Quest #6 "Return To The River"

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #6 "Return To The River"

#21 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

Bonnie seems disinterested in the arguing and turns to Krystal "So...how about this weather?"

She smiles, then asks "Did you find that guy you were looking for?"

While chatting, she keeps an eye out for these water creatures she was told about, looking on the ground for areas of damp earth.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Spearmint »

Miss Tal'

"Finding this mage Harold seemed a loss, the girl at the store said she would pass a message on. Not sure what this Lightfinger fellow was about, I thought he could help find the guy but he was all 'nudge, nudge, wink, wink' with Nalissa and left to seek the monkoonies. Thank you for the sausage! I think there is more to the loggers than Burt and Ernie let on but I would be surprised to find them still there if I go up trail again. I think the plant people will vegetate them. maybe the are 'stalking' us now? " Krystal tries a pun and notes Wes's warning of creatures spotting us from the trees.

"if the villagers were killed by these undead river fiends, after feasting on their bodies, would they rise up also as newly resurrected undead cKeilif. We should be wary of being surrounded and surprised.!"

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#23 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesuder

The dwarf listens to Wes' entreaty and decides he makes sense, responding in a low voice so only the druid can hear. Wes, I will continue on with you, keeping the word I gave back in town. I try to be a man of honor, so I will uphold my duty and help trying to figure out what happened to the people of this village. I'm done listening to the cleric. He seems to live in some strange world where all humans are friendly and kind, and would never think of hurting anyone. His view may get himself killed someday; I just hope nobody else gets hurt as a result. He will continue on towards the village with the group.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris

"Well we got pincered trying to take cover in trees over there, a grisly long frothy tongue beast came at me from the riverside, another got 'rooted' to the spot charging there,"the gnome points with his chopping cleaver in hand and then whispers to Wes,"see what I did there, 'rooted' to the spot, bigging up your earthly plant talents see, in front of the ladies like."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#25 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Up The River Trail
Mid Morning, Hot, Sunny, Humid, Buggy

Wes is able to convince Brufrig to stay, despite his sour feelings for the goody-goody cleric. The party gets back to business, resuming their mission to find and help the native villagers.

As you move up the tight jungle trail, the many branches, fronds, and low hanging leaves in the path tear at your face and any other exposed skin. So much so that you start to long for the nice wide loggers road again. The insects resume their onslaught almost immediately after you renter the bush. Their usual din is stifled only by the sounds of the rushing river just over a high bank to your right. Wes sees many footprints of humans and animals alike in the dirt as you move along further into the jungle. He also sees many human sized boot prints here and there along the way. Ferris and Wes start to recognize some of their surroundings as they lead the way deeper into the dark forest.

Nearing the first village, you pass through a tight spot in the trail where many dried palm leaves litter the ground. As you cautiously advance through it, Franny's boot catches on a vine below the leaves. As a natural reaction, she pulls her foot away hard, trying to free it. There is a slight tension on the vine, but it breaks away easily and harmlessly. A few seconds later, you hear the sound of a heavy branch crashing into the water, but again, nothing comes of it.

Just up ahead, the trail widens out into a small clearing in the forest. By the smell of burnt wood on the air, you realize that you have reached the first riverside village. About a dozen burned thatch huts are scattered around this small clearing. You also see a few burnt wooden structures built into and around several of the trees a few feet off of the ground. The one thing that Wes and Ferris notice right off is the lack of dead bodies laying around on the ground that they saw last time they entered this place. The scene of their last vicious battle here lies just up ahead and out of sight beyond the first few huts. Keilif stands there with his mouth agape as tears of sorrow and pain run down his dirty cheeks. "Who would do something like this to these innocent people?"

Actions?

Ferris 5/7 DM, RM, 1/1 first
Waesfaren Rhey 10/10 4/4 first
Bonnie 6/6
Krystal 5/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Franny Buurlslammer 12/12
Brufrig Granitesunder 15/15
Keilif 9/9 3/3 first

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#26 Post by Hotgoblin »

Franny responds quickly to Kelif, Keep yur voice down, we're probably being watched. She takes a defensive stance as she surveys the area.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#27 Post by OGRE MAGE »

:oops: Sorry for the confusion on the double post. :oops:

It won't happen again......today.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris

Will move towards the tree that he sheltered behind then decide to sneak to it in a roundabout way. "If anyone watching has found my pickbow they could be in the very same spot waiting and watching. Would not be right to be killed by your own weapon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#29 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Keilif nods his head at Krystal's assumption about the undead monsters victims coming back.

"Ghouls don't burn and pillage. They just hate......and eat. No way did undead do this. But who did?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#30 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Off The Tracks Trail
Midday, Hot, Humid, Buggy

As the tight trail opens up into the small clearing that follows the river on your right, you notice that there is a 10 foot muddy bank that drops down to the water level, making it impossible to see the water unless you move closer to the bank. Wes and Ferris remember this bank well as the last time they saw it, there were viscous undead water ghouls charging over it, rushing in to eat them.

