#121 Post by Zhym »

Paging Calmert...

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OOC Chat

#122 Post by connivingsumo »

Zhym wrote:Paging Calmert...
Calmert is currently sitting (sort of) at a table meeting the "FNG." Once we rest for the evening, Calmert will cast Detect Magic on the "Pile O'Loot"! :mrgreen:

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Zhym »

Well, then, let's do that. :)

It usually takes a while to split loot, so the sooner we know what we have, the sooner we can get that started.

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#124 Post by connivingsumo »

Zhym wrote:Well, then, let's do that. :)
It usually takes a while to split loot, so the sooner we know what we have, the sooner we can get that started.
otay :mrgreen:

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Zhym »

Here's the updated list of loot:

Coin: 232 pp, 631 gp, 67 ep, 357 sp, 431 cp

Gems and Jewelry
13 agates (10 gp each) (Thurwin)
6 zircons worth 50GP ea,
4 zircons worth 50GP EA
gold earring with a tiny ruby worth 1000GP, (Feldrin)
silver bracelet set with jade worth 1700 GP,
gold necklace w/ 4 sm rubies; 4,750 GP
jeweled belt, (silver with four nice emeralds, jewelry value 5,250 gp)
gold fire symbol on fine gold chain w/ ruby worth 2500GP
Gold chain with fire amulet worth 100GP
ring with large violet garnet worth 700GP
jeweled ring worth 500GP

Misc. Valuables
silver lamp worth 120 GP,
Fine quality rug worth 260 GP
Cup, ewer and box of wrought gold worth 200, 275 and 150 GP,
silver horned skull holy symbol 30GPV,
sm silver box worth 75GP
mace with small ruby in pommel worth 1000GP

Magic Items
Magic Ruby Ring (with dancing flame inside) found on troll hand (NOT CLAIMED, THURWIN WEARING) (fire resistance?)
ring inscribed with runes (+2 Protection - Tavin)
Magic ring (from room 205) (+1 protection)
black leather armor +1 (Effric using armor)
chain mail +2
shield +1
hammer +2

Necklace of Adaptation
bag of holding (Tavin carrying bag)
Scroll of Protection from Elementals (all) (Thurwin carrying)
bone scroll case with Ward against Elementals
Scroll tube with 3 clerical spells on scroll (Dispel magic, flame strike, tongues)
Potion of Extra Healing
Two potions (healing, invisibility) (Thurwin carrying)
one bone scrollcase (illusionist spell, misdirection) (Thurwin carrying)
Potion: Dark red liquid - POISON!

Not magic, just fancy
black red horned skull shield with six poisoned darts
black leather armor with horned skulls

Other Stuff
Military Fork
4 sets chainmail,
2 sets scale mail,
2 sets leather armor,
6 longswords,
2 halberds,
4 short swords,
4 lt crossbows w. 76 bolts.
short black cape,
Black cloak,
morning star;
plate armor and shield (from Half Orc Cleric)
suit of normal chain,
norm mace,
chest?

----------------

Greyarea, could we get value estimates on these, since we have estimates for the other gems and jewelry?
gold necklace w/ 4 sm rubies;
jeweled belt,
necklace (from belt pouch)

And what's the deal with the shield with the darts? I assume it and the black leather armor are normal?
Last edited by Zhym on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#126 Post by greyarea »

Zhym wrote:
Greyarea, could we get value estimates on these, since we have estimates for the other gems and jewelry?
gold necklace w/ 4 sm rubies; 4,750GP
jeweled belt, (silver with four nice emeralds, jewelry value 5,250 gp)
necklace (from belt pouch)

And what's the deal with the shield with the darts? I assume it and the black leather armor are normal?
That necklace is a Necklace of Adaptation (I missed that above, thank you for bringing it to my attention)

from the module description: His black shield, adorned with the device of the red horned skull, is specially designed to hold six darts, each of which is treated with deadly poison (though the victim gains a + 2 bonus to the saving throw). Both the armor and shield are non-magical.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Zhym »

Thanks. I've updated my previous post accordingly.

So, assuming we brought everything back and that we can get 50% of book value for ordinary items, that's a total of 22,801.66 gp worth of loot, or about 3,800 gp each, not including magic items or the shield with poison darts.

Now all we need to do is figure out how to split it. And all that magic.

Odo can't wear any of the magic armors (too small) or the shield (class restriction), so he'd like one of the rings of protection as his first choice. Or the Necklace of Adaptation, because it's cool.

Too bad we aren't using loot-value-as-XP rules. :)

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#128 Post by connivingsumo »

Zhym wrote:Too bad we aren't using loot-value-as-XP rules. :)
Odo was a "Johnny-Come-Lately" and he still beat Calmert in XP.

Also, Calmert took the Cleric Scroll (the one with Fire Strike on it) because I think he's the only Cleric in the bunch.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Zhym »

connivingsumo wrote:
Zhym wrote:Odo was a "Johnny-Come-Lately" and he still beat Calmert in XP.
Odo's a newbie, but he was with the group for the entire delve, right? IOW, he wasn't a newbie for the most recent trip into the dungeon.

