Quest #8 "Bring Me The Sea Monsters Head"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Quest #8 "Bring Me The Sea Monsters Head"

#221 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

"I think tomorrow is the best idea for one simple reason," says Avaala. "It allows us to go out and set our trap this evening before sundown. Place the pikes, bury the net, smooth out the sand ... and anything else we can think of that will help us catch the Troll off-guard in the morning. In the morning, all it sees is one lone victim, walking along the beach, asking to get eaten."

He pets the huge head of his dog. "Besides, one more night, and I think Rollo will be in peak shape, and I think he wants to help."
"There is no spoon."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen nods in agreement with this plan too.
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#224 Post by OGRE MAGE »

That idea will definitely work.

Lets RP out exactly what you would like to do for todays preparations then.

I can push things along to the morning once everyone is ready to go.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#225 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan nods in agreement with waiting a day. "Our full strength is a must to tackle this beast. We are all in agreement to go or we wait - there is not half way with this thing."

He'll continue to tend to the net by splicing sections in disrepair, testing and adjusting knots, and freeing up the corners to provide a way to tie on heavier objects. He'll also look to add, if the other free sections of rope are long enough, a way to have a length of rope free so that someone could pull on that section and draw in the net tighter about the trapped beast.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by Urson »

Luther

He nods and smiles. OK. Everyone's put out some great ideas here. Let's set up what we can. Luther fetches the material he'll need for his harpoon, plus his own coil of rope and shovel. He'll busy himself nocking the haft of the harpoon to the head until the others are ready to move out.

I don't know a lot about trolls- but I know they kin recover some from any wound. When we hit him, we hit hard- try an' overwhelm his healing.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#227 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

Avaala draws out a picture. "I think if we anchor the net in three places to tree trunks, and have a couple of our stronger members pull it over the troll from the sides, that should lock the troll up pretty well. We don't even need to hold the net, once he's wrapped in it. Getting itself out should take a while. The nets are heavy and strong. Something like this?" He points at the rough drawing. "And then cover everything, except the rope ends, in the sand?"
Attachments
trollnet.jpg
trollnet.jpg (233.15 KiB) Viewed 186 times
"There is no spoon."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#230 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan considers "Interesting. Would be good to stay mobile - and not tied down, so to speak. The troll is a hunter and not likely to walk into our trap. The coastline is large..."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#231 Post by ChubbyPixie »

ravenn4544 wrote:Alordan considers "Interesting. Would be good to stay mobile - and not tied down, so to speak. The troll is a hunter and not likely to walk into our trap. The coastline is large..."
"This is precisely why we have bait, Alordan, my good fellow," replies Chauncey, "A lone 'fisherman' or 'beachcomber,' as it were - I believe Monocar volunteered for the job? Or perhaps we could use someone more vulnerable looking? Seemingly easy pickings for the brute. Then, when he gives chase, the bait runs across the net. When the troll follows... net, harpoon, Sleep, acid, all in quick succession. We don't 'let up' 'til he's 'dead.'"

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#232 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

"I think Chauncey has the whole of it." says Avaala. "Keeping the nets mobile would be very tricky. And carrying the pikes will be cumbersome, as well as tricky, trying to spin them too close to the trees. I'm seeing, and I'm just tossing names out, say Monocar and Alordan pulling the ropes over the troll as I hit it with one of my magical bolts and Chauncey tries his sleep charm, and others play their specialties, like Jack and his excellent bowman skills. Then Monocar and Alordan grab pikes already positioned in the trees and attack in concert with whoever feels they have the best chance of hitting with acid bombs."

"And," he continues. "If we set this up this evening, and cover our tracks well, we can catch this thing off his guard. We don't have to lug the gear around, out in the open."
"There is no spoon."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#234 Post by SirOwen »

I think this is the most italics I've used in a single post.

Avaala

"No," says Avaala, looking right at Monocar. "We don't plan it out that way. We are going to be careful. We are going to plan this out as well as can be done. We will have back up plans to back up our contingency plans. There is no, 'What do we do if Monocar is caught in the net with the troll.' So, Monocar never actually stands on the net. He goes slightly waterside of the net and then corrects his position so Scraggly has a straight line over the net to get to him. Everything dies in its appointed time, but we will not die from failing to plan."
"There is no spoon."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#235 Post by Urson »

Luther

I've always had a problem planning far enough ahead. Please, Avaala, take the lead on this.

