Chapter 01: Another day at the pub

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Chapter 01: Another day at the pub

#1 Post by Nordbo »

On a hot dusty afternoon in old Slowcroft, you wander over to the local pub for a cold pint. Inside, you spot some people grouped in the corner.
It looks like it might be your old adventuring mates from The Pits of Wob, plus maybe someone else.
In any case, they seem to be talking about a monk, and something called "Minn's mound"…
Time_for_a_pint.jpg
Time_for_a_pint.jpg (197.44 KiB) Viewed 6446 times

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 01: Another day at the pub

#2 Post by Nordbo »

Darren, as always ready behind the bar, greets you as you saunter into the refuge the pub offers from the dusty heat outside.

"G'day, whatcha havin'? Shall I have it sent over to your friends' table ?"

and nods towards the table in the corner. "Sounds like you'll all be needin' a swig to clear yer throats harr harr"

Welcome to loiter here while remaining players complete their character sheets etc.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin "I'll be takin' the usual Darren." the dwarf replies looking for anyone nearby to test his fast fingered skills on...sitting near his old friends and the new face.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Nordbo »

Ox is already slumped over a double pint of honey mead, his helmet slightly askew while trying to focus on what one of the young Oathead lads in their midst is babbling about. Something about a dead monk up river. You think: "What river ?"

Thumping the frothy tankard down, Darren quizzes Korin in a lower voice:

"Ehm, river schmiver; never mind young Timmy here. Whatcha make of this fancy knight dude been seen wanderin' round the area ? 'e's not a 'friend' you found in them there 'pits', is he ? "

GreyWolfVT

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin shakes his head "Nope not that I can remember, I dun recall savin' no high an mighty shiny knight. Just mostly our own hides. Oh an them two ugly ones a man and a woman we mistook for the princess." looking around the room to see who else is around that he doesn't recognize.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Nordbo »

"Yuh, but..." - Darren's reply to Korin is interrupted by young Timmy tugging at his sleeve:

"Honest, Darren! It's true! The river! We caught newts there! There's water!! "

"Aw sharrap Timmy, the river Mush's been dry for years. Them beer-guzzlers here drank it all, newt-head! Yar harr" and goes on to serve other guests, while Korin scans the room, spotting some possible unknowns. One lady looks a bit like Rickina Plumcheek but is not wearing any pocketable bling, as far as Korin can see. (Darren's comment makes sense, since the countryside around Slowcroft is pretty dry, as you yourself saw when riding towards Rat Ridge last time round).

Suddenly, a scruffy bloke at the next table, overhearing the talk of a 'fancy knight', clears his throat, spits on the floor and comments: "Phtooey! Dunno about fancy, but I saw a scruffy templar by the gates, asking (in a high-falootin' way) if we needed help chopping wood. Or chopping giants! Haarr har har. He was packing some nice gear though...didya see that star shield, Robald ?" he asks his companion, who mumbles "Uh yeah....he must 'ave nicked it somewhere. Crap helmet though."

Darren swerves by again: "Yeah, that's the guy I meant. Ya catch his name ?"

Robald gurgles: "Uh...Malacca sumthin' "
Back_in_the_pub.jpg
Back_in_the_pub.jpg (165.94 KiB) Viewed 6410 times

PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by PyroArrow »

Norbold Ernessaeia (Sylvanian Elf Cleric) Hit Points 6 / 6:

Norbold walks into into the Pub, orders a tea from Darren and then walks over to where his friends are sitting, while asking the room in general, "Anyone need any healings today ?".

He then sits down and hears about this Minn's Mound, his friends are talking about, which kind of gave him the creeps because of a dream he once had of a cursed infected priest whose body was

tossed into a river which turned to blood.
Last edited by PyroArrow on Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)

GreyWolfVT

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin chuckles at Norbold "Nah aint been needin' much healing since we buried Wob in his hole."

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Nordbo »

The gathered friends have only just gotten cosy inside the pub when a streak of light cuts through the dark musty interior, as the pub door swings gracefully open.
A strong silhouette manifests itself, outlined against the glittering sunlight in the doorway. Everyone's eyes are fixed on the strangely tattered yet imposing apparition: a man-in-arms from foreign lands. He wears, nay bears up a suit of dented scale mail, faded from its once royal blue hue. On his head, a pointy helmet with many-a-scars from skirmishes in the orient. What stands out most, however, is his small yet intricately decorated shield, patterned with a symbolic blue eye over a white star.
The 'knight' (for it is he) looks very poor, but despite this somehow radiates nobility.

