Quest #8 "Bring Me The Sea Monsters Head"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #8 "Bring Me The Sea Monsters Head"

#122 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen looks at the cleric of magic and nods. "Can you heal him anymore this day? If you can carry my shield and flail I will carry him to the town and his shack once again." the holy champion offers.
Greys Campaign.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#124 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Coming Back Empty Handed
Minus One :(
Moonday 22nd of Reaping
Late Afternoon, Hot, Sunny, Buggy

Completely out of healing support, the crew makes their way back to Beachtown rejected and down one elf companion. There are no more sightings of the sea monster or anything else that would threaten their return. The only items they are able to save from the unfortunate Devrin are his long sword and his light helm. The rest of his possessions were dragged along with him into the depths of the sea monsters underwater lair, wherever that may be.

Combining their efforts, they are able to get the still unconscious Monocar carried back as well, eventually getting him safely to rest on his cot in the common house. Being that the man has been knocked out almost as often as he has been conscious so far during his time here, his full recovery seems questionable without magical healing.

It is late in the day by the time the crew arrives in Beachtown. Members regroup and set out about their personal business before the sun starts to set for the day and the darkness creeps in.

Alordan 9/10
Saracen Solaris 10/12 0/3 first
Jack 8/10 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Monocar -1/12 Unconscious (Dead at -7)
Luther 11/13
Raythan 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 0/1 first / 0/3 first (cleric)
[/quote]

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Urson »

Luther
The ranger returns to his hut and strips off his armor, spreading it in the remaining sunlight to dry. He checks his fish traps, even though he's pretty sure they're empty.

He begins making a list of supplies for the Monster Hunt, scratching symbols in the sand, since he's only marginally literate.

*Rope
*Spears or javelins
*A Sturdy Post
*Matting and scrap clothing for a dummy/lure
*Large fish hooks
*wooden stakes
*Firewood

OM: Approximately how far is it from the treeline to the water around the troll's lair?
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen will carry Monocar to his hut, dress his wounds and leave the Longsword and the elf helm at the foot of his hammock.

He will head back to town and see what has been happening here abouts, if there is any news of the foolish impatient group that rushed off to the native village, and then eat some rations and drink his fill of water, replenishing his skin at the water cistern.

Upon hearing about the zombie attack the half-orc will frown and shake his head. "We have to do something about this zombie menace soon," he mutters to himself as he traipses back to the shared hut. With several of his fellows away still he stretches out in his hammock and gets some peace and quiet.
Greys Campaign.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by ravenn4544 »

When back with the group, Alordan ponders their next steps. "I feel that we need to go back, with a better plan of course, and put that bastard out of it's misery - for the good of the town. It is too dangerous to be left out there - anyone going back and forth to the river for water will be at risk. Not to mention our desire to help the Monkoons and make peace with these potential allies." He'll reflect quietly and shudder a bit at the graphic and violent nature in which his comrade met his fate. The image of that wound will haunt Alordan for many many nights to come....

After a few minutes he shudders again and comes back to focus on the matter at hand. "How do we take down such a massive beast? It seems that sea itself seemed to heal it - perhaps a trap or a net or way to keep in onshore once we can lure it up. if we can indeed to that. I'm hoping it won't be too difficult as it must eat a lot, but how to do it that we don't jeopardize any more of our team? Maybe we can be the bait.... "

Time permitting Alordan will inquire with any of the town fisherman or sailors for what types of netting is available for purchase or commissioning. He will also inquire at the fisherman, sailors, and finally the barkeep in the treehouse for anyone that may be able to shed more light on the habits or encounters with this foul beast - and his intent to rid it from the town.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#128 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Urson wrote:OM: Approximately how far is it from the treeline to the water around the troll's lair?
The beach is rather wide in that general area. There is about 50 feet or so of sand between the water and the jungle.

I will keep this thread open until the mission is completed. So, if there is any planning, organizing, or recruiting that you want to do, it can all be done right here. Thanks!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#129 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Saracen hears nothing in the way of information about the group that went back to the river. There was never any mention of when they would return and so far, there is no indication that they have or will anytime soon. With Wes still away, the warrior priest takes advantage of the extra space in the shack to stretch out and rest.

Alordan speaks his desire to form a better plan and return to the sea monster area again soon. When the sun begins to set, the ranger sees a few small boats pulling up on shore. Knowing them to be the towns fishermen, he goes over to them to help unload their meager catch of the day, again definitely not enough fish to fed the entire town.

He learns that they don't use fishing nets in their smaller boats, instead using line, hook, and bait, periodically pulling in average size fish.

Random Fishermen
"We used to get a lot of fish in this area, but our catches have gotten smaller and smaller over the last several weeks. We fear that trying to provide fish for the whole town might be depleting this area too much. We have had to go further up the coasts and out into dangerously deep waters to get enough to even feed ourselves and our immediate families."

"If we had some bigger boats and bigger crews, we could try netting for more fish. But the style we use wont matter much once this area is completely fished out."

"Most of us are aware that the sea troll lives in that area of the beach. We don't mess with that one. He is big enough to capsize one of our boats, so we sail clear of him all together. Normal fishing nets wont work on him. He is too big and powerful. If you had some stronger nets, used for hunting or fighting, that might work a little better for you."

