Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Quest #8 "Bring Me The Sea Monsters Head"

#82 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Going From Bad To Worse
Round 7

Saracen is able to stick the beast with another arrow that sinks up to the fletching into its rubbery flesh. It howls out in pain again, its injuries starting to become serious. Alordan and Luther fire as well, still not having any luck with their shots. Raythan shouts out a simple command of "Stop!", but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the monster.

Despite his serious injuries, and the volley of arrows flying through the air towards the monster, Monocar does not want this thing getting away. So, of course, he raises Devrin’s long sword and charges into the water after it. This causes the groups eagle-eyed marksman, Jack, to hold his fire.

This beast only cares about its meal, so it does what it has to do to protect it. Hearing the Mountain splashing into the water, it turns to fight just as his sword thrust leaves another nasty gash in its broad green chest, spilling more yellow goo out into the ocean. The thing yells out in pain yet again, still trying hard to keep the elf’s body from floating away in the surf.

Before he has time to revel in his perfect sword blow, one stray arrow thuds into the back of the foolish fighter. 2 dam Then, it’s the monsters turn. With most of its legs still submerged in the sea, and with one hand trying to prevent its meal from drifting away, the thing only has one hand and one mouth available to do its dirty work. Unfortunately for Monocar, that is more than enough. Luckily, the huge creature misses with its toothy maw, but it is able to rake the human badly with its free claw. 4 dam The mountainous man known as Monocar finally succumbs to his terrible wounds and massive blood loss, passing out unconscious in the waist deep water. The monster turns out to sea again, now latching on to this new much larger meal as his unconscious body bobs up and down on the surface of the waves.

With arrows still flying past, the beast is merely seconds away from submerging below the surface with its 2 huge meaty snacks.

Actions!

It would seem that Monocars questionable bravery has bought the archers one last round to try to bring this thing down. Don't waste it. :D

Devrin Treesong -20/9 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first Deceased :cry:
Alordan 9/10
Saracen Solaris 10/12 0/3 first
Jack 8/10 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Monocar -1/12 Unconscious
Luther 11/13
Raythan 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 0/1 first / 2/3 first (cleric)

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen fires off two more shots at the beasts back as it retreats once again.

[1d20] = 15 : [1d6] = 6 : [1d20] = 12 : [1d6] = 1. Not including the bonus to hit its back.
Greys Campaign.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan tries to slow his breathing down amidst the violence to put the beast down for the betterment of the village and...

Short Bow Attack [1d20+3] = 13+3 = 16 (THACO=17)
Short Bow Damage [1d6] = 2 +1 (vs. giant) = 3

Short Bow Attack [1d20+3] = 6+3 = 9 (THACO=17)
Short Bow Damage [1d6] = 4 +1 (vs. giant) = 5

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Suddenly frightened, Jack stops dancing and taunting. He sets his little jaw and fires again.

Jack: Arrows: to hit: [1d20+4] = 7+4 = 11, [1d20+4] = 4+4 = 8, damage: [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 1 (Macro doesn't include bonus for attacking from rear)

His aim is less than true.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Urson »

Luther

attack [1d20] = 10
attack [1d20] = 3

Splash!

Even as the second arrow flies wide, Luther begins running again, intending to rescue Monologue, if nothing else.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#87 Post by OGRE MAGE »

That Seemed Easy
Round 8

With its delicious meat sacks in tow, the huge monster turns towards the sea again, taking long strides through the water with its large green back exposed ever so nicely. One by one arrows fly over its head or fall short, all of them missing their mark. The creature is almost completely under the water by the time the last missile is fired. The body of the dead elf gets pulled below the surface and submerges completely. The beast has a slightly harder time pulling the huge form of Monocar below as well. That gives Alordan the split second that he needs to exhale and let fly his last arrow just as the monsters head is about to go under. The arrow swacks into the back of the creatures neck, sticking in and finally dropping the beast below the surface of the waves, submerging it completely in the salty brine.

After a few more seconds, Monocars huge form bobs back up to the surface. He just lies there floating face down in the water, his blood loss turning the beautiful Azure sea into a rusty crimson color all around him. Raythan and Luther begin rushing out into the water to try to save the man from drowning in his current condition.

Actions!

You better practice up on your system shock rolls, BH. :D

Alordan 9/10
Monocar -2/12 Unconscious and Drowning
Luther 11/13

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen looks at the others in shock. "Did you get it Alordan? he asks in surprise. "Quickly, drag it out of the sea and tie it up before it recovers! If it heals in the ocean we have little time! Grab the elf as well! We may need to sell or redistribute his equipment!"

