Quest #8 "Bring Me The Sea Monsters Head"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Quest #8 "Bring Me The Sea Monsters Head"

#181 Post by OGRE MAGE »

With nothing yet accomplished except for more beach walking, Luther glares at the others as one by one his help begins rushing back towards town once they see the ship coming closer to shore. Jack leads the way with Alordan and Monocar not far behind. The ranger will be all alone out here unless he follows the others.

I guess I am not making it clear enough in my posts the vast distances you need to travel to get around out here. It is a 2 hour walk down the beach to get to where the first troll battle happened. Since I didn't catch this action before it snowballed, I will rule that you turned around as soon as you arrived there, and then ran all the way back. That way I don't have to alter every post that was made after this change of plans. Urson, I will leave it up to you if you follow or stay out here alone.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Urson »

Luther
Seeing the search group vanish toward town, Luther follows.

When he hears word of the missing kids, he steps up his pace. Where were they? Where did they go? How long ago did they vanish?

He glances at the ship, wishing he had time to stop.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan wakes up stiff, sore, and cranky. He gathers himself eventually enough to rise and see to some breakfast and maybe a plan to tackle this goddamn troll. He'll collect his things, including his ropes and hooks, and make his way to the tree house to see what's what...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#185 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I think a few of you are now ready for me to resurrect this thread.

Back To The Hunt
Starday, The 27th of Reaping
Early Morning, Hot, Muggy, Buggy

Saracen and Alordan gather at the beach, awaiting the arrival of the others, hoping to discuss further plans to kill the troll today.

There were rumors of the fighters going off hunting on this day, after they deliver the blacksmiths coal. Perhaps the separate missions can be combined into one trek?

Actions?

Even if you are still tied up with private actions, you can let us know here if you want to go along on this mission as well. I don't want to keep too many players waiting if I can avoid it.

Luther R2 20/20
Chauncey MU2 10/10 CL, DM, RM, 2/2 first
Saracen 12/12 3/3 first
Avaala 5/5 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Rollo 15/17
Monocar F2 16/21
Alordan R2 10/13

Jaxsen 10/10

Jack 7/10 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first (still short 2 hp's from resting on the 26th)
Lightfinger T2 10/10

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by Urson »

Luther

After thanking the blacksmith for his work, and promising another load of charcoal in the near future, Luther gathers his bow, arrows, and dagger, ready to go hunting.
He sees the Troll Crew and joins them. Are we ready for another try at that bastard troll? I'll be glad to help, of course. If we can wait until this afternoon, I'll have a harpoon to use on that ugly rutter.

He carefully examines the acid grenades, nodding as he sees the theory behind them. Have you practiced with throwing similar- weight objects? It might help your aim when we get to the critical point. Does anyone have a flask of oil we can use to make flaming arrows with?

As for the harpoon, Luther will be generous with his cord and snare wire when binding the head to the shaft.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen smiles as the rangers approach. Well personally I think we are crazy to go and attempt to take on the sea troll with anyone not at the optimum, any injury is a liability with such a powerful foe. But I am but one voice. Do we have a plan of attack?
Greys Campaign.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

:shock: :evil: Walks over to stand behind Scaracen, crossing his arms with a stubborn set to his jaw. "Whoa, nobody said anything about going for the troll yet. I need at least another day to heal up before I can take on a hard fight like that again. I am all for scouting, and only scouting, but when I said I was willing to go hunting I meant for a fat hog or maybe another crab, or even manage to find some goodies in one of Luthar's traps."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey glides up to the others as they gather on the beach. "Is today the day? I've yet to see this 'water troll.' Is it very frightening? Has anyone spotted it recently? Have we considered baiting it out of the water, then ambushing it as we did the crab?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#190 Post by SirOwen »

ChubbyPixie wrote:Chauncey glides up to the others as they gather on the beach. "Is today the day? I've yet to see this 'water troll.' Is it very frightening? Has anyone spotted it recently? Have we considered baiting it out of the water, then ambushing it as we did the crab?"
Avaala

Avaala stands next to Chauncey. "Indeed," he says. "That worked very well. I haven't seen this thing, either. Have we any idea how smart it is? The crab was easily fooled, but I have heard that trolls are very wily adversaries. Monocar has told me about what happened last time. I've not said it before, but my condolences."
"There is no spoon."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen nods at the mountains words. ”Last time it was not easily fooled or baited, and retreated to the water as soon as it had snagged its prizes. If we are prepared to wait another day I can try and heal the warrior and the ranger here, but it would be pointless to do so if you are going to seek another fight today. We must be prepared when we next face old Scraggy, for he is fearsome and has a keen and sneaky mind. It will not be as easy to trick him as it was the crab. We should pool our magic and see if we can collectively come up with a plan of attack!” he says, looking at the two wizards.
Greys Campaign.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan agrees "Waiting one more day is prudent. We have hooks and ropes, a harpoon, and the will to kill this thing. As I recall it is smart enough to know when there is a group of folks present versus a single person. If we use one person as 'bait' - what protection can we offer that person until the rest of us can close in on it? How can we get that person quickly to safety?"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#193 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

Avaala wracks his brain for a spell combination that would be especially effective. Finally, he looks at Saracen and just shakes his head. "I have spells that can damage it, but I cannot think of any combination of spells we might have that would give us a fast kill."

