Quest #11 "Raythan Wants To Make Amends"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Quest #11 "Raythan Wants To Makes Amends"

#21 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen looks at Raythan and then shakes his head. "No, we saw no one else."

"I noted your backpack lying at your feet," says the Monk. "But nothing else. But we just found you a few moments ago, and we weren't looking. Perhaps on the other side of the log?" Jax looks around the small camp, looking to see if he can see the Halfling's gear. "Say, it wasn't wrapped up with you, was it?"
"There is no spoon."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Storm11 »

These insects have turned on me, trying to eat me alive from the inside and from the out. Just what was in my cloak. I just don’t seem to be able to remember! Damn it!” the Halfling says frustratedly.

He looks at the other two and a suspicious look comes over him! Who are you, and what are you doing out here? Are you heading for the ruined temple?
Greys Campaign.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

"As I said a moment ago, my name is Jaxsen. And you need not fear our motives, as I know nothing of any ruined temple. We merely saw you lying there, and feared for your well-being."

Jaxsen lets the Halfling consider that, and then adds, "Say, on your expedition, you didn't happen to see any ... vegetable monsters, did you?"
"There is no spoon."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Storm11 »

The Halfling sticks his tongue out of the side of his mouth as he thinks that through.

”Vegetable Monsters, hmmmmm. Nope I don’t believe so. Well at least, I can’t remember any. I do appreciate your administrations.”

He leans over the log indentified and begins searching for any more of his belongings, actively searching high and low and loudly, before looking inside his pack to see what is there.
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#25 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The confused halfling is able to find and retrieve all of his possessions, but searching his memory proves less fruitful.

There is no sign of anyone or anything else in or around the roughly cut clearing.

Raythan speaks. "I'm Raythan. Ruined temple you say? Never heard of that yet. Perhaps your memory will return once you are up-and-at-em again?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Quest #11 "Raythan Wants To Make Amends"

#26 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

"By the way, Master Halfling, what is your name?" Jaxsen looks at the remains of the insect bites on the Halfling and still wonders at the ferocity of the attack. "The Children on this island are quite numerous, but I've not seen them attack anyone so ferociously. What happened?"
"There is no spoon."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Storm11 »

The Halfling shrugs. ”I can but hope it does return. I really can’t quite recall even what my name is. Or why the insects took such a terrible dislike to me. I have an affinity with animals and plants I know that much. And I wear the robes of a Druid of the shirelands. Anything else, well, for now at least it is all lost to me. What are you two out here for?
Greys Campaign.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

"I am sorry so much has befallen you," says Jax. "A moment ago, you asked about... Harold, you said. What can you remember about him? That might be a first step to finding your memories."

"As for us," he continues. "The vegetable monsters we mentioned? They have been attacking and killing friends of our. We want to put a stop to them."
"There is no spoon."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Storm11 »

The Halfling thinks again, trying to wrack his shattered memory. ”Harold, yes. He was our expedition leader I think. Some kind of wizard. He wanted to explore the ruined temple for some reason I just can’t seem to recall. Damn it all to the plane of fire!” he snaps, stamping his dirty hairy foot.

”Well, you seem like nice people, you helped me when you didn’t have to, so if you like I will repay yo by assisting you with these veggie murderers. Perhaps that might jog my memories, you never know. You can call me .....” he thinks for another while, sticking out his tongue once more..... ”Hmmmmmmm, Storm. I have always loved them. Yes, That seems right! For now anyway!”
Greys Campaign.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

"I have no objections to you joining, but Raythan is actually leading this search. I'll defer to him."
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#31 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Rathan

"Storm?"

"Storm........Storm.........Storm it is, then!"
The spllcaster nods as if he accepts this moniker for the shireling. "Of course you can join us, the more the merrier when going into battle with the unknown." He smiles dryly, as usual.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jax watches the surroundings as Storm loads his gear and readies himself. "We've been avoiding cutting a trail, both to keep us quiet and to move a little faster. I guess, as a Druid, you move well through the forest, right?"
"There is no spoon."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Storm11 »

Storm looks blankly at the human man. ”I guess,” he says with a shrug. ”We shall soon see. I have some magic at my command, I can feel it within me, so that might prove helpful. I am ready when you are... I think. Lead on!” the Halfling says with a sigh and a big gulp.
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#34 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Making Amends
Sunday, 28th of Reaping
Somewhere Out In The Jungle (Northeast of Town)
Late Afternoon, Hot, Humid, Buggy

After being graciously healed, the halfling starts to remember everything from his distant past. He still cant come up with why he was out here in the first place, or who he was even with, but some of his recent past memory is also slowly returning. He comments on someone named Harold, and possibly searching for a lost temple, but the puzzle pieces of his most recent memories have yet to be fit together.

The duo of Raythan and Jaxsen suddenly turns into a trio when the diminutive druid decides to tag along with his saviors. The three adventurers continue traveling north through the thick bush, still seeking the clearing that the phanatons told the half-elf about. They travel for some time without seeing anything except more trees, underbrush, and insects. The lightly armored and encumbered travelers find that they can make much better time through the enveloping bush than when they have the burly, heavily armed fighter types along. The only problem......they have no burly fighter types along.

Eventually, the small group walks right into what they believe must be the location they were looking for. A small clearing in the trees suddenly opens up in front of them. This clearing is unlike any they have seen so far. The opening above their heads is an absolute tangle of ropes and vines that crisscross the entire area starting at about 10 feet off of the ground and going almost all the way up to the tree tops. Some of the ropes are simply tied from one tree to another, spanning the entire 30 foot diameter of the open area below. Others look more like horizontal ladders or bridges of some kind. Many vines and shorter ropes hang this way and that, not really serving any purpose that you can see. This area is better lit due to the lack of canopy above and the natural light filtering down through the many strands of rope.