<Gasp!> is all the usually talkative Darren can manage.
Fancy_knight.jpg
Fancy_knight.jpg (194.76 KiB) Viewed 6386 times

MajorRoy
Strider
Strider

#10 Post by MajorRoy »

Melkior pauses at the door as to let his eyes adjust to the dim light in the pub, then enters and closes the door behind him. He then raises his face! Which is revealed to be a bearded face mask of metal, maybe once shiny but now lusterless, dusty and dented. Beneath the mask a young mans hairless face is revealed, hansom, exotic and with light green piercing eyes.

Greetings good folk. I hope I'm not intruding, but my throat is parched and my belly is crying like a cat in heat. The road has been hard though, so I'm not of considerable means. If I can pay by doing any menial service, that would be to my satisfaction. He finishes with a courteous and sincere bow.
Last edited by MajorRoy on Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Nordbo »

Darren, still transfixed, hands the stranger a drink straight off the tray he's carrying. "O-o-n t-h-he house, mister"

"Hey! That was my order", irked Robald bawls.

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin turns to Robald "Eh calm her arse down Robald good Darren'll get yah another one. So sit down and shuddup, yah durned impatient fool. Can yah see this man clearly needs something ta get the taste of the road outta his mouth." the dwarf points at the man in the clearly battle and weather worn armor in the odd pointy helm. "Come sit drink and if yah need some food I'll cover that too. So tell us yer tale traveler."

MajorRoy
Strider
Strider

#13 Post by MajorRoy »

Melkior smiles and bows to the dwarf.

"I am in your eternal debt, master dwarf, and in yours, master barkeep."

He dusts himself of as best to his ability, removes his helmet and other parts of his armor, and sits down. First then he drinks greedily. After finishing the tankard he says:

"It is not a very interesting tale, I'm afraid. My father wanted me to join the royal guard as a golden cataphract, and as an obedient child I labored to be the best I could be, to honor my father and give shining example to lesser men. This labor included the study of our ancient texts, of law, of history, of language among other things. But in my studies I found the wisdom of the Starry Eye, or Göz"
(he kisses a wooden symbol of an eye on a many pointed star hanging from his neck, similar to the device on his shield)
"as we call It in our dialect. I could not accept a life in splendor while the small folk suffered from all the dark evils of this world, not while knowing I was in the gaze of the Eye. In the royal library, I read of holy paladins of yore, heroes who selflessly sacrificed their societal position and material wealth to help those in need, to honor Göz, to present a better world for It to behold. I choose that path for me, and left the court and it's intrigues to lesser men. And Göz saw me and filled me with Its divine light, and the light guided me here, through bad and wastelands filled with dangers and hardships not worthy of mention. I do not know what It wants me to do here in this hot and dusty place, but I assume it is at least not to die of thirst!"

With this he raises his tankard and tries to gulp, only to find it empty. He direct himself to Darren:

"Barkeep, you have already saved me once, could I inconvenience you to repeat this miracle of kindness? And yes, some food to?"
Last edited by MajorRoy on Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Nordbo »

"Coming up!" - Darren rushes to expedite the order, while Robald and his mates at the next table grumble mockingly into their beers: "Ooo mr fancy pants knows dem smart words. Cattlephrack, holy miracles, yeah right. Hole in the head if you ask me..." then turn away to mutter about something else.

Young Timmy Oathead, however, gawps in amazement at the new arrival. "Gosh, sir, are you a real knight? Have you killed giants ? I know where they live, promise! By the river-and-newts-and-Minn the monk-and" (gets over-excited)

Returning with beer and food, Darren advices Melchior: "Don't mind young Timmy here, sir, he's just full of stories. Enjoy your meal".
Turning to Norbold: "Tea, did you say, Norby ? What's happened, gone off the real stuff ?" placing a blue ceramic cup of fragrant, piping hot Ogre Grey in front of him.
Then, to Ox, Korin and Norbold:
"By the way guys, your pal Jacob forgot his bag here a while back. I'm not running a left-luggage service here, tell him will ya?" and plonks a dusty sack on the table in front of them.