The Orange clad half-orc comes forward to help as fast as he can, putting his bow away in the process.

"We may have just sealed our end of the bargain with the monkoons if this is the creature they were talking about!"
Greys Campaign.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Jack calls to Saracen from the water's edge: "Um. Mister Monster? Maybe you should heal Monocar now!"

;)
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Storm11 »

"I used all my Healing for the day at the monkoons if you remember young lad. I healed the ranger and this fighter after their long excursion. Perhaps the wizard-priest could be a little less stingy with his Healing finally? Otherwise Monocar will have to wait until the morrow when I can renew my sun magic." the half-orc says as patiently as he can manage.
Greys Campaign.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan is not sure what to make of what transpired! Did it fall? If it let go of Monocar, maybe it is down?!? Alordan will join the others in rescuing monocar from the surf and stab his sword repeatedly into the water to see if he can feel the beast below the water.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#92 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Going Swimming In Armor?
Round 9

Luther, Raythan, and Alordan rush through the water, trying to save the life of their friend Monocar. They see his unmoving body bobbing up and down about 40 feet off shore. They get about 10 feet away when they realize that the sandy bottom drops off steadily, leaving them on their tip toes, currently treading in about 6 feet of water and unable to reach the dying man without swimming the last 10 feet.

Alordan pokes around with his sword, but doesn't feel or see the beast below the surface of the water at this distance. Luther knows he will have a hard time swimming in his bulky armor. He looks to the others in their lighter leather, knowing full well that the Mountain is running out of time.

Actions?

Bluehorse, let's see if Monocar is inhaling enough water to drown, please make a system shock roll at -5%. You will need to make a successful roll each round, at -5% cumulative per round, until you are saved or until you're........ :?

In order to successfully swim out to grab Monocar, Luther will need to make a Hard STR check. Alordan or Raythan would need to make a Normal STR check.

Alordan 9/10
Monocar -3/12 Unconscious and Drowning
Luther 11/13

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan sees his unconscious comrade and moves to help him versus continue the pursuit for the sea monster. "I'll swim out and grab him! Make a chain and help me bring him in!"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Urson »

Luther

The ranger takes a deep breath and ducks underwater, hoping to see some sign of where the beast went. When he comes back up, he'll join whatever human chain is forming.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Jack will cover the rescuers.
Arrow nocked, he waits on the shore, scanning with young elven eyes for any sign of the sea monster's return.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen moves along to assist the recovery of the mountain at the waters edge.
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#98 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Going Swimming In Armor?
Round 10

Alordan and Raythan swim out to grab onto Monocar, hoping that they aren't already too late. Reaching him, they grab ahold of the large man and start swimming back towards shore before the sea monster grabs onto them as well. For a split second, they see the body of Devrin pop up out of the water again as well, but his dead form is quickly pulled back below the surface. Seeing this causes them to swim a little faster.

Luther inhales deeply and drops below the waves, looking around in the blue green sea for any signs of the monster approaching. The salty brine stings his eyes, but the tough fighting man endures the pain, hoping to warn the others if he sees anything dangerous. About 15 feet in front of him, he sees the huge green beast slowly descending to the sea floor with its eyes closed. To his ultimate horror, after a few seconds go by, the beast opens its eyes again and starts swimming towards the rescue team. Whatever this thing is, it clearly isn't dead yet.

Out of breath, Luther pops back up and starts shouting to Alordan to swim faster. The pair of swimmers has a hard time getting the huge dead weight of the Mountain heading in the right direction. They struggle with him, but eventually get back to the point where they can stand on the soft sand of the sea floor again.

Those still on the shore don't see anything below the surface at this distance, but they do see Devrin pop up and then get pulled back down again, indicating that all is definitely not well out there.

When Raythan and Alordan get to where Luther is standing, they try to flip the nearly dead human over to see if he is still breathing. Just then they begin to feel something pulling back on the unmoving form of Monocar. Something below the water doesn't want to give up the huge meal without a fight. Luther takes another look below and can see that the creature has followed the two, now trying to pull Monocar back under the water. The submerged beast is still clutching the dead elf in one claw as it pulls hard to regain control of its dessert from the would be rescuers.

Actions?

BH, your last roll should have been at 90%. (-5% cumulative) I think you would have still made it though. :D This round your roll will be at 85%. Good luck!!!

Alordan 9/10
Monocar -4/12 Unconscious and Drowning (Dead at -7)
Luther 11/13

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by ravenn4544 »

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

One eye closed, the other one staring down the shaft of a nocked arrow, Jack moves 10 feet to his left trying to get a better view, ready to shoot the sea monster if it surfaces.
DM:

Player: