Monk's Get Thirsty Too: (Jaxsen's side quest)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Monk's Get Thirsty Too: (Jaxsen's side quest)

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I should have done this a little sooner, but I want to move this out of the "town thread" now since you are no longer in town and might be facing a combat scenario.

After a long, early morning walk to the river, the water gatherers learn that they are not the only ones in need of fresh water........

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Monk's Get Thirsty Too: (Jaxsen's side quest)

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

OGRE MAGE wrote:When the group gets a few hundred yards from reaching the river, they spot a few animals around, drinking and bathing at the sandy shore wher the river feeds into the sea. They look like huge, buck toothed rats from this distance, possibly around three or so feet long. There appears to be around 5 of them in all.

Marge stops the train and squats low, looking at Jaxsen and then back to the creatures at the shore. She points to one more slightly larger animal that she spots up at the edge of the jungle, watching over the others.
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG (96.48 KiB) Viewed 777 times

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

SirOwen wrote:Jaxsen Reiter

"Normally," says Jaxsen, very quietly. "I would suggest we just wait for them to finish and then take our turn. Or maybe just move up, passively, and share the water."

He hesitates a moment and then goes on, "But I noticed that there is not a lot of food in town. Do you think the people would eat such creatures? I could try to bring down one or two of them." He looks directly at Marge. "It is not my decision to make. It will be as you say."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Marge turns with a scowl and looks upon Jaxsen as if he had just grown a second head.

"You're damn right we're eatin em! Those things are huge!"

The woman looks around a bit longer, studying the movements of the large jungle varmints.

"We have seen these creatures before. Not the smartest animals out there, but they do pack a wicked bite. They are good eatin, though. There's enough meat on one of them things to feed a family for a week!"

"When we first arrived, these things were everywhere. Since it was an easy source of food, they were hunted out for miles around. I thought they were all gone till I saw these."

"That big one is our target. Unless you think we could really get more than one?"

The rest of the group is basically unarmed save for a few hunting knives and walking sticks. Marge pulls out her only protection, a small, finely crafted dagger.

Let me know if you'd like a position map. Otherwise, just wing it. :D

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by SirOwen »

I don't need a map, but I do need to know if there is a low rise from which I can approach the leader/lookout?
Last edited by SirOwen on Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no spoon."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

"Then we shall hunt them," says Jax. "I will try to get close enough to use my javelins on the leader. I have not hunted this prey before. What else do you think I should know?"
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The beach is pretty flat other than a short 2' ridge of sand at the tide line. If you belly crawled through the surf, you could get to within 25 feet of the alpha male. There is some cover from the foliage that grows rough out of the tree line, but the elevation there is the same as where the creatures are. The big boy is in a grassy area about ten feet off of the tree line and 20 or so feet from the river.
Marge

"They are as fast as a man, but pretty easy to outsmart. They can run through the underbrush faster than you can, though. So, once there gone, forget about it. You will never catch them in there. We should work together to try to keep them out in the open where we can see em."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen nods. "Can any of you throw?" he asks, looking around at all the women. "I have four javelins. If I don't stop him with two, and he is running towards you, can any of you use the other two?"

"What do you think about this?" deferring to Marge once again. "If I crawl through the surf to get close enough for a throw and, if I miss, try to drive him this way?"
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The women all look around at each other and shrug when asked if they can use a javelin. Jaxsen gets no takers on lending out his pointy sticks.

Marge shakes her head at his idea.

"Well, I'm no expert in combat, but if you come at them from the sea, and miss, they will all flee into the jungle and be long gone."

She looks around at the others again, knowing that her group is made up of entirely non-combative personnel. She thinks long and hard before finally giving her opinion.

"If you want to crawl through the surf, and come at them from the sea, that's fine. But at least let a few of us try to sneak through the jungle and come in behind them first to prevent them from running off straight away. The longer we keep them out in the open, the better chance we have of bagging one of them. If you scare them off, we will not get a second chance."

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

"As you say, Marge,"says Jax. "If it eases your mind at all, I run very fast. If it turns into a chase in the open, I think I can still catch these things. Also, if you encounter anything threatening in the edge of the trees, call for me. We can always find more food. I will not risk any members of our hive."

Jaxsen keeps his halberd on his back, but pulls two of his javelins out, keeping them in his hands. He waits for Marge's group to start towards the trees and then he moves to the low rise along the tide line and starts low crawling around the beavers, heading for their leader.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Marge shrugs her shoulders and nods her head, glad that the man is at least preaching caution. Three of the groups more feeble members stand guard over the pails while several others sneak towards the tree line. After a short time, the other women disappear into the foliage, moving towards the animals under the cover of the dense vegetation.

