Chapter 23 - Bissel Again

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Chapter 23 - Bissel Again

#121 Post by badams30 »

Grimes - Fighter

Grimes gives Dieter a nod and heads outside to stand with our new companions before heading out to the temple. "Hello, fellas. Anxious to get going? Me too. I'm looking forward to seeing what this metal thing is all about." Grimes will stand by for a few minutes before taking his leave. "If you'll excuse me, I'm off for a bit to pray and collect my thoughts. See you in a while."

Grimes will head back to Zissou, seeking some time to pray and meditate a bit, his recent bout with death making him a bit more conscious of his mortality and desire to get right with Poseidon. He'll give Zissou one of his 1000GP gems (deducted) as a donation to the temple.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#122 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Zhym wrote:"'Yes,' mostly," says the druid, smiling indulgently as the bird flies away. "I was asking it to send a message."

"How long do you think it will take them to shop?" he wonders.
Algrim shrugs "Dunno hope it aint too long, this adventure sounds like a hell of a quest to take on. And I'm eager ta set off on an adventure."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#123 Post by greyarea »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Algrim shrugs "Dunno hope it aint too long, this adventure sounds like a hell of a quest to take on. And I'm eager ta set off on an adventure."
As am I!

The woman pulls from the back a few sets of leather armor: One is all crimson leather and very powerful magic (+4) (reduces CHA by 2 when worn), Worn by a thief in Nightwing's Green Brigade in the dank forest went by the name The Scarlet Pimperwil, the woman explains, another looking more ordinary as these things go (+2), with a provenance that is suitable for a uniform of this sort, she advises, and the third is, well, different: the leather gear is a purplish hue, Worn by one called the Ghost who Walks, and it allows one to become a ghost at will, she explains, and you get the sense that this is leather armor of etherealness, +3 (5 charges). I think it would look good on you, sweetie, she says to Castinus, ignoring her husband's grumpiness.

A magic floor lamp we do indeed have. I'll give it to you for 2500 and a kiss from that one over there, pointing to the rogue. No rings though. The Mandarian cleans us out a few months ago, prepping for some stark foe, he says. Got a nice Amulet of the Spirit though: protect you from spells like magic jar and whatnot. Better than a pretty old ring.

As to cleric items of worth, I had a scroll with a spell of Gate on it, but was used to try to control a demon problem we had a few years ago. However, we have this scroll that has a few very rare spells that Sister Ray gathered in her journeys. Let's see if.. yes, here it is. She finds a scroll case of what appears to be human bone and, etched on the side are the spell names contained within: Weapon Bless, Detect Cursed Item, Impervious Sanctity of Mind, and Missing Word. I'll give it to ya for 5000 gold.

She awaits a response while her husband digs in to a bowl of oatmeal.

Actions?

Hit points and marching order
Grimes 63/69
--Dandy 37/40 <Bless, Hold Person x2, Find Traps, Augury, Silence 15'r, Glyph of Warding, Remove Curse, Dispel Magic, Speak With the Dead, Protection from Evil 10' radius, Cure serious wounds x2, Raise dead >
Castinus 38/39
--Furuk 74/78
Dieter 40/42 < Magic Missile x 2, Otiluke's Smoky Sphere, Sleep, Auditory Illusion, Continual Light, Flaming Sphere, Stinking Cloud , Fireball, Monster Summoning I, Slow, Charm Monster, Evard's Black Tentacles, Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer, Monster Summoning III , Otiluke's Radiant Sphere, Teleport >
--Acquaire

merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#124 Post by merias »

greyarea wrote: As to cleric items of worth, I had a scroll with a spell of Gate on it, but was used to try to control a demon problem we had a few years ago. However, we have this scroll that has a few very rare spells that Sister Ray gathered in her journeys. Let's see if.. yes, here it is. She finds a scroll case of what appears to be human bone and, etched on the side are the spell names contained within: Weapon Bless, Detect Cursed Item, Impervious Sanctity of Mind, and Missing Word. I'll give it to ya for 5000 gold.
"I'll take it," Dandy says.

ooc: We have more gold than we know what to do with. Are those some new spells?

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#125 Post by spanningtree »

Dieter - Mage

Yes, ma'am, I'll take the lamp. How about 2600gp for it with no kiss? That gentleman lost his true love in a dreadful engagement, best to leave him be. He will say with a mixed grin.

