeal to her, so she chooses a slim tree to hide her form.

"Jack, what do your keen eyes and senses pick out, just those two or other things in the forest?" Krystal asks, melting into the deep shadows and tall grasses.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Monsieur Rose »

"Bonnie"

Having her pleasant conversation interrupted by shouting and the appearance of two newcomers, Bonnie pauses and sighs.

"Hi there", she shouts back, "Care to join....." She trails off as she notices Miss Tal glide off the path.

Now a bit wary, Bonnie grabs the hilt of her sword and quickly scans the area.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger huffs and puffs when he finally catches the Crew.

Whew! That's quite a jog! He brings forth a fancy looking kerchief and dabs his forehead. I wasn't quite prepared for this heat and humidity. Anyway, there are little things... Monkoons, Randall calls them, up in the trees. Kind of like squirrels, but not. They were watching; we don't know if watching us watch them, or watching you enter the forest. Randall says they're pesky little thieves, if you can imagine that, and that they should be killed on sight. They aren't much by themselves, but they can gang up on a body. We thought we should warn you to keep an eye up. He looks up at Wes, Did I forget anything?

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Turns around to look down the trail and waves big over his head. "Hey did you come to join the party?" He looks over at Krystal. "Hey, where are you going?"

Once Lightfinger and Wes get to them he listens and then looks up half expecting to see little beast flying out of the branches at them. "Monkoons? That sounds.... different.... So are we talking they are pest or should we be on guard?"

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"Well, at first Randall was very upfront that the Monkoons were very dangerous, and we should watch out, probably kill them as soon as we saw them. He said they were always creeping around and stealing things, he'd even heard a rumour that they stole a baby. But then, when I asked him, 'If they're so dangerous, why didn't you warn our friends before they went up the trail?', he changed his tune. Said they're not that dangerous, only in big groups, or if provoked".

"Not sure which version to believe myself. Probably a bit of both. I wouldn't be surprised if they are scavenging around Beachtown, and a small troupe of them is likely to be aggressive if they are disturbed while stealing food. But I doubt they are organizing raids and stealing babies. On the other hand, if they are territorial, yomping right through their territory is likely to provoke them."
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Spearmint »

Miss Tal

Krystal will wait a round before revealing her location and just use the time to look, hear noise, to see if she can spot any of these 'monkoons' about. Never encountering them before, (what are they, cross bred squirrel monkeys?) she will look high in the swaying branches. They probably don't nest but wander like a baboon troop, she suspects, any tell tale droppings and bits of waste food littered about or just suddenly appearing may give her a clue some are about.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The party of four stops their trek down the logging trail to listen to the warnings of Lightfinger and Wes. Each of them scan the trees on both sides of the path, hoping to spot the ferocious flying beasts that look to be half monkey and half raccoon. There are no apparent signs of the creatures anywhere in the trees or on the ground.

Krystal stays hidden in the vegetation just off the trail and strains to hear if any of the little monsters are present nearby. The cacophony of jungle sounds prevent her from picking out anything specific in the trees or on the ground. Lightfinger notices that there is a bit of relief from the blazing sun here under the partial canopy of the jungle, but the humidity actually seems worse with no sea breeze present here.

Nothing seems to have been following the pair of concerned adventures that were just out to warn their recent acquaintances.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

"Thanks, misters!" Jack said with earnest sincerity.

He glanced over his little shoulder at where the evil lady was skulking in hiding. Then he turned back to the kind druid and the funny halfling and looked up into their faces with his big blue eyes. "Um... maybe.. you could come with us?!" he asked hopefully.
"We're exploring the island! We want to warn the logger men about the zombies! And make sure they're okay! We sure could use your help!"
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Monsieur Rose »

"Bonnie"

"Thanks for the warning gentlemen." Bonnie greets the newcomers and nods at Jack "He's right, we could use the extra help, especially with unfriendly fauna around."

Bonnie glances around the group "Speaking for myself, I was just planning on finding this logging group and making an assessment. While it looks like the beach is mainly a jumping off point, I get the feeling that there is more to this place than first appears."

"Or," she says with a smile "I'm bored and am making things up."

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"Well, I'd be lyin' if I said I weren't tempted to join ye. One of the reasons I came to this island was to see what kind of creatures Obad-Hai had placed here, and with these monkoons wandering around, it seems like a ripe opportunity."

"But this place," Wes looks around at the dense foliage crowding around and above the party, "this place is Green Death. Look around ye. Only things going to keep old Wes alive in here are his magic and common sense. I don't have much of the first left right now, but I got plenty of the other. So I'm heading back to the bar and a good night's sleep."

"Good luck and The Shalm's blessings be with you. You coming, Lightfinger?

(Exit Wes, toward the treehouse).
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar Jemara

Listens to the druid and looks around trying to see what he sees then looks a little perplexed as he turns to leave. Scratching his head a bit, "So Oobi-Doobi put a death forrest on the island? Wait, does that mean we won't find anything to eat here? I wonder if there are any more critters up the trail... Sure you won't come with us? Maybe we will find a sabre tooth werebunny or something."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by tkrexx »

You coming, Lightfinger?
The Tall Hobbit jumps as if pricked by a needle. Oh! Oh, Yes. Yes, of course. He turns to leave, then turns back again, an expression of worry on his face none have noticed before. I wish you would all reconsider. Now we know there is danger here, we just don't know ALL the danger. I mean, look at us! No healer, short on fighting Men... Ah, No offense meant, Mr. Human Mountain, but if a shower of those Monkoons came down, or a mess of those Zombies, or who knows what sort of mischief lies out there? This mission needs People of the Forest, like ol' Wes there, and that hairy Bear Guy. I've been hearing stories, seems no one likes those loggers much anyway, and we're here to protect the populace!

There are other stories,
The Thief's face hardens, Of folk, even adventurers, who enter here and never make it back. These stories are common, and the folk never seem to be surprised when it happens. Many of us made this voyage, Wes expended most of his Holy Blessings in the process. He won't be of any help until the morrow. By then we can all get our heads together and know more of what to expect, and how to deal with it.

Me, I'm going to talk to that Dwarf, he seems almost as strong as you,
He nods to Monocar, and that Gnome, I think he's capable enough, and maybe has a trick or two up his sleeve. And I certainly want a word with that Geezer who fried my Zombie. There is help in that downwind village, if we are willing to ask for it. Reconsider, I plead with you, wait until tomorrow for this. If for no other reason, than for the sake of young Jack. I know he's much older than I am, and more talented also, but he hasn't the sense of... Well, he's Jack!

I'm going with Wes now... We're room mates, along with that orange Half-Orc. And Jack. I'm going to scope the townsfolk, and those of us who already have. I will find out what they expect of us, and what has happened before we arrived.
Before Lightfinger leaves, he again spots the young Elven Boy. Jack, come on. You can go this trail tomorrow, I promise.
15 CHR!!!

Return to “Completed Missions”