Monk's Get Thirsty Too: (Jaxsen's side quest)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Monk's Get Thirsty Too: (Jaxsen's side quest)

#21 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gathering Water At The River
Earthday, The 25th of Reaping
Mid Morning, Hot, Humid, Buggy

While salty sweat runs into his eyes, Jaxsen swipes down hard with his halberd before the creature can strike again. His blade cuts through the back of the animal’s neck, severing its spine almost instantly. It drops to the ground at the monk’s feet, twitching in the short grass along this end of the beach.

The monk looks around at the others, catching the last glimpse of the fleeing animals rushing up the trail and away from the tentative women hunters. They chase the big rodents up to the opening of the jungle trail, but none of them are foolish enough to enter the dangerous jungle.

Catching his breath, Jaxsen takes the time to visually search the area as the animals unsettling twitching wanes. The sand of the beach ends rather abruptly at the river’s edge, the two combining to create a wide, barren area of ever shifting sands and tide lines. Closer to the trees, there is a large grassy area that borders the jungle and its dark trail opening. The trail and the river banks both disappear into the dark greenery beyond. On the other side of the wide river mouth, the landscape changes from soft sand to a dark gravel material that eventually changes into the black jagged rocks that make up the entirety of the black cliffs to the east. Openings of many sizes can be seen in the cliff face far off in the distance, indicating that there may be natural caves on the far side of the river, but the monk sees no sign of movement or obvious habitation from that direction.

Marge rushes over to estimate the size of the fresh kill with the others follow along closely behind. “I thought you were gonna lose him at first. You finished him off pretty quick though. Nicely done, friend!”

Jaxsen 4/10

Map

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen appreciates Marge's praise, but speaks up on other matters, while holding his wounds tightly.

"I'm sorry to have to ask, but do any of you women have a piece of skirt or scarf or sleeve that I can use for bandages? My own clothes are already fairly tattered, and the animal got a couple of good bites in on me, to my shame."

OOC: Assuming bandages will not be a problem.

While Jax bandages his wounds, he continues, "Marge, if this grub may make some suggestions, we need to get this animal cleaned quickly. Bralm's children will come for this feast quickly and it will be difficult for some of you. If a couple of you clean and a couple others double up on filling buckets, we can get out of here faster."

As soon as Jax has finished his bandaging, he reclaims the 2 javelins that missed, and places them back in his quiver with the other two. He then helps with either the bucket filling or the animal cleaning. OOC: Depending on which task is behind.

While he is working, Jax asks Marge, "Marge, do you know anything about those caves on the black cliffs across the river?"

Once everything is ready, Jaxsen takes his bucket yoke up again. He offers to carry the carcass, wrapped now in its previous skin, also, as he is bothered the least by the insects.

OOC: Jaxsen knows nothing about cleaning intestines, bladders and such for storage containers, sausage wrappers, etc. I don't see it as part of his training. So he would leave them. However, if any of the women mention their value, he will add them to the bundle, leaving little or nothing behind.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#23 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Mid Morning, Hot, Humid, Buggy

Before the monk's questions is even finished, one of the women is already tearing up strips of cloth from a thin rag while another rushes over to get some fresh water to clean the brave mans wounds before wrapping them with the cloth. These women seem extremely efficient, almost as if their life has depended on that trait in the past.

Marge begins shouting orders and the others snap to attention, filling buckets and preparing the yokes. The large woman pulls out her sharp dagger and instantly gets to work skinning and gutting the dead capybara. She looks like a seasoned pro as she cuts, separates, and cleans out all of the animals innards, leaving very little that isn't wrapped in cloth or stretched out to dry in the sun. In no time at all, she has the thing completely dressed out and cleaned. She smiles at the monk as she wipes away blood and sweat, ready for travel as soon as Jaxsen feels up to it. "I told ya, there were a lot of these things around here a few months ago. This wasn't the first one I've cleaned."

The others need little supervision as their leader works her magic, even going so far as to save the unusable portions of the guts to bring back for fishing bait. Once the work is finished, they all line up again, ready to head back to town with their spoils. Marge shakes her head as the question is asked about the caves in the cliffs.

"Nobody knows what's over there. I don't think anyone from Beachtown who has tried to cross the river has ever come back to tell about it. Captain Quark says there is a long stretch of those black cliffs that go on for many miles along the islands coast, but I don't know of anyone who has been brave enough to cross the river to take a closer look. I have heard rumors though. They say that an old evil harpy-like woman lives in one of the bigger caves. All the more reason to not go snooping around if you ask me!"

The woman checks over her crew and looks again at Jaxsen's dressings. "Well, do your bite wounds feel good enough to try the trip home?"

