Quest #8 "Bring Me The Sea Monsters Head"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Quest #8 "Bring Me The Sea Monsters Head"

#281 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

Avaala listens to Monocar volunteer to be bait, but it leaves him with a question. "Who, then, will be the two strong men on the net ropes? I had assumed that you would be one of those, and then following up with the pikes stashed among the trees. But perhaps Alordan and Saracen? You both look strong enough to handle the ropes."

Avaala hesitates for just a moment, and then goes on. "Speaking of which, another idea concerning the pikes has occurred to me. Even if they miss the troll, the pikes will pass through the net and pin it to the ground, helping to trap the troll."
"There is no spoon."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#282 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger wanders in circles and mutters.

Finally the Thief steps forward. Monocle, I'm afraid I must agree with Lavalaa on this, insightful lad that he is. We need great physical power to break this beast, and your sheer size makes you far more intimidating than someone smaller, me for instance. If Scraggly believes he's coming upon a mere child, he may lapse into overconfidence. I should be quick enough to clear out before I'm netted as well.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#283 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

Avaala looks at Lightfinger, and adds, "Remember, Smidgen, the plan is you don't ever step on the net. You lead him over it, but you never step on it yourself. If you never step on it, you never trip on it. If you never step on it, you never uncover it and show Scraggly that it's there. If you never step on it, you never get caught in it when the trap is sprung. I didn't know your elf friend, but I know Scraggly killed him. He doesn't get to do that to any of us. Period."
"There is no spoon."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#284 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Lets out a heavy sigh, then nods. "You're right. All of you. I'll man the net and once it's secure I'll grab a pike... But Lightfinger, do me one favor, and take this. It isn't much, but maybe it will bring you some luck." he takes the elven helm off his own head and holds it out to the hobbit.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#285 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan maintains his diligence with his bow - ready to do his job at pulling on the ropes.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#286 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Back To The Hunt
Sunday, 28th of Reaping
Early Morning, Misty, Cloudy, Humid

The adventurers enjoy the rest of the night eating, rehydrating, and doing their other everyday chores before morning. Eventually, everyone gets a good night’s rest and awakens fully refreshed, healed, and with a full complement of spells for the day. As morning breaks on the 28th, the final day in the month of Reaping, the troll hunting party assembles themselves on the beach, ready to get this well-planned endeavor under way. The weather seems to be turning a bit on this day as a light mist falls from the cloud cover above, reducing the intense heat a little bit but not really affecting the humidity levels all that much. It is nice to not be baking in the hot sunshine for once, though. Another nice byproduct of the light mist is that for the first time since you arrived on this island, the insects aren't trying to eat you alive. There are still a few of the nasty little black gnats flying around your eyes and head, but for the most part, the mist keeps the other bugs at bay.

Chauncey, Avaala (and Rollo), Luther, Monocar, Alordan, Saracen, and Lightfinger all greet each other with knowing nods as they double check the items they still need to bring out to the net site. Young Jack is nowhere to be found this morning, though that isn’t all that unusual considering the boys intense curiosity and eagerness to rush off into danger. Perhaps he was out doing some overnight scouting?

Loaded up with everything they need to bring along, the group sets out for the buried net, just a short 2 hour walk up the beach. They travel through the morning mists, arriving to find that nothing was tampered with overnight and everything looks just as they left it. The only ropes that haven’t been buried in the sand still hang over the sturdy tree branches, just waiting to be pulled up.

The group does their final preparations, getting everything set up the way they want it. There is only one thing missing from the scene……..the target.

The group stares down at Lightfinger with reverence once he suggests that he be the one to lure Scraggly over the net trap. However, ol’ Scraggly is nowhere to be seen at the moment. Looking further up the beach, there is no sign of the monster anywhere. The inventive party will need to come up with some way to lure the monster out of the water and onto the beach before all of their hard work can be proven successful.

