OOC chat

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC chat

#61 Post by Zhym »

badams30 wrote:Grimes - Fighter

Keeping Wave at hand, Grimes fishes in his pocket for the black and yellow cards he just found and says quietly to the others "You figure he saw me take these?" Without waiting for a reply, Grimes holds the cards up and says "Hey big fella, you lookin' for these?"

OOC: That's all I've got. I was going to have Grimes sing some Frank Zappa or something, but that might be over the top.
Did the robot show any reaction to the cards Grims flashed at it?

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#62 Post by GreyWolfVT »

it was too busy being shorted out and following the invisible one. ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by greyarea »

Zhym wrote:
badams30 wrote:Grimes - Fighter

Keeping Wave at hand, Grimes fishes in his pocket for the black and yellow cards he just found and says quietly to the others "You figure he saw me take these?" Without waiting for a reply, Grimes holds the cards up and says "Hey big fella, you lookin' for these?"

OOC: That's all I've got. I was going to have Grimes sing some Frank Zappa or something, but that might be over the top.
Did the robot show any reaction to the cards Grims flashed at it?
Nope. Why would it respond to black or yellow cards? They are only programmed to respond to <fnord>

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#64 Post by tumblingdice »

Hey guys, the old Goblinoid Games forum is back up. It's under Community.
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.
"Oh, well, that could be helpful!"
--my five-year old daughter

GreyWolfVT

#65 Post by GreyWolfVT »

aww going to move back there? :(
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#66 Post by merias »

No PbP forums there anymore - just discussion. The old PbP section is locked.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#67 Post by greyarea »

STOP MAKING YOUR SAVING THROWS!!!!

You're ruining my fun :)

GreyWolfVT

#68 Post by GreyWolfVT »

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#69 Post by tumblingdice »

That's the problem with high level characters. They make their saving throws too often. They hit stuff a lot more often, too.
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.
"Oh, well, that could be helpful!"
--my five-year old daughter

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Zhym »

Do the robots not have to make to-hit rolls?

I'm asking because with Ulster's shimmering cloak, he should be at AC -2 in round 3. Hopefully the cloak would make him harder to hit with a paralyzation beam, too. :)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Zhym »

Or, hey! Maybe the AC bonus for the cloak would also apply to saving throws, giving him a total of +7 on the roll now. ;)

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#72 Post by greyarea »

I've ruled that they make to-hit rolls for their laser beams, tentacles, and arms. The lasers have potential effects above and beyond damage so I've decided that those need to-hits and saving throws (reading and rereading, it could just require saving throws depending on how you interpret). Because the grenades, paralysis rays, and tractor/pressor beams work more like spells or wands (conical or explosive areas of effect, for instance), I'm treating them more like them: no to-hit but saving throws to avoid ill effects. Does that make sense?
Zhym wrote:Or, hey! Maybe the AC bonus for the cloak would also apply to saving throws, giving him a total of +7 on the roll now. ;)
Heh. I don't recall you activating the scintillation effect or else I might have give that to you :D

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Zhym »

Well, then:

Subject: Chapter 24 - The Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, part 1
Zhym wrote:"Oh, hi," says Ulster. "Are you the local guards?"

He steps back so as not to bother his companions. "Coruscent," he says, commanding his colorful robe to begin shifting its colors.
:D

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#74 Post by greyarea »

Well then. Add it.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Zhym »

greyarea wrote:
Zhym wrote:Okay, so what's the target? How are you translating tentacle strength to a PC strength check?
Hmm, was thinking that PC needed to roll 19+ to break free. They are strong, metal tentacles.
You're mixing mechanics here, though. You've got whoever is trying to break out rolling 3d6 with a strength modifier but having to beat the strength score. Consider what a PC with 18/00 would have to do to break out of an 18/00 grip: he'd get a +3 to a 3d6 roll, which gives him a little under a 5% chance of breaking free (or about 10% if you use the +4 damage only modifier for 19 strength).

I don't think it works to use 3d6+modifier vs. absolute score.

My suggestion instead: The player and the tentacle both roll 3d6+modifier. High roll wins. Tie goes to the tentacle.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#76 Post by greyarea »

Fine suggestion. tentacle [3d6+4] = 12+4 = 16

Ulster remains entangled. We will reroll for both next round, assuming there is one. :)

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#77 Post by greyarea »

Zhym wrote: You're mixing mechanics here, though. You've got whoever is trying to break out rolling 3d6 with a strength modifier but having to beat the strength score. Consider what a PC with 18/00 would have to do to break out of an 18/00 grip: he'd get a +3 to a 3d6 roll, which gives him a little under a 5% chance of breaking free (or about 10% if you use the +4 damage only modifier for 19 strength).

I don't think it works to use 3d6+modifier vs. absolute score.
Thinking further, I think this does work as grappling can be very difficult to break, especially against stronger opponents. Grappling isn't just about strength, it's about leverage as well, so if someone even with the same bench/squat as you has you in a hold, it's very difficult to break free. A 10% chance against the strongest opponents per 10 seconds is fairly realistic, or so my days wrestling and as a judoka would suggest. It's part of the reason that MMA fighters work so much on grappling technique.

Why strength? Why not? What's better? DEX? Certainly not. CON? If constitution, one is conceding that it is a war of attrition and that a roll every 10 seconds (round) with a small chance of escape makes sense. Anyway, the module gives a STR for the tentacles to check against. :)

That said, BX never really had a good grappling mechanic. (One could say that about D&D in general.) Opposing STR checks, which is what D&D5 uses, doesn't seem any better or worse than an absolute value based on STR. And one could argue worse -- I'm in a game where a Dragonborn has lost multiple opposed STR checks against a halfling (rolling at disadvantage). :)

Now if you'd argued that it takes more than an attack roll to grapple, I might agree there but again, no good mechanic in BX. :)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Zhym »

Part of why I think that doesn't work is that it compares an absolute strength number to a 3d6 roll with modifier. Is it also supposed to be nearly impossible to break out of the grip of something with 17 strength?

LL doesn't really have a mechanic for this, and the AD&D grapple mechanic is pretty baroque. I'd embrace the simplicity of BX and make it an open doors roll. If I wanted to bring in AD&D mechanics, I'd have the PC roll to bend bars or lift gates, if that's the kind of "feat of strength" you're after.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Zhym »

This is going to be an insanely busy week for me. I may not have time to post. Please NPC Ulster as needed.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Zhym »

How much do you suppose one of those metal doors would weigh? ;)

Return to “Skull Mountain (LL/AEC)”