B S Here (II)

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: B S Here (II)

#62 Post by Urson »

BlueHorse: stop giving OM ideas, willya?
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#64 Post by OGRE MAGE »

ravenn4544 wrote:OOC: if it makes sense based on the crab planning, Alordan could go with them as the hooks and ropes are in progress.
I assumed that all of the available PC's in town would participate in the crab killing.

Dalor has been in contact with me about being in the middle of a move and not being able to post much yet. I will assume that Sotha is there too and he can jump in and post if/when he gets time.

If there is a PC that doesn't want to contribute in the hunt, that is fine too. Just say as much and I will omit you from the list.

The hooks and ropes will be ready before the sun sets. (if that's what you were asking) :D

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#65 Post by OGRE MAGE »

OGRE MAGE wrote:All you need to do is to find the proper magical inks that will allow you to copy each others spells.

That, and a good working laboratory to do the actual work in. (No, your shacks will not suffice)
It has been brought up to me that this rule interpretation is slightly off. I think I must have been thinking of scroll creation and not the sharing of 1st level spells.

I will look into this a little more and make the proper corrections. Then I will write something up for the House Rules thread to outline it all.

In short, starting spells will likely be able to be shared openly.

Please excuse me for posting my will without actually doing the research. :oops: :lol:

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Storm11 »

Btb spellbook spell scribing follows the same rules as scroll scribing. But you are the DM and we aren't exactly following the rules already so btb doesn't really matter much.

However without access to be able to create the inks for spells the wizards won't be able to get any other spells beyond those they have already, even when they level in the future, which seems a smidge harsh no?
Greys Campaign.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#67 Post by SirOwen »

Storm11 wrote:Btb spellbook spell scribing follows the same rules as scroll scribing. But you are the DM and we aren't exactly following the rules already so btb doesn't really matter much.

However without access to be able to create the inks for spells the wizards won't be able to get any other spells beyond those they have already, even when they level in the future, which seems a smidge harsh no?
Actually, not so much. The section on Spells Beyond Those At Start in the DMG talks about trading spells. The really expensive stuff comes when you:

A) Start writing scrolls. Those have a lot of properties that your spellbook doesn't have, and require those expensive inks and such.

B) Try to write spells into your spellbook beyond the level you can cast. That actually requires a Write spell and can blow up in your face. And this also requires the expensive inks.
"There is no spoon."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Storm11 »

I'm afraid that's not actually true btb. The DMG has this to say about it under the scroll scribing section.
Ink is a very special requirement. Scroll spell ink, just as the ink for detailing spells in spell books, is compounded only by the inscriber from secret and strange ingredients. And also; (In order for a magic-user or illusionist to transcribe a heretofore unknown spell from a scroll to his or her books, a read magic and then a period of time equal to that necessary to place the spell on the scroll are required; this likewise causes the spell to disappear from the scroll.)
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#70 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I don't think we need to debate the fact that there is a LOT of "grey (ink) area" in 1E.

I will come up with something that we can collectively tweak and apply into our house rules. Should be simple. :? :lol:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#72 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Regarding starting spells:
E. Gary Gygax wrote:Superior players will certainly co-operate; thus, spells will in all probability be exchanged between PC magic-users to some extent. No special sanctions need be taken to prevent such exchange, although this co-operation should never be suggested or otherwise encouraged, either. The DM should leave this interaction strictly alone.
I guess one of you will have to do it. :lol:

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Urson »

About the crab- and the disturbed sand; Honestly, crabs are little more than biological machines. I didn't expect it to have enough working brain cells to notice the disturbance. Shows what I know, huh?
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#75 Post by OGRE MAGE »

tkrexx wrote:Lightfinger tugs! [1d20] = 5
Well, that could have gone a little better. :?

At least you can all take solace in the fact that this thing cant kill someone with only one bite.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#76 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Urson wrote:About the crab- and the disturbed sand; Honestly, crabs are little more than biological machines. I didn't expect it to have enough working brain cells to notice the disturbance. Shows what I know, huh?
I would agree completely that crabs are normally unintelligent. This one seems to have a normal eating routine down though, which might indicate at least a tiny semblance of habitual thought processes.

That's why I figured around 50% would be a fair percentage to see if it even noticed.

My comments intention was to remind everyone that there is usually a hint, clue, or tip hidden somewhere in my long, drawn out, hard to read posts. :lol:

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Storm11 »

I think we got it. We just didn't agree :lol:
Greys Campaign.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by ChubbyPixie »

It would have been better if when the crab appeared it was wearing a top hat and little spats and was deeply shocked by the disorder on the beach. Just saying. :)

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Inferno »

ChubbyPixie wrote:It would have been better if when the crab appeared it was wearing a top hat and little spats and was deeply shocked by the disorder on the beach. Just saying. :)
Or he's a grumpy old crab who waddles from the surf in a bathrobe, holding a rolled up newspaper. "Rotten kids! Stop messing up my sand!"

Also: Lightfinger? More like Butterfingers! <rimshot> :lol:

I'm here all week. ;) :) :oops:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Inferno »

OGRE MAGE wrote:This is what we have so far for actions.
...Jack: arrows...
Correct. Thanks.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun