Quest #6.5 "Escaping Camp Water Fall"

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #6.5 "Escaping Camp Water Fall"

#41 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Before proceeding to the treeline, Wes asks the others to pause for a moment. He takes a long look around to see if there are any smugglers, ogres or any other potential hostiles observing them. (If so, he won't proceed with the next part of his action.) He's assuming that being 3 miles or so from camp should be far enough to be unobserved. Just in case, he shuffles around a bit so that the line of the party is covering his actions.
Once he's sure he's not being observed, Wes reaches down and starts removing all the crap he's packed into his boots. Holy symbol and tinderbox will go back into his pouches, as will what's left of the candles. Then he'll start to pick out all the twigs and bits of charcoal. Once he has enough space, he'll lever off his boots and pour out the rest of the dirt. Finally,
boots off, he'll squeeze his feet out of the now slightly larger gap in the manacles.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

"You see that too, right? That monkey looks like it's signaling us from the trees? Wes? You hear me?" She turns to look at Wes and sees him removing all manner of debris from his boots. "Umm. That must have sucked to walk in. But nice plan."

She lowers her voice so that only Ferris and Krystal are able to hear her:
"I've been thinking about what you said earlier about this place. It looks to be quite profitable. Maybe we can figure out a way to get some of the action. When I was talking to Snake-Eye, he did indicate there was a need for more hired help. Perhaps we play along, generate some trust, and position ourselves as the next foremen?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Urson »

Aldo
Dat's my girl! Better de guy what holds da club den se one what's gettin' clubbed, huh?
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#44 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

Making sure that nobody from the camp can see him, Brufrig attempts to break the chains he is shackled in.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes
Wes rubs his ankles and looks at Bonnie. "Yes, that hurt a lot. But probably not much more than the damn manacles would have done. I'm sorry I couldn't have tipped you all off about it, but I really only had the idea as Snake Eye walked up. If we had all started packing our boots, he would have seen us".

He follows Bonnie's directions. "Oh yes, it definitely seems to be a monkey. Very interesting. Lets hope he stays there,
I'll try and talk to him when we get closer. In fact I'm glad to see him, that was going to be part of my..."

"Oh well done Brufrig! That was the other part of my plan!"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Spearmint »

Krystal

listens attentively to the suggestions and goes ahead with the exploration.

The monkey is deliberately attracting our attention? Krystal shuffles in her chains and holds out an arm to it.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

The druid puts his boots back on and scans the treeline for any further monkey activity. Are there any more monkeys to be seen? Is there anything specific or obvious about the gestures? He also takes a look around for any club-sized lumps of wood that can be used as a weapon.

Then he waits to see if anybody else gets out of their chains.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#48 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Long Hike
Sunday, 28th of Reaping
Late Afternoon, Hot, Humid

After an extremely difficult 2.5 mile trek with his boots filled with handfuls of debris, the druid can take no more. He stops the group once safely out of the sight of their captors to try to escape his bonds. As he removes the now rather stinking, miscellaneous packing around his ankles, he finds that his lower legs have both been rubbed completely raw from the excruciating friction he had to endure with each of the thousands of steps it took them to get this far. Looking around to make sure that nobody is watching, he sits down to try to get the now slightly loose shackles off of his ankles. After more intense pulling and scraping away of his already torn skin, he is finally able to completely free himself from both shackles. 2 dam (1 per leg)

The roughneck dwarf takes a slightly less painful approach to escaping his shackles. He simply bends over to inspect them while Wes moans in pain. The immensely strong Brufrig notices a slight flaw in the first link holding the thick chains to one of his wide shackles. Using his great strength, he is somehow able to simply twist the link with his bare hands until there is enough room to slip the chain out and away from the shackles. With little more effort than that, the dwarf is able to get one of his legs free of the chains, though the thick iron shackle is till clamped tightly around his lower leg.

Krystal motions to the excited monkey, but it doesn't leave the opening in the treeline.

