OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Quest #12 "Rapping With The Village People"

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Seeking Out The Village People
Moonday, the 1st of Goodmonth
Early Morning, Warm, Humid, Misty

The citizens of Beachtown arise to not only a new day, but a new month has dawned since they have been here as well. The morning is hot and steamy with a slight fresh mist falling lightly from the cloudy skies. The adventures wake up in their respective shacks, well rested and ready to take on a new day. They begin their usual morning routine of study, prayer, and practice, in hopes of making even more new discoveries in this strange, untamed land before long.

Monocar has been rounding up interested party members that are willing to go along with him to seek out the village of natives near the river, thinking that he can get two birds stoned at the same time. Not only can they look for their lost friends, but they can also represent the tree folk who asked them to talk to the natives in hopes of stopping them from hunting the phanaton people.

Please get me a marching order (cough *expedition leader* cough) so I can list your names accordingly. Thanks!

Monocar F2 21/21
Lightfinger T3 16/16
Chauncey MU3 16/16 CL, DM, RM 2/2 first 1/1 second
Brother Gilbert C1 8/8 3/3 first
Avaala: MU2 9/9 CL, DM, RM 2/2 first
Rollo 16/17
Alordan R3 18/18

I believe Luther might be doing his own thing temporarily. Saracen has expressed that he will not be going along (yet?). If any of that is incorrect, or if I missed anyone else, please advise.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Quest #12 "Rapping With The Village People"

#2 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Brother Gilbert

... waits for others to take the lead. Not really being a fighter sort, he would like to be in the middle of the line. Also, he has no clue of the island's geography, other than what little he has seen. Getting lost (again) seems to be a bad idea.
SpinwardMarch

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger races down the trail, trying to catch his comrades.

Hey, guys! He puffs, I have news! You need to know! Wait! Let me ... catch my breath ... This wretched heat. He wipes his forehead with his long sleeve. I need to tell you ... The Dwarves ... Hey, you guys left without me! He squats down and fans himself with both hands. Give me just a minute.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala the Grey

Recuperating with a good meal and more than a full night's sleep, Avaala wakes not only refreshed, but with a feeling he can only describe as 'Empowered'. As he studies his spells, he notes that his concentration is improved and his understanding expanded.

Sorry, I missed the fact that I gain a spell for my book with the gain of a level. I'll add this here:
Edit: Suddenly, his expanded awareness shows him a scene. He sees a battlefield with himself facing a determined enemy archer. As the archer draws an arrow and nocks it, Avaala sees himself casting a spell he has never seen before. He watches himself carefully in the vision and sees as the arrow rebounds uselessly against an invisible force in front of him. The Avaala of the vision looks at the real Avaala and says simply, "Learn" before fading away entirely. Avaala realizes what has happened and instantly pulls out his book of spells. He concentrates on what the vision showed him and the words and gestures he witnessed. He copies the words, and as he does, he sees the mystic symbols they represent engrave themselves into his book.

His entire demeanor is brightened by the revelation and he brushes down Rollo with much praise and whistling.

"Good boy! What a good boy! How does Rollo Trollkiller sound?" Avaala asks as the two of them finish their leftovers from the night before. Rollo enjoys the praise and the brushing, but is noncommittal about a name change.

"OK, enough pampering. Time for us to get to work. The others will be waiting on us. Let's go!" Avaala straps Rollo's armor on the big dog and the two of them hurry off to catch up to Monocar's trek back into the jungle.
Last edited by SirOwen on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no spoon."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

The rest of the comrades find Monocar just as he is entering the treeline towards the Monkoon settlement, he is in his armor, freshly cleaned and carries both his woodsman's axe as well as his sword, looking as ready for war as he ever has and an unusually serious look on his face some would call grim. When he hears Brotha G (wiki wiki wuh!) and then others coming, he turns to look at them and the grim mask cracks into his more recognizable grin. "Glad you guys could make it! I want to visit the phanatons first before setting out. I figure if this is what they want us to do then they will offer us some information like what direction to go and... stuff..." He looks up and is about to set out again when Lightfinger comes running up and he raises his brows in surprise offering him his waterskin. "Hey buddy, slow down, take a drink, and tell us what you found out..."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey awakens early and sits up. A vague, unidentifiable feeling gnaws at him. Turning his head slowly to the left, a small, harmless spider comes into focus climbing steadily yet erratically up the inner wall of his shack near his head. His attention is abruptly fixed. Blinking, he sees only the jittering pattern of the spider's struggle, all else losing focus, for as it climbs it does indeed with its trajectory and silhouette, the light playing off the criss-crossing intersections of its tiny legs, form a pattern that conveys a secret meaning, a cryptic language of secret symbols meant only for Chauncey.... The universe comes to a halt for a full two minutes as he stares, eyes going wider by the second.

Suddenly he snaps out of his reverie and scrambles to retrieve his writing instruments and spell book. Over the next hour he scrabbles the pattern down from memory on two blank pages, start to finish, then sits back and gasps. He gathers up his things and heads out to meet the others, head swimming with new understanding.

Seemingly appearing out of nowhere, Chauncey stands in the midst of the gathered village-seeking party, near Avalaa, preoccupied in thought. "Avalaa, the universe has spoken to me. The gates of understanding have opened overnight and divulged their contents. The cyclopean walls that stand between mortal man and the secrets known only to the Chosen Few have come tumbling down and beyond was revealed a great plain of.... Oh, sorry, I'm being rude - how was your evening?" he says.

