Quest #8 "Bring Me The Sea Monsters Head"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #8 "Bring Me The Sea Monsters Head"

#201 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar
ravenn4544 wrote:Alordan agrees "Waiting one more day is prudent. We have hooks and ropes, a harpoon, and the will to kill this thing. As I recall it is smart enough to know when there is a group of folks present versus a single person. If we use one person as 'bait' - what protection can we offer that person until the rest of us can close in on it? How can we get that person quickly to safety?"
Gets a puzzled look on his face and rubs his chin... no wait... thinking... the Man Mountain was thinking! "What if... what if they did not have to move? What if we dug a pit, just big enough for someone with a spear to hunker down in, armor and all, and there was a small helpless looking dummy on top. Then when Slimeball waddles over close enough the person inside could spring out like one of those big spiders we have at home and get a surprise shot, hopefully to the gut or something. If it were attached by a rope to a good stake or maybe a tree behind the dummy... hidden under the sand... we would have him held for the time being. Whoever was in the hiddy hole could even duck back down while the hooks and grenades were thrown, waiting for a good chance to spring out again.
Surey if we caught him that off guard, we could have a chance."

OGRE MAGE wrote:"So, would anyone other than Saracen like to be healed? All I ask is a small donation to the church. It doesn't even have to be coin, it can be in some other form like a small gift of food to feed the hungry or something similar. I will even take credit......from most of you."

Raythan says a quick prayer and lays his hand on Monocar and then Alordan, [...]
Monocar seems about to protest when he hears talk of selling heals but before he can get a word out the cleric's hands are on him and he gets a confused look again, feeling 100% again. He stands there a moment his mouth hanging open as if trying to remember what he was going to say and looks at Scaracen apologetically before mumbling a confused but sincere thank you to the quick talking NPC... I mean none player cleric... :roll:

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by Urson »

Luther

I've heard of those spiders you're talking about, Monocar- never thought about using their tricks. It would be a dangerous place for the man in the hole- he'll be trapped, just like the troll. If we go that route, I'll be the spider. I'll need a blade, though- those damn beetles destroyed mine.
If we bury a log a couple of feet under the pit and attach the harpoon to it, it will act like an anchor and hold the bastard in place.

Luther smiles a very predatory smile, apparently envisioning the death of Scraggly.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#203 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

"The problem with digging a hole in sand," starts Avaala. "Is that they have a tendency to collapse. If you are ducked down in it, you're buried. If it collapses while your head is out of it, you are the worst kind of bait for the troll.... the kind that can't get away."

He looks at Monocar, "Please don't try that. I'd hate to have to explain that to your father."
"There is no spoon."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Still thinking. "we could make a good long hafted spear. Find a good hardwood to make a rough shaft out of, sharpen it to a point. Maybe 12 to 14 feet so it is good to keep his out or reach for a bit? Doesn't have to be pretty, just enough to hold him long enough for grenadeers and hooks. "

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#205 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

"A pike!!" exclaims Avaala. "Yes, I think that's a great idea. And if we back it into the treeline, we could both hide and know we have a straight line of attack."
"There is no spoon."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Chauncey follows the talk of the more fighterly types, looking back and forth from one to the other as ideas are exchanged. "Hmmm. Yes, Avalaa, I feel, is correct about the pit. I have a thought that could perhaps be safer than engaging in melee with the beast?, Or one that could, at the very least, make it more safe, generally," he ventures, "Ahem! What if we were to employ the aforementioned methods, baiting, ambushing, what have you, but instead of digging a pit, we induce the creature to follow the 'bait' over a carefully concealed rope net - just under a layer of sand - then, when it passes over, two concealed members of our party pull on concealed ropes attached to the corners of said net and envelop the creature, entangling it and giving us a more stationary target to acid grenade and harpoon to our hearts content? Hmmmmmm?" He looks to the others expectantly. "As far as the Sleep enchantment goes - I could certainly try. It is a tricky incantation with many variables. I feel it should work, but one can never be sure."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Urson »

Luther

The big ranger is silent, just taking in all the ideas being thrown out. He nods occasionally, but says nothing for now.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#208 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Incidentally, some of you have seen a few heavy cargo nets hanging up around the town that have been left behind by the ships crews. Most are in need of some repair, but they might work great for Chauncey's latest idea.

