Quest #8 "Bring Me The Sea Monsters Head"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #8 "Bring Me The Sea Monsters Head"

#141 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Wakes confused and with a nasty cough. He feels like his chest is going to split in two with each and every rattling hack. The spells of coughing leave him feeling weak, even after the healing the holy men give him.

He finally pulls himself up to sit on the edge of his cot, holding the helm of the fallen elf. He weeps, hacking, full of guilt. It was his fault. He convinced the elf to stay and fight. He was just as responsible for killing the elf as that monster was. Now he has to live with that sin on his conscious for the rest of his life.

Some time later he stumbles out of the common house. He still clutches the helm to his chest. Stopping often as he hacks and catches his breath. He blacks out more than once, but shrugs off help from passers by. He is intent on finding Luther.

Finally someone directs him to the tree house. He holds up traffic a little as he struggles to pull his bulk up the ladder, but a weezing, coughing man mountain finally gets to the upper deck where hr has to crawl to a nearby chair to pull himself up on shaky legs.

Bad news all around.

System Shock (85) [1d100] = 97

[1d4] = 3

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by ChubbyPixie »

After an uneventful night, Chauncey will rise early, study his magics, then poke around town to see what transpires with the others. After gathering information here and there from the River Monster party and learning of their near death experience, and furthermore gleaning that the beast friar Saracen seems unwilling to go back out immediately after the River Thing, he approaches the half-orc.

"Hello, my dear Saracen. I'm glad to see you weren't drained of your vital fluid, namely blood, like the late Devrin. I feel like I hardly knew the fellow. Well intentioned, I suppose.... Listen, I've been mulling over some things, piecing things together, and have formulated a plan by which we might potentially solve, as it were, more than one bird. That is to say, with a single stone. Killing it outright. The bird."

Pausing, he realizes perhaps he's not being clear. "Not a bird. A crab. A very, very large crab. One that could... feed the entire town?" He gestures meaningfully all around and smiles slyly. "I know where to find it. I know when it comes. Were we to gather a small force of able souls we might take it down this very evening. What do you say? Are you interested? If so, we must gather a few of the others. It will be a task not without danger, but with much reward. I'll be bringing my considerable talent to bear. It's a shame - I hear the large, unintelligent fellow, Monocar, isn't feeling well. He would be perfect for this." Chauncey, eyes Saracen and awaits his response.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen, leaving Monocars's to head off in search of herbs, hails Chauncey and listens carefully to the magi as he describes the prospect of having a really decent meal. The half-orc nods and licks his tusk as the magic-user continues. "I have expended considerable light magic already trying to mend the mountain, but I do have some of Pholtus' blessing available for such an endeavour. However if we get injured I will have to spend the next day's energy healing those injured, which will again put off dealing with the sea troll. However with some good planing we may be able to take it down with magic without anyone getting hurt yes? We should pool our resources and come up with a plan. I do believe I am in!" he says glancing at the light rippling upon the ocean. "What magic do you have at your disposal? I could potentially blind it with the Blinding Light!"
Greys Campaign.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger trails along behind Saracen.

I'm not sure how much use I would be against the monster you describe, but I'd like to accompany you.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by Storm11 »

"Every bit of help could be important my little friend. Do you know anything about setting traps at all?" the half-orc asks patting the halfling on the shoulder
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#146 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Storm11 wrote:Saracen pats the halfling again, and winks at him. "Would you see if you can drum up some others for this crab hunt? Who could say no to you?"
The group begins to assemble and talk over their plans to take down the sea troll. Monocar joins the group, looking very sickly. The large man is definitely feeling the effects of his last few days of near death experiences. He coughs up several gobs of flemmy salt water and green gooey mucus as he listens to his friends discussion with a splitting headache. The huge fighter still seems eager to help, but might need to tone down his penchant for rushing headlong into dangerous situations if he wants to survive very much longer.

The priest of Pholtus tries to heal the ailments of his newest follower, but for some reason, his healing magic does little to help the Mountains ailments. He tries again and after doing very little to help, the cleric starts to wonder if there is more to this man than meets the eye. His magic does bring a hint of color back to the big man, but does little else. I will allow one less day of the -1 penalty per 2 healing spells cast on him. They have to do something for the new follower. :D

The talks of monster hunting continue as Saracen again pushes for the party to be smart and wait until the entire group is ready and willing to go along. They recruit the services of the halfling, Lightfinger who questions his fighting abilities, but could come in handy in other areas.