Alordan's problem seems a bit easier. "I think the island itself can help with that. The beach is not so wide that whoever acts as bait cannot be supported by others inside the treeline. It's easier to see out of that than into it, so we could keep a close eye and then respond quickly without being seen."
"There is no spoon."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#194 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

Avaala has another thought on the matter. "Oh, whoever acts as bait needs to be able to move easily. No heavy armor, no robes tangling around their legs. They have to be quick and agile. It's not a matter of bravery so much as agility."
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#195 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As the adventurers make their preparations and discuss their plan of attack on the troll, their old friend Raythan happens to walk by on his way to the water. He sees the group assembling and decides to see what is happening.

"Hello again, friends. Please forgive my absence lately, but to me, getting my home finished seemed a lot more urgent than following you guys around through the jungle. Thanks to the help of a stranger yesterday, I am almost finished with it now. A few more days of cutting and weaving the thatch for the roof, and I will be the first one of our group to have his very own personal dwelling out here"

The half-elf looks around closely at those assembled.

"I have a full compliment of healing spells today. Since Owen seems to be as right as rain now, I guess I could offer to heal those of you that are injured, for a small offering to Celestain, of course. What do you say to that, old friends?"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen claps Raythan on the back and smiles his grim looking smile. ”That’s a great idea. Alordan and Monocar are still injured from the acid beetles, and you have been mighty stingy with your healing of late. If your spells can heal them both that would really help. If not perhaps my own light magic can heal the rest, if our gods are willing.”

The half-orc then turns to Chauncey and Avaala. ”I have something new up my sleeve to try against the sea troll, and also potentially I can try and blind him with the light of Pholtus. If I aim it perfectly it will disorientate him and make him easier to hit and less likely to strike any of us. Potentially I could bless the group, but it isn’t a powerful spell and it doesn’t last very long, and I often think it’s a waste of a spell. If Old Scraggy understands the common tongue or orcish I could possibly place a holy command upon him to sleep or die, but we don’t know if he understands our speech or not. Potentially I could prepare a spell of fear to send him fleeing if we get in over our heads. That’s really the extent of my abilities against the troll I am afraid. I have a potent protection spell against evil but I can’t make it last more than a minute or two and I don’t have the right ingredients anyway. What about you pair, what spells can you bring to the table against him? Anything to hold him fast or slow him down or disable him. Your sleep magic perhaps?” he says looking at the pair hopefully.

Turning to Raythan once again Saracen asks Who is this new comer that assisted you? Is he the unarmoured fellow that moves swiftly on his feet that we have seen with the water bearers? He could be an ideal candidate to set the trap for us, and lithe and swift enough to possibly outrun the troll. The gnome might have been able to tempt the sea troll out with an illusion of us, but alas he still isn’t back from the jungle expedition yet.”
Last edited by Storm11 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greys Campaign.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by Urson »

Luther

The ranger nods, looking a bit annoyed. Yeah, I got ahead of myself. We definitely need to have a clear plan in place before we go after Scraggly. Ranger Jax always said I was weak in planning ahead.

We should look at what we can bring to the fight, and make sure we have it all available... And as many people as we can muster, also. I'll have a harpoon, tied to a tree or sturdy post to help keep him from escaping- plus a sheaf of arrows. Not to brag, but I suspect I'm also one of the strongest here right now. I can get into close combat with him if needs be.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Holding up the rope and iron hook he has been holding onto. "We have these too. So once we get him on land I think we will be able to keep him there. Besides the grenades and arrows, what else do we have? I Don't mind getting in close if we need to, but not when I'm still smarting from the beetle fight."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#199 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

"We could certainly try the sleep spell," says Avaala. "Chauncey knows more about that than I do, however. Additionally, I have a magical bolt that never misses. Unfortunately, it does about the same damage as a single arrow. Not an overwhelming weapon until I gain a greater mastery of it."
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#200 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Really good ideas and great roleplaying in this one so far everyone! :D

Back To The Hunt
Starday, The 27th of Reaping
Early Morning, Hot, Muggy, Buggy

Raythan listens to Saracen and gets a real sour look on his fair face once the half-orc comments about his lack of spell use lately.

"Well I don't know how the followers of Flowtus do things, but we fortunate few who spread the good word of Celestain don't take our healing gifts for granted. Our blessings and spells are miraculous and very dear to us, so we treat them with as much reverence as we do our deity. To call my use of them stingy is not in any way insulting to me."

"So, would anyone other than Saracen like to be healed? All I ask is a small donation to the church. It doesn't even have to be coin, it can be in some other form like a small gift of food to feed the hungry or something similar. I will even take credit......from most of you."

Raythan says a quick prayer and lays his hand on Monocar and then Alordan, healing them both completely. He winks at the newest follower of Pholtus once the spell is complete. "I hope that will help you with your next endeavor. Come back and let me know how the hunt goes. I would be happy to see that slimy bastard die for what it did to Devrin the other day. I have one more spell available if anybody gets hurt really bad out there."

Actions?

Luther R2 20/20
Chauncey MU2 10/10 CL, DM, RM, 2/2 first
Saracen 12/12 3/3 first
Avaala 5/5 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Rollo 15/17
Monocar F2 21/21
Alordan R2 13/13

Jaxsen 10/10

Jack 7/10 CL, DM, RM, 0/1 first (still short 2 hp's from resting on the 26th)
Lightfinger T2 10/10

Return to “Completed Missions”