Actions?
Similar to the tree spear trap, one of you will make a die roll to determine the effectiveness of the net trap. I will outline the chances of success along with any modifiers once you have detailed how you intend to get the thing to stand on the proverbial red X. :D
Luther R2 20/20
Chauncey MU2 10/10 CL, DM, RM, 2/2 first
Saracen 12/12 3/3 first
Avaala 5/5 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Rollo 17/17
Monocar F2 21/21
Alordan R2 13/13
Lightfinger T2 10/10

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#287 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger inspects Monocar's helm.

What, by the Gods, am I to do with this? The Halfling raises one eyebrow while furrowing the other, Bathe in it? It's certainly big enough. He snaps to of a sudden. Or course! I'll take it to the river and feign bathing and await Scraggly's search for a free meal! Ahm, could someone carry it for me?

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by Urson »

Luther

The big ranger is unexpectedly serious today, but he chuckles at the halfling's joke about the helm.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#289 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen will hide in the tree line within 30 feet of the net trap. He gives the Halfling a thumbs up and fiddles with a clear piece of glass like material in his hand, nerves and excitement building.
Greys Campaign.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#290 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

Avaala takes up a position near the left side of the net line (Left as he faces the ocean.) in the shade of the canopy, but careful to stay out of the way of whoever is pulling on that side. He makes sure he can see where the net should come over the top of the Troll, to keep a good line of sight for his spell. He also keeps close control on Rollo, keeping him occupied with combinations of 'Heel' and 'Guard' commands whispered to the big Mastiff. His staff is stuck into the ground, near at hand.

(How are the acid grenades divided up? At this level, we have pretty similar attack matrices and Avaala has a 16 DEX.)
"There is no spoon."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by Urson »

Luther

Luther looks at the water, and at Lightfinger. I don't like this, but it's the best idea I got. Come with me, Lightfinger. Moving through the trees, he leads the thief about a quarter mile toward the river.

Using his dagger, he cuts himself on the arm, then smears the blood on Lightfinger's forearm. Go down ta the water and wash this off. Take yer time with it, but keep a careful eye out for Scrags. When you're done, head back to the trap- limp an' stagger a little bit, so ya look like easy prey. With The Great Bear's blessing, he'll smell the blood an' follow you. I'll pace ya in the trees, so you ain't ass-to-the-wind.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#292 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger follows along.

I still think that guy covered in goo could have done this, He grumbles, We'd have attracted all sorts of undesirables. He helps Luther smear the blood on himself, then waits as the Bear-Man again finds his hiding spot. The tall Hobbit sighs and trails into the dark water, eager to wash the stains from his once-fine shirt. He takes his time, and finally staggers back to dry land.

Oh, woe! He cries out in his best dying-animal voice, Whatever shall become of me? Wounded, and SO far from civilization! I must TRY to seek aid, MUST make it back! But, I'm so weary, I need a rest, yes, just a short rest... He collapses to the ground, almost as dramatically as he intends.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#293 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

While Luthar and Lightfinger are gone, he triple checks the net, pikes, and ropes, then make sure the sand is smooth but not too smooth. Going for natural and undisturbed. He is shaking with nerves. He moves to the rope he will man and takes a position checking that there are a couple of the grenades close at hand, probably at least two of the fuller and presumably more potent ones. Monocar seems to be arguing with himself and looking out over the water nervously.

Inside... well... by now you know...
Imp: Well, this all looks fine and dandy.

Cherub: We have plenty of friends here to help, and we should be thankful, but we should also be cautious. We cannot let any of them come to danger.

Imp: I laugh at danger!

Cherub: This troll is dangerous enough for all of us and then some. Remember what happened the last time...

Imp: Oh, enough already! You want to do the so-called 'right thing' right?

Cherub: ...well, uh, yes. yes of course... but...

Imp: The troll is bad, right?

Cherub: Well, it is just his nature to...

Imp: RIGHT?!

Cherub: ...........yes...

Imp: So killing the troll will make the island safer, right?

Cherub: Yes, of course. What are you getting at?

Imp: And when we kill the damn thing we are going to save a LOT of people from dying later on, right?

Cherub: Yes, yes! You are right! But...

Imp: THEN WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?!

