Chapter 24 - The Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, part 1

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Chapter 24 - The Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, part 1

#1 Post by greyarea »

Your party set forth from Bissel a week ago, and for the past two days have been climbing higher into the crags of the Barrier Peaks. Last night was spent in the keep of the only baron remaining in the area—and he was fulsome glad for your company. This morning, as the eastern horizon turned from pearl gray to rosy pink, a score of the baron's retainers guided the expedition toward the unknown area.

It is now afternoon, and you have set up camp in a hidden dell but a few bowshots from the strange entrance. The men-at-arms have been detailed to guard the supplies and mounts of the camp while you go onward immediately. They will await your return for four full days before returning to their keep.
Gathering your personal gear, you climbed the steep slope of the dell's north side, passed the rim, and forced your way through a thick growth of trees and undergrowth. There, across a field and beyond a rocky rise, can be seen the cave, with its strange metal door.

Actions?

Hit points and marching order
Grimes 69/69
--Dandy 40/40 <Bless, Hold Person x2, Find Traps, Augury, Silence 15'r, Glyph of Warding, Remove Curse, Dispel Magic, Speak With the Dead, Protection from Evil 10' radius, Cure serious wounds x2, Raise dead >
Castinus 39/39
--Furuk 78/78
Dieter 42/42 < Magic Missile x 2, Otiluke's Smoky Sphere, Sleep, Auditory Illusion, Continual Light, Flaming Sphere, Stinking Cloud , Fireball, Monster Summoning I, Slow, Charm Monster, Evard's Black Tentacles, Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer, Monster Summoning III , Otiluke's Radiant Sphere, Teleport >

Ulster 62/62 < Animal Companion, Entangle x2, Faerie Fire, Pass Without Trace, Speak with Animals x2, Barkskin, Charm Person or Mammal, Cure Light Wounds, Heat Metal, Obscuring Mist, Stumble, Warp Wood, Call Lightning, Hold Animal, Insect Swarm, Plant Growth, Stone Shape, Protection from Electricity, Repel Vermin, Speak with Plants, Summon Animal I, Animal Growth, Summon Animal II, Wall of Fire, Conjure Fire Elemental, Control Weather, Transmute Metal to Wood >
Algrim 70/70

Can I get an updated marching order?

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Chapter 24 - The Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, part 1

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Algrim "Huh metal door on a cave entrance maybe dwarves dwelt here?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Zhym »

Could I revise Ulster's spell list? Somewhere between getting to town and arriving at the metal fortress, we got a night's sleep, right?

Also, what's the weather?

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by badams30 »

Grimes - Halfling Champion of Poseidon

Grimes will curiously observe the area around this odd door and projection, looking for any signs of movement or activity. "I can go invisible and scout the area out a bit, if you want."

OOC: Grimes will happily scout the area invisibly if needed, looking for any sign of recent activity, or anyone in hiding.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by greyarea »

Zhym wrote:Could I revise Ulster's spell list? Somewhere between getting to town and arriving at the metal fortress, we got a night's sleep, right?

Also, what's the weather?
Yes, go ahead and change your spell loadout.

It's overcast and grey, with sprinkles. As the master said:
Dr. Seuss wrote:The sun did not shine, it was too wet to play, so we sat in the house all that cold, cold wet day. I sat there with Sally. We sat here we two and we said How we wish we had something to do.
Good day to explore the innards of a very strange metal structure. :)

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by spanningtree »

Dieter - Mage

Dieter will take the time to intimately familiarize himself with the campsite the retainers are at should teleport be needed in the future. He will assume an position in the marching order.

Looks like a bloody metal castle... the resources needed to build such a construct are unimaginable...

OCC: Dieter's spell load out modified.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Zhym »

Okay. First thing, we turn all that rock to mud, exposing the structure. Then we call a few lightning bolts to hit it. That should nicely fry anything inside, leaving us free to explore in relative safety. Then transmute the metal door to wood and warp the wood. Walk in, collect loot, go home. Everyone ready? :D :D

Remember: never piss off a druid. ;)

I'll update my spell list later today or late tonight. Busy busy day...

GreyWolfVT

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Algrim "Eh dwarves coulda built it still we dabble in the precious metals and gemstones, as well as all forms of rocks."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by merias »

"Eh, too plain-lookin' fer Dwarfs. Let's see what's happenin' here," Dandy says. He'll move forward with the others, once they do so.

spells:

Cure Light Wounds x7,Bless, Hold Personx2, Find Traps, Augury, Silence 15'r,Glyph of Warding, Remove Curse, Dispel Magic, Speak With the Dead,Protection from Evil 10' radius, Cure serious woundsx3,Raise dead,plane shift

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by spanningtree »

Dieter - Mage

There is a door there, let's take a look.
Muttering as he approaches.