GreyWolfVT

#15 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin "Eh don't worry about that I'll return his bag to his family. Timmy is quite excitable today aint he? Think nothing of it buying a drink for a road weary warrior is the least I could offer." the dwarf having multiple conversations in one breath stops to breathe and drink.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Nordbo »

While the above is happening, a girl near the bar picks up a lute, and proceeds to entertain the guests with the following heroic ballad:

"When as the men of Slowcroft,
with glistering speare and shield:

Had entred into the Wasteland,

and foild their foes in fielde.

Now many Castles they subdude,

faire Greyhawk with the rest:

But Wob did still withstand their force,

which did his ways detest.

To Rat Ridge they tooke their way,

the fortress downe to fling:

Which Wob builded there,

the evil goblin king...."

MajorRoy
Strider
Strider

#17 Post by MajorRoy »

Melkior says to Timmy, smiling:

"Not really, young friend, nothing as grand as that. But giants interest me greatly, as do all manner of dark evils that plauge this world. What is this place you speak about, and who is this holy man Minn?"

He tries to keep his table manners while talking but does a poor job, all the while listening to the lyrics of the girls song.

GreyWolfVT

#18 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Korin downs the rest of his drink and hears the song then rolls his eyes and runs a hand down his face "Ug, again with the ballad of our exploits with Wob, they really gotta stop with that. At first I was honored now it's just bah! stop talkin' about it already. Sides we be workin' on a new one soon enough somethin' about giants and someone named Minn I'm guessin'."

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Nordbo »

The minstrel overhears Korin's gruff comment and embarrassedly changes into another ditty:

"Our knight of the starry eye
rode from foreign lands
thought to prove himselfe...."

Young Timmy tries to explain once again. "Yes sir, I mean no sir. Me and Kev and Milly went out for newts, like. Catching newts I mean. To the river! The best place is up near Minn's Bend. Didn't catch many. But we saw a newt man! I mean, he came later. It was really scary. First we saw a monk, a priest man, praying, on the other side, on the river bank, like, and we hid in the grass. Really funny, there's no church there! Just a hole in the mud! I laughed and Kev was really scared he'd see our bucket. Then the newt man came out, he was like a newt but on two legs!!! Really big! Milly began to cry, I said quiet and then THUMP he hit him. We ran as fast as we could. It was a giant, promise! I'm sure he lives on top of that hill!"

Another kid (presumably Kev) sneaks up and claims "It was you who started crying Timmy. Naa-naa boo hoo"
Timmy swings out at Kev, who begins taunting Timmy with a singsong rhyme:

"Minn, Minn
if you're thin
then you're in!"

Timmy goes red in the face, they start fighting, and Darren storms up, throwing both kids out shouting "Geddaouddahere!"
then scratches his head, muttering: "Pesky kids. Minn's bend, huh ? But there's nothing up there...."

The ballad continues:

"...in some adventurous sport.

He armed came to forrest wide,
and met a Damsell faire:
Who told him of adventures great,
to which he gave good eare...."

MajorRoy
Strider
Strider

#20 Post by MajorRoy »

Melkior tilts his head and says to Timmy:
"A newt man? Could it be a lizard man? I have read about them, even studied their language, primitive and vulgar as it is. But was it the lizard man that was giant or was there another? I guess a lizard man is kind of a giant newt... But he or they snatched the holy man? To feast on man flesh I wager..."

He realize what he said and says in a softer tone:
"My pardon, you and your brave friends should be grateful to the Starry Eye that you were not harmed, they are dangerous creature is what I intended to say." but they are already gone.

Directed to Korin:
"This vocalist is describing an earlier exploit of yours, is that so? Then you are a dwarf that does not shy away from danger if there is a good deed to be done? This holy man that I assume is named Minn, that got kidnapped by scaly man eaters by a place called Minn's bend, that is curious by the way, needs to be saved from a terrible fate!"

He punctuates by slamming the tankard on the table, hard.

Return to “Minn's Mound (1e AD&D)”