I do like the idea of hiding the net and the weapons. Maybe we should continue planning while we head to the kill zone?
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#236 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Back To The Hunt
Starday, The 27th of Reaping
Mid Morning, Hot, Muggy, Buggy

After fitting his new harpoon onto the whittled shaft, Luther is ready to head out to the marked spot in the sand that the group is now referring to as Devrin's beach. The party looks around for their diminutive friends Jack and Arti, but they are still nowhere to be found this morning. After much deliberation, the party decides that it would be best to wait until the morning to spring their trap on the troll. The idea now is to get everything there, set up, and covered with sand before the troll shows up to spoil their plans.

While the brains of the operation draw out crude pictures of their plans and confirm contingencies, Alordan takes the time to run another cinch rope through the 20' x 20' net in hopes of enveloping the beast completely if it works. Since Avaala's idea seems to sit well with everyone, including his duly impressed fellow mage, the group sets out from Beachtown, finally heading out around mid morning. The party loads up with all of the items that they plan on unleashing on the huge sea monster.

After a 2 hour walk east through the sand, the group reaches the tree that Luther marked just a few days ago. The blood pool in the sand is no longer noticeable, but the horrible memories of the monster are still stuck into each one of their psyche's. While they are setting their gear down, they spot the water gatherers coming up the beach towards their position. Marge is leading the way, as usual. There are a few women carrying pails behind her and a solo male with blonde hair bringing up the rear of the short water train.

Actions?

Luther R2 20/20
Chauncey MU2 10/10 CL, DM, RM, 2/2 first
Saracen 12/12 3/3 first
Avaala 5/5 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Rollo 15/17
Monocar F2 21/21
Alordan R2 13/13

Jaxsen 10/10

Jack 7/10 CL, DM, RM, 0/1 first (still short 2 hp's from resting on the 26th)
Lightfinger T2 10/10

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#237 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jax, hearing Marge's praise for the men, as well as her statement that they provided food for the hive, instantly puts him on good terms with them. He raises a hand from his water yoke in warding, and says, "You may want to stand back. I have some rotten ogre corpse all over me, and the smell is quite terrible." From the look of him, it is very likely true. The young man is covered in various colors of noisome ichors. Nonetheless, a beaming smile comes out from under it, and he waves at the men.
"There is no spoon."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#238 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

Avaala takes Luther's advice and begins to outline some precautions for the hunt as they walk along.

"First off, until we have the troll netted, surprise is our number one objective. If we can gain surprise, it increases the odds of success of all the following objectives, baiting, netting and killing. So once we get into position in the morning, we stay in the shadows of the trees, and we stay quiet."

"Whoever winds up being the bait for the troll needs to keep in mind the exact location of the net. Do not step on it or attempt to cross it. Not only does that risk getting caught in it, it also risks uncovering something that the troll can see. We don't know how smart it is, but I don't want to lose it because we underestimated its intelligence."

"Now, I want some input on this one, but I think we need to withhold ALL attacks, magical and physical, until the troll is in the net. We want him immobile first, and then we can hit him with everything we have with much less chance of him escaping."

"I want input on this, too. I think the net, once we have him in it, will hold him for at least a couple minutes. If you disagree, then whoever pulls the net over him, can tie off their ends on the tree trunks as well. It will take an extra moment or two, but what do you think? Is it necessary?"

"And we need to decide who is doing what. If our strongest pull the net over the troll, and then attack with the pikes, what is everyone else doing? I know what Chauncey and I will be doing, but everyone needs to know how they will attack before we spring the trap."
"There is no spoon."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#239 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Hearing news of an ogre corpse, Monocar looks at the rangers. "Bait?"

Hearing Avaala, he nods listening to each point. I agree we should trap him first. Then make every attack count. The nibblest of us, high DEX, should be the grenadeers. The strongest should ensnare and tie off the net before attacking with pikes. The extra step could make a huge difference in the end."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#240 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen nods as the others plan. ”I have something new I would like to try, to burn and blind him, burn waiitng until the net is closed over him seems like a sound plan. I can heave on the net before we attack, for my arms are strong. But I will need them to call upon my light magic so once old scraggy is in the net we need to secure it quickly.”
Greys Campaign.

Return to “Completed Missions”