Cherub: Everyone is in danger!

Imp: We're always in danger! It's like there is some omnipotent god writing a story for the amusement of others! WHAT IS YOUR POINT?!

Cherub: I DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!

Imp: You're funny when you are frustrated. You know that right?

Cherub: mumbles something less than holy.

Imp: Hmm?

Cherub: Nothing. Just keep an eye out for trouble. We don't want to die again.

Imp: already has his back to everything, making popcorn. Huh? What? Did we get him already?

Cherub: uugh..... Why is this my eternity?

Imp: Ah, it isn't eternity. Only as long as this oaf is alive, which with his track record won't be long...

Cherub: Yes, that will cheer me up.

Imp: Happy to be of service. Hey, Id, you're quiet lately. What are you doing in there? He walks over to the gilded cage still sporting a 'Manufactured by Pholtus' tag on the top.

Id: Looks up from a big book he is reading, wearing a pair of 1950's style reading glasses. The title of the book is "The Art of Nom, by ARG AAAH BRAAAAAH HAHAHA!"

Imp: Raises an eyebrow. Uh, yeah, never mind...

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#294 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey spends a few moments and digs a depression in the sand around the center of the net trap, just within spell casting range, with a berm surrounding it so as to be invisible to anything approaching from the water. He gives Avalaa a knowing look, as if to say “magic, right?” then sinks down into his trench to wait.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#295 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Back To The Hunt
Sunday, 28th of Reaping
Mid Morning, Clearing, Humid

After a wet, dreary walk to their destination, the group is happy to see that the misty, cloudy skies are starting to clear. Saracen gets another one of those creepy, toothy smiles across his reddened face, akin to a child in a candy shop. Making sure everything is in its place, the group positions themselves in the brush and trees around the net trap. The sharpened wooden pikes are stashed as well, with the stinking acid grenades being divvyed up amongst the most agile of the groups hunters. (2 for Alordan and 2 for Monocar?) Chauncey digs a depression in the sand at the center of the trap while Monocar makes the beach looks just right.

Luther is not happy that Jack hasn’t shown up yet, but he knows that the elderly boy has better things to do and despises menial labor. A little time passes with no sign of the target showing itself when finally, the group looks again to Lightfinger, the poor bastard who agreed to play the part of the bait. He and Luther skirt the tree line and move further down the beach. Smearing some blood on the Halfling in a most unsanitary fashion, the burly bear remains hidden in the bush.

The short thief does as he is told and puts on a highly convincing show of it, even if it is a bit dramatic. He feigns fainting, packing sand into the back pockets of his pantaloons. He gets back up and looks around for some sign of the monster. There is none. He goes through his scripted motions anyway, thinking that the dangerous creature could be waiting just off shore, ready to strike out at any second. Still, there is no sign of the monster anywhere to be seen. Just when the halfling is about to give up, he spots 2 figures coming towards him from far off down the beach towards the river. One of the figures is small, about his own size, while the other is quite tall with a sea green hue to his skin. He can’t tell if they have spotted him yet or not, but he is certain that the pair is headed in the groups direction.

Actions?
Ok, lets do this thing! I paused here to let you confirm any last minute details you might want to address.
As you all hoped, the fight seems to be coming right for you. I will detail how the trap will function in my next post, then......we fight!!! :D
Luther R2 20/20
Chauncey MU2 10/10 CL, DM, RM, 2/2 first
Saracen 12/12 3/3 first
Avaala 5/5 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Rollo 17/17
Monocar F2 21/21
Alordan R2 13/13
Lightfinger T2 10/10

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#296 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

Avaala maintains his position under the foliage. If he notes anyone looking in his direction, he motions them to do likewise.
"There is no spoon."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#297 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen will ready his components and maintain his hidden position too, offering up a prayer to Pholtus quietly for the success of their trap.
Greys Campaign.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#299 Post by Urson »

Luther
Luther spots the pair, and watches them, his bow ready to draw and fire at a moment's notice.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#300 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan stays still and squints to try and identify the pair.

Return to “Completed Missions”