Chapter 03: Minn's Mound

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Chapter 03: Minn's Mound

#341 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin moves the only remaining rock into one of the already triggered pits so that it is no in anyone's way as the move forward. He will get closer to Thorelf and help check for traps when he can safely do so from one of the marked slabs suspected to not be trapped.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#342 Post by Nordbo »

Is there a small ledge next to the door, i.e. space between the door and the slab R6? It looks like that on the image, sort of a foot?
It is only shadow, not a solid part.
Thorelf also tries to find any traps on L6/R6.
OK, please roll d100 for each slab.

At the same time, Korin pushes the boulder on R4 sideways over the edge down into the pit that was once slab L4. <Ka-plooosh!> it lands in the liquid below, with a mighty splash. Korin then nudges up behind Thorelf on slab L5, where he will have to decide which of the two slabs L6/R6 he wants to check for traps first. It't will be tricky for both Korin and Thorelf to check both L6/R6 from L5 at the same time without risking toppling over each other and risk falling onto L6, R6 or R5 - or even back into pit L4. If you still decide to do so, both must roll d100 followed by 1d8.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by sastaz »

GreyWolfVT

#344 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin standing one slab behind Thorelf will wait to check for traps after Thorelf is done. "That was tha plan."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#345 Post by Nordbo »

Korin standing one slab behind Thorelf
That amounts to standing in the liquid pit which was once slab L4.
Korin announced "only step on the slabs with symbols." The only way Korin could move forward would then be to L5, hence:
Korin then nudges up behind Thorelf on slab L5
= they end up on the same slab. Each slab is 10'x10'; with enough room to share, standing. However, performing complex manouvers like bending down and stretching out for checking traps on surrounding slabs, while holding torches etc is another matter, and might involve bumping into each other, tripping over and so on. Realistically, one character could stand up while the other one kneels down to scour the nearby area for traps. Hence request for either taking turns in checking traps while standing on the same slab, or rolling d100/d8s for a balance test if both doing it at the same time.

If all this slab business is getting to feel annoying :| - a well-intended and hopefully helpful reminder, from the 'house rules' post:
In this game, the DM doesn't draw the map, the PCs do. If the group wants to keep track of location, please create and upload a current map image, regularly, either directly in the current game thread or in the 'Maps' thread. Otherwise there might be random loss of direction. (Any format will do: a scanned scribble on graph paper, tile jpgs laid out in an image editing programme. Or snazzy output from some dungeon software tool. Even an Excel screen shot could work).
Thorelf carefully checks the two last slabs in front of him for traps. For L6, he wasn't able to figure out if it is trapped or not. On R6 his thief skills clearly helped him: R6 is definitely safe/non-trapped.
For Korin's follow-up check traps, please roll d100 and indicate which slab(s) he's checking (presumably L6?).

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#346 Post by sastaz »

Ok, let's do this. Black slab = trapdoor, yellow slag = sparks. Thorelf's horse in antechamber, rest of horses somewhere far away.
Attachments
Map so far.
Map so far.
Minns mound map 1.png (42.23 KiB) Viewed 215 times

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#347 Post by sastaz »

When Thorelf sees Korin coming closer he steps diagonally to R6 and points at L5. "Korin, stay there and let me check the door."

I now assume Korin is on slab L5 checking L6 for traps.

Thorelf searches the door for traps. Roll: [1d100] = 96

"Korin, I'm not sure about the door. I would let you check, but there's not room for the both of us without risking anything. How about I try to poke it open? Or should we both backtrack to the moldy room so that you can get to the door?"

GreyWolfVT

#348 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin shrugs from L5 "Do what yah can. I'll stay where I am."

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by sastaz »

Thorelf puts his stick down on the floor on the slab he's currently on. Just as with the last door, Thorelf tries to pull the door open slowly, just a few inches, torch in the other hand. If nothing unexpected happens, he tries to listen to hear any noises from inside.

Overriding my one post per day quota on purpose to move things on in the slab corridor, hope that's fine.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#350 Post by Dram »

Ox- passes back the message on what slabs to step on.

I meant to say only stepping on the safe slabs that they cleared. Sorry.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#351 Post by Nordbo »

Wow, nice map - great!
I now assume Korin is on slab L5 checking L6 for traps.
He is on L5 but has not rolled for L6 trap checks yet.

Thorelf cannot determine if the door is trapped, but decides to pull the handle anyway. However, the door won't open.

From the back, a murmur is suddenly heard. It is Norbold, who suddenly says, to no-one in particular: "Life..is better in the Sun Kingdom. On the other side, of the sea"

Sastaz, feel free to post as much as you like! The tempo and development in this game tends to naturally adjust itself to all players' / the DM's input over time. Active inputs = active game. Sporadic input = sporadic game. If no input at all over a long period = that player's character may be afflicted with something called Ansgar's Autopathy ;) (see house rules)

GreyWolfVT

#352 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#353 Post by Nordbo »

Korin could unfortunately not figure out if L6 is trapped or not.

(Btw, GW, level 2 thieves check traps at 25%, not 40%, I think? (Phb p28) Unless Korin has some extra add that I forgot... Just checking)

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#354 Post by sastaz »

"Fellows, this is a fake door, just a decoy to lure us into the trapped corridor. However, that must mean there's something valuable to protect around here. Now, how to find the real entrance that the traps are set to protect? Let's check the walls for any concealed doors! Could you fellows in the back check the antechamber?"

Thorelf starts checking the walls of the untrapped slabs, working backwards: R6, L5 then R4.

"Master Greinder always used to say: 'Thorelf, about false doors. Love is like a false door. You think you find what you were looking for, but then sh-' wait, why am I even telling you this?"

I think dwarves add a racial +15% on check traps thief skill as per PHB p.28.

GreyWolfVT

#355 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin shakes his head "I can't find a trap ere but dunno that I'm at tha top of me skills while doin this an holdin a torch."
Nordbo wrote:Korin could unfortunately not figure out if L6 is trapped or not.

(Btw, GW, level 2 thieves check traps at 25%, not 40%, I think? (Phb p28) Unless Korin has some extra add that I forgot... Just checking)
racial bonuses Base of 25% + 15% for being a dwarf
1e Thief Skills + Racial Adjustments table.JPG
1e Thief Skills + Racial Adjustments table.JPG (64.37 KiB) Viewed 180 times

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#356 Post by Nordbo »

You're absolutely correct GW, thanks for providing the information - apologies for questioning it.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#357 Post by sastaz »

"But let's check for hidden doors. Next to any fake enterance, there's bound to be a real one. Korin, how about you check the walls of the corridor along those?" Torelf points at slabs L3, L2 and R1. "Phoenix, Ox, start searching the antechember?"

Thorelf continues checking the walls of the untrapped slabs, working backwards: R6, L5 then R4. I guess GM rolls for finding hidden doors?

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#358 Post by Nordbo »

Players may roll their own 1d6 for 'secret door searches' (along the line of 'find traps' rolls for a thief)

GreyWolfVT

#359 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin checks for any secret doors while standing on the plates he is able to safely stand on Search Check [1d6] = 4

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#360 Post by Storm11 »

Phoenix begins tapping his way around the antechamber, looking for signs of a hidden entrance or exit, along the walls, in the floor and as high as he can go towards the ceiling.

[1d6] = 5
Greys Campaign.

Return to “Minn's Mound (1e AD&D)”