Quest #11 "Raythan Wants To Make Amends"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Quest #11 "Raythan Wants To Make Amends"

#101 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

"I can only reassure you that I sent help immediately," says Jax. "As soon as I saw that he was not with us, I gave them very specific directions, and got them to depart immediately. If he can be saved, then we gave him his best chance."
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#102 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Raythan calms slightly at the words of the others.

"I placed Storm in a hollow log at the edge of the trail. I hope he is still okay, but I fear the worst."

"I know they all mean well, but I have been concerned about that Monocar fellow since we arrived here. He seems as nice as can be, but I don't believe he always thinks things through very well before acting. I am just afraid he will use the log for target practice or something, always swinging that ax of his around like a crazy wood cutter."

"I left an arrow made of sticks pointing to the log, but if anything smart or hungry enough gets there before the group does, my arrow may just point out the halflings demise."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#103 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

"Truthfully, Raythan, if your precautions and my directions don't save him, there is nothing more we can do." Jaxsen pauses and then continues, "And the two of us are still in too bad a condition to go back out yet. We need rest and more healing."

The monk finds himself unable to take his own advice, though. As Raythan lays down to rest, Jaxsen begins to finish some of the interior walls and doors of Raythan's house. He does stop in time to get some sleep, however.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#104 Post by OGRE MAGE »

SirOwen wrote:OOC: Does Raythan wake up the following morning?
Yes, he was healed yesterday so he is fully functional today.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#105 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Returned from his dawn ritual of katas and washing in the ocean, Jaxsen stops by the cooking pit and asks if there is enough available for one of the water bearers and the hive healer for a small breakfast. He bows and apologizes for having gotten too wounded to work this morning, but hopes his earlier work and a promise of work to come will suffice.

On his way back to Raythan's house, he asks any passerby if the party returned from seeking the small Druid.

Once he gets back to Raythans, he puts out whatever breakfast he was able to get. He sees Raythan is awake and bows deeply with great respect. "You nearly died bringing me back to the hive," he says. "I shall not forget it." If Raythan looks at all weak, Jaxsen helps him to the table to eat.

While they eat, he tells Raythan any news he gathered about Storm.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#106 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The friendly monk is able to muster up a few dried cakes of hard tack and a bit of fishbone stew for he and Raythan to eat. The cooks just shrug if asked for anything more.

He gets information that the Halfling druid was recovered and is now resting to regain his strength. He is happy to learn that no disasters occurred during his retrieval.

Raythan accepts the help gratefully, almost embarrassed by the unusual pampering.

"I believe that you would have done the same for me, brother Jaxsen. So, please don't mention it again. I felt terrible about leaving the stranger out there, but I felt an obligation to get you home with me first. I am not sure that this Storm would have bothered to help either of us out there, though. He seemed to only be worried about his own well being. That made my decision to save you all the easier, actually. I know I should feel badly about that, especially since it would have been much easier for me to carry the Halfling back instead of you. But, I feel like we have forged an ongoing friendship that I wasn't feeling with the self absorbed druid."

The goodly half-elf seems slightly put off by saying such things.

"Does that make any sense to you?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#107 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen nods. "Of course it makes sense.
You made a hard choice, and did not die from indecision. And your choice was well made. All three of us survived because you didn't hesitate."

Looking down at their breakfast, Jax adds,"It was a very hive-like thing to do, giving us breakfast. We must take thought as to how to find more and better food for all of us, though. I would not see any of us starve."
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#108 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Raythan

"Agreed, friend. After this latest incident with Storm, I feel like I might have pushed myself a little too far. I would be happy to spend some time looking for ways to feed the people here instead of trudging around through this overgrown hunk of rock again. It is more dangerous out in the bush than I thought. Snakes, wild boars, jungle cats, and horrible monsters are everywhere out there. The people here were right to warn us."

As they eat their meager breakfast, the half-elf continues with his thoughts.

"You have said that you understand the insects some, yes? Does it seem right to you that this island should be so overpopulated with them? It doesn't seem natural to me. I mean, it was the insects that almost killed more than one of us now. They are just as bad as the other monsters in my opinion. I am starting to think there may be a reason for it. I know you have an.......affinity for them, so what do you think? Have you ever seen a menace of this proportion anywhere else in your travels?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#109 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen nods at Raythan's comments. "Marge and I were discussing the same thing. She also thinks the Queen's Children are not behaving normally. I want to speak to Storm. A Druid's opinion might be useful." He considers the past 24 hours. "If you prefer, I will speak to him alone."
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#110 Post by OGRE MAGE »

"No, I would like to hear a druids opinion about this as well. We can invite him here to have a meal with us and see if he has any thoughts on this. He was almost dead from their onslaught when we found him, which makes him an authority."

"I will go out after breakfast to see if I can muster up anything for us to dine on later."

"I also need to go back up to the phanaton settlement sometime today. They should be happy to hear that we put an end to their needle shooting nemesis. Would you like to join me for that meeting?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#111 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter
"Very well, then," says Jax. "If you wish to seek our lunch, I will go ask Storm to share it with us. I will tell him of our suspicions, and ask him to consider them before we sit down to eat."

"Yes, I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to see the Phanaton up close again. Thanks."

After the two finish their breakfast, Jax goes to seek out Storm. "Greetings. It brings me happiness to see that all three of us survived. I'm glad my directions were up to the task of finding you."
"There is no spoon."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Storm11 »

Storm slept in, still quite filthy and sore. Finally awake he gingerly gets up and meanders down to the sea to clean himself, completely naked. As the stinging salt runs into his many wounds the Druid cries out in agony, but continues to wash his dirt away none the less.

