Quest #8 "Bring Me The Sea Monsters Head"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Quest #8 "Bring Me The Sea Monsters Head"

#261 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jax looks down at the halfling.

"No," he says, as he lifts his yoke once more and moves out with Marge and the water-gathering team.
"There is no spoon."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by Urson »

Luther

The ranger stops what he's doing and stretches, several joints making audible 'cracks' and 'pops' .

He looks around at all the preparations that have been made, the gear that has been secured in place, and his fellow monster hunters. We've done a long day's work here, and I honestly think we're as ready as we can be, excepting only the healing and a good night's rest. If you have other things you want to be sure of, go ahead. But I think- maybe- we're done. Thank you all!
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#263 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Grins to Luthar and looks around. "before we leave, lets get some brush and deadfall, maybe some sridtwood if we can. Anything that burns. Once we have him down, I'd sleep better knowing he couldn't come back. Could serve as a backup too. I've never seen anything that was fireproof before. Maybe if we burn his woulds they won't heal back. Either way, burn the damn thing once it's dead so we can be done with him." Doesn't wait, gets to work.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#264 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Back To The Hunt
Starday, The 27th of Reaping
Evening, Hot, Buggy

Marge seems inclined to think that the net will actually work fairly well. She hears Saracens concerns about the possibility of the troll currently watching them while they work.....
I know that some of you don’t read the other threads, so I will bring this one up again. I almost always add little clues in my text that pertain to the current situation. If you ever have concerns about certain things, sometimes your questions can be answered just by re-reading the initial posts. For instance:
OGRE MAGE wrote: Leaving the river just as it was, the group departs. Jaxsen notices the bloated ogre carcass drifting further out to sea each time he looks back. Then, after another short while passes, he hears some distant splashing and slapping on the top of the water. When he turns to look, he watches the bloated form eventually disappear below the surface for good.
An astute player might read into that and discern that the troll is currently not in your area. I aint typing all this stuff out for my health here folks! :lol:
“Ya, from what I have seen, the big green brute is no genius. But, he is still very dangerous. If you want to get him up out of the water, you will have to make it worth his while. I don’t think he will notice a buried net, but I wouldn’t want to find out the hard way that I was mistaken.”

The large woman and her hard working group take their leave, gathering up their pails as they head back to town. As they depart, she speaks her mind again.

“I will be glad to see that mean bastard taken out, but my stomach wishes you were going for another giant crab, instead. Something tells me that troll meat aint exactly edible.”

After arriving on the scene, Lightfinger scolds Jack in front of the others, letting everyone know his side of the story. Not surprisingly, the ancient elf boy puts on his usual frowny face and starts to blubber like a spoiled child. Eventually he tires of being ignored and all of the boring work preparations, so he wanders off alone again.

Lightfinger spins his tales to the others about the standing stones that turned into dwarves and of Bert’s horrible demise, but the others decide not to tackle any of those issues until after the task at hand has been completed.

The net is covered and the trap is set. After a long day of discussions and preparations, the party feels content that the only thing left to do is to lure the beast out of the sea somehow. They return to town, tired and thirsty, ready for a good night of sleep.

Actions?

Go ahead with any last requests preps that you want to make. I will move this action along to the morning in my next post.

Luther R2 20/20
Chauncey MU2 10/10 CL, DM, RM, 2/2 first
Saracen 12/12 3/3 first
Avaala 5/5 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Rollo 15/17
Monocar F2 21/21
Alordan R2 13/13
Lightfinger T2 10/10

Jaxsen 10/10

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#265 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

The wood gathering done, he stacks it near the treeline to not look too suspicious. He then makes his way back to town for some food and drink at the treehouse, offering to buy dinner for Luthar having figured out he is flat broke. While there he will inquire about getting a couple torches for tomorrow's hunt after explaining he plans to burn the corpse when they are done to make sure Scraggly cannot regenerate and will be gone for good.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#266 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger accompanies the pair of large Warriors.

I've a few torches, He points out, I'd be more than happy to donate to the cause to eliminate Scraggly. Ah, excuse me, gentlemen, I have prior engagements.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar
tkrexx wrote:Lightfinger accompanies the pair of large Warriors.

I've a few torches, He points out, I'd be more than happy to donate to the cause to eliminate Scraggly. Ah, excuse me, gentlemen, I have prior engagements.
"thanks L.F.! Will you be at the hunt tomorrow? Could really use your help. You have a sling, right?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#268 Post by Urson »

Luther

It's likely to be a long, dull afternoon- get as much sleep as you can tonight, so you don't doze off tomorrow.

