Quest # 9.5 "Missing Kids?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest # 9.5 "Missing Kids?"

#121 Post by Urson »

Luther

Luther follows the rest of the group, making sure that everyone stays together and keeps heading for town. We gotta keep moving on the plans to kill that troll- but today is NOT that day. Too much 'precious cargo' with us right now.
Kids- can you tell me anything else about the Grey Piper? Did he say anything?

He shrugs off any dirty looks from the kids when he refers to them as 'precious cargo'.

If we can kill one or more of those big bugs- and harvest the bladder they store their acid in- we'll have a hel- err, heck of a tool to fight the troll. Either squeezing the bladder like a bagpipe or toss it on the troll bladder and all.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Even as he finishes his story of three goats outsmarting a bridge troll, he is obviously intent on getting the kids home. He takes out the diminished bundle of sausages from his shirt and shares them with the other two kids not yet fed. which may or may not be the last of them. OM?. H3 mulls over Luthar's words. "Say we get the acid from the beetles... would it be worth it to get some clay jars with stoppers? Make some of those gatorades or whatever? We could throw them right at the big oaf and they would smash and splatter all over him, maybe the clay dhards could bust him up a little too since it'd be like getting hit with a rock. Might be safer for use to carry too in case the bladders are leaky."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan comes around to the idea of the acid crab "Still got these hooks and ropes that might make it easier to catch and hold one of those buggars down to harvest the acid."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#124 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

"I hate to be the one who sounds like a coward about all this," says Avaala. "But I'm going to remind everyone that some of the party we encountered got MELTED during their encounter with this giant bug. I like the idea of using the acid to melt the troll I've been hearing about, but we aren't hearing any plans for getting the acid other than 'Kill It'. We need a bit more than that. I am highly allergic to getting melted."

Avaala rubs Rollo behind the ears again. "And I'm not letting you get melted, either," he adds quietly.
"There is no spoon."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Excellent idea, Monocar. Along the lines of my thinking on this matter," says Chauncey. "Yes, some sort of glass containers would be ideal, we should consult Mr. Nehru... and prepare to spend a small fortune, I should imagine. Avalaa, we can surely make short work of a few bugs - how large could they be? Perhaps we should ask the previous troupe. A few well placed Sleeping enchantments should do the trick. Though perhaps constructing some sort of temporary wooden barriers to shield us while we approach wouldn't be amiss. I propose we prepare this evening, then return to the bug trail tomorrow morning. And who knows? Perhaps we'll get another glimpse of this Grey Man?" He raises his eyebrows and looks in Jack's direction.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:
ChubbyPixie wrote: Chauncey. "I propose we prepare this evening, then return to the bug trail tomorrow morning. And who knows? Perhaps we'll get another glimpse of this Grey Man?" He raises his eyebrows and looks in Jack's direction.
Jack ponders that. Then, in a voice that seems too old for him, the ancient child answers softly: "No. Our big group only saw him because he was busy with three children. We won't see him again. In numbers this large anyway."

When they reach the town, Jack wants to talk to the coconut bearing adventurers.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar
Inferno wrote:Jack, lost boy: ...in a voice that seems too old for him, the ancient child answers softly: "No. Our big group only saw him because he was busy with three children. We won't see him again. In numbers this large anyway."
Grins and elbows Avaala. "See? Amaranth."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger again points to Chauncey.

Yes, yes! He agrees, Sleep charm those toxic vermin, and avoid getting melted. Good plan. He tries to keep the backwatch as possible. Trolls, acid bugs, grey pipers, and zombies make him nervous with evening approaching.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Urson »

Luther

'Course we gotta be careful. A shield is a great idea.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#130 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Walk Home
Waterday, 24th of Reaping
Early Evening, Hot, Muggy, Buggy

The decision is made to return the children to town now, and come back for beetle juice first thing in the morning. With evening starting to set in, the group watches over the young ones rather closely on their return trip, the burly Bear giving piggy back rides for the first half of the walk. The kids remain unified in the fact that the grey man didn't hurt them or say anything at all to them. Quiet discussions are held about harvesting acidic insect fluid to use against the sea troll, Avaala reminds the group that he and Rollo are not fond of being melted down like chunks of fleshy ore.

When the party reaches the area where they found the second pile of coconuts, the kids run up to the spot where they left them at the edge of the jungle. All that is left is 6 round impressions in the sand where the pile once stood. All 12 of these coconuts are missing as well. The kids look frustrated again, not liking the fact that their hard work might have all been in vain.

The grown-ups try to comfort the hungry, thirsty, and dirty children as best they can along the way, especially when they notice their fruits have vanished. Finally, at the site of the first stacked pile, about 1 mile from town, the kids rush up to find only 6 coconuts left. Out of the 3 dozen nuts they collected in all, these 6 are the only ones that remain unmolested. They gather them up quietly, hoping that Jack wasn't lying about the other group and their large sacks.

