Chapter 24 - The Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, part 1

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Chapter 24 - The Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, part 1

#561 Post by badams30 »

Grimes - Fighter

Grimes does his best to stifle his laughter and with a sideways glance, he stands ramrod straight and points to our veggie pooch and says in his deepest authority voice "I am Grimes of Poseidon! And these are my friends." He nods toward Ulster and says "And this is Ulster! He is a friend of plants and nature... and, uh... other planty stuff and things."

He quickly defers to our resident Druid in hopes he can right this wayward ship...

OOC: Sorry to leave you holding the bag, Ulster. So sayeth Grimes, the plant whisperer. BTW, I want that device they have...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#562 Post by Zhym »

Ulster finds himself once again having a conversation with plants. He's talked to the trees plenty of times, and sometimes they've even listened to him, but rarely have they talked back.

"Drop your weapons and let's talk," he tells the plant man.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#563 Post by greyarea »

The bit of metal spits and crackles, relating terms to the planet guy. He listens and replies, We drop our weapons if you drop yours. You invade our territory with a green thornie at your side, and his weapons he cannot drop. Why do you come here and slaughter my people and raid our foodstuffs GrimesofPoseidon and Ulsterheisafriendofplants?

Actions?

Hit points and marching order
Grimes 69/69
--Dandy 39/40 < Cure Light Wounds x6,Bless, Hold Personx2, Find Traps, Augury, Silence 15'r,Glyph of Warding, Remove Curse, Dispel Magic, Speak With the Dead,Protection from Evil 10' radius, Cure serious woundsx3,Raise dead,plane shift >
Castinus 37/39
--Furuk 75/78
Ulster 62/62 < see char sheet >
Dieter 39/42 < see char sheet >
--Algrim 60/70

Fido

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#564 Post by Zhym »

"You attacked us," counters Ulster. "I am friend of plants, unless they get out of control. Then I weed and prune. You know only a little of our strength. Do not force us to show our true power. Drop your weapons and be friends. I swear by sun and soil we will not attack you if you do. Or attack us and wither."

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#565 Post by greyarea »

We defended our territory. You invaded our food supply. You have with you that green thornie. You, I think, are no friend to us. I think you were sent here by the greens to attack us browns, says the chief. I held back my warriors when you came into this room. I parley with you and you offer nothing but threats. Yes, I think you are thralls of the greens.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#566 Post by Zhym »

Ulster pauses and considers the Balance. Lasting peace is balanced, but so is constant war if both sides are equal. Ulster made friends with the green leader, or at least reached some kind of truce, and only killed a few greens. Many more browns have died already. If he kills their leader, he will have given the greens an advantage. Maybe enough to kill the remaining browns.

He wonders whether he should try to negotiate a peace agreement between the greens and browns. Druids, ever neutral and possessed of unusual charisma, have long acted as mediators in disputes. But the greens and browns fight over scarce food. The war helps keep the population down. Many would rather die in battle than of starvation. Sure, he could feed them, but he cannot stay here. This is not his grove, his forest. War is the natural way, even in this unnatural place.

He resolves to attempt a peaceful solution one more time.

Ulster rolls his eyes and sighs. "If I were thrall of the greens, you wouldn't be here right now. You've seen what happens to plants that get too close to me. All I have to do is take a few steps forward and you wither into compost. And yet here I stand, talking instead of fighting. Is that the act of a man who wants to kill you?"

"We did not mean to invade. We have no interest in your food. Drop your weapons, and let us be friends."

Or, y'know, don't, and we'll kill you and take all your stuff. :)

Oh, and this is where I remind the DM that Ulster has pretty good charisma, in case that makes a difference.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#567 Post by spanningtree »

Dieter - Mage

Dieter trots the doggy thing outside the door, to maybe ease relations... giving it a tentative pat if he can find a non-dangerous spot.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#568 Post by badams30 »

Grimes - Fighter

Grimes stands next to Ulster, trying to be calm and non-threatening. If the plants make a move, he'll become invisible to make his move.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#569 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Algrim still maintaining his non-threatening posture is ready should things turn south spear and shield both at hand and ready should a fight break out.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#570 Post by greyarea »

Dieter cannot bring Fido into the hall, constrained by the anti-plant shield.