Jaxsen belly crawls through the lapping surf to get as close to their leader as possible without alerting them to his presence. Though he cant actually see them from his position on the beach, he is certain that the others have had all the time they needed to get themselves in place at the edge of the trees.

The monk spots his target lounging in the grassy area at the edge of the trees, now just 25 feet away. The other animals remain close to the fresh water in the river.

Action?

positions:
IMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1277.JPG (844.56 KiB) Viewed 730 times

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen decides that the ones closest to the river are a lost cause, too fast to stop from making the bank. He pops up (at X) and throws one of his javelins at the leader. Hit or miss, he runs a line (black lines) designed to keep the leader from the river and force him towards the women in the tree line.

Map update:
Img_1277a.jpg
Img_1277a.jpg (646.14 KiB) Viewed 727 times
Jaxsen w/ Javelin to hit [1d20-2] = 9-2 = 7
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As Jaxsen rises to his feet and rushes in between the alpha male and the others, the women slowly begin walking out of the jungle. They stand ready at the tree line with makeshift staffs in there hands fashioned from fallen limbs they found in the bush.

Jaxsen rushes his shot as he advances, missing the lone creature with his attack. He is happy to see that he seems to have surprised the group though, as they don't react to his presence until after he tosses his short spear. The large rodent jumps up from his lounging spot, not sure if he should run for the group or off into the trees. Three of the group near the river bunch up close together, possibly as a natural defense mechanism. The other 2 spook easily and flee up the river bank, They disappear up the jungle trail that parallels the river and are soon long gone. None of the creatures jumps into the water, confounding the monk slightly as to their actual identity.
2capybaras-1-640x480.jpg
2capybaras-1-640x480.jpg (262.05 KiB) Viewed 723 times
The large solo animal sets back on its hunches and snorts, as if it is about to rush in for an attack.

Actions?

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Thankful for what he perceives as his good luck, Jax takes the opportunity to throw his second javelin at the leader.

Jaxsen w/ Javelin to hit [1d20-2] = 9-2 = 7

Faring no better with his second cast, Jax unslings his halberd, trying to get it out before the furry animal attacks.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gathering Water At The River
Earthday, The 25th of Reaping
Mid Morning, Hot, Humid, Buggy
That's No Beaver! Round 1

The huge jungle rodent is able to duck Jaxsen's second javelin throw as well, spinning around wildly in confusion as it looks from the human, back to the line of staff wielding women now blocking it's safe route back into the trees. It notices that the man is only coming at him and not trying to harm his harem at the river.

The creature charges at the monk as he readies his pole ax for battle. Baring its long, nasty, curved incisors, it tries to bite at the unarmored monk who is just able to side step the vicious attack.

Actions!

Jaxsen 10/10

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen pivots and turns towards the creature as it misses its attack as well. He strikes with the halberd in a downward stab, hoping to pin it to the ground, even if the blow doesn't kill it.

Jaxsen w/ Halberd to hit [1d20] = 19

Jaxsen w/ Halberd Damage vs. S,M [1d10] = 5

OOC: Damage with a weapon adds 1/2 hp per level, so if Jax hits it again, he gets 1 additional hp of damage.
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

That's No Beaver! Round 2

Once the melee starts, the other furry creatures near the water begin to move away from the battle. They hug the riverbank and head towards the jungle trail to the north. The women move over in that direction to see if they can block their escape.

Jaxsen tries to pin the big capybara to the soft ground with his halberd. The blade cuts into the animal and it squirms violently, causing itself more damage, but also able to make its escape from being pinned. It strikes again at the much faster monk, nipping his leg slightly with its gnashing teeth. 3 dam

Actions!

Jaxsen 7/10

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen continues to attack the capybara while keeping himself between it and escape.

Jaxsen w/ Halberd to hit [1d20] = 10

Jaxsen w/ Halberd Damage vs. S,M [1d10] = 6
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

That's No Beaver! Round 3

The thickly furred animal spins around wildly and quickly, dodging this way and that. Jaxsen has trouble tracking its chaotic movements and is unable to hit it with enough force to injure it further.

Taking advantage of the monk's confusion, it strikes again and slices open a gash in the mans thigh. 3 dam

The woman gasp loudly after each new wound Jaxsen receives, distracting them from keeping the fleeing females corralled.

Actions!

Jaxsen 4/10

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by SirOwen »

Jaxsen Reiter

Jaxsen, realizing that the animal is more dangerous than he originally believed, tries to end the confrontation quickly. He gives back about a half step, to increase the stroke and power of his halberd and tries for a final, killing stab.

Jaxsen w/ Halberd to hit [1d20] = 16

Jaxsen w/ Halberd Damage vs. S,M [1d10] = 8

OOC: Since this is his second weapon hit, Jax scores 1 more hit point damage.
"There is no spoon."

Return to “Completed Missions”