The long walk concludes with no sightings of dangerous zombies, giant crabs, sea trolls, chatty monkoons, assjuice spraying giant beetles, or little grey minstrels. As the brightly glowing sun begins to sizzle into the warm water far off on the horizon, you enter the west side of the settlement and finally reach the relative safety of Beachtown. Sally and the boys rush their 6 coconuts over and toss them inside of the low fence that surrounds the Treehouse. Once the adults see that they are all three safely back with their families, they can relax and begin planning their next endeavor over a pint of watered down grog if they are so inclined.

Randall looks down from the platform above and waves you all up. He mimics drinking a mug with his empty hand and points at each of you in turn.
"I knew ya wunna let ol' Randall down! Tank ya friens! Now, come on up fi a free drink er two!"

Actions?

It is now early evening. If there are any preparations or discussions you would like to partake in, please do that now. If there is nothing left for you to do this day, please post that you will retire for the night and we can move things along to morning. A small xp reward for finding and saving the kids will be posted soon. Thanks!

Luther 13/13
Jack 10/10 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Monocar 12/12
Lightfinger 10/10
Saracen 12/12 2/3 first
Chauncey 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Avaala 5/5 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Raythan 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first / 3/3 first (cleric)
Alordan 10/10

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen, happy to be rid of the little devils, takes the barkeep up on his offer of free drink. The half-orc will chat about what's been happening in town since they left, and ask if there is any giant crab meat left to eat.

Before bed he will refill his waterskin with a create water spell and settle in for the night in his hammock, after taking off his arrow and cleaning and polishing it, and sharpening his weapons. He will check his two handed sword and other goods are still there and then wash himself down thoroughly. He will refill his skin with a create water spell once again and slip into his hammock, exhausted.
Greys Campaign.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Smiles as the children are reunited with their parents. He just stands there a moment taking in the simple joy of something small being set right in the world. He heaves a satisfied sigh and climbs up to the bar for his free drink or two, settling into a stool beside his orange haired spiritual leader. "Felt good seeing those little rascals back with their families. I'll sleep easy tonight knowing they are safe.
It's a shame about their coconuts being taken by that other group, but maybe it will teach them to be more careful and not wander.
I'd hate to lose our little Ambassadors to the Monkoons. What would happen to Owen if something went wrong there? We have to work out something for taking care of that troll in a hurry for his sake and sew up this alliance with the Monkoons quickly as possible. Maybe they will have a lead on this zombie problem."
Monocar, of course, is speaking just loud enough for everyone to hear him as his voice naturally carries across the bar. As Randell walks over he looks up and smiles at the cup of grog. "Salute, friend!" He takes a drink and grins. He was very happy with himself at the moment. "Say, Randell, how about a bowl of stew? What's the rumor mill got going today? Has anyone heard from the Monkoon Chief about Owen?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#133 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

Avaala talks to Randall for a few moments and collects his coconut oil. He walks by Monocar and says, "I'm going to finish that desk tonight. I'm about broke and that will put me back on a paying basis. I'll see you in the morning, Big Man."

He drops a silver for a bowl of stew, and heads over to the Hi-Lo. (-1 s.p.) He and Rollo finish off the bowl while Avaala rubs the coconut oil into the wood of the desk and drawers and polishes the top. He spends a little more time than actually necessary to get as good a finish as he can.

"Mr. Nehru," he says as he finishes it. "Here is your desk. And I would wager that it is among the finest pieces of furniture within a hundred miles."
"There is no spoon."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan is glad to see the kids reunited with their parents - another glimmer of hope in this inexplicable locale. His thoughts turn to the morrow and what could happen with harvesting acid from a creature that is unwilling to allow it - and the vicious troll needing to be put down.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Urson »

Luther

The ranger takes a mug of watered grog, wincing at the taste. Yeah, we got a lot on our plates right now- maybe we need to talk about priorities and decide what's most feasible. We're still running around "like cave roaches in a bucket," as I heard a dwarf say once.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Once they reach town, Jack yells, "So long, everyone! I had fun! Let's go adventuring again tomorrow!" as he races off to the Treehouse Tavern.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger harrumphs.

Well, if it's for free, it's for me! He announces and stalks to the Treehouse. Once atop the usually talkative Halfling keeps his gaze over the balcony, hoping to catch a glimpse of elusive but familiar faces.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#139 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I almost forgot about the XP for completing this side mission.

Enjoy!
:D

viewtopic.php?f=446&t=6230#p325181

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#140 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Looks like we have a couple more 2nd level characters on the island now. :mrgreen:

Please post your hit die rolls and ask away if you have any questions about leveling up.

Congrats!

Return to “Completed Missions”