Just in case you were wondering where to get a net big enough to ensnare a 10 foot troll. :mrgreen:

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan speaks up "I can help with the nets. I've worked on these before"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Turns and listens to Chauncey and nod excitedly. "That sounds like a good idea. Anything we can do to tangle him up and slow him down is bound to help us"
ravenn4544 wrote:Alordan speaks up "I can help with the nets. I've worked on these before"
The Man-Mountain grins. "Well, okay. There's one thing. I can get to work on some pikes and have them ready fairly quickly.
I know the water bearers see the troll on occasion. Have they left for the day yet? We could ask if they have seen him lately and know where he is sculking about. That will give us an idea of where he likes to hunt."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by Urson »

Luther

Seems ta me we already know his hunting ground- when he took that poor elf fella. I marked a tree there, so I could find it agin.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#212 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Back To The Hunt
Starday, The 27th of Reaping
Morning, Hot, Muggy, Buggy

The conversation continues about the do's and don'ts of Troll hunting. The idea to dig a large pit in the sand seems to be scrapped once Chauncey suggests using a heavy net instead. Alordan quickly excuses himself from the group, leaving behind his large sharpened metal hooks, tied with sections of discarded rope. He soon returns with a large bundle of more thick ropes slung over his shoulder. He has "borrowed" a 20x20 foot cargo net that the blacksmith was using as a clothesline. There are a few holes in the net and it is in need of some minor repairs, but the ranger is certain he can use his skills to mend the holes to make the net work well again.

Monocar and Avaala talk about sharpening long sticks to use as pikes. The intellectually challenged fighter looks around for the water gatherers who left town long ago, wondering if they have seen the beast lately. Luther reminds the group that he marked a tree where the first battle took place on the beach.

After a bit more time passes and a few more plans are discussed, Mr. Smith eventually runs up to the group with Luthers old sword in his hand. The sword has been fashioned into a harpoon head that looks fairly crude, but should fit perfectly on the shaft that Mountain has prepared.

With hooks, harpoon, pikes, full compliments of spells, and the bottles of beetle acid tied together, the group looks around at each other, just waiting for someone to give the word to move out. Seeing that the group might be getting ready to depart, Raythan takes his leave of them once again. "Good luck! It seems like you have plenty of means to do away with the beast now. Do come back and tell me all about it once you've returned."

Actions?

Luther R2 20/20
Chauncey MU2 10/10 CL, DM, RM, 2/2 first
Saracen 12/12 3/3 first
Avaala 5/5 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Rollo 15/17
Monocar F2 21/21
Alordan R2 13/13

Jaxsen 10/10

Jack 7/10 CL, DM, RM, 0/1 first (still short 2 hp's from resting on the 26th)
Lightfinger T2 10/10

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan scans the group "So we head out - whose going to be the bait? We've heard from the townsfolk - and we witnessed it first hand - that the beast attacks lone figures and not groups"

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"I would distinctly not like to volunteer for bait duty," says Chauncey. "I've never seen the creature and therefore have no 'feel' for its movement, nor it's tactics. Instead, I would propose to hide myself in the reeds, ready to assist with spells as the opportunity presents itself."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar
ravenn4544 wrote:Alordan scans the group "So we head out - who's going to be the bait? We've heard from the townsfolk - and we witnessed it first hand - that the beast attacks lone figures and not groups"
........................................................................................................"I'll do it. I'm the most familiar with his movements,
and it is my fault Devrin is dead. We can set the net in the sand like Chauncy suggested, and I will have one of the pikes hidden in the sand too for when the slimy bastard gets close. Then we can cast all the hooks and harpoons to make sure that even if he gets out of the net, we have him held so he can't escape into the water again like last time. Then...."
he draws Devrin's long sword slowly. "I'm going to carve his face off with this..."

He resheaths the sword and begins walking, looking for good hardwood saplings and branches for cutting into pikes while heading in the general direction of Devrin Shoals... Where they will meet the troll, hopefully for the last time.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by Storm11 »

”I am one of the slowest of our group, I don’t think it wise I am the bait. Plus I am the only on hand cleric of light, so that might not be the best plan. We need someone fast and nimble, and maybe lightly armoured.” Saracen suggests wisely.
Greys Campaign.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by Urson »

Luther

Whoa! Wait a minute! I thought we decided we weren't gonna try this today- gonna wait for a day when we're all healthy, rested, and we've got all the right spells prepared.
Let's pick a shack to store this stuff in, go on with our day, and kick this thing off tomorrow morning, first thing.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by Storm11 »

we can totally do that. No one picks spells in this game unless it’s the reverse and Raythan used his magic to heal everyone up to full hit points. But if here are things you want to do today we can wait another day for sure.
Greys Campaign.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by Bluehorse »

Storm11 wrote:we can totally do that. No one picks spells in this game unless it’s the reverse and Raythan used his magic to heal everyone up to full hit points. But if here are things you want to do today we can wait another day for sure.
I took it that OM more or less solved the spell problem with NPC Raythen healing us up. Am I missing something? We could still do a little setup. Scout the location and make a solid plan. Monocar and Avaala still need to make pikes, but can gather wood along the way.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#220 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bluehorse wrote:I took it that OM more or less solved the spell problem with NPC Raythen healing us up. Am I missing something? We could still do a little setup. Scout the location and make a solid plan.
You are not missing something.

Though it is true that I had Raythan come around to NPC the healing dilemma, that doesn't mean that you still absolutely have to go hunting today.

I am just trying to prepare you so that you can........if you want to. :D

Return to “Completed Missions”