Chauncey agrees to go along as well, but if the group is content to wait for one more day, the wizard has one other nearby hunt in mind while the group waits. He tells tale of a giant crab that lives very close to Beachtown. Too close for comfort for some.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Urson »

Luther

When the others have gathered, Luther nods. He smiles to see Monocar up and around, but is shaken to see how rough things are for the big hulk.

Yer right, we definitely need to be at full strength before we try our luck with the troll again. I'll be glad to go along and try to bag this giant crab- gotta be easier than the sea troll, right?

I don't wanna side-track this crab hunt- Gods know, we need meat, and a success will make us all feel better. I have some thoughts about the troll, tho- and I want to tell ya'll about them, so we can find the holes in the plan.

Maybe we should start a separate discussion thread...

First thing, get a sturdy post and set it in the beach, 'bout halfway to the waterline. I mean deep, too- five or six feet down, so we're sure it ain't going nowhere. We get a line into the troll, we kin tie it off, so it can't get away. I got a block and tackle too- we can use one of the pulleys to help drag the bitch onshore.
I've started collecting fish blood and such to scent a lure- if this thing is just an animal, it prob'ly won't be smart enough to tell the difference between easy meat and a lure. I've started scenting my spare shirt, so we take a log, put spikes in it porcupine-wise, and wrap the shirt around it. Big ugly grabs it and gets spiked, we haul it in.
If we can make a harpoon, we can spear it- 'specially if I can rig some backward-facing barbs on the shaft so it won't pull out. That'll give us another way to drag the bastard in.
We'll need a decent-sized fire. Once we get the thing close enough to shore, we can shoot burning arrows and beat it with burning branches.
Can't one of you magical types Speak to Animals? Maybe there's some dolphins out there in the bay that we can ask for help- I heard the sailors tell how a dolphin can ram a shark hard enough to kill it, so they can damn well do that troll some dirt.
I s'pose it's less a plan than a collection of tools- but it's a start.

He slaps Chauncey on the shoulder. Now- 'bout this crab... Maybe we can do some scouting right now. Jack, you wanna come with?
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#148 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I will start a new thread for Chauncey's crab hunt. We can discuss the details of that there, while still keeping any comments or suggestions about the troll right here. Thanks!

New thread for crab hunt

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen listens to the rangers words and nods in understanding.

"Trolls are not the sharpest knives in the draw but I don't think they are animals, more like dumb humans or orcs," the holy champion replies, glancing at Monocar sheepishly. "From what we saw they are incredibly strong as well, and they heal at an astounding rate. Perhaps Fire will neuter that ability if Water enables it. We would robsbly need something sturdier than a pole to tie it to, the trunk of a tree perhaps. If we could set up some traps along the beach however we may be able to disable it for a short while. Can anyone use a lasso? I can try and use one to tether it to the tree maybe. I have the ability to blind it with the light of Pholtus, which might make it easier to hit once it's disorientated, and will make us that much easier to be hit by it no doubt. I will ask for a spell that engenders fear in a creature if things go south quickly. Perhaps one of you wizardly types has a spell to shrink it? I wonder if there are any toxins we could use in town that might incapacitate it or kill it outright! I cannot speak with animals, I believe only the Druid has that gift, but I think a sea troll would be too clever for such magics anyway. The spell Jack used on the nonkoons might allow us to know what it says maybe? I wonder if it speaks any other languages? Orchish perhaps."
Greys Campaign.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Taking a ragged breath he finally grunts out a few words. "All we need to do is get it close enough to shore to get a few hooks and line in it. We use the trees for leverage to drag him onto shore and keep ourselves at a safe distance. The more people we have, the more hooks we can put on him and make sure he can't get away. Once we have him where we want him, we can tie them all off and even put more in. Build a bonfire right on top of him if we need to after that..." Hack! Hack! Hack! "We have to make sure he can't move..." He has another long hacking and coughing fit and waves off everyone, unable to speak for the time being.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

As the grownups talk and talk about plans and preparations, Jack can't hold himself up any longer. He collapses to the sand, as if the tedium itself has sapped his strength... his very will to live.

