Quest #10 "Beetle Juice?"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #10 "Beetle Juice?"

#121 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Stretcher duty mostly done save for the (slumbering?) Jack, he looks to Saracen. "I really screwed up this time. I almost lost someone else that was under my protection."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger wanders to the Hi-Lo.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Storm11 »

SirOwen wrote:Avaala

"Hey Saracen!" Avaala calls. "I know you didn't heal me for money, but let me make a donation to the church of Pholtus to help care for His clergy here on the island, huh?"

Avaala holds out three gold coins, smiling hopefully.
”You keep your money my good wizard. I may call in a favour at some other point in time if that’s acceptable. Magic spell for magic spell as it were. Yes?” The half-orc grins that gruesome grin and pats the magic-user on the back solidly.
Bluehorse wrote:Monocar

Stretcher duty mostly done save for the (slumbering?) Jack, he looks to Saracen. "I really screwed up this time. I almost lost someone else that was under my protection."
Saracen pats the human man on the back. ”You did admirably out there son of light, everyone made it back, so that’s a success all round. Any day no one dies is a good day. Hopefully at some point we can find you some replacement armour and some weapons you can use and you will feel even more capable. The troll is ok the list next. Get some rest and let’s see how things are in a few days.
Greys Campaign.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Jack limps home and goes to bed. "...good night... see you... tomorrow... for... more... adventuring..."

XP noted. Thanks.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Urson »

Luther
The ranger seeks out his 'adopted son'. I'm sorry you're so beat up, Jack. You did good today. You should be proud. Rest up now. He squeezes the Elf-boy's shoulder in place of a hug, then heads off to find a bucket of water.

He rinses off the day, then examines the bug carcasses, looking for a safe way to extract the acid. He's just looking for the moment, not wanting to risk another 'explosion' in town.

After that, he spends some time in a detailed examination of his ruined sword. Is there enough blade left that it can be salvaged as a machete/brush axe kind of thing? Or does he now have a steel poking stick?
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#127 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Avaala heads over to the Treehouse and sees Monocar not far behind him.

Lightfinger takes a stroll over to the Hi-Lo to see his large friend, who is also a girl. Alordan has had enough for one day and heads directly to his hammock.

Saracen speaks on the lack of monetary treasure around these parts, knowing full well that beetles don't even have pockets. Chauncey seems......... distant. ;)

Getting cleaned up at the community water barrel, a few of the party members notice something strange off in the distance. They watch on as the half-elf Raythan starts climbing the rope that leads up to the monkoons. When he gets to the platform at the top, the rope starts to rise again, not allowing another to jump on from below.

Luther helps put little Jack to bed after a long day. He comforts the wounded lad, happy to see that he should be just fine in due time. The ranger pulls out his favorite broad sword again to check the damage a little closer. The blade is now badly tarnished and he has a hard time even drawing it from the scabbard. The edges are chewed up quite badly and almost completely melted away, leaving only the soft inner steel that will need to be heat treated again and heavily sharpened before using it for any kind of cutting. The ranger is no blacksmith, but he is pretty sure there is enough good metal left in the blade to make a short sword, jungle ax, of even a machete out of it yet, if he only knew the whereabouts of a decent metal worker.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#128 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Luther takes a long look into the ass end of one of the bug carcasses, literally.

Just inside the exit point is a wide inner firing tube. The flesh on the walls of this tube is thick and as hard as shoe leather.

The hard tube continues up the bugs bottom, making it clear that some precise cutting must be done to learn any more about these acid shooting monsters.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey, seemingly coming out of nowhere, appears over Luther’s shoulder as the ranger examines the beetle’s anus. ”Seems like a combination muscular and chemical expulsion system, if you ask me,” he says, squinting thoughtfully at the chute, hands on knees. ”I’ve seen a dissection, not to say vivisection or two, in my studies. Perhaps we could work together to extract the liquid from this thing? I have an idea for making it even more effective in use against the sea troll... but first we’ll need a means of conveyance. For expedience, I’ll check the Hi-Lo for suitable containers. Failing that, Monocar’s idea of clay pots is not without merit...”

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#130 Post by OGRE MAGE »

After some more VERY careful slicing, the mage is able to cut away both of the stomach-like sacks that contain the 2 liquid reagents which make up the deadly acidic vapor. It is easy enough to tie off the cord-like openings in the sacks to prevent the liquids from leaking out.

Chauncey accidentally slices into the second last sack that he tries to retrieve, allowing most of the stinking ooze to dribble out of the organ into the body cavity of the giant insect. Fortunately, this liquid alone isn't as deadly as the mixture, and its spill causes no detrimental effects to the mage or the ranger. Unable to collect it again before it soaks into the rest of the gore, the mage is content with successfully removing 2 of the three sets of acid juice organs.