Jaxsen 4/10

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Completely unused to this level of care, Jaxsen actually blushes. He thanks them again and again.

When Marge asks if he is ready, Jaxsen checks his weapons and gear, bends down under his yoke, and stands up.

"Yes, ma'am. Ready to go." As before, he takes the side of the caravan facing the ocean.

Just a bit into the walk, Jax adds,"Marge, your team is the most efficient, hard working part of this hive I have seen yet. You will succeed here. I know Bralm loves you already." Then he follows his own advice and focuses on his surroundings and his destination, not the load on his shoulders or the pain in his leg. The buzzing of insects becomes the soft humming of his goddess in his ear.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#25 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Late Morning, Hot, Humid, Buggy

Marge puffs up even bigger once told that she and her girls are hard workers.

"Like I already told ya, out here, you gotta be."

With the sun high over head by now due to their short delay, the train of water gatherers begins making their way back towards Beachtown with full pails and a big bundle of fresh meat. Jaxsen stays between the girls and the ocean, in case anything pops out for a quick snack.

The annoying bugs catch the scent of the bloody flesh, causing them to come out of the safety of their shady jungle and swarm the travelers even worse than before. The girls swat and slap away at them when the land on them or buzz their faces. Jaxsen tries to ignore the unnecessary murder, hearing only the whispers of Bralm in his ear as he walks along.

About half way back to town, Marge stops the train again and points to a greenish fin that is sticking up out of the water about 50 feet off shore. The fin seems to be following along with the group from a safe distance.

"Looks like ol' Scraggly is getting hungry again. We better get a move on it before he comes up on shore to say hello."

Jaxsen 4/10

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen makes note of the size, shape and color of the fin, trying to imagine what the rest of the creature must look like. He does not stop moving, but sets his pace so as to keep himself in a line between the fin and the largest part of the water train. Whatever "'Ol Scraggly" is, he will face Jaxsen before he gets any of the members of his hive. But the water is the mission now, so he does not offer a challenge or permit himself to become an easy target.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#27 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Midday, Hot, Humid, Buggy

Nodding at Jaxsen, Marge picks up the pace of the walking crew, hoping the beast is just being nosey again and wont actually attack.

The group keeps moving along and is eventually able to outdistance the trailing fin. Jaxsen watches the thing closely and every few moments notices a roundish head attached to the green fin that pops up out of the water a few inches until just its eyes are above the waterline. It watches the group intently, but does not show any more of itself to them as they pass. Marge speaks up again as the danger seems to wane.

"Like I said, he wont attack a big group. He is smart enough to know when to pick his battles."

After a couple more hours of walking, the group arrives safely back at Beachtown just after noon with their water and their latest prized catch.

"The cooks will likely get this thing started right away for tonight's meal. You will be offered the biggest portion, of course."

Jaxsen 4/10

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen smiles and shakes his head. "No. I don't need any more than anyone else. No one will go hungry on my account."

Jax considers for a moment. "But if you could tell me who dries meat for the hive, I would be grateful." He looks a bit sheepish. "I have discovered that some find it strange, but I do not use fire except in great need. So most of my food is dried or raw." The look on his face clearly says that he hopes Marge doesn't think him too strange.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#29 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Marge just stares back at the man, thinking his comment to be very strange indeed.

"What in the hell do you mean you don't use fire? You just eat raw meat? Is that part of Bralm's way as well? Because I for one am cooking anything and EVERYTHING that we kill on this island. You can get really sick otherwise."

Not wanting to further judge the man who procured the meat in the first place, she continues.

"The cooks down at the fire pit would be the guys to talk to about drying meat, though I still don't quite understand it. They have a nice little smoking hut built just past the shacks as well. Can you eat things that are smoked, er no?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

"No, Marge," says Jax. "Bralm doesn't ask her worshippers to avoid fire. That is one of the beliefs of my order. We sun-dry our meat and eat most vegetables raw." He smiles at her again. "And yes, smoking will do in a pinch."
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#31 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Marge replies in her usual tactless fashion.

"That's a relief if I ever decide to convert. I ain't eating my food raw. Sounds just awful if you ask me, and I'm not sure why someone would even think of doing it."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen looks a little flummoxed. "Sometimes I am not sure when someone really wants to know something or if they are merely explaining why they are happy not knowing. I'm sorry, Marge. Are you asking me why we don't use fire? Or just pointing out that you're glad that you do?" There is an oddly childlike bewilderment in his eyes.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#33 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Marge looks confused again, but answers the young man anyway, not wanting to seem rude.