He turns distractedly when Lightfinger arrives with his warning about dwarves.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala the Grey

Listening to the increasing excitement in Chauncey's voice, Avaala finds himself being drawn along with his friend's fervor. The sudden change to social convention hits him like a slap.

"My... what? My evening? Fine! Slept well, feel stronger and more focused this morning! WHAT WERE YOU GOING TO SAY??" There is no anger in Avaala's voice, but there is an intense curiosity. "Revealed what??!!"
"There is no spoon."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Ahh!" says Chauncey, eyes going distant. "New magic, Avalaa. Of an order of magnitude far, far beyond what we've dabbled with heretofore. Fully... twice as potent! This immeasurable power is now within my grasp." He stares off, his hand raised as if grasping for the power of which he speaks. "I learned to shoot a forty foot web... It's very cool. I would not want to be a veggiperson right now, I'll tell you that," he says.

"Oh. Eh... one more thing, Avalaa. May I speak to you in private?" he adds. He looks embarrassed and uncomfortable.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Moonday, the 1st of Goodmonth

Monocar takes control of the latest mission, certain that he can lead the group to where they need to go. He thinks that the Monkoons will be able to help him find a quicker route to the village, even though they don't ever actually go to the village, or ever move around on the ground. At all. Ever.

He stands there at the base of the trees that the group was pulled up into earlier, but no elevator is lowered down to him. Did I mention that they don't travel on the ground?

Brother Gilbert stands there looking at the massive fighter, wondering if the mental light bulb will ever pop on in his huge head.

The wizards are there too, discussing magical stuff that doesn't help with the half armored fighters mental state of mind in the least.

Lightfinger rushes up next, yelling something about dwarves. The thought only further distracts Monocar as he asks the halfling to slow down and explain himself.

At that point, a lone figure is spotted shambling into town from the loggers trail. The figure has his head and face covered with filthy articles of some kind of clothing and appears to be carrying another person along with him. That person also has their head and face covered. As the figure enters the area, he falls to the ground, dropping the prone figure he is carrying to the ground as well.

Please get me a marching order (cough *expedition leader* cough) so I can list your names accordingly. Thanks!

Monocar F2 21/21
Lightfinger T3 16/16
Brother Gilbert C1 8/8 3/3 first
Rollo 16/17
Alordan R3 18/18

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan rushes up to attend to the fallen travelers. He will lend what aid he can. "What happened here?" Seeing the cloth wrapped around their heads he tries to speak to them to lessen their tension.. "Are these for the damn bugs? Did it seem to help? I tell you, the Damn Bugs - and I think that's their proper name - will drive a man insane in these jungles.."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Bluehorse »

Jemara... Monocar Jemara... Secret Expedition Leader and Man of Mental Mystery

Looking up to see the new comers from the logging trail and the state they're in his first instinct is to rush off to the rescue... but this is a new and more responsible Monocar, and although he knee jerks in that direction, he stops himself and looks at Lightfinger. "Piggy back and tell me on the way!" his voice was urgent, but he still made it a wuestion rather than an order. He didn't assume that kind of authority yet, and was not sure if it would be an insult to scoop him up like a goblinball and run.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger stares at the new arrivals.

...Yet responds to Monocar. Ah, certainly. But had we not first...? He nods to the fallen folk.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Brother Gilbert

...stands for a minute, confused by all the commotion. He focuses on the two apparently injured figures, and walks up to them. Kneeling a bit away from them, he tries to find out what they are. With his hand on his prayer beads, he mutters the words for a Detect Evil spell.

It never pays to hurry into a trap.

Do I roll anything for the spell?
SpinwardMarch

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#14 Post by OGRE MAGE »

(no roll necessary for that spell)

Alordan and Brother Gilbert approach the two prone forms with caution. The new priest of Pelor uses his prayers of detection to determine if the newcomers are of an evil bent. He detects no such aura from either person.

The rugged ranger calls out to the pair, assuming that their heads are wrapped to protect them from the insects. He gets no reply from either of them.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala the Grey

Looking in the direction Chauncey indicates, Avaala sees the two forms on the ground. He immediately runs for them, pulling out his waterskin. Rollo follows. Reaching them, he kneels next to Alordan and, whichever person Alordan was helping, begins to help the other figure. He unwraps the person's head. Knowing the heat of the jungle, he prepares to wipe down the person's face with water to cool them, and give them a drink if they are awake.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#18 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Moonday, 1st of Goodmonth

The group unites to help the downed men. Removing the head wraps, they discover that it is none other than Raythan the half-elf who collapsed while carrying home the novice, Jaxsen.

They are both badly bitten by bugs and currently unconscious. Jaxsen looks to be in very bad shape, seemingly barely alive.

Actions?

Monocar F2 21/21
Lightfinger T3 16/16
Brother Gilbert C1 8/8 2/3 first
Rollo 16/17
Alordan R3 18/18

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger lurches as Monocar lifts him one-handed.

Hey, that's Rayban! He blurts in recognition, He's looked better. Who's that with him?

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Brother Gilbert

Hold still, I will see what I can do.

He places his hand on the person closest to him and says a quiet prayer.

Cure Light Wounds- spell [1d8] = 4

2 of 3 spells used
SpinwardMarch

Return to “Completed Missions”