Wes spots no other monkeys nearby and finds that he will have to wait to get closer to the trees before he can search for a club.

Bonnie stares back towards the camp at the waterfall, shading the sun with her hand. She mumbles something that only those closest to her can hear.

Actions?

Ferris 7/7 DM, RM, 1/1 first
Krystal 5/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Keilif C2 15/15 4/4 first
Bonnie T2 9/9
Brufrig Granitesunder F2 13/15
Waesfaren Rhey D2 14/16 3/4 first 3/3 second
Aldo (Deceased But Still Chatting Away From Inside Bonnie's Stinky Bag, But Only In Bonnie's Mind)

alone in the dark jungle?:
Franny Buurlslammer 12/12 (private thread)

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

"Well done, well done." Bonnie applauds the efforts of the escapees. "Now that the weight of your restraints have been lifted, let's talk."

"It seems to me like this is or was a test. They have to have assumed that we could break free from the chains. I don't think we have been followed, either." Bonnie muses for a bit. "I think this was done to see what we would do. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was no such tree. Disappointed, yes. Surprised, no."

"Before we enter the treeline, let us discuss the next steps. Thoughts?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Urson »

Aldo
Foist, we bag ass outta here. Den, we comes back wit a few more hitters, kill all dose azclowns, an' take ova de op'ration. I'm bettin' de Cap'n won't care whose in charge, long as he keeps gettin' dat Evony Gold ta sell.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

“A test? Quite possibly,” says Wes. “but to test what? Our loyalty? For a start, we never gave him our word about anything.”

“If they assumed we would escape our chains they obviously overestimated us. Only two out of six of us have”.

“If they are testing if we are willing to do their dirty work or die, then think on this.” Wes pauses for a moment.
“It’s not ‘work or die’, it’s ‘work and die’. According to Bonnie, Snake Eye killed one of his own men in front of her and had another one beaten. Do you think he'd treat us any better?”

“And for all of you standing there in chains, did you happen to notice who else is in chains around here? Those slaves back there. Do you think those chains come off once they are on? What makes you think it will be any different for you?”

Scott308

#52 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

Having removed the chain from one leg, the dwarf attempts to free his other leg. Who wants to be freed next?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#53 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Keilif

"A test? This whole thing is stupid! We shouldn't be worried about some talking tree anyway. Not with these poor people being enslaved all around us. That is what we should be focused on. Not some dumb test, or tree."

When he sees the brute strength of Brufrig somehow bust out of his chains, the wrinkled cleric smiles at his earlier nemesis.

"You can free me next if you want to!"

Scott308

#54 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

The dwarf will attempt to break the chain between Keilif and Krystal, near the shackle on Keilif's ankle.
He will then try to remove the chain that had been between himself and the priest. Looks like yer gonna have to drag that along for now. Iron must have been forged better than the other lengths.
After that, he will attempt to remove the chain by Bonnie's ankle, freeing her.
Finally, he will attempt to break the chain between Ferris and Krystal nearest to the shackle on Krystal.
As I see it, currently Wes has no shackles on and is free. Brufrig has two shackles on, Bonnie has one, but neither of them have chains attached and are free. Keilif has chain attached to one shackle but the other is clear, so he is free, but dragging around a length of chain from one ankle. Ferris and Krystal are still shackled together, each also having a length of chain attached to their other shackle. I don't know if I can try doing any more to separate Ferris and Krystal, as the PHB says that if you fail, you can never try again, but Brufrig would try to break the chain next to Ferris' shackle in order to separate them if he can try again, since that would be different links of chain, although I can easily see calling it one chain and only allowing one attempt. He still needs to try removing the chain from Ferris' and Crystal's other shackles, but would have stopped to take a quick breather at this point.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

The half-elf looks at Brufrig in amazement. "Well, I suppose we have passed that part of the test after all!" He laughs.