Ignoring the shocked looks of the townsfolk at his nudeness Storm makes his way back to the hammock he woke up in, and begins to scrub his robes.

Seeing none of his gear with him the Druid is about to leave to find out where it all is when Jaxsen walks in.

The halfling listens to the monk and his eyebrows raise. Well I am sure glad to see you alive and well, and thank you for your part in my rescue. The insects, yes, they are a menace here abouts. It seems very odd indeed and a little out of character. I do have a spell that could potentially communicate with them, and find out what is occurring. I would indeed like to accompany you to the wizard-priests for elevenses. I am famished. slipping his robe on the Druid follows the monk back to Raythans
Greys Campaign.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#113 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter
"Thank you," says Jax. "Although there was no choice that I can see, many would not have been generous at having been left behind. It speaks well of you."

"I'm afraid I do not know more about your possessions. I was not awake either, at the end of the fight. Raythan might know more. He made it to the edge of the jungle before dropping." Jaxsen adds, seeing the Halfling going through what is left of his things.

The monk merely nods at Storm's words about the insects. He decides to wait until Raythan is present as well before adding his own insight into insect behavior.

"Raythan is out looking to procure our next meal," he tells Storm. "I hope he has found something. It can be difficult these days."
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#114 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Raythan welcomes the pair back into his home for a modest lunch of mostly greens and tubers.

"I am glad to see you both on the mend. And I apologize for putting you both in harms way out there."

"Storm, I am sorry but, I had to leave your possessions back on the trail, stashed out in the bush. I will help you retrieve them as soon as you are healthy. And I will offer to you magical healing later today as well, if you will accept the beliefs of Celestian into your life."

"Let's talk of this insect situation as we eat. Then after we can discuss the visit to the treetops."

"So, what do you make of these bugs?"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Storm11 »

Storm in typical halfling fashion, wolfs down his food and looks eagerly around for seconds.

”Well, am not sure what’s happening with these insect swarms to be perfectly truthful, most flies can live for only a month at a time without dying, and I haven’t noticed any large areas around here where dead bodies or excrement is copious enough to warrant such numbers or such aggression. We need a way to concoct some kind of repellant perhaps by using some of the local wild plants within the area. I also have magic that could potentially sense what has them all riled up, though insects haven’t been known to be overly intelligent. No offence,” the small Druid says to the monk.

”I would appreciate the assistance in recovering my gear,
And help possibly, talking to that snake!”
Greys Campaign.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#116 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen smiles. "No offense taken. It is not necessarily intelligence that the Hive Queen values, but hard work and loyalty to one's hive. These are what makes a hive strong." He continues, "So, we are in agreement that there is something unnatural in the numbers and behavior of the Queen's Children on this island? Then whatever is to blame has made an enemy. I will not stand for such an affront to the Queen. So please, what is this spell that might allow you to speak plainly with the Children?"

Jaxsen finishes his lunch and thanks Raythan for it."Have you noticed anything about them beyond what we have seen, Raythan?"
"There is no spoon."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Storm11 »

”I have the power to speak with animals, with the assistance of nature’s might. If it will connect me to the hive mind of the insects I may be able to garner some clue as to what is feeding and driving the voracious little darlins around the island. Perhaps even persuade them to become less interested in Beachtown even. We shall see. I need some time to prepare my magic. Fortunately it’s one of a few spells I can utilise without the focus of my mistletoe charm. the Druid says, before looking to Raythan for any further assistance.

He thanks the half-elf for hiding him also. ”No hard feelings at all. You did as nature intended. You had to save yourself first before you could help others, and you protected everyone as best as you were able. A job well done indeed. The spirits of the land and sky are certainly impressed.
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#118 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Raythan is grateful that there are no hard feelings over his recent actions.

"Thank you, gentlemen. I was worried that you would have hard feelings about me leaving your possessions out there. Anything that I couldn't carry, I stashed and hid. As I said, I would be happy to help you both retrieve your things as soon as you feel up to the task."

"As far as the bugs go, here is what we know so far......"

"They are about as bad as I have ever seen. In numbers that are somewhat unfathomable."

"They are worse after sunset, which isn't all that unusual, I suppose."

"They seem to get worse the further inland we travel, which leads me to believe that if their mystery lies deep within the islands jungle."

"Salves and unguents help slightly, but they don't keep them away completely or permanently."

The half-elf contemplates his words as he speaks, turning ideas over in his mind thoughtfully as he continues.

"I am not sure they are intelligent enough to speak with using druidic magic, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try."

"There has to be some reason for their exaggerated numbers. I know that a lot of the flying insects use pools or ponds of water in their reproductive processes. I had heard talk of grey pits somewhere out in the jungle when I first arrived here, I am wondering if that has anything to do with this situation?"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Storm11 »

The Druid thinks that over for a while before nodding. Yes yes, that would probably do it. I was thinking if we can design a type of hat with some meshing over it that might keep the bugs at bay from ones face and neck at least. Well insects are animals so I think it is worth a try. They might not be able to give us much information though, probably just sensations or emotions, but you never know. I haven’t ever tried it before, so we will have to wait and see. Once I have mediated we could heading out and collect my gear maybe. Then see about contacting these Phanaton, is it? And then tracking the bugs back to their lair?
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#120 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Raythan

"Hmmmmm. Mesh you say? Like a fishermen's net? I don't know if there is anything around here that would have small enough openings in it to keep out the blasted gnats, but you actually might be on to something there. How long will you need for meditation, Storm?"

"Do you have any further thoughts on the matter, Jax? Oh, sorry......may I call you Jax?"

Return to “Completed Missions”