GreyWolfVT

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Algrim "Plain eh I've been in dwarf keeps just as plain as this looks to be. Then again i guess men do have that lack of artistic touch with their craftings. Guess it was the work of man."

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by tumblingdice »

Castinus, newly attired thief

Dwarf, man, who knows who built such a place? This reminds me of that strange realm--that space between spaces--we journeyed to after White Plume Mountain, and before Acererak's tomb. Remember, that place with that creature who ate people's brains. I think. Hard to remember. That was before I died.

The rogue will volunteer to scout out the entrance for any traps. Not so fast, Grimes. Why should you have all the fun?

OC: As for marching order, Castinus will stay toward the middle when not actively scouting.
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.
"Oh, well, that could be helpful!"
--my five-year old daughter

Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by Craigers07 »

Furuk - Fighter

"I don't know either Castinus, but it looks a little too inviting. I'll wait for you check it out."

Furuk stays back with the rest of the group.

OOC: I'm ok with the marching order above.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by greyarea »

Castinus investigates the door. It is made of some sort of hard metal and has no opening for a key that he can sense. The construction is so tight that the blade of his dagger barely fits tween door and jamb. Thief skill [1d100] = 59 He finds nary a trap but also no means of egress -- the door doesn't seem to open at all. Perhaps there is a magic passphrase or some other way to open the thing.

He reports back. As you scan the area, a large drop of rain hits one of you in the nose. A glance up shows the upper door, which you swear was closed just moments before, appears to be open. Getting there might be a problem...

Actions?

Hit points and marching order
Grimes 69/69
--Dandy 40/40 < Cure Light Wounds x7,Bless, Hold Personx2, Find Traps, Augury, Silence 15'r,Glyph of Warding, Remove Curse, Dispel Magic, Speak With the Dead,Protection from Evil 10' radius, Cure serious woundsx3,Raise dead,plane shift >
Castinus 39/39
--Furuk 78/78
Dieter 42/42 < Magic Missile x 2, Otiluke's Smoky Sphere, Sleep, Auditory Illusion, Continual Light, Flaming Sphere, Stinking Cloud , Fireball, Monster Summoning I, Slow, Charm Monster, Evard's Black Tentacles, Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer, Monster Summoning III , Otiluke's Radiant Sphere, Teleport >

Ulster 62/62 < Animal Companion, Entangle x2, Faerie Fire, Pass Without Trace, Speak with Animals x2, Barkskin, Charm Person or Mammal, Cure Light Wounds, Heat Metal, Obscuring Mist, Stumble, Warp Wood, Call Lightning, Hold Animal, Insect Swarm, Plant Growth, Stone Shape, Protection from Electricity, Repel Vermin, Speak with Plants, Summon Animal I, Animal Growth, Summon Animal II, Wall of Fire, Conjure Fire Elemental, Control Weather, Transmute Metal to Wood >
Algrim 70/70

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Zhym »

Can Ulster tell how heavy the lower door might be?

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by badams30 »

Grimes gives Castinus a thumbs up. "Someone gimme a rope, I'll use my Handy spider robe and climb up there.ooc: Grimes can climb and try to find a way to affix the rope, or at least hold it till a couple others can climb and help others.

GreyWolfVT

#17 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Algrim "Hold on a minute. I got rope an a grappling hook you can use that ta get up there." the dwarf takes his pack off sets it down opens it and takes out the rope and grappling hook securing one end of the rope to the grappling hook. "There that aughta work for ya Grimes." holding the rope with grappling hook out for Grimes to use.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by greyarea »

Zhym wrote:Can Ulster tell how heavy the lower door might be?
Nope. It's solid as solid gets and of a metal that Ulster does not recognize.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by spanningtree »

Dieter - Mage

Looking at Castinus and Grimes. Perhaps you two use alternate means in case we have a problem.... everyone else gather closer to me. Dieter will take up a place behind Dandy, putting his hand on his shoulder for stability. Furuk, Ulster, Algrim, prepare for the worst. Engaging his staff, using telekinesis , he will lift the party to the open door above.

OCC: 2 charges deducted.

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by tumblingdice »

Castinus, still keeping an eye out for danger, smiles at the apparent ease with which Dierer's telekinesis spell does the heavy lifting.
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.
"Oh, well, that could be helpful!"
--my five-year old daughter

Return to “Skull Mountain (LL/AEC)”