The plant leader consider's the druid's words reaction [2d6-1] = 5-1 = 4 and nods. He says something to the other plant-men who put down things. You notice now that they don't appear to be the spears and other weapons you've seen the veggie-men brandishing before: these appear to be metal and of strange shapes, some egg-like and others... not.

The leader talks into his device, As you have no interest in our food nor our territory, I ask that you leave us in peace. Already you have slaughtered many. Let out my man, gesturing to one of the veggie-men, and he will alert the others who laid an ambush. We want no trouble, only to defend our territory and live in peace.

Actions?

Grimes 69/69
--Dandy 39/40 < Cure Light Wounds x6,Bless, Hold Personx2, Find Traps, Augury, Silence 15'r,Glyph of Warding, Remove Curse, Dispel Magic, Speak With the Dead,Protection from Evil 10' radius, Cure serious woundsx3,Raise dead,plane shift >
Castinus 37/39
--Furuk 75/78
--Algrim 60/70

Fido

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#571 Post by spanningtree »

Dieter - Mage

Lucky celery....
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#572 Post by badams30 »

Grimes - Fighter

Grimes says to Ulster "Hey, we seem to be goin' in circles walking around here. Could you ask him to tell us something of use about this place? It'd be nice to know what we're up against."

GreyWolfVT

#573 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Algrim "To be honest we were only fightin back after bein attacked in truth though we're explorin aint really tryin ta kill things to be up front about it."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#574 Post by Zhym »

greyarea wrote:The leader talks into his device, As you have no interest in our food nor our territory, I ask that you leave us in peace. Already you have slaughtered many. Let out my man, gesturing to one of the veggie-men, and he will alert the others who laid an ambush. We want no trouble, only to defend our territory and live in peace.
"Of course," agrees Ulster. "If you could draw us a map of this area marking your territory, it would help us avoid future trespass," he suggests.

Would Plant Growth work on fungi? Ulster might see if he can trade with the veggie creatures, offering to increase their food stores in exchange for some of their tech.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#575 Post by greyarea »

Zhym wrote: Would Plant Growth work on fungi?
Yes

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#576 Post by Zhym »

"If you would trade with us, we can offer you something you might want," continues Ulster. "We would like to know more about these artifacts you hold. The one that allows us to speak is especially interesting to us, since we will meet many others who we can keep from fighting if we know how to speak with them. In exchange, I can greatly increase your food stores, filling the halls with mushrooms. Would you be interested in such a trade?"

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#577 Post by greyarea »

The leader looks at you skeptically. He replies, We eat not mushrooms but instead hold the room with machines that make meat. The greens control one as well. There is a third, much larger, that is in neither of our territories. Give us advantage there and we can trade. More alarm mushrooms we can grow ourselves.

He draws something on the ground, using colored sap to mark places.

This is a representation of whole area. Greens here on this part. Browns here and this room here (he puts a silver star where you currently are) We want food machine here (and he draws a red star where that is.) Get us food machines and we will trade.

Actions?

Grimes 69/69
Castinus 37/39
--Furuk 75/78
--Algrim 60/70

Fido

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#578 Post by Zhym »

Ulster sighs. Meat-eating plants. So much for increasing their food stores. And giving the browns an advantage over the greens would upset the Balance.

Maybe he should have just used one of his potions of plant control after all.

OOC: Is everyone else okay just leaving these plant-critters alone and moving on?

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#579 Post by tumblingdice »

Castinus, lost in his thoughts as his comrades have been parleying, finally speaks. "What can you tell us of these food machines?" he asks.
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.
"Oh, well, that could be helpful!"
--my five-year old daughter

GreyWolfVT

#580 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'd be happy to get the plant things the food machine they seek.

Algrim "How about we see if we can't get em that food machine they want?"

Return to “Skull Mountain (LL/AEC)”