Quest #6.5 "Escaping Camp Water Fall"

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #6.5 "Escaping Camp Water Fall"

#81 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

She nudges Wes a bit. "Looks like a plant. I killed my last houseplant from overwatering. The one before that was eaten by my pet. I'll let you start negotiations."

Bonnie spins her dagger absentmindedly in her hand and tries to determine what type of skeletons are nearby. She whispers to her bag "Get ready. You may have to eat this thing."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Urson »

Aldo
*snort* Do I look like a gahdamm oliphaunt ta you? If it's a tree, ya burn it down.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

#83 Post by Hotgoblin »

Franny smiles again and shouts over to the Druid. Dont be scared!!! It cant move very fast! As long as you don't get too close, I don't think it can hurt you.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"Thanks Franny! Do you know how it talks? Does it have a mouth, or is it some other way? Have you seen it communicate with anybody or anything else? How about other trees? Have you seen any of those moving about?". Wes gabbles a bunch of questions at the monkey, desperate to get as much information as possible before his spell expires.

"Right then, I'm going to go over and try to talk to it. Anybody want to come with me? Don't worry, I'm sure it's bark is much worse than it's bite". He winks.

Once he has as much information as he can get, Wes starts to move slowly and carefully toward the tree, keeping an eye open on the trees around him for anything lurking in there. Before moving in, he moves a torch to his belt, in the back so as not to be seen by the tree as he approaches. Wes also moves an oil flask to his largest belt pouch.

Wes walks in to about 50 feet away from the tree. "Greetings, Oh Wise One!" he calls. Just to be sure, he repeats his greeting in Old Druidic. He keeps on his toes, ready to run.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Hotgoblin

#85 Post by Hotgoblin »

Franny thinks about the Druid’s last question, she scratches her head and belly and responds...It has a large jagged crack on his trunk that I believe is it’s mouth and I never seen any other of them trees out and about. It’s crotchety, so don’t get close to it!!!. Franny moves out of the branches’ reach.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#86 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Tree Thing
Sunday, 28th of Reaping
Late Afternoon, Hot, Humid

Being the groups druid, Wes takes the lead towards the tree. The half chained party clangs their way into the jungle forest armed with sticks, rocks, a dagger, and one unlit torch. Getting the last little bit of information that he can from his spell, Wes creeps up to about 50 feet away from the huge, 30 foot tall tree. He sees now that there is indeed one dark-skinned native wrapped up in its branches. The poor man looks to be quite dead, with thin tendrils wrapped all around his body to hold him in place. There are also 3 dried husks of varying sizes, one human sized and the others a bit smaller. He notices a few skeletons of animals stuck within its many branches as well.

After Wes addresses the creature, he sees a few of its branches start swaying and jostling. Long, thin, vine-like appendages drop down from the higher branches and start to sway in the soft breeze. Listening carefully for a reply, all the druid hears in return is a low toned garbled noise that makes absolutely no sense to him whatsoever. The noise is coming from a crack-like maw in its trunk where a mouth might be located. There is something shiny on the back side of the trunk that periodically glints in the last few rays of waning sunshine that penetrate the thick jungle canopy here.

The huge tree seems to turn towards Wes and ever so slowly, it starts shambling in his direction. Its roots seem to be acting like writhing tentacles that pull it along the jungle floor. The whole scene is a marvel to watch, except for the dead body and all.

Actions?

Waesfaren Rhey D2 14/16 2/4 first 3/3 second
Franny Monkeyslammer 12/12
Ferris 7/7 DM, RM, 1/1 first
Krystal 5/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Keilif C2 15/15 4/4 first
Bonnie T2 9/9
Brufrig Granitesunder F2 13/15

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

Appropriately awed by the power of nature, Bonnie stands dumbfounded for a moment. "Franny Monkey said there was a sword stuck in its back, right?" she suggests "Maybe it's just asking for someone to pull it out."

Bonnie will skirt around the tree, trying to get behind and see the shiny object.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#88 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

Walking, talking trees. Reason number 217 to stay away from forests, grumbles the dwarf, wishing he had his axe. Be careful, Bonnie. No telling what a tree is thinking- by the gods, that sounds ridiculous! He shakes his head, amazed at the absurdity of the situation they find themselves in.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

The druid studies the tree for a few moments, then as it moves forward, begins to retreat, avoiding tripping over tree roots and stumps. He had thought the tree to be some kind of treant, evil or otherwise, that might be bargained or reasoned with. But it's appearance and movement reminds him of something his old mentor had taught him about.

"Have a care Bonnie!" Wes calls out. "Don't go close too it! It's not what I thought!"

"It's a hunter." he explains to those around him. "Some folks call it a Hanging Tree. Look at all those bones. If we get too close to it, it'll be eatin' us!"

He takes out his oil flask. "Quick! Get ready to burn it! Whoever has a tinderbox, get a flame started!"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Urson »

Aldo
Din't I tell ya? Burn da thing!

