Part One: The End of the Road

Griffith
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Part One: The End of the Road

#121 Post by Pulpatoon »

Coat of Nine-Hides is relaxed, confident that the kobolds would not betray them quite so immediately. She holds her spear loosely, but maintains vigilance.

Brother Dumphey is simply agog at the kobold dwellingspace. He wonders if they would be interested in hearing the prophecies of Quases.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#122 Post by coil23 »

Tun cocks an eye toward the gnome, waiting to take his cue at what should be done next.

The gnome casually steps to the side to position himself properly. With one grab and a pivot he can now swing the kobold guide into being a shield against the incoming mystery if need be. He also casts a glance in the opposite direction to see if they are now being approached from both sides. Boo asks their guide quietly, what is this? What's going on?

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#123 Post by Griffith »

Seven kobolds come trudging down the hall into the light. The largest of the seven wears a droopy, dirty toque and a stained apron. He carries a large cleaver. His six assistants carry large metal pots (with clanking metal lids) filled with a steaming, stinking slop.

The cook and the guide exchange words and then the cook and his assistants push past and scurry down the stairs (B). The guide, torch in hand, follows closely behind not bothering to see if the adventurers are following.
Boo understands the words that are exchanged.
Cook: Outworlders, eh? They’ll be stuck inside for awhile with all that snow blanketing the mountains. Heh, heh, heh.
Guide: Whatever
Cook: Harumph! Well, it’s chow time… we’re heading down to the Feasting Hall…
Guide: Great! I’m starved *licks his chops again*

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Pulpatoon »

Coat of Nine-Hides: "I don't much relish the thought of their victuals, but we seem to have lost our guide. Should we follow, or make our own way?"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#125 Post by coil23 »

Boo offers quietly, I say we at least get a look into the feast hall. It might give us an idea of how the general troops feel about us. And though I have every intention of keeping my word to the dog-folk, we may get a better idea of their numbers- good information to have in case things go south on the peace accord. After that though...what are thoughts on a next direction? The mushroom cave could be promising. If we defeat what is there but no one else knows of it it could allow for a "secret" passage into or escape from the warrens that others might not follow.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Pulpatoon »

Coat of Nine-Tails grins, "I know some dogs who'd balk at the comparison.

"And, yes, we might as well begin with the mushroom cavern. In the absence of a meaningful direction, an arbitrary one will do just as well."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#127 Post by coil23 »

Boo wants to take at least a peek into the feast hall to try and gauge numbers for the kobold tribe. If no on else is interested, he will do that quickly and then the party can make their way to the mushroom cave. Or other suggestions on a destination?

The gnome nods knowingly at Coat of Nine-Hides' comment. I know what you mean, though I kind of like the critters. I have had run-ins before. Granted, it definitely helps to bargain from a position of power. Running into them singly rather than in a pack is a boon too when it comes to peaceful relations. But I've traded goods and information on more than one occasion with kobolds and they kept their word. I'm not fool enough to expect that will always be the case but I've kept my side of the bargain with them before. That first encounter in the tunnel.... That was...unfortunate timing when we could not afford to be boxed in between strangers and rats. Needs must when the devil drives. He shrugs though the expression speaks more of regret than dismissal.

Tun wants candy.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by Pulpatoon »

Coat of Nine-Hides: "Dining Hall, and then Mushroom Cavern, then. Shall we?" She saunters casually after the chef kobold.

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#129 Post by Griffith »

The kobold cook and his 6 assistants lead the way down the stairs, closely behind is the torch-bearing kobold guide, behind him are the adventurers. At the bottom of the stairs without hesitation the cook opens the door (1) and he and his retinue file in.

Here is a workshop. In the eastern wall are two forges, their smoldering, white-hot contents fill the room with oven-like heat. There are 6 kobold blacksmiths at work, hammering on iron and pumping the bellows. At first, the smiths are alarmed by the presence of the adventurers and raise their hammers to attack, but the cook assures them they carry the Writ and the smiths drop their weapons and fall in with the other kobolds. They seem eager for the coming feast and do not delay. There is only time for a cursory examination of the workshop. There is a workbench with an anvil. There are haphazard piles of kobold-sized weapons, armor, iron, old human weapons, broken bits of armor, leather, and other metal-working items.

The cook leads the growing throng through the door (3) and into the next room. Here are Barracks, housing 24 beds, though only 4 kobolds are currently sleeping here. The cook bangs his cleaver on one of his stew pots waking the sleeping kobolds. Everyone quickly contnues on to the next room. Adventurers see a weapons racks and armor racks, both mostly empty. They have no time for a more thorough examination.