Luther accepts the loan from Monocar, emphasizing that he will be paid back. He retires to his shack, meditating for a while before he goes to sleep.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Wakes up just before dawn in the common house waving his hand at the smell. The place needed some better ventilation... and thr people, truth be told needed a safer and better way to bathe... more often. Ideas for the back of his head for later. Maybe killing the troll today would make a rinse in the sea more safe. She stood up and put on all his gear, making sure his sword and axe were clean and sharp.

He then walks out to the beach and splashes his face and arms with water, "hitting the highlights" as his father used to say before heading out to work. He missed the old man that skme called grumpy. He drew the elven longsword and gave it a good long look before putting it point down where the water lapped at the sand. "Today we hope to avange you friend, and all those that monster has hurt before. I didn't get a chance to know you, but in that moment, I knew you were brave and good. I suppose that is enough. I hope you'll be granted peace today. I pray Photus grants me the power to do what I..." he looses his words a moment then looks up at the greying of dawn. "I pray he grants me the power to save these people more hurt at the hands of this troll. I pray he helps us understand what we must do when the time comes... to somehow make it clear. We want to help these people. Surely that is a good reason for him to pay a little attention."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#270 Post by tkrexx »

thanks L.F.! Will you be at the hunt tomorrow? Could really use your help. You have a sling, right?
Lightfinger waves as he leaves.

Yes, yes of course! Quite proficient with the sling, I am.

Upon waking the next morning, the Thief wanders about looking for Troll-killers.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#271 Post by Urson »

Luther

The ranger shambles out of his shack come morning, yawning and scratching at indelicate places. He greets the other monster hunters as he sees them, and spends some time practicing with the new harpoon, looking for the best balance, the best grip, and the proper stance.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#272 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen takes himself out to wash down his sweaty body in the morning sun, and cleans his armour, and polishes his weapons in his underwear. He will slather on some more of the unguent that keeps the flies at bay, and then prays to Pholtus that his light is burning bright this day.

Dressing and breaking his fast the Half-orc moves along down to the Beach to see if he can see the others, his bow and two-handed sword in tow.

Hailing the others as the begin to congregate upon the watershore the tall orange clad holy champion begins to pray loudly to the blinding light to bless this venture and watch over those facing their destiny this day.
Greys Campaign.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#273 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan attends to minor maintenance of his equipment before meeting with up with group. Both eager and reticent to get the job done.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#274 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

Avaala and Rollo, upon returning to town, stop by the Treehouse and pay their respects to Randall. They'll have a plain supper of stew (and bones, for Rollo) before returning to their hut.

Avaala has a little bit of personal business to attend to, but he and Rollo call it an early evening. Both feel the need for some restorative rest.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#275 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As the hunters assemble, they remember that they still need to discuss the most important part of any good trap........the bait!
While I prep for my next post, feel free to discuss ideas on how you will attract the troll to the area and how you intend to lure him over the buried net. Once those 2 items are resolved, we roll.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#276 Post by Urson »

Luther

Monocar, I know you volunteered to be the bait for this plan- are you sure 'bout that? It's gonna be damn dangerous. We all know that troll's no pussycat, and you're still making do with no armor. I still got that stinkbait- but I don't know if he'll take it- it's pretty much just rot by now.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#277 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

"i still have my chest piece and a helm. That's something. Lets get the stinkbait and put it in a basket, like one of your traps. I can pose alone on the beach like i am fishing. The rest of you will be hiding in the treeline, ready to go. He will have to come up on land to get to me either way, so he'll breech the water sooner than later. I'll just have to be ready. I'll fall back behind the net where my pikes are hidden in the sand, we spring the trap, everyone does their part, and fate deals with the details."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#278 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen asks the new monk if he would be prepared to outrun the creature into the net trap before he leaves to get cleaned up
Greys Campaign.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan overhears the group talk about bait. How can he ask someone else to do such a dangerous task? "I can be quick enough if I don't take my pack along. I'll keep my armor and weapons - so I should be able to serve what needs doing... "

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#280 Post by SirOwen »

Storm11 wrote:Saracen asks the new monk if he would be prepared to outrun the creature into the net trap before he leaves to get cleaned up
The monk will not be helping with this trap. I cannot run Jaxsen and Avaala in the same place at the same time. That's why Jaxsen left so abruptly the night before.
"There is no spoon."

Return to “Completed Missions”