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#91 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

Hearing the druid's instructions, the dwarf frantically removes his backpack, searching for his flint and steel. Somebody grab a torch!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie
Near Camp Waterfall, tree hugging

Bonnie takes note of the warnings and makes sure to stay well away from the vines and branches of the walking tree. She tries one last gasp at communication.
"How can we help you?" She asks in common and elven.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#93 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Tree Thing
Sunday, 28th of Reaping
Late Afternoon, Hot, Humid

The odd looking tree thing continues slooooowly shambling towards the group. At the rate it is currently moving, it should be close enough to strike out at one of you in about an hour.

As the party of panicked prisoners ready their fire making equipment, Bonnie takes a more civilized approach. She seems certain that, if Snake-eye simply wanted this thing dead, it already would be. She casually asks the tree if she can be of some service. To which it again replies incoherently in more deep toned garbled grumbling. It does stop once the elven language is spoken, but it doesn't seem to be able to reply with anything comprehendible. The 30 foot tall arboreal monster then halts its already painfully slow approach and starts to turn its trunk in the direction of the lone she elf.

Actions?

Waesfaren Rhey D2 14/16 2/4 first 3/3 second
Ferris 7/7 DM, RM, 1/1 first
Krystal 5/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Keilif C2 15/15 4/4 first
Bonnie T2 9/9
Brufrig Granitesunder F2 13/15
Franny Monkeyslammer 12/12

Hotgoblin

#94 Post by Hotgoblin »

Franny climbs up into the branches of a nearby tree as she watches the grumpy old tree coming towards them. She yanks a bunch of bananas off one of the limbs and holds onto them.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

Excited at the reaction she got, Bonnie continues conversing in two languages. "I think you can understand me. Let me help you."
Keeping her eyes on the tree and its vines, she calls to the others. "You see that? I think we have a chance to communicate with it!" Bonnie tries to determine what the shiny thing is while continuing the conversation.
"What others means do we have to understand it?"
To the tree: "Please move your vines away so I can see that thing stuck in you."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Urson »

Aldo
Shure, dat's de ticket. Lemme look at dat ting stunk in yer ass- I promise not ta shove a shiv in yas. *raucous laughter*

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#97 Post by OGRE MAGE »

With the utmost of caution in her voice, Krystal reluctantly speaks up.

"I think I could understand it better, for a short time anyway. Though I would have to actually touch it first. And since Ferris and I are still chained together, that means he would have to be very close to it as well."

The elf looks around at each of the party members before continuing.

"If I do decide to get close enough to touch it, I think I would want a rope or something around us first. Just in case it tries to grab at us. If it does, the rest of you can pull us away from it."

"What were we supposed to ask it, again. I don't even remember what the heck we are doing out here anymore."

Ferris seems a bit hesitant to agree to these terms.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#98 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Keilif

"The slaving bastards want us to recruit it to work for their cause, right? Isn't that what we are really doing out here?"

The wrinkled priest throws up his hands in disgust at the entire proceedings, wishing the party never barged into this damn camp in the first place.

"Look at that poor soul up there stuck in its branches. That was probably someone's father or husband. Are we really going to keep helping these criminals out? I thought we were going to try to escape and get the heck out of here?"

"It is pretty obvious to me that we are in over our heads with these people. And, it doesn't look like any help is coming our way anytime soon. So, I am all ears if one of you has a good idea as to how we get out of this mess."

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"I'm inclined to agree with Keilif. It might help us, but if you go close enough to be grabbed, how do we get you away? Rope? Do you really want to be in a tug 'o war if it has you around the neck?"

"We can't harm it except with Bonnie's dagger. Or oil and flame. I don't want to do that unless it has one of us. And if it has one of us, they are as likely to get burned up too"

As he talks of weapons, Wes takes a look around for a fallen branch to use as a sturdy club.

"I have no magic to talk to it or harm it. If anybody wants to go close to it, our odds are poor of saving you if it attacks. Unless you see an obvious benefit, I would avoid it, and say we should get out of here".

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie
Near Camp Waterfall, still tree hugging

She can't help but smile at the laughter of Aldo. "Don't laugh at me." She says with amusement. "I'm trying to gain some trust here."

"Excuse us a moment, will you?" She addresses the tree and then the others. "Let's take this one step at a time, right? They have things we want or need back at camp. They force us to try to communicate with this tree. Doing so may get us what we want and out of this mess." Bonnie keeps her eyes on the tree as she continues.

"We talk of weapons. Does anyone really want to hike back to town, probably through the jungle, without weapons? Our weapons are back in that camp. If we are able to prove capable, there is a better chance of being seen as assets rather than liabilities. Besides...it looks like a weapon is right there, just out of reach."

Bonnie shrugs. "I'd rather take my chances with murderous slaver pirates than that jungle unarmed and partially shackled." She looks at Krystal and Ferris. "It's your call. All we need to do is find out if it can be talked to. No more, no less. We can spread out and divide its attention."

Return to “Completed Missions”