OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Quest #11 "Raythan Wants To Make Amends"

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sunday, The 28th of Reaping
Raythan and Jaxsen Set Out Into The Dark Jungle
Noon, Sunny, Hot, Humid, Buggy

Raythan is ready to depart once Jaxsen finds his way back to his log home. The half-elf seems even more somber now, thinking that his greed in wanting his own home has not only hurt the treefolk, but it has endangered his friend Owen as well. And now, he is asking another person to put themselves in harms way, just for his desire to live in something better than a wooden shack.

"Are you completely certain that you want to take on this endeavor with me, friend? It might be dangerous......and even deadly out there in the wild. I have no doubts in our collective skills, but I hear that most of the missing adventurers around here have set out in small groups. That doesn't bode well for our start, but I feel that I must make amends to the Phanatons for unintentionally disturbing their aerial homes."

"I have gained as much information from their chieftain that I could with his limited ability to communicate. He says that we need to search to the northeast. We will know the clearing he speaks of when we find it. It is there that we must seek out the dreaded porcupine people, as he calls them."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Quest #11 "Raythan Wants To Makes Amends"

#2 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

"Oh yes. I want to go. I have seen the high reaches of the Phanaton's home. An alliance with them would certainly help our hive. And...." the monk continues cautiously. "If these vegetable monsters are threatening the Phanatons now, how long will it be before they threaten OUR hive?"

Jaxsen stands and tightens the belts for his equipment.

"Before we go, I would like to show you something."

Jax kneels and begins drawing in the sand. "When I climbed to the roof of the jungle, I made sure to have a look around. Here is what I could see from up there." He shares everything he saw from the canopy top with Raythan. All the features, clearings, waterways, etc. "I don't know how much of this you already know, but if there is anything new, it's something you don't have to discover on your own."

Jax also makes sure to tell him about the black cliffs opposite the mouth of the river.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Raythan nods solemnly.

"That is helpful. It never hurts to discuss such matters, though I have been to the canopy myself, many times, to speak with the tree folk. They pointed the general location out to me from their birds eye view."

"If you are ready to go, we should be off. It won't be easy hacking through the bush, so it might take a while to find this sacred clearing. Are you prepared to spend some time roughing it out there? I propose that we take the loggers trail to the north and cut east into the bush. That should save us a few hours of hacking. Though I still can't say that we will be back here before nightfall."

The half-elf hoists his pack, ready to lead the way to amazing adventure or certain death.

"We won't be going there now, but what do you make of those ominous black cliffs?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jax raises an eyebrow questioningly before he starts speaking again."If it is just the two of us, with no pack animals, there may be no need to cut a trail. I wear no armor, and you wear studded leather, so we should be able to move among the trees quietly. I know a few tricks for following a straight line, and we can climb up and check our position from time to time. But, I would certainly not presume to tell one of Elvish blood how to be stealthy in a forest."

As they head towards the forest, Jax adds, "As for the black cliffs, I have no real idea. Could they be a band of coal? That's black. Or basalt, maybe? I think that is volcanic, but that's just things I've heard growing up."
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Early AfterNoon, Sunny, Hot, Humid, Buggy

The pair heads north up the wide loggers trail, talking freely as the go.

"I thought it looked volcanic as well. The pitch black color looked quite ominous off in the distance. I wonder if any brave souls have crossed the river there yet for a closer look."

"And yes, I suppose we should be able to get along better through the bush with just the 2 of us traveling. But it will still be thick once we leave this trail and naturally, take more time to traverse."

The noise of the jungle and the swarming of the many insects escalates as soon as the pair leaves the Beachtown area. Fortunately, the sun is high enough to keep their hike well lit while on the wide trail. They walk for over an hour when Raythan starts looking for a game trail or similar passage that is heading in an easterly direction that the pair can take advantage of.

"Be extra cautious now. We don't want to be attacked from behind while we are focusing on finding the path in front of us."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen nods at Raythan's question, and then speaks in a low voice, "I have not been to investigate the cliffs. Marge told me that she knew of no one who had, although one of the ship captains has said they go on for a long way around the island." Jax hesitates a moment, and then continues. "She also said something about a legend of an evil hag or harpy that lives in one of the caves in the cliffs. But I cannot help but wonder... if no one has been up there, who saw the hag?" he finishes with a smile.

Jaxsen follows Raythan into the denser parts of the jungle, moving quietly and spending as much time watching behind them as watching to the front. He trusts the Half-elf to be alert to the front. He keeps his halberd in hand, blade head-level and sideways to the direction he is walking, to keep from catching on as much foliage.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Early AfterNoon, Sunny, Hot, Humid, Buggy

As they make their way into the heavy bush, the pair continues to talk.

"Haha! Yes indeed. I have wondered about things like that myself, many times. It seems that there are rumors to be heard wherever you go. Every quest I have been on has always started out with information based on rumor. It seems to be the norm these days."

After hacking through the underbrush of the dark, bug ridden jungle in a generaly northeastern direction for another hour or so, the two friends stumble their way into a tiny clearing out in the middle of nowhere. The vegetation here has clearly been cut recently and two downed logs are set up like benches that straddle a tiny, burnt out campfire.

There is a small 3' long form tightly wrapped up inside a fur cloak of all things. The form is laying along the back side of one of the logs next to a rather full canvas backpack. The form is unmoving and looks like it has been there for at least a day or two.

Action?

