Quest #7 "Making Friends With The Monkoons"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #7 "Making Friends With The Monkoons"

#141 Post by Urson »

Luther
Owen! Are you well? Luther calls out to the lumberjack, hoping his voice isn't taken for a threat. Facing the Chief of the Phanatons, Luther keeps his eyes lowered and his hands spread, palms forward.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar

Hands over the trophies.... or more to point, doesnt resist them being taken. He looks after the fish longingly. There goes dinner...

He looks up and sees Owen and the chief and grins elbowing Scaracen and pointing. "They look chummy. This might be a good sign."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#143 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

It occurs to Avaala that, with things being at a crucial point, anything he does might have more serious ramifications than he intends. He smiles, mouth closed as he saw the others do, and slowly stands up. "Time for learning and teaching later," he says to Chauncey.
"There is no spoon."

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#144 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Brother Gilbert

He stands quite still and watches the interactions with amazement. He is impressed with the intelligence of the strange small creatures, and decides that annoying them would be a bad idea.
SpinwardMarch

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#145 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Concentration Is Key
Sunday, 28th of Reaping
In The Village In The Sky
Mid Afternoon, Sunny, Humid, Buggy

I will deal with each individual group in the same post here to save some time.

The chief walks right up to Chauncey and Avaala on their distant central platform, still holding the smoky glass sphere in his tiny hand. Owen stays at the furry creature’s side the whole time, but remains silent and allows the well-liked leader to take control of the tense situation as the hundreds of other phanatons look on. He grasps the sphere in both of his hands and concentrates hard as he speaks to the pair of mages.

“Welcome, groundlings! It has been told to me that you types with no hide or metal covering your bodies are the smarter ones of your kind. If that is true, then I will speak to you first. Please tell me who you both are and explain your intentions to improve the already tenuous relations with our tribe.”

Not saying another word, he waits for the pair of mages to answer him before bowing politely and heading to the next platform. There he and Owen meet up with Monocar and Saracen. Again, the chief squints his eyes tightly in deep concentration as he stares at the glass ball in his hands.

“Tell me your names then, and how it is you managed to take down such a formidable foe as the sea monster. Please explain how you used the rays of the great orb to burn the monster such as you did. That type of power is unknown to us.”

Once the pair is satisfied with the answer, they slowly move along to the platform holding Luther, Lightfinger, Alordan, and the groups newest recruit, brave Brother Gilbert. The charming chieftain obviously recognizes the burly ranger from their initial visit, when he asked for the troll’s head. He seems very impressed that the human was able to make good with his promise of help. He bows to the man before concentrating deeply once again.

“Hello again kindred one. I see that you have fulfilled your word to me. I am quite impressed. Enough so to allow the release of our mutual friend Owen. But first, allow me to question you and your 3 friends once again.” Not looking up from his glass ball, he continues speaking in the common tongue.

“Tell me each of your names please, and why you have come to this place where you clearly do not fit in.”

All the while the rest of the phanatons watch on in quiet amazement at the words of their leader, clearly not understanding anything that is coming out of his mouth.

Actions?

Luther R2 2/20
Chauncey MU2 10/10 CL, DM, RM, 0/2 first
Saracen 12/12 0/3 first
Avaala 3/5 CL, DM, RM, 0/1 first
Rollo 14/17
Monocar F2 21/21
Alordan R2 13/13
Lightfinger T2 10/10
Brother Gilbert 8/8 3/3 first

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar
OGRE MAGE wrote:

Not saying another word, he waits for the pair of mages to answer him before bowing politely and heading to the next platform. There he and Owen meet up with Monocar and Saracen. Again, the chief squints his eyes tightly in deep concentration as he stares at the glass ball in his hands. 

“Tell me your names then, and how it is you managed to take down such a formidable foe as the sea monster. Please explain how you used the rays of the great orb to burn the monster such as you did. That type of power is unknown to us.”

MMM is beaming with excitementat the super cute racoon person speaking with them. A big grin on his face, he is already taking a BIG breath!
Last edited by Bluehorse on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen moves quickly forward and stomps on the big man’s toes. Rein it in Monocar, focus!” he hisses, before stepping forward one step and bowing.