The cook leads them through the next door (4) and they finally reach the Feast Hall. Attached to six pillars are torches that light the room. There are several long tables with benches. Aready seated are 4 male koblods and 12 female kobolds. They cheer and raise their goblets of wine when the cook and his assistants enter. The assistants plunk down their pots and all the kobolds quickly gather around to get their helpings of stew. The kobolds are all chattering away, gobbling up their food, and sloppily gulping down their wine. The stew is greasy and disgusting with fingers, toes, eyeballs and other mysterious bits floating beside carrots, onions, and potatoes. In one pot is a roasted rat, but the kobolds seem to prefer the stew.

There are 4 kegs with spigots on the west wall. Next to them is a small table. On the table is a small silver bowl.

actions?

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#130 Post by coil23 »

I'm wondering if door 5 on this map corresponds to door 6 on the map that shows the throne room.

Quietly to his peers Boo asks, head out that door just to further map the layout and then head to the dangerous mushroom cavern?

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#131 Post by Griffith »

coil23 wrote:I'm wondering if door 5 on this map corresponds to door 6 on the map that shows the throne room.
Actually the characters have descended to level 2 in the dungeon. The throne room is on level 1. The stairs on this map correspond to the stairs marked B on the previous map. This map is level 2, the previous map is level 1.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#132 Post by coil23 »

So much for me being clever. :roll:

Boo politely asks one of the lunching kobolds, what's through there?, pointing at the other visible door in the room. (5)

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#133 Post by Griffith »

coil23 wrote:So much for me being clever. :roll:

Boo politely asks one of the lunching kobolds, what's through there?, pointing at the other visible door in the room. (5)
The cook slurps his wine, wipes his face with the back of his hand, and answers Boo's question. "It's just a hallway, goes this way and that. If you want to go deeper into the mines, head north to the Mushroom Cave. Then head east till you find a passage that slopes downwards, that will take you down and further in... if that's what you want."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#134 Post by coil23 »

Boo looks to the party to see if the consensus is the mushroom cave or elsewhere.

Tun politely gestures to ask permission to taste the roasted rat since it seems to be rather unpopular with the kobolds.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Pulpatoon »

Coat of Nine-Hides drinks in all the details she can as the party passes through the kobold's dwellings. She says to Boo, "I'm all for heading to this mushroom cavern. If there's an opening for such a request, would you ask the kobolds to lend me a bow and arrows? I had to pawn mine, about a month back."

Brother Dumphey heads over to the casks. If he sees a free vessel, he will try to get himself a drink. While in the vicinity, he examines the silver bowl, as well.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by ybn1197 »

Brother Huxley and Gebhart both nod their agreement to checking out the mushroom caves.

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#137 Post by Griffith »

coil23 wrote:Tun politely gestures to ask permission to taste the roasted rat since it seems to be rather unpopular with the kobolds.
A kobold nearby notices the ogre-kin's gestures. The kobold shrugs. Grinning and nodding, he then offers Tun a bowl of "stew". Tun can see what looks like either a thumb or a toe floating in the red-brown slop.

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#138 Post by Griffith »

Pulpatoon wrote:Coat of Nine-Hides drinks in all the details she can as the party passes through the kobold's dwellings. She says to Boo, "I'm all for heading to this mushroom cavern. If there's an opening for such a request, would you ask the kobolds to lend me a bow and arrows? I had to pawn mine, about a month back."

Brother Dumphey heads over to the casks. If he sees a free vessel, he will try to get himself a drink. While in the vicinity, he examines the silver bowl, as well.
Assuming Boo translates Coat of Nine-Hide's request: One of the kobold blacksmiths looks the fur-clad waif up and down and says in broken common, "You pay 1 gold coin for bow and 1 gold coin for quiver arrows..."

Brother Dumphey finds a wood goblet nearby and helps himself to some wine. The wine is clear with a slight amber color, a moldy-bread aroma, and a distinct mushroom flavor. The silver bowl is a very fine piece of craftsmanship. In the bowl are 3 small mushrooms with blue caps.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Pulpatoon »

Coat of Nine-Hides digs around and pulls out her last two gold coins. "At least I won't have to worry about these two clinking together when I'm trying my best to be sneaky. Boo, kindly tell this one I want to examine the bow and arrows first. If I like what I see, he has a deal."

Brother Dumphey says a little prayer over the cup of wine before trying a sip. Then, looking around, he points to the silver bowl. "A-any body mind if I, um, partake?"

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#140 Post by Griffith »

The kobold blacksmith pushes away from the table and rubs his full belly before belching.
'I speak a little common tongue. Bow's in workshop. Let's go." he says to Coat of Nine-Hides and gestures for her to follow him as he heads towards the door (4).

Brother Dumphey takes a sip of the wine. It is slightly sweet and has an odd, mushroomy, moldy-bread flavor; but seems safe. He asks to partake of the blue-capped mushrooms. There is no reaction from the kobolds. They seem focused on their food and drink and fellow kobolds; hardly noticing the actions of the outworlders.

Return to “A Company of Corpses (B/X)”