Assuming Dieter gets away with the lamp, paid from the loot section, he will make his way to the mages guild.

Great mages of Bissel! I have returned with the ice age at an end! I would like to inquire about adding charges to both this staff of the magi and this wand of fire. In addition, how quickly could a halfing size suit of magic plate mail be commissioned? If, er, costs were not much of an issue?
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#126 Post by tumblingdice »

Castinus grins. "How much for the armor of etherealness," he asks. Whatever it is, he'll take it.
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.
"Oh, well, that could be helpful!"
--my five-year old daughter

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#127 Post by greyarea »

merias wrote:
greyarea wrote: As to cleric items of worth, I had a scroll with a spell of Gate on it, but was used to try to control a demon problem we had a few years ago. However, we have this scroll that has a few very rare spells that Sister Ray gathered in her journeys. Let's see if.. yes, here it is. She finds a scroll case of what appears to be human bone and, etched on the side are the spell names contained within: Weapon Bless, Detect Cursed Item, Impervious Sanctity of Mind, and Missing Word. I'll give it to ya for 5000 gold.
"I'll take it," Dandy says.

ooc: Are those some new spells?

Weapon Bless
(ConjnrationlSnmmoning) Sphere: Combat
Level. 1
Range: Touch Components: V, S, M Casting Time: 1turn Duration: Special
Area of Effect: 1 weapon Saving Throw: None

With the weapon bless spell, the shukenja (cleric) is able to prepare one weapon for combat against a particular foe. Upon casting the spell, he carefully writes on the weapon the identity of the foe and several sutras to give the weapon power. Although the exact name of the creature need not he known, the identity must be specific, identifying only a single individual or creature. Stating the weapon is to he used against “a kappa” is not sufficient. However, stating the weapon is to be used against “the kappa who lives in Ch’i Sheng’s millpons‘ is a precise enough identification. Thereafter, that weapon is +5 on the first attack and damage roll against that particular foe. The weapon is considered a magical one for the purposes of striking creatures that can be hit only by magical weapons. The effects of the weapon bless are not additive with those of already magical weapons, i.e. if cast upon a +2 weapon, the effect is still +5, not +7. Furthermore, if the weapon is used to strike another creature while the spell is in effect, the blade is wiped clean and the spell is lost.

Detect Cursed Item
(Divination) Sphere: Divination
Level: 3
Range: Touch Components:V, S Casting‘lime: 1rd. Duration: Instantaneous Area of Effect: 1 item or pen Saving Throw: Neg.

A priest using this spell may be able to tell if an item is cursed. The priest must touch item (in some cases this might trigger the curse). Cursed scrolls must be opened, but not read, for the spell to have an effect. Artifacts give no reading to this spell in any case. This spell does not detect charm effects; though it can detect a curse on a creature. An unwilling subject receives a saving throw vs. spell to negate the effect.

The basic saving throw of an item is 13, though a very powerful cursed item might have a saving throw as low as 5 (the DM decides saving throws on an item-by-item basis). Failure to detect a curse means the caster has no chance to cast this spell successfully upon the item or creature before gaining another experience level.

Casting this spell affects the priest so strongly that no other spells can be cast for four hours, though currently memorized spells are not lost.

Impervious Sanctity of Mind
(Abjuration)
Sphere: Protection, Thought
Level: 7
Range: 0
Components: V, S. M
Casting Tune: l rd.
Duration: I turn/level
Area of Effect: The caster
Saving Throw: None

When using this spell, the priest becomes com­pletely immune to any mind-affecting spell, power, or psionic effect. This includes amnesia, awe, beguiling, charm, command, confusion, domina­tion, emotion, empathy, ESP, fascination, fear, fee­blemind, hold, hypnotism, insanity, magic jar, mind blast, phantasmal killer, possession, rulership, sleep, soul trapping, suggestion, telepathy, and any psionic attack or power of the telepathic discipline. ln short, if the spell or effect coerces the priest into taking an action or forming an impression that he or she doesn't wish to, it fails while impervious sanctity of mind is in effect. The only mind-affect­ing spells or powers that can affect the protected priest are those of exceedingly powerful creatures, artifacts, and relics.