"Patience, Brother Keilif. I don't think anybody here objects to freeing those folk. But we have other obstacles to overcome right now before we can do that. We have almost no weapons for a start."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

She looks at Brufig with new eyes. "Thank you. That was impressive." She looks down at the remaining chains, and tries her luck. BB(7%):[1d100] = 75

Straining at the chain, she predictably fails. "Score one for Dwarves."

"I agree with Wes. I, for one, have some things back at the camp I need back. Granted that we haven't been back to beachtown recently, but I don't think an armorer has set up shop." She addresses the group "I think the best way for us to achieve our goals is to play along with them, and possibly insert ourselves into their gang." Bonnie holds up a hand to stave off any objections. "As distasteful as it may be, I've found that sometimes the ends justifies the means."

I really wanted that check to succeed. :D

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Wes tries to break the chain between Krystal and Ferris. Though he's hardened by years of living in the forest and working on his father's farm, he's not physically very strong.

Bend Bars/Lift Gates: 1% [1d100] = 63

And, alas, it shows.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#58 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Long Hike
Sunday, 28th of Reaping
Late Afternoon, Hot, Humid

Brifrig takes out more of his pent up frustrations on the chains, tearing into the defective metal on the shackles as if it were merely tissue paper. With brute force, he breaks both of the chains attached to his shackles, leaving him completely free of the chain gang. He then moves to break the others free of their chains. He gets one of Bonnies feet free and also one of Keilifs, but he isn't able to break both of their bonds as he did for himself. He has yet to try freeing Ferris and Krystal, giving his sore hands a bit of a rest first. The point may already be moot, but I will only allow one attempt per bound foot.

Thinking that it is what Snake-Eye wants in the first place, Bonnie suggests that the whole group simply bite the arrow for now and join up with the slave using smugglers.

Wes and Bonnie make an attempt at the chain snapping as well, since it looked so easy to do for the dwarf. They fail miserably and are unable to assist in the escape.

Wes reminds the annoyed Keilif that the group is without weapons and still very much at the mercy of their captors. The white faced, sour smelling cleric calms slightly, but his hatred for the smugglers and how they are treating his new friends is palpable.

"It doesn't seem like they even care if we make it out here or not. They didn't send anyone along to watch us. They must know that some of us still have power, even though we don't have our weapons. They probably think that we are too afraid to escape. Or, maybe snake puke is just toying with us? Maybe he doesn't have the balls to kill us outright and is waiting for nature to take its course, or, for the captain to return to do his own dirty work? I don't trust any of these a-holes!"

The excited monkey continues jumping around and waving its spindly arms at you from the opening in the tree line, still some 100 yards away or so.

Actions?

Ferris 7/7 DM, RM, 1/1 first
Krystal 5/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Keilif C2 15/15 4/4 first
Bonnie T2 9/9
Brufrig Granitesunder F2 13/15
Waesfaren Rhey D2 14/16 3/4 first 3/3 second
Aldo (Deceased But Still Chatting Away From Inside Bonnie's Stinky Bag, But Only In Bonnie's Mind)

alone in the dark jungle?:
Franny Buurlslammer 12/12 (private thread)

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"Right, I don't know if anybody else wants to have a go at separating Ferris and Krystal, but once that's done, I'm off to go and have a chat with that monkey over there. He's obviously got something he wants to tell us".

Scott308

#60 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

The burly dwarf attempts to find a weak link in the chain near Ferris' foot to separate him from Krystal, but even with his immense strength, he is unable to break the chain. Sorry guys, looks like you're stuck together until we can figure something else out. He'll grab the length of chain with the shackle Wes slipped out of to use as a makeshift weapon. Look around for any branches or rocks you can use to defend yourselves with. It won't be as good as sharpened steel, but it'll be damned sure better than nothing if you have a need for it.

Looking up the trail to where the monkey is gesticulating wildly, he asks, Now what the hell do ya think he wants?

Return to “Completed Missions”