Now all they need to do is to figure out a safe way to store and distribute the toxic mixture.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#131 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Just then, Avaala stops by with some news.
Avaala says, "I was a bit beat up, but I remember you talking about how to store the acid from the beetles. When we got back, it occurred to me that the bar must have empties. And sure enough, Randall was willing to sell me a dozen fragile glass bottles, as well as a dozen sturdier glazed clay jugs. I think these will hold the acid quite admirably. We just have to get them back to wherever you are conducting your work on the bodies."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey will divide the un-mixed bug liquids between six pairs of glass bottles, carefully squeezing out the foul smelling excretions from the recently liberated glands. "Now, you see, unmixed, they are harmless. We must now only fasten each pair of bottles together with a bit of rattan, fashioning a handle from the same. The bottles will then be quite easily thrown, I should imaging, by a dextrous type, and will shatter together on impact, thereby mixing the chemicals and dousing the unfortunate troll on the receiving end. I will keep these disgusting glands for further study of the residue they contain," he says, carefully tying them off and wrapping them in broad leaves before placing them in his pack. He will then set out to find a villager who can help them with the rattan...ing. ( :? )

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Comes back with Avaala and Chancey carrying as many jars as he can without dropping any. After he sets them down on the sand, he looks over at the opened bug and covers his mouth, turning away. "That thing is even more disgusting inside then out... "

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#134 Post by OGRE MAGE »

While Monocar tries hard not to puke, Chauncey delights in the juicy innards of the horrid insect.

He seems thrilled that the thin glass bottles will work perfectly for their current needs, especially since there appears to be no other choice in the matter. The wizard is highly successful in draining the two separate organs of their fluids, taking care to not mix either of the volatile compounds. He is able to get them poured evenly in the bottles and then starts brainstorming about how to marry the two vessels together.

Monocar almost pukes again once the mage decides to pack away the remains of the organs for later study.

Chauncey cleans up the mess by kicking dirt and leaves over the wet spots on the ground. He then heads over to the communal buildings to ask around for the islands best crochet....er. :D

A few of the fishermen stop by to ask if they can take the rest of the sundered carcass's for bait.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Apologizes profusely every time he has to leave from just being grossed out by it all. He had helped clean deer and pigs from hunting trips before, but something about the inside of a bug... He couldn't even think about it. When the suggestion is made he is quick to volunteer to go hack down some rattan for Chancey.

But before he goes...

"Do we want to set up a... what do the fancy pants people call it? A revenue to go visit the Treefolk? Maybe once we check to see that Jack is okay a few of us could go on a goodwill kind of mission t give them kind of a courtesy visit and let them know what we are up to. I don't want them getting the idea we are abandoning our end of the bargain. Know what I mean? Plus we can check on Owen and see if he needs anything, let everyone know he is okay. Especially Randall. I think he is good people and all, but he does seem like he could be hot-tempered and all. I'd hate to see him get all worked up when there are a few drunks in the room and a horror story unfolds like what Mr. Nehu told me about. Hey... there's an idea. Maybe we should see if Mr. N. wants to join us too, just to show we were not gong-farming him if you know what I mean. Someone like him with a lot of pull could be a good influence on the rest of the settlers here. Maybe we can make some early headway in smoothing things over even before we finish off trolly out there."

Once he makes his case he will find a nearby stand of Rattan and takes a very long careful look to make sure there is no chance of it being part of a Treefolk house or anything else... He will hack down a few sturdy poles and drag them back, ready to cut them to whatever specifications Chancey believes would be.... adequate.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#136 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

Avaaala watches as Chauncey prepares the bottles. When he speaks of rattan weaving to keep the bottles together, Avaala asks, "Just as an afterthought, I wonder if it would be possible to add some weighted strings to the rattan boxes? Something along the lines of a lightweight bolo, to hold it to the target after it hits?" The mage shrugs. "It might keep more of the acid on target."
"There is no spoon."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Avaaala watches as Chauncey prepares the bottles. When he speaks of rattan weaving to keep the bottles together, Avaala asks, "Just as an afterthought, I wonder if it would be possible to add some weighted strings to the rattan boxes? Something along the lines of a lightweight bolo, to hold it to the target after it hits?" The mage shrugs. "It might keep more of the acid on target."
”I propose a simple grenade - but I leave any further alimentation of the design to those with knowledge and skill in the delivery of such projectiles. Are you a skilled boloist? I understand it is a practiced skill. If not, perhaps simplicity is best,” replies Chauncey. ”I will point out that I am not the organizer of this ‘mission,’ if you will, so I do not ask you to follow my suggestions to the letter. You must do as you see fit.”

Return to “Completed Missions”