"He is smart enough to know that he cant take on a large group all by himself, but anything that straggles up or down the beach alone seems to be fair game for him. His hide is as thick as a whales tooth and his claws are like spears. I cant imagine what a bite from that mouth could do to a man, either. If you plan on going after that one.......good luck!"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen listens to the ranger carefully. "Indeed, a plan would be wise, for a change. If we could lure it half way up the beach, it might be possible to blind it with a light spell, or cause it to flee from the sea with a fear curse, and perhaps if we have some oil and some torches we may be able to burn it and damage it permenantly, and put it at a disadvantage maybe?"
Greys Campaign.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

Jack goes to bed and immediately falls into the deep, untroubled sleep of a child...

...until the crack of dawn.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#133 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Plans and ideas are discussed for taking the large monster down for good. After trying to dry out his clothes and armor, Luther scribbles a picture list of a few things down in the sand outside his shack. Saracen gets Monocar put down for the night as Alordan goes to the tavern to talk to Randall.

Little Jack is pooped after a hard day of adventuring. He goes to his shared shack and sleeps like a baby. Raythan also cleans up and goes off to rest, anticipating a busy morning ahead.

Go ahead with any more actions, ideas, or suggestions. Once everyone is ready to go, we can advance this group along to the morning.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Urson »

Luther

After the ranger checks his fish traps- finding only two small fish for his efforts- he cleans the fish, re-sets his traps, and makes the rounds to the other shacks, asking the folks who were on the beach to meet him under the TreeHouse in the morning. Pa always said, 'tired is stupid', so let's wait till morning to try and plan our next move.

The big ranger does basic maintenance on his gear and goes to sleep.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#135 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Next Morning..........

Bring Me the Sea Monsters Head
Godsday, 23rd of Reaping
Early Morning, Partly Cloudy, Hot, Buggy

Luther makes the rounds before going to sleep, telling all the members of his party to regroup at the Treehouse at first light. He spends the rest of his evening drying out his gear and doing light maintenance to his weapons and equipment.

The night passes by uneventfully. In the morning, the ranger collects his gear and goes to meet up with the others. He sees no sign that the group that traveled to the river ever made it back.

Monocar wakes up in the crowded common house, unsure of how he got to bed again. He does not feel the best today and is fighting off some serious health effects of yesterdays near drowning ordeal.

Each member of this group has expressed their desire to move along. I will figure in any natural healing from resting for the night, but only for the members of this particular group. If anyone else is planning on accompanying this group, I will move them along to the morning and figure in their healing as well. Go ahead and make any arrangements you want to make. If you want to recruit others, feel free to do that right here as well. Chauncey, Sotha, Lightfinger, and Avalaa are all in town.

Alordan 10/10
Saracen Solaris 12/12 3/3 first
Jack 10/10 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first
Monocar 1/12
Luther 13/13
Raythan 6/6 CL, DM, RM, 1/1 first / 3/3 first (cleric)

Bluehorse, please make one more system shock roll at -10 for Monocar to see if he suffers any ill effects from the last two ordeals of unconsciousness and drowning. Success will mean that he is good to go. Failure will leave him sickly (-1 to attack rolls) for 1d4 days and also result in the permanent loss of 1 point of Constitution. :shock: Good luck! (still better than death)

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

"Everyone! Wake up! It's time to go adventuring!"

When the grownups keep sleeping, he mopes out of the shack and begins snooping around Beachtown at dawn looking for trouble, adventure and/or pancakes.

Eventually he makes his way to the Treehouse.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan sees the shape that Monocar is in from his harrowing ordeal the day before. We may need today to prep and plan and let this fellow here rest - we are likely to need his muscle in taking down this dangerous beast.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by Inferno »

Jack, lost boy:

The eternal child scowls. Jack hates prepping and planning!
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen wakens, performs his ablutions, snacks on some dried biscuits and water and smears on his bug repellant and then performs his morning prayers out on the beach as the sun rises. The Orange robed half-orc then makes his way to Monocar, and offers the light healing magic to the giant man.

[1d8] = 2

He casts a second spell over the mountain that heals very little. Saracen thinks the near death experience must have really taken its toll on him.

[1d8] = 1

The holy warrior of Pholtus will absolutely refuse to return to the beach with any crazy loons wishing to go and lure the sea troll out without being at full capacity and without most of his magic. He will agree to go on the morrow when his magic has had a chance to fully recover, otherwise those willing to try are on their own. The Orange robed fighter/cleric will tend to Monocar for the day, and restock on the herbs necessary to make some more of the insect repellant and make some more of the unguent for the rest of the day.
Greys Campaign.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#140 Post by SirOwen »

Avalaa

Since he needs to let the desk he is making allow itself to swell and lock the joints in today, Avalaa rises early, puts Rollo's armor on and takes a walk around the village. He has heard rumors of monsters on all sides, so he is careful not to leave the inhabited areas just yet. Noting Saracen coming from the beach towards the shacks, Avalaa nods politely, but does not interfere with the man's duties.

He sees a young elf boy walking toward the Treehouse, but again doesn't speak. Avalaa wonders how safe it can be for a lone child to walk around with all the monsters he has heard about."Perhaps the situation is not quite so dire as I was led to believe, eh, Rollo?" And then he recalls the zombie monstrosity of the night before. 'Who am I kidding? TEN Magic Missiles didn't kill it!' he thinks to himself.
"There is no spoon."

Return to “Completed Missions”