Lying on his back, forearm across his forehead, he closes his eyes and grimaces in agony and boredom at the sky. When will it end?!
Urson wrote:Luther
Now- 'bout this crab... Maybe we can do some scouting right now. Jack, you wanna come with?
"YES!" Jack snaps to his feet, eager to go.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan looks at the sad shape the mighty fighter is in and makes a mental note to continue to extremely cautious on what is proving to be a very dangerous island. "Either troll or crab works for me - we've heard some pretty good plans to take the troll down. What do we know about the crab? How big we talking here? Size of a Monkoon? Size of a house? I'm just worried about jumping into a new noose when we have a perfectly good one hanging along the beach. Using the day to scout that while Monocar heals and we make preparations for the troll could be good."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan seeing no one really prepping for the troll as discussed will take that on - it will be something to deal with in the coming days for sure. He'll gather rope as he can from his own supplies or purchase from the town if that is even possible. He'll inquire as to a blacksmith that can make the larger hooks that will be needed if none are apparent in the town - shouldn't be to hard to turn some iron into a hook with a place to tie on some rope. If they can get the big wet bastard off his feet that just may be the advantage they need...

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#154 Post by SirOwen »

Avalaa

Finishing Rollo's early morning walk, Avalaa returns with him to the shack. He closes the door and pulls the window covers to. He tells Rollo, "Guard." and then breaks out his spellbook and replaces a spell for the one used yesterday. He then takes Rollo's armor off again, scratches him roughly behind the ears and assures him he is a good boy and tells him to stay here. "I'm going to see about getting us a job besides making furniture.... and see about some good table scraps for you. Oh, and if you have to sleep in a hammock, take THAT one. This one's mine." He puts his spellbook away again and heads for the Treehouse.

Once he gets there and climbs up into the bar, he asks around for Chauncey, Lightfinger or Sotha, as these are the only adventuring types he knows so far. He also takes a moment to see if he can discover what happens to the table scraps.
"There is no spoon."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by Urson »

Luther
We would robsbly need something sturdier than a pole to tie it to, the trunk of a tree perhaps.

That's why I said 'post'. If we've got a length of a log, we can make a post nothing could tear loose.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#156 Post by Nuke66 »

Raythan also applies a blessing to the mountain, but apparently he resisting the effects.

[1d8] = 1 CLW monocar

"We need to be fully ready for the sea monster, but crab does sound good."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan will wake up, happy to have the village so satisfied, and gather up his newly minted hooks and ropes and reconvene with the group to discuss plans to take down a sea beast...

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

The somewhat recovered and finally well fed Man-mountain Monocar sets out in his armor again his mind already made up. After lastnight's success, it was time to address the Troll Problem and set a score straight that was burning a hole in his mind for days now. He now carries the elf's longsword and wore his helm even though it didn't exactly fit. He had a look in his eye of one focused on a methodical kind of revenge which a simple mind could work out step by step and see through. Anger, just under the surface, brewed an ability he rarely had to focus on a task and think on it for long hours with singular intent.

He soon came upon Alordan and is thrilled to hear he has been procuring hooks and line for the task."I was worried we wouldn't be able to find these things, this is wonderful! I'm hoping Luthar and the others brought back the ropes and tackle we used in the trap lastnight so that we could reuse it. If not, we will need to get it back. I was hoping to get the group back together to scout out a place to set our trap for the troll. I'm also curious If we might be able to enlist a bit of help from the Monkoons... i mean The People once they hear our plan and see we are serious."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#159 Post by OGRE MAGE »

After feasting and saying "you're welcome" a lot, the group begins to assemble, discussing the details of their next hunting endeavor. Alordan shows up with an armful of large hooks and a lot of shorter lengths of rope.

Monocar suggests trying to get the moonkoons little tree people to help out with the huge troll. This idea reminds some of the others that poor Owen is still being held captive up in their tree huts and wont be released until the monster has been killed.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#160 Post by Nuke66 »

Raythan replenishes his spells before exiting his hut and finding some breakfast before joining the group.

"But the big question is....who is gonna be the bait?"

Return to “Completed Missions”