"Ummmmm, both, I guess? Ok, I'll bite then. Why don't you use fire to cook your food? That just seems strange to me. No offense ment, of course "

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

"No offense taken," Jaxsen answers. "In my order, we especially revere the Queen's Children. Insects. And insects do not use fire and are often destroyed by it. So we avoid it. Sometimes we have to have it for light, but that is about it. Mind you, most of Bralm's faithful do not feel that way. Like I said, just my order."

Jaxsen helps the crew get the water to whatever storage system they use. He then follows Marge to the smoking hut and takes his share (and just his share) and strips it into something that can be smoked relatively quickly.

OOC: My first Google under "How long to smoke jerky" said about 4-6 hours at 160 degrees. Not sure how that translates to what they have on the island. https://www.charbroil.com/community/mak ... ic-smoker/
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#35 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Marge and Jaxsen talk more about the monks ways as they leave the water barrel to move over to the fire pit and the cooking area.

"Well, I'll say it again. If you love bugs, you sure came to the right place.

"Your order sounds very strict to me. But I don't know many like you, so I am certainly no expert in the field. I am glad to have met you though. You seem like a real good guy and I think you will be an asset to our little...........hive here."

She says the last bit with a sincere smile on her face and with no mockery in her tone.

The cooks take the meat and let you help them cut it into thin strips for smoking. They cant promise that no insects will be hurt from the fire or smoke, but they do assure the pair that the meat will be ready for consumption by their evening meal.

I will get a little XP award written up for this encounter once I am caught up with the other threads. You can continue RPing here if you want, or we can jump ahead a few hours so the others will have arrived back at town. Totally up to you what you do from here.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen checks the dressing on his wounds and then gets to work. He helps Marge (or whoever) lay the table for dinner. He goes out of his way to meet as many of the townsfolk as he can. He also offers to help serve dinner and clean up afterwards.

If anyone makes a point of thanking him, either for the entree, or the help, he deflects the praise, stating that Bralm sends help where help is needed.

And when the last spoon is washed, and the last pot is put away, Jaxsen will praise the efforts and teamwork of all those who helped.

He makes a point of asking around about local healers, clerics or otherwise, and where they might be found come morning.

He finally returns to his shack, offers up his prayers to Bralm with hope that he did better today, and goes to sleep.
"There is no spoon."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

OOC: Just a fast addendum, because I didn't actually say it, but between serving dinner and clean up, Jax does sit and eat.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#38 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jaxsen fits right in with the worker bees, prepping the meat and actually taking the time to help serve the evening meal as well. The varmint that he brought to the cooks isn't enough to feed everyone in town, but the monk makes sure that every person who was along on the water gathering trip gets their share and enough for their families to eat as well. After the free crab boil from the night before, a few of the ubiquities adventurers around town come by to see what is on the menu, but they are quickly ushered away by the cooks as they did not help to procure this meal.

Tonight's smaller feast is held in the open area near the communal buildings to the west of the tavern. The devout follower of Bralm is thanked profusely for the fresh meat all through the dinner, to which he points out everyone else who helped. The more the monk speaks, the more the folks around him revel in his words. Large Marge sits at the head of one long table and smiles from ear to ear listening to the young man getting to know the hardest workers of the town. She is certain that she has found a fine addition to her makeshift island family.

After asking about priests or healers, one older gentleman who sounds like he has been around for some time replies.

"We had a powerful priest along with us at the beginning of this little experiment, but he was not very well liked by most of the rest of us, including me. He seemed a little too hoity toity to be out here dealing with the hardships of the rest of us. I haven't seen him in weeks now, so I'm guessing that he went out into the jungle somewhere and got himself killed...... or worse. There are a few other clerics around that go out adventuring. They don't spend a lot of time with us common folk, though. I have heard about one refreshing bit of news recently. It seems that there is a half-elf that plans on sticking around here for a time. He is even building himself a house to live in. Can you imagine? Coming to this place and the first thing that you do is start building a residence? That says a lot about that one if you ask me. Raythan I think he is called, his place is just over there."

The old man points to the area east of the loggers trail where the log home is being built back in the trees past the newly trimmed clearing.

After speaking with several of the townies for a while, Jax starts to feel right at home here already. He leaves the dinner with a smile and a partially filled belly, ready for some sleep and to see what tomorrow will bring.

I don't remember if Jax had lodgings set up yet or not. :oops: If he didn't, the townies will offer him a spot in the common house.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by SirOwen »

Moved this to the "Everyday Life in Beachtown" thread.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#40 Post by OGRE MAGE »

NICE! :D

I will retire this thread to the completed missions file then.

Return to “Completed Missions”