”My name is Saracen Solaris, and I am a holy champion of Pholtus, the blinding light, a god of all things radiant. The spell I used is of my own devising, one that the Blinding Light bestows upon me for my true devotions. I can, with time, share the teachings of my God to you and yourpeople, should you wish it. Those who may be chosen could potentially learn the light magic at my command. No pressure. Team work and good strategy overcame the trolls defences, and a good dose of luck. Is Lwen free to leave now?”
Greys Campaign.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan speaks succinctly and concisely about how he is here to help ally the peaceful and productive creatures that dwell on this island. He recounts, sadly, the fate of Devlin and his brave and fearless attempt to also help those of this island in need. To make the final sacrifice in the pursuit of noble peace. He hopes that those here, the monkoons, and the villagers can work together to thrive.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#150 Post by SirOwen »

Avaala

Avaala makes a shallow bow to the Phanaton leader. "I am Avaala the Grey. My friend is Chauncey, Master of our Mage's Guild. We wish to make amends for the horrible treatment your people have suffered from other humans. We hope you will understand that we are not the same as those people, and that we will not allow that to happen again. We want to be friends, and to find some way to live together."

Avaala then defers to Chauncey, to add to, or correct anything he said.
"There is no spoon."

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#151 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Brother Gilbert

I am Brother Gilbert, and new to the island. I wish no harm to any living being.

Note: Sorry, Saracen, I forgot to write down which god B. Gilbert follows and got it wrong in my post. He is in training for the priesthood of Pelor, also a sun god. -SM.
SpinwardMarch

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Bluehorse »

Monocar
Storm11 wrote:Saracen moves quickly forward and stomps on the big man’s toes. Rein it in Monocar, focus!” he hisses, before stepping forward one step and bowing.
Bites his lower lip and groans tensly, trying not to cry out, studdenly standing very straight and nodding. He wonders if his toes are now flat as he listens to Scaracen speak.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger!

The Halfing exudes, smiling brightly.
Tell me each of your names please, and why you have come to this place where you clearly do not fit in.
Why, quite simply, because I do not fit in where I came from. And like Lavalaa said, we'd like to stop the abuses to your people, even tho most were unintentional, from the other settlers here. I can truly understand your situation, being small myself. Still, even with all that has happened between you and the settlers, surely in your wisdom you can see they would make far better allies than adversaries.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by ChubbyPixie »

SirOwen wrote:Avaala

Avaala makes a shallow bow to the Phanaton leader. "I am Avaala the Grey. My friend is Chauncey, Master of our Mage's Guild. We wish to make amends for the horrible treatment your people have suffered from other humans. We hope you will understand that we are not the same as those people, and that we will not allow that to happen again. We want to be friends, and to find some way to live together."

Avaala then defers to Chauncey, to add to, or correct anything he said.
”It is, indeed, true,” says Chauncey. ”We are the smartest.” He stands erect, fingers steepled and continues. ”And, quite as my compatriot has said, we do wish to be on friendly terms - it is only logical that we should be thus, given our proximity. Perhaps, going forward, we can trade services - services such as the disposing of the troll - for knowledge that you and your kind possess of these woods and the secrets contained therein, and thereby be of mutual benefit, one to the other. Where there is mutual benefit, there is friendship.” He bows slightly, then indicates Avalaa and himself. ”Incidentally, Avalaa and I are skilled in the arcane arts, such as that which powers your speaking orb. A fine magical artifact, I might add. Perhaps from time to time our newly formed Magic Guild might provide you some arcane service. For example, were you to have in your possession other similar artifacts, but were not aware of their specific function - we could examine them for you. You have but to ask.”

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by Urson »

Luther

Luther nods to the chief. I am called Luther. I came to this islend for adventure, and because I am interested in helping the other groundlings build a safe colony here. I am glad to accept a gift, but I would have joined the fight against the troll anyway- it attacked my people as well as yours.