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by SirOwen »

Just for observations sake...
The cut trees. Do they appear to have been cut with normal tools? (Axes, saws, etc.)
The tiny clearing. Most of the trees around here are very tall. Do the cut trees extend out of the clearing and into the jungle? Both ends, or one end in the clearing and extending out? (Sorry, just wondering about the difficulty of getting two trees to fall down roughly parallel in the middle of a jungle.)
"tightly wrapped up inside a fur cloak." Can we see anything to let us know that it is not a small, furry creature, instead? Like boots sticking out or a face under a hood?
Does the small creature seem to be breathing?
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jaxsen takes a closer look around the small clearing before acting.

There are no trees cut down, only the vines, smaller saplings, and other hanging vegetation has been cleared away, likely with a blade. The log benches look like old deadfall that was roughly assembled to form a makeshift camp.

The very bottom of two small, dirty boots stick out of the cloak wrapped bundle. The forms head is completely covered. It's breath is only noticeable under close and direct observation.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

"It's past midday," observes Jax. "I think I should make sure they're not in distress."

Jax approaches the small, bundled up person carefully. He shakes the small bundle where he thinks the shoulders should be, gently, but insistently. "Are you OK? Do you need help?"
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Raythan keeps his eyes peeled for an ambush as Jaxsen approaches the solo bundle on the jungle floor. He sees that a layer of fronds have been arranged under the form to keep it off the moist ground.

When the monk shakes what he thinks might be a shoulder, he feels a slight movement from the creature and a low moaning noise rises up from the tightly wrapped bundle.

Raythan's eyes widen.

"What could survive like this out here in the bugs and other fauna? Be careful, Jaxsen. Whatever this thing is, it could be dangerous!"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

"Perhaps," answers Jaxsen. Raythan can see the young monk change his stance, ready to leap back away from the creature if necessary. He reaches down, and carefully uncovers the head of the small being. "Are you in distress? Do you need aid?"
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Raythan pokes around at the dark boots of the prone creature, astonished to find that there are actually no boots there at all. Only extremely rough, filthy black feet poke out from the bottom of the cloak, matted, dirty hair grows from their tops.

Jaxsen flicks the edge of the cloak from around the figures head to reveal another astonishing sight. Wrapped up in the cloak is an unconscious, filthy looking halfling, whose skin is so badly bitten and eaten by the insects that the shireling is barely able to draw breath. The prone form of the tiny, 3 foot being continues to moan incoherently as he is slowly unwrapped.

Actions?

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jax quickly uncovers the rest of the Halfling's head and tries to waken him enough to give some water. "Raythan, I think he's in bad shape. He tried to escape the Children only to suffocate himself. Too much heat, too many bites and too little water. Can you help him?" Jax waves off any insects that try to continue feeding on the small wanderer. "You've eaten enough of this one," he says. "Let him live."
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jaxsen does not slap or swat away the insects, instead waving or blowing them from the unconscious halflings face and other exposed skin. It is as if he doesn't want to hurt or kill any of the nearly infinite bugs, who are just doing what bugs do, after all. Before long, the insects have mostly buzzed off, leaving the pair of adventurers unsure what to do with the poor, badly bitten hobbit.

Raythan sets down his staff and prepares to cast a spell. "I doubt that this halfling was out here alone. There are 2 downed logs dragged into this campsite, which might indicate that there are others around as well. To wander out here alone would be akin to suicide."

Laying his hands on the diminutive wanderer, the half-elf continues to make observations. "I don't see any wounds on him, but I have a hard time believing that the insects alone could have brought him to this miserable state. If there are no other hidden maladies, and he only suffers from exhaustion, exposure, and insect bites, my regenerative prayers should bring him back around fairly quickly."

The concerned spell-caster looks around the clearing, almost certain that there must be others around. He sees nothing but more of the untamed jungle closing in on the small clearing.

"Should I try to heal him back to consciousness with the blessings of Celestian? If so, I suggest you prepare for any possible surprises........just in case."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

"Yes," says Jaxsen. "Please heal him."

Jaxsen looks around briefly and adds, "Besides, if he has friends in the vicinity and they come upon us while we are taking care of their friend, I cannot imagine a better introduction."

The young Monk does take Raythan's advice, however. As the Half-Elf begins casting his healing magic, Jaxsen take a hard grip on the furs wrapping the Halfling, to keep his hands and arms still. As the Cleric said... "Just in case."
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jax flexes his muscles a little and holds the tiny halfling down tightly as Raythan performs his healing prayer. Once completed, the bites and wounds on the halfling's face and skin begin to magically disappear.

He opens his eyes slowly and tries to take in a full breath, causing him to cough out all of the insects that had already found their way inside the hobbits mouth, nose, and throat.

After a brief coughing and wheezing spell, the halfling opens his eyes to meet his 2 saviors. He seems a bit confused initially, as if he has no idea where or even who he is. He shakes out the cobwebs from his pounding head, trying to move his dried lips and badly parched throat so he can say something clever.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen stares for just a moment, never having seen the Children attack like this. He then releases the tight grip on the blanket and offers the Halfling a drink of water. "Slowly. Too fast and you'll sick it back up," he says. "I'm Jaxsen. I think my friend here has fixed the worst of your problems."

He gives the Halfling time to clear his mouth and throat and wet them down before speaking again. "I am curious. How did you come to be out here all alone?"
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Raythan smiles when he sees the halfling recover from his aid.

"You are safe now, little one. Are there others out here with you that might need our help as well?"
Welcome, Storm! I mean, Storm. :D

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Storm11 »

The Halfling blinks and squints up at his rescuers. He guzzles as much of the water as he is able and straightens out his green stained robes and dirty cloak.

With a puzzled look over his face he tries to think back. ”I .... I can’t quite remember. Where is Harold? Have you seen him?”

He tries his arms to suggest the two men help him To his feet. Once on his hairy toes the Halfling checks over his possessions. ”Do I have any weapons? My shield?”
Greys Campaign.

Return to “Completed Missions”