Besides, my point is that if we used the gold-for-XP rules, we'd all be getting more XP. No need for us to compete. :)

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#130 Post by connivingsumo »

Zhym wrote:
connivingsumo wrote:
Zhym wrote:Odo was a "Johnny-Come-Lately" and he still beat Calmert in XP.
Odo's a newbie, but he was with the group for the entire delve, right? IOW, he wasn't a newbie for the most recent trip into the dungeon.

Besides, my point is that if we used the gold-for-XP rules, we'd all be getting more XP. No need for us to compete. :)
My point was Odo's doing fine. Calmert's not really competitive anyway. :lol: :ugeek:

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Zhym »

I'm curious about the DCC leveling system. It's 0-4 XP per encounter whether you defeat a couple of kobolds or an ogre chieftain? That seems weird, if so. And how does that work as PCs level and each level requires more XP?

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#132 Post by greyarea »

Zhym wrote:I'm curious about the DCC leveling system. It's 0-4 XP per encounter whether you defeat a couple of kobolds or an ogre chieftain? That seems weird, if so. And how does that work as PCs level and each level requires more XP?
It's based a bit on the challenge. Defeating a couple of kobolds at level 0 might give 4XP. The same kobolds at level 2 might result in 1XP and after that none. So the XP is given out based on the challenge of the encounter, not a set schedule based on the level of the monster. You might have noticed that I gave XP for other things as well: Thurwin acting as bait, the party fleeing the bugbear nest, Odo figuring out where the key was. I also gave virtually none for the big, bad troll since it was a simple encounter (paralyze and burn). I try to do XP as evenly as possible, and it's good to reward bravery and cleverness.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Zhym »

So that makes it sound like the XP award from the same type of enemy may decrease over time, but the XP from encounters wouldn't increase.

For example, between 10 and 40 encounters should get a 1st level PC to level 2, because all PCs need 40 XP to do it. Getting to level 3 will take between 15 and 60 encounters, though, because while the XP per encounter doesn't increase, the number of XP to advance does.

Using your example, defeating a couple of kobolds at level 0 might give 4 XP. If you somehow managed to defeat an ogre chieftain at that level, you'd get...4 XP?

This system seems to lack another advantage of the AD&D progression system, which is that lower level characters advance faster. With leveling tables that grow exponentially and monster XP values that increase accordingly, a new low-level character will soon come close to catching up with higher-level party members. But that doesn't seem to be the case with the DCC system.

Seems like a strange system to me.

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#134 Post by connivingsumo »

Zhym wrote:Using your example, defeating a couple of kobolds at level 0 might give 4 XP. If you somehow managed to defeat an ogre chieftain at that level, you'd get...4 XP?
He also said, "So the XP is given out based on the challenge of the encounter,[...]" so I think an Ogre Chieftain would yield more?

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#135 Post by greyarea »

connivingsumo wrote:
Zhym wrote:Using your example, defeating a couple of kobolds at level 0 might give 4 XP. If you somehow managed to defeat an ogre chieftain at that level, you'd get...4 XP?
He also said, "So the XP is given out based on the challenge of the encounter,[...]" so I think an Ogre Chieftain would yield more?
Quite possibly. If they were able to do that, I'd probably award more than 4 to the one or two players that survived. More likely, the players would flee and get an XP or two for their efforts. :)
Zhym wrote: For example, between 10 and 40 encounters should get a 1st level PC to level 2, because all PCs need 40 XP to do it. Getting to level 3 will take between 15 and 60 encounters, though, because while the XP per encounter doesn't increase, the number of XP to advance does.
This system seems to lack another advantage of the AD&D progression system, which is that lower level characters advance faster. With leveling tables that grow exponentially and monster XP values that increase accordingly, a new low-level character will soon come close to catching up with higher-level party members. But that doesn't seem to be the case with the DCC system.
Lower characters do advance more quickly, as your math shows. 10-40 vs 15-60 encounters, averaging 15-20 for the advancement to 2nd and 30-40 for the advancement to 3rd in my experience.

One could argue that I should have weighted the XP more for the lower level characters, but that's a different argument. :)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by Zhym »

Hey, that is a different argument! :D

It just seems that the low-level progression should be faster, I guess.

Do hobbit thieves get any bonus XP for doing thiefly hobbit things? A trap is more dangerous than most combats for Odo. ;)

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#137 Post by greyarea »

Zhym wrote:Hey, that is a different argument! :D

It just seems that the low-level progression should be faster, I guess.

Do hobbit thieves get any bonus XP for doing thiefly hobbit things? A trap is more dangerous than most combats for Odo. ;)
Yep. I think I got them all looking through the history. If I missed one or two, let me know. :)

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#138 Post by GreyWolfVT »

ok so rolled for Bror level up hp Lvl up HP [1d8] = 8
:D
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#139 Post by greyarea »

GreyWolfVT wrote:ok so rolled for Bror level up hp Lvl up HP [1d8] = 8

connivingsumo