Re: Quest #12 "Rapping With The Village People"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#1 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala the Grey

Avaala, finished with his water bucket duties, and feeling much lighter now, turns to Saracen. "What are your plans, Saracen? I travel light and if you think it wise, would be willing to attempt to catch up to the others. I am a of a type that takes his obligations to heart, though, and could not leave a job half done. What say you?"

If the warrior priest is interested in catching up to Monocar and the others...

"Give me five minutes to get something from my shack, please," Avaala asks. He then dashes over to his shack, retrieves his tent set, straps it on like he would a backpack and heads back. "I've seen too many people eaten by the bugs in that jungle. I do not intend to be one of them," he adds by way of explanation.

If the warrior priest is not planning to go after the others, I'll do something else! :-)
"There is no spoon."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#2 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen smiles his grim smile at the wizard. ”I am not intending to catch up to the others no. They have been gone way too long and the last time we saw the river people it felt like a trap to me. I am content to watch the ship and figure out a way to explore it further. Something is happening out there, and I mean to find out what!

The orange robed half-orc begins to scout around the area for signs of any bird life around.
Greys Campaign.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala the Grey

Avaala answers Saracen with a smile of his own. "Then I hope you would welcome Rollo and myself in your investigations. I have plied too many of my past trades lately, and would welcome the role of adventurer once again."
"There is no spoon."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Storm11 »

Good Avaala, you both would be very welcome to join me in this endeavour! What we need is a spy, and a way to get aboard the vessel and take a look around. The worry of course is what’s below the surface of the water, but then we might be able to gain a sly or two there as well. My plan is only in its early stages, any help in fleshing it out would be very welcome. With access to some new and more powerful sun magic our options are a little wider perhaps.

The holy champion takes a breather and continues to scout the surrounding area for gulls or other sea faring birds that would look innocuous flying over or even landing on the ship to explore a little.
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Quest #13 "Whats On The Green Flash"

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Mystery Of The Green Flash
Godsday, The 2nd of Goodmonth
Noon, Hot, Humid, Buggy

Saracen is glad to welcome the help of the mage Avaala and his friendly mastiff on his search to find answers about the lone vessel. He admits that his idea's are still in the embryo stage, but the more minds on a task the better, he thinks.

The trio of Saracen, Avaala, and Rollo take a short walk down to the edge of the Azure Sea to try to spot any marine birds that might be willing to help their cause. They see the fire tenders turned cooks at the smoky pit, as always. They also see a few fishermen near their empty boats over by the long floating bamboo dock.

Rollo sniffs the salty air and plays in the shallow surf as the waves gently lap up onto the harder packed sandy shoreline. He spots a large bird floating on the surface of the water a few hundred feet away and barks at it a couple of times, clearly pointing it out to his master. The bird is a large creature that looks a lot like a fat pelican. Its plumage is dull grey with streaks of black and its feathers are mottled and heavily damaged. It shakes its large head and beak up and down at the barking of the dog, as if to say, come on out and get me if you think you can.

Actions?

Saracen F/C 2/3 25/25 3/4 first 1/1 second
Avaala MU2 9/9 CL, DM, RM 2/2 first
Rollo 17/17

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Storm11 »

If the gull is within 30 feet of the half-orc he will cast his speak with Animals spell and call out to the bird, offering some of his dry bread from his rations to tempt it over.

Hail friend, my name is Saracen. I was wondering if we could do each other a favour. Have you seen the two legs on the ship over there? Do you know how many two legs are still left upon the ship? What can I do for you?
Greys Campaign.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala the Grey

Avaala looks at the bird Rollo pointed out. He says to Saracen, "Why do you suppose it just sits there, not moving? Injured or not, you think it would try to get out of the hunting grounds out there." Suspicious of nearly everything about this island now, he studies it for a moment and then asks the nearby fishermen, "Say, how long has that bird been out there? I'm surprised nothing has come along and eaten it, in these waters."
"There is no spoon."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Storm11 »

It bodes well that there isn’t anything too dangerous lurking below the surface at least. the holy champion says, before dismissing the gull and looking for something closer.
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Noon, Hot, Humid, Buggy

The ugly bird continues to swim around in the water, looking down for something to eat periodically as it ignores the folks on land. It swims around in large circles a bit, but doesn't seem to come any closer to the beach. Saracen does not currently see any other animals nearby, though other birds are flying around at a distance.

The fishermen are friendly enough to converse with, considering they haven't had all that much luck plying their trade in this area lately. One of the men chuckles at Avaala's question before responding.

"You ain't much of a water guy, eh? These waters are fairly shallow. It ain't more'n 3 fathoms deep anywhere off the shore round ere. There are things that can eat you out there, don't get me wrong, but the real big sea critters can't come up into water like this."

"Cant say how long it's been around, but that big ugly bastard ain't hurting nothin out there. I wish I had a crossbow set up. I bet it tastes just like chicken!"

Actions?