I will be joyful if we can find a way to share the land without fighting.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#156 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Reaching An Accord
Sunday, 28th of Reaping
In The Village In The Sky
Mid Afternoon, Sunny, Humid, Buggy

Once he has made the rounds to all three groups, listening intently to each of your responses, the phanaton leader sadly places his round stone carefully back into his leather side pouch. He looks up at Owen and touches his chest, then puts two fingers to his lips before pointing at your individual groups. Owen nods his head at the motion and begins speaking. He shouts loud enough for everyone to hear from their different platforms.

“The chieftain can only use the power of his magic stone a total of 3 times per day. Since I have no other way to communicate with them without it, he asked me to translate his intentions to you all once the magical power is spent.”

“They are interested in seeking a peace with us groundlings. That is what they call us. They are concerned about us cutting down their trees. That is why they captured me in the first place. I have spoken with him a few times now and I believe he is sincere about his wish to coexist with us as mutually beneficial neighbors.”

“As a reward for killing the troll, he has agreed to offer each of you a large breadfruit. They only grow in the highest of branches up here. I think it is a staple of their normal diet. Once roasted, it is quite delicious and a very hardy food source.”

Once Owen has stopped talking, the chief chatters out something loudly as he waves his lanky arms above his head. This action causes a raucous reaction from the rest of the treefolk. They jump around and chatter loudly with each other in a strange celebration. Each of you is handed a cantaloupe sized piece of the weird green bumpy-skinned globes of the breadfruit by a nearby phanaton.

The chieftain moves back to the central platform where one curious monkoon still can’t take his eyes off Avaala’s floppy hat, going so far as trying to poke at it with his long furry index finger. A few of the others stare at Chauncey intently as they also try to steeple their fingers together in the same manner as the well-spoken wizard.

One of the tree dwellers rushes up to Lightfinger, possibly remembering him from his former meeting. He stands up tall next to the halfling, holding his furry hand flat over his head trying to measure the halflings height against his own. He jumps about wildly around the slightly taller thief.

Another phanaton struts right up to the burly ranger Luther and brushes up against his hairy arm with mild curiosity. A third moves in close to Brother Gilbert, jumping up onto his shoulder with amazing grace and dexterity. As he perches up on the cleric of Pelor, he starts patting the pious man’s bald spot with his furry palm, squealing loudly to his nearby friends.

Owen speaks up over the excitement again.

“These tree folk are quite numerous and inhabit a large portion of the nearby island. They would like to point out to us where each of their clans live and have asked me to make sure that no more of their jungle is destroyed. If anyone has other questions about them, I will be happy to try to answer. The chief did mention one more thing that might interest some of you.”

Actions?

Luther R2 2/20
Chauncey MU2 10/10 CL, DM, RM, 0/2 first
Saracen 12/12 0/3 first
Avaala 3/5 CL, DM, RM, 0/1 first
Rollo 14/17
Monocar F2 21/21
Alordan R2 13/13
Lightfinger T2 10/10
Brother Gilbert 8/8 3/3 first

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by Urson »

Luther

When the Phanaton brushes against his arm, Luther gently turns his hand, palm out, toward the little fella, offering more contact if it wants. He takes a gulp from his waterskin, trying to fortify himself, as he is still gravely wounded.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by ravenn4544 »

Alordan agrees to help talk to the towns people about where the monkoons are located and that they should be avoided. "Owen, as you can imagine, the trees are an important resource for the town - is there a place that is safe to harvest lumber? And this other thing of interest you mention, please let us know about that also."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by Storm11 »

Saracen bows his head as he accepts the breadfruit from the creature.

He then turns to Owen. ”Can you return with us now to Beachtown? Are you free to leave now the troll is dead? What else is there that may be of interest to us? I for one am intrigued.”

He glanced at Monocar and raises his garish bushy brows.
Greys Campaign.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger

The Thief smiles impishly and bends his knees slightly so the curious Monkoon could appear slightly taller than himself. His manner turns to mild disappointment when presented with a fruit for his labors. He gestures to the Troll head and the the fruit, twice, before deciding he should be content not to be boiled alive.

Return to “Completed Missions”