Unlike the wizard spell mind blank, lhe imper­vious sanctity of mind offers no protection against detection or scrying. However, it is effective against some attacks and powers that mind blank is powerless againsL

Missing Word
(Divination)
Sphere: Divination
Level: 7
Range: 0
Componenis: V, S
Casting Tune: I rd.
Duration: l tum
Area of Effect: I incomplete writing or diagram Saving Throw: None

This spell is an entreaty to Oghma himself to complete a missing, partial, or obscured word, inscription, or diagram in a writing found by the priest.

When a missing word spell is cast, the priest immediately suffers 2d6 points of damage (as if wounded: rest and healing magics can restore this lost vital energy) and is surrounded by an aura of purplish-while light and a tension in the air. The spell then either succeeds (the missing writing silently appears) or fails (the aura fades, and the tic vision of guidance; no writing appears) as the god wills. (No saving throw governs this effect; the DM should decide Oghma's will in particular situations.)

When the spell ends, the magically revealed portion fades, leaving the writing incomplete again unless someone has traeed over the previously missing portions. At his discretion, Oghma can extend the duration of the revelation to allow the missing text to be copied if it wouJd otherwise take longer than a turn. Using this spell to solve long­standing problems of knowledge, particularly to benefit others not of the Oghmanyte faith, usually succeeds. Using this spell to devise new spells or processes of making goods to enrich the caster generally fails.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#128 Post by greyarea »

The woman takes Dieter's counter offer of 2600 and throws in a Combat cartridge with it. ;)

She tells the rogue, I'll sell it to you for 11,000 given it's extended use.

-----=====+++++!+++++=====-----

The Mages' Guild is trough a small red box, perhaps 6' tall and 3' square. There is a sign outside of the door warning to "Leave Bags of Holding, Portable Holes, and like materials in the lockers to your right" with an arrow pointing to lockers (with locks) to the right. Once you've done so, you enter the box and then understand why you left your dimensional equipment behind, as The Mages' Guild is in what appears to be a huge portable hole!

Dieter recognizes a few of those present from his earlier meeting, although most are hard at study. There's a mousy fellow sweeping who fetches the head of the Guild and some tea as Dieter arrives. After hearing the questions and looking at your staff and wand he replies:

Since you saved the world, as it were, we can give you five charges to your Staff and ten to your wand. If you'd like to purchase more charges, we can do five more for the staff at 10,000 gp per charge -- It can't hold more than that. The wand maxes out at 10, given its age.

We can enchant armor for the little fella easily enough. Finding plate armor his size would be the problem. Halflings I know don't wear the stuff. You might find some lady dwarf plate his size but I doubt he'd go for that, pride being what it is. He's better off with us enchanting what he's wearing or maybe some banded armor, which I think the armorer can provide. We can do it at 5,000GP per level of enchantment and the highest we can, 10,000 per level after five. The highest we can go is seven, if you follow.

Actions?

Hit points and marching order
Grimes 63/69
--Dandy 37/40 <Bless, Hold Person x2, Find Traps, Augury, Silence 15'r, Glyph of Warding, Remove Curse, Dispel Magic, Speak With the Dead, Protection from Evil 10' radius, Cure serious wounds x2, Raise dead >
Castinus 38/39
--Furuk 74/78
Dieter 40/42 < Magic Missile x 2, Otiluke's Smoky Sphere, Sleep, Auditory Illusion, Continual Light, Flaming Sphere, Stinking Cloud , Fireball, Monster Summoning I, Slow, Charm Monster, Evard's Black Tentacles, Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer, Monster Summoning III , Otiluke's Radiant Sphere, Teleport >
--Acquaire

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#129 Post by spanningtree »

Dieter - Mage

OCC: Dieter will nab the lamp. What is a "combat cartridge"? :)
OCC: Dieter is unsure how many charges the staff currently has, updating charges to ? + 5. Wand of fire updated to 10.

Dieter gratefully accepts the free charges offered for the wand and staff. My thanks for recognizing our accomplishments. Indeed, it was a difficult time for us. Scratching his chin on the offers made. Can we arrange bulk offer? Could we arrange a deal to enchant my friends existing chain mail to level 5 and endow the staff with 5 additional charges for 50000, this spellbook and these magic bracers (AC7)? Dieter fishes out a spellbook that contains:

First level: burning hands, detect magic, feather fall, jump, comprehend languages, light, read magic
Second level: levitate, mirror image, scare, darkness 15' radius, detect invisibility, strength
Third level: dispel magic, fireball, tongues, gust of wind, infravision
Fourth level: fumble, wall of fire, dimension door, plant growth

Dieter will wait for their answer, if they accept the deal he will ask Grimes for his armor.

OCC: If Ulster want some enchanted armor he should jump in and ask.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Zhym »

Ulster's good. We adjusted his equipment list so he uses bracers of armor instead of leather armor and a shield.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#131 Post by greyarea »

The Mage Guild mage replies: That sounds like a fair offer.
spanningtree wrote: OCC: Dieter will nab the lamp. What is a "combat cartridge"? :)
OOC: You wrote "2600" and my mind immediately went to the Atari 2600 and the Combat cartridge that came with it. Hmmmm....

The old woman gave you a rough square of a substance unknown to you with strange runes on it:
Image.

She shows you where in the lamp to insert it and tells you: This allows the lamp to act like Faerie Fire once per day. There are a few days worth of uses on it, so don't overdo it. On the house for bringing in the cute one.

And because she can't sell it by itself, chimes in the man. She scowls at him and then smiles sweetly at you.

spanningtree wrote:OCC: Dieter is unsure how many charges the staff currently has, updating charges to ? + 5. Wand of fire updated to 10.
OOC: I have the Mages Staff with 7 charges, so you'd have 12 total after the additional 5. I'd appreciate it if you'd add that to your sheet, if you don't mind.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#132 Post by badams30 »

Grimes - Fighter

Grimes will happily lend his armor to them for any enchantment they can provide (or they can go for banded, whatever is better...)

Grimes will happily contribute his 1K to the temple and do some praying while we're waiting to depart. He'll keep it low-key going forward....

GreyWolfVT

#133 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Algrim is good to go as far as he is concerned.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#134 Post by spanningtree »

Dieter - Mage

Dieter will accept the cartridge with the lamp with an arched eyebrow: Hmm... how odd... thank you. He will mutter to the proprietor.

OCC: Awesome! I remember that game, spent a lot of time playing it. My parents gave my brother and I Defender for the 2600 one x-mas. I don't think we moved from the front of the TV ever again after that. :)

Dieter will accept the guilds offer/trade. If they can locate halfling banded in a hurry he will hand that over before the enchanting starts. Either way, Dieter will hand over his staff and Grime's armor to the guild for enchanting. Done with what he had in mind, Dieter will head to the nearest inn with his comrades to consume mass quantities and sleep if they get around to it.

OCC: Staff updated to 17 total charges. Dieter nabs the ring of warmth and robe of useful things (w/ three patches left) from the loot inventory. Dieter is done shopping.

OCC @ ALL: Rather than try to tabulate the spend and track the remaining items why don't we assume the loot haul is spent before leaving town. Folks should grab whatever magic items they want. The slippers, crossbow, bolts, ring of warmth, bracers, elvish plate and robe are spoken for but there are some very nice items left. Grab them if you want them!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Zhym »

I assume we're planning to hold on to the potions and scrolls? Will we distribute them or have one person hold on to them?

merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#136 Post by merias »

Just realized Dandy does not have magic armor...maybe he can enchant his to +3?

"Er, will ye enchant me armor? Plenty o' coin to be had." Dandy says.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#137 Post by greyarea »

merias wrote:Just realized Dandy does not have magic armor...maybe he can enchant his to +3?

"Er, will ye enchant me armor? Plenty o' coin to be had." Dandy says.
Sure, why not :)

Note to self: Make bad guys extra bad

GreyWolfVT

#138 Post by GreyWolfVT »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Algrim will take the ring of fire resistance and i guess the other potion of extra healing
I'll update my sheet

Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#139 Post by Craigers07 »

Furuk - Fighter

Furuk gives the old lady payment for the armor and trades in his old set.

OOC: I can't think of anything else I need to do in town.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#140 Post by greyarea »

The party wraps up their in-town stuff, including a bit of fun at various pubs, some charity giving, and getting congratulated for saving the world and all that rot.

The sun has just risen when you set off on your new quest. Since you don't know where to find this strange ship that Blackrazor sent you to find, you follow the druid instead who is going to investigate something strange in the Barrier Peaks region. You mount up (you all have mounts, obviously) and head out, thankful for the warmth of the sun.

You can't help but smile as today begins the Expedition to the Barrier Peaks

Return to “Skull Mountain (LL/AEC)”