Rollo 17/17

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen smiles at the fisherfolk. Have you seen the ship off shore a ways up the coast. The green flash is it? How many sailors man the vessel would you say? And could any of you get us close enough to board the ship quietly at night? Not right now but after we have some information on what it’s up to?
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fishermen Joe perks up his ears when the Green Flash is mentioned to him.

"The Flash is one of the ships that brings us supplies and transports more people to the island. I wonder what its doing anchored down there. I would say that it would take at least a dozen men to man such a ship, but it could obviously carry many, many more."

The fishermen look at the half-orc suspiciously when he mentions boarding her.

"Well, we could surely get you to the ship quietly in one of our row boats, but why would you want to do that? Captain Quarks guys are all fairly nice when they get the time to come ashore, but Bings guys on the Flash are real a-holes. I wouldn't want to try to sneak qaboard that ship, no matter how many of them were guarding it."

"My name is Joe, by the way. Who are you, again? All I know you by is crab people?"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen laughs aloud at that. Crab men, hehe, I like it. My name is Saracen Solaris , warrior-priest of the blinding light Pholtus. It is good to meet you. Well as to the green flash, it’s been acting unusually, and I do wonder if everything is alright on board. We recently defeated a sea troll, but we don’t know that it was the only one out there. Perhaps there are others that have captured the vessel with lost of its crew on shore, and eaten the rest. We could do with sailing quietly by and getting a closer look if that’s possible and you are willing?
Greys Campaign.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala the Grey

Avaala adds, "My name's Avaala. This is Rollo. And we wouldn't be asking you to go aboard, Joe. No, sir. But if you could get us out there, we could have a look and make sure everything's .... ship-shape, as it were." He finishes with a 'OK, I know. Funny guy.' grin at his pun.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#14 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fisherman Joe looks on suspiciously at the idea of messing with the unfriendly sailors.

"So, it's Sara, Avi, and Rollo then? Well met friends! If you were the ones who took the troll down, then you have my thanks! That thing was unpredictable and very dangerous for us fishermen."

He scratches his dirty chin for a minute before saying anything else.

"I could get you there quietly enough in this ol' tub, but I am not interested in putting my life on the line over it. If those mean bastards see that I had anything to do with it......." He makes a throat slashing motion with his thumb across his neck.

"I will do this for you at no charge, as a way of saying thanks for killing the troll, but I wont do it until later tonight. If you don't mind waiting until it can be done under the cover of darkness, I will get you there undetected."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Storm11 »

That is mighty kind of you thank you sir. We may not even need to board the vessel, just pass it by perhaps and get a good look at what’s occurring. Saracen says aimiably.

Until tonight then he says nodding his head and making to wander off. If Avaala and his hound follow the half-orc whispers Now to find some others that might be willing to help out hmmmm! Any ideas?
Greys Campaign.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala the Grey

"Well," says Avaala. "I think most of the other adventuring types were heading out of town. But they might well be back by this evening. If not, then it's likely just the two of us. I do not like the idea of taking Rollo out on a small boat at night. I think I'll just have him guarding our shack tonight."
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Dusk, Hot, Humid, Buggy

Fisherman Joe is right where he says he will be when the duo returns to the dock after sunset.

"Hello again! I figure it will take at least an hour to row that far. It should be dark enough out by then, so they shouldn't see us coming. Is there anything you want to take along, or are you ready to shove off?"

Actions?

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen appears at the appointed time. He has left his pack and two handed sword behind in his shack, but has brought his longsword, shield and bow and quiver.

He greets Joe amiably and nods to Avaala. All set he says warily. Lets take a quiet trip out and see what’s up with the flash hmmm
Greys Campaign.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala the Grey

Avaala used the time to take Rollo back to the shack, remove his armor and make sure there is food and water out for him. "Stay, Rollo. Guard," he tells the dog. He scratches him behind the ears and adds, "I know there isn't much to guard, but guard it anyway."

He grabs his gear and meets with Saracen at the beach near dark. "Joe," he says, nodding at the fisherman. Turning to Saracen again, he says, "Ready when you are." And steps carefully into the boat.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Night, Cloudy, Humid, Buggy

The bugs are bad after dark. Very bad. But since the dock is close enough to the fire pit, normal conversation can still be had. Joe greets you both and hurries you into the boat.

"Come on fellers! The swarms die down a lot once you are out over the water."

The small rowboat is pushed away from the bamboo dock and Joe starts rowing towards the east. Once you are a few hundred feet off shore, the bugs do become a lot more tolerable, dying down almost completely. The tiny red glow of the cook fire slowly fades out of your view as you travel away from the town. The sky is overcast enough to block out most of the moonlight trying to filter through, and after a while, your eyes adjust to the darkness. The ride is creepy, and being in almost complete darkness makes it even creepier.

After about an hour or more, you finally spot the silhouette of the big ship on the horizon. A single light source burns on the deck, but no other sign of life can be seen from this distance. Fisherman Joe tries to keep any unnecessary noise or movement to a minimum as you make the approach. He whispers.

"So, how do you want me to do this? Straight on till we get there? Come around them from behind? What?"

Actions?

Return to “Completed Missions”