Below the tangle of crisscrossed ropes, the jungle floor looks as normal as any other area out here. There are moss covered deadfall trees and plenty of undergrowth lying around, but the group finds no sign of any huge nasty vegetable monsters that their imaginations had conjured up. The whole area would actually seem peaceful, if it weren't for the unrelenting insects that endlessly fly around your face and heads, buzzing in your ears and flying into the corners of your eyes.

Actions?

Jaxsen Reiter 10/10
Storm Briarfoot 8/8 4/4 first
Raythan Crechan 6/6 1/1 first MU 2/3 first CL

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Do the ropes and vines seem similar to those Jax saw in the upper reaches of the other Phanaton village he saw? And do the follow the same pattern of use?

"Raythan," Jaxsen asks. "Did the Phanatons mention if the vegetable monsters climbed into the trees after them? Or were all the attacks on the ground?"
"There is no spoon."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Storm11 »

Storm looks about suspiciously. ”Did your benefactors describe these veggiemites to you, what they look like? These vines may be them if these .... Phanaton is it, did not. We should be wary, and not stand together. I know magic that could entangle us in these vines, if I know it, chances are someone else does too!”

He moves back from the clearing to keep watch whilst the tallshanks decide what is to be done.
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#37 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jaxsen finds that the vines look very similar to the ones he has seen before, though these look much older and unused. The ropes don't really seem to serve any purpose or actually connect anything other than the surrounding trees.

Raythan stares up at the tree tops for a long time before responding.

"I can see the tattered remains of wooden platforms high up in the trees. Perhaps this was once another of the Phanaton settlements at one time? They said they considered this place sacred, but I didn't think to ask why. I think we need to be respectful here and not disturb anything if we can."

"All they told me about the plant monsters is that they are humanoid in shape, tall, and that they hate elves for some reason. Which means that I will need to be extra cautious here until we can figure out what we are up against. I don't believe they can climb the trees or ropes, otherwise they could harass the treefolk no matter where they went."

The spellcaster starts carefully looking around on the ground directly in front of him at the edge of the clearing. With his foot, he scrapes a bit of the jungle floor away to reveal a few tiny weathered bones that are slightly smaller than halfling size. Scratching his chin, he continues to look around the roughly circular clearing.

"Any ideas on how to locate these plant monsters?"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Storm11 »

Storm gasps abs takes a further step back, shaking his curly mop of heart as he shakes his head to clear it.

”I remembered something. An image really. Of an ancient stone temple, surrounded by jungle. And all around it, bones just like these. Phanaton bones perhaps. This is ill indeed. If the creatures did lair here, it is long abandoned. Perhaps you could climb up and take a peek Jaxsen, monk’s are supposed to be good at that yes?”

To Raythan he merely shrugs. We are the bait aren’t we?
Greys Campaign.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

I'm putting a lot of actions in here. I understand that it is all conditional. If I immediately run into hostiles.... I guess I got ahead of myself. :lol: :oops:

"Yes, I can climb well," says Jax. "I think I will move back from the clearing just a bit, in case it is sacred to the Phanatons."

Jax exits the clearing about ten feet. He looks up into the canopy, planning his ascent before he takes the first step. Once he decides on his route up, he hands his halberd to Raythan. "Would you please hold on to this for me? It has a tendency to caught on things as I climb."

With that, he returns to his starting spot and begins his ascent. Once he reaches the lower edges of the ropes, he tests them, to see if they are as old as he thought. He puts no weight on them, merely twisting them a bit and pulling.

Jax will let the others know what he finds.

As he gets into the levels where the tattered platforms are, he inspects those as well. He doesn't just check their condition, he also looks for signs of violence. He wants to know why they are abandoned.

Again, Jax will tell Raythan and Storm what he finds. He tries to use just the minimum volume of his voice to allow them to hear him.

Finally, Jax climbs the rest of the way up, once again taking advantage of the canopy for its access to cool air and a good view. In particular, he looks for anything that might be an ancient temple. He understands it might be covered in vegetation now, so shapes are as important as material in his search.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#40 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Making Amends
Sunday, 28th of Reaping
Somewhere Out In The Jungle (Northeast of Town)
Late Afternoon, Hot, Humid, Buggy

Raythan raises one eyebrow at the druids comment but does not reply. He and Storm wait on the ground as Jaxsen spends a great deal of time climbing up and weaving in and out of the tangle of ropes at the edge of the clearing. Taking his time so as not to risk falling, he uses his honed senses and skills patiently and effectively.

He learns that the ropes and vines are indeed old and fragile. He doesn't think any of them would hold even his modest weight. Much higher up in the trees, the scarce platforms seem decrepit from natural effects of weather and aging. There is nothing of value left left behind or anything around at all, really. He finds nothing out of place or anything else that piques his interest.

Above the tops of the trees, he feels a nice breezy relief from the usual stifling heat of the jungle. Unfortunately, from this particular vantage point above the thick bush, he sees nothing but more trees in every direction.

Raythan grows impatient and scuffs some more dirt away from the surface of the clearing. This time he reveals an entire skeleton of a 3' tall humanoid under the thick covering of dead leaves and fallen branches.

"I think I have figured out why this place is sacred to them......."

Actions?

Jaxsen Reiter 10/10
Storm Briarfoot 8/8 4/4 first
Raythan Crechan 6/6 1/1 first MU 2/3 first CL

Return to “Completed Missions”