Quest #12 "Rapping With The Village People"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Quest #12 "Rapping With The Village People"

#41 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala the Grey

Avaala holds one of the objects he took from Jaxsen up for everyone to look at.

"I've heard some of you talk about some kind of vegetable monsters you encountered before I got to the island." Waving the spike back and forth, he continues, "This is not a quill from an animal. It's much more like wood than a quill. Is this something we should think about? Are we in more danger from the plants here than the animals?"
"There is no spoon."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger pays close attention to Avaala.

If that's true, The Thief sends his eyes down the trail, Saving the Shireling is even more important. If he's indeed a Druid, he may be able to help us against the porcupine ... ah, Wood ... Thorn men. But we'll need to move swiftly!

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan looks concerned. "Listen, we are not equipped to handle an army of shape-changing dwarves AND a murdering captain AND this quill monster! Let's take one at a time - it seems that the right thing to do is go after this Storm fellow. Are we prepared to go now or do we need a day of rest so ALL of us don't end up like those poor guys there?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala the Grey

"Rollo and I are both fit for duty." says Avaala.
"There is no spoon."

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#45 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Brother Gilbert

I am ready to help, however I am able. Lead on, I shall follow.

Br.G. considers the damage caused by the "quills," and hopes he doesn't run into the creature(s). He is still "mostly confused."
SpinwardMarch

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by ChubbyPixie »

”Considering the state of these two when they arrived, any delay in rescuing the druid will likely render the action pointless,” says Chauncey. ”I have no desire to waste my time. Furthermore, this needle man will be no match for the combined magic of Avalaa and myself. I, for one, have just last night attained new levels of power previously unimaginable. We are, basically, guaranteed success. Shall we?”

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#48 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Seeking Out Storm The Halfling, And Then The Village People
Moonday, 1st of Goodmonth
Mid Morning, Hot, Humid, Buggy

Watching as Jaxsen leaves to care for his downed friend, the rest of the group decides it best to go and look for this Storm post haste, ere their rescue turn into a recovery. Avaala and Lightfinger warn of the possibility that the flora here may be nearly as hazardous as the other monsters that plague the island. Monocar is starting to get the idea that this place may be dangerous.

Alordan questions if the group should take an extra day to heal up first, but Chauncey reminds the ranger that the halfling likely wont last that long, if he is indeed still breathing at this point. Brother Gilbert wisely saves the last of his magic for the trail, knowing that it is likely that, if found, the druid will certainly need aid.

The group sets out without Luther or Saracen this time, thinking that speed will surely be key in finding this Storm fellow alive. They follow the instruction of Jaxsen to the word as they depart. Monocar takes the lead, missing the groups little scout Jack more and more with every step.

After walking a few miles up the loggers trail, their path starts taking them almost due west. Precisely the area where the others would have branched off into the untamed jungle. Now watching the east side of the trail carefully, it isn't long before the group finds a spot in the foliage that has clearly been recently disturbed. There are 2 sapling sized trees that have been cut down and placed in a V formation pointing directly into the jungle at the edge of the trail. Alordan has a close look around and soon finds human sized footprints in the dirt around the opening.

Lightfinger remembers this area to be only a short distance away from where he and Jack had their run-in with the unfriendly dwarves. The same dwarves that could turn themselves into large rocks at will. He shudders when he remembers the poor young group that were interfering in the dwarves business, but tries not to dwell on the image of them being cut down after supposedly trespassing into their self proclaimed territory.

Poking around at the trails entrance for a moment reveals a promising sight. A hollow log is spotted resting up against the trunk of a much larger tree only a few feet into the jungle from the loggers trail. The whole scene looks unnatural, as if the log was obviously placed there by someone. The insects here are terrible and the group spends most of their time swatting and slapping at them, trying to prevent themselves from being carried off by the larger winged bastards. Rollo sniffs the air and growls softly at the sight of the hollow log.

Actions?

Marching Order:
Monocar F2 21/21
Lightfinger T3 16/16
Chauncey MU3 16/16 CL, DM, RM 2/2 first 1/1 second
Brother Gilbert C1 8/8 1/3 first
Avaala MU2 9/9 CL, DM, RM 2/2 first
Rollo 16/17
Alordan R3 18/18

Storm Briarfoot ?/8 4/4 first Whereabouts Unknown

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger whispers.

Oh, no, He breathes, Don't tell me those Dwarves have figured out how to transform into logs also! He thinks hard for a moment, then calls out, his voice just loud enough to cover 30' or so, using the Halfling language. Storm. We seek a Hobbit called Storm.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Slowly draws out... his axe rather than his sword. no less non proficiency adjustment, right? He holds it in both hands, ready to deliver a blow and keeping his eyes peeled for danger or clues.

He will ease forward to the log and see how it got there. Could be natural deadfall, could be a trap, could be something else all together.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#51 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Brother Gilbert

Br. G. prepares to use his last spell of the day; with luck, it will be a healing spell. In the meantime, he shrugs on the small shield tied to his pack, and takes hold of his mace. He hopes he will not have to use them.
SpinwardMarch

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#53 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala the Grey

"You know,"mutters the mage."If I were going to have to leave someone behind, and wanted to both protect them from insects and make them easy to find again, I might tuck them into a hollow log."
"There is no spoon."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by ChubbyPixie »

”Interesting theory, Avalaa,” says Chauncey, ” But given our record so far on the island, that log is as likely to sprout legs and eat one of us as contain the islander we seek. ...There, you see? That end looks quite distinctly snoutish. ”

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan studies the area for any additional signs of footprints or the impression that some have been wiped away. "I don't recall them mentioning anything about setting up a marker such as this. Is this a trap to force into this part of the jungle? I don't like it..."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#56 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Seeking Out Storm The Halfling, And Then The Village People
Moonday, 1st of Goodmonth
Mid Morning, Hot, Humid, Buggy

Lightfinger calls out in his curious hobbit language. There is no answer.

Avaala says that a hollow log would be the perfect spot to hide a tiny halfling.

Chauncey mentions that the log definitely needs investigating, pointing out that it could also be a man eating monster in disguise.

Brother Gilbert gulps loudly, hoping to heal and not to hurt.

Alordan finds no other tracks, concealed or otherwise, at the trails opening. He reminds the group that there was no mention of leaving a marker behind, though Jaxsen would have been unconscious at this time and likely never knew about it.

Monocar readies his wood axe and moves in closer to the log. He doesn't see any indication of foul play, so he sticks his head up close for a better look. Right in the middle section of the hollowed out log is a tightly wrapped bundle of what looks like a cloak that is about 3 feet long. He hears nothing and sees no signs of movement from the bundle.

Actions?

Marching Order:
Monocar F2 21/21
Lightfinger T3 16/16
Chauncey MU3 16/16 CL, DM, RM 2/2 first 1/1 second
Brother Gilbert C1 8/8 1/3 first
Avaala MU2 9/9 CL, DM, RM 2/2 first
Rollo 16/17
Alordan R3 18/18

Storm Briarfoot ?/8 0/4 first Whereabouts Unknown?

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by SirOwen »

ravenn4544 wrote:Alordan studies the area for any additional signs of footprints or the impression that some have been wiped away. "I don't recall them mentioning anything about setting up a marker such as this. Is this a trap to force into this part of the jungle? I don't like it..."
Avaala the Grey

Avaala shrugs."The one who did the leaving behind was also the one who was unconscious. The monk said he was knocked out before the fight was over. So while they did not say they left a marker, the one who would have left a marker didn't say anything at all."
"There is no spoon."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala the Grey

"Monocar, please be careful with that ax." says Avaala."I have betting money that says that is the Halfling we're looking for."

Whether the log burst apart on falling or not...

Avaala moves over to the log and begins to pull away pieces and uncover whatever is under the cloak. "Hey, are you awake? Alive, I hope."
"There is no spoon."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Nods. "I'll just split it if i have to to get it started. Whatever's in there looks like it is stuck about three feet in... I just hope it isn't a giant bug larva that farts fire or something..."

Return to “Completed Missions”