Quest #9 "Chauncey's Crab Hunt"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Quest #9 "Chauncey's Crab Hunt"

#101 Post by SirOwen »

Avalaa

"Chauncey, sir, you do not need worry about my ambitions. I am perfectly willing to concede your greatness. All I want is to be a successful, rich, and well-respected wizard. Being the greatest is of lesser concern. Besides, the greatest always attracts the ones desperate to make a name for themselves. But, when they come, blood in their eyes, hands twitching with nasty spells, demanding I point to the most powerful wizard I know, I'll be glad it's not me. Drink?"
"There is no spoon."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey immediately begins worrying about Avalaa's ambitions. "Ahem... let them come, I say. When my plans are fully realized I'll need not fear anyone. Not even... ahem..." he looks pale for a moment as if suddenly remembering something unpleasant. "...no one! You'll be glad to have been my stalwart ally when that day comes. That day when I realize my plan. You can say you were there."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#103 Post by SirOwen »

Avalaa

"Glad to have that out of the way," Avalaa says. He takes another bite of the crab meat, and grins. "I just wish there was some butter."

Swallowing and wiping his chin, Avalaa continues, "I would still like to try to exchange some spells. I happen to have a very powerful Charm spell you might be interested in. The last time I used it, it lasted for months. Absolutely convinces the object that you are their best friend. I would be willing to exchange it for your Sleep charm."

Avalaa reaches down and hands Rollo a piece of the crab meat. "Good boy."

Turning back to Chauncey again."I understand that given your position as top wizard, you might feel it beneath you to exchange enchantments. Do you know of any other mages on the island?"
"There is no spoon."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Sleeping deeply. Not even moving. One would think he was dead if not for thr snoring, although once the heal spell is added, his chest seems to rise and fall a bit easier. Mumbling something incoherent. "uhmmm... muhm... invest in google...." cough! Snort! Zzzzzzzzzzzz...

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

"Stupid Clancy!" Jack grumbles, pouting all the way back to his hammock. He falls asleep immediately and dreams of glorious adventure: fighting a giant crab monster with arrow and sword!
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by ChubbyPixie »

SirOwen wrote:Avalaa

Turning back to Chauncey again."I understand that given your position as top wizard, you might feel it beneath you to exchange enchantments. Do you know of any other mages on the island?"
"Eh... lets not be hasty now." says Chauncey. "Charms a creature for months, you say? I have, as of yet, been unable to acquire the precise written incantation for such a spell. I will agree to your "trade." Perhaps we can enact the transaction tomorrow? Ahem!... there is, in fact, another magic user on the island." he continues, "A certain Krystal? I believe she's off scouting a river with some others at the moment. I will leave it to you to form your own judgement of her character - to me she seems a bit... off. I, quite frankly, don't trust her."

With that, Chauncey will try to heave his crab claw "trophy" back to his shack. It's unmanageable and much heavier than he expected. After pondering the situation for a moment, he goes back to his shack, empties the contents of his pack on his hammock, then returns to the fire pit with his empty backpack. Lining it as carefully as he can with leaves, he will begin pulling meat out of the claw and stuffing it into the backpack until it is full. "This should be sufficient for my purposes.." he says. He will then dig out the rest of the claw meat and deposit it on some palm fronds. "This portion I magnanimously share with the hungry villagers! Please help yourself... Goodness! No shoving, now, please! You're, disheveling my robes! ...ahem! Bon appetit." He excuses himself from the feast, dons the crab pack and totes the now empty claw back to his domicile.

As he departs, he yells back to the cooks. "Try to preserve as much of the shell intact as you can! I still believe it could be fashioned into an armor of sorts for the large... eh... simple fellow, Monocar."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Urson »

Luther

Luther collects whatever entrails he can from the crab, intending to use them as part of the troll bait. He'll then head for bed.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#109 Post by SirOwen »

Avalaa

Speaking to Chauncey, Avalaa says, "I would not have it said of me that I spoke anything but the whole truth in a business matter. The Charm spell is more or less effective based upon the intelligence of the subject. The smarter they are, the sooner they will throw it off. But yes, against a subject not long on wits, it can indeed last months."

"Krystal, you say?" Avalaa asks. "Then I will indeed speak with her when she returns, if she be willing. And I shall judge to see if she is someone I would want to do business with, given that you do not entirely trust her. Tomorrow norning, then? Sleep well, Chauncey."

Avalaa and Rollo walk around the gathering, meeting the locals and the rest of the adventurers alike. He is used to Rollo's size putting some folks off, and he does nothing to make them think he is at all nice, only obedient and powerful. When he and Rollo have had just a bit more feasting, they return to their shack, Avalaa in his hammock and Rollo in his own. As he takes off Rollo's armor, he thinks to himself, 'I helped feed hungry people today. A good start here.' He bars his door, swings the shades closed and sleeps the sleep of the innocent.
"There is no spoon."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger strolls.

His belly full, the Tallfellow again tours the village. Perhaps he'll run into the Grandmotherly Hag, or even an old Magician. Or perhaps he'll return to his hammock after the patrol is complete.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#111 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I will close this thread up now and figure out XP for those involved.

The morning feast and any other town action can be continued here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#112 Post by OGRE MAGE »

And finally.......

Your reward!

viewtopic.php?f=446&t=6230#p320101

Return to “Completed Missions”