The clearing is completely littered with nothing but burned thatch huts and burnt wooden platforms. There are still many drag marks scattered about that lead towards the water, but nothing of value looks to have been left behind.

As Ferris rounds the first burned hut, he immediately sees that his pickbow is laying on the ground, right where he dropped it. Unfortunately, it appears that the weapon is now being guarded for some reason, as one of the tall blue-grey monsters that almost killed him is there too, apparently walking in a clockwise circle around his prized pick. Ferris first spots the monster while it's back is still to the party, so he doesn't think that the hideous creature has spotted him yet.

Actions?

Positions:
L = Lacedon
L = Lacedon
IMG_0884.JPG (478.07 KiB) Viewed 453 times

Scott308

#31 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

Ugly suckers, ain't they? the dwarf whispers. He will load his hand crossbow. I think we should try to hit it with missile fire from a couple different locations, and see who it decides to attack. The rest of us can move in at that point. Any other ideas? I'm sorry, I forgot that we should wait for it to attack us first. Anyone wanna volunteer for that duty?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Spearmint »

Miss Tal'

"It seems to be acting kind of strange though. It would have no use for the weapon and I thought these undead had no living brains that could be compelled." Krystal readies her longsword and will sneak to the tree and shrubs on the left hand side. (looking up too in case another creature is lurking on the platform above!).

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

"Wes. You said that the native saved you and was then set upon by these creatures?" Bonnie thinks out loud for a moment "How long do you think it takes to turn after death?"

She turns to Keilif "If I'm right, that may be what's left of the native who helped them." She then says with a straight face:"This seems to be a gray area, wouldn't you agree?"

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris

The gnome feels the shudders down his spine as he remembers the grisly touch and icky-icky-sticky drooling tongue of the grey skinned beasts. Without missiles to fire and aware his strange arcane arts probably will not fascinate the creature, he decides to stay in cover, sneaking behind the she-wolf Krystal.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#35 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Blue Is The New Black

Keilif ignores the salty words from Brufrig. Instead of responding to the dwarf, he simply nods his head at what Bonnie says.
“I would guess that it wouldn’t take very long, but I have never experienced these water dwelling types of undead monsters before, so truthfully, I have no idea.”

Krystal sneaks over to the trees with Ferris right on her heels. They conceal themselves in the bush and move ahead, up to the nearby tree to get a closer look at the grey walker.

Much to the group’s horror, and while still walking in his tight circles, this grey skinned monster eventually turns to face them. Bonnie’s intuition proves accurate when Wes and Keilif both let out an audible gasp. They notice that, along with the blue-grey skin tone, sharp fangs, and long waggling red tongue flicking out of its mouth, this monster also has a bone stuck through his nose. It appears that this is indeed the native that enticed Wes and Ferris here just yesterday, now sadly turned into one of the ghoulish creatures that he tried to save them from. Oddly, the creature has what looks like crossbow bolts sticking out of it in many places. They don't appear to have been shot into it though, as they are hanging out of its skin loosely, as if they were thrown or poked into it. The monster either sees or senses living creatures nearby, now stopping his circles and staring directly at the hut that most of you are using for cover.

Actions?

Bonnie 6/6
Keilif 9/9 2/3 first

Krystal and Ferris are now behind the first tree to the left on the last map. Everyone else is tucked behind that first burnt hut.

Scott308

#36 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

The dwarf will aim his crossbow at the creature, trying to maintain cover the best he can, and wait to see what the creature does next.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Spearmint »

Krystal will hide in the undergrowth and wait to attack until the creature passes by. She hopes the others show enough flesh to provide a tempting treat for the hungry beast,"Go on Bonnie, flash a leg" she whispers.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

Bonnie whispers back "He's not my type. What was the saying growing up? If you go ghoul, you're a fool?"

Finally seeing that she has unwittingly been made the bait in a trap, Bonnie sighs. She pulls back on her bow and steps out of cover, ready to fire if it charges.

"Sir? Can I help you?"

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris

Looks at Bone-nose carefully trying to reason if the bolts have been thrown at him using the poor man as a pin cushion or dart board or they have been dangled from like as pieces of tribal body decorations. He has his meat cleaver ready to chop at the figure should it come close to him behind the platform tree.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#40 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Poor Bonenose

Once back in the thick bush, Krystal and Ferris notice the usual jungle noises in this area sound somewhat less loud than normal. Ferris can’t tell whether the bolts sticking from the ghoul’s skin were used as decoration, but the way they are randomly scattered throughout his disgusting blue form, he thinks probably not. However, for only being dead a day, Bonenose sure smells much worse than he did before.

The dwarves always seem ready for action. Brufrig aims with his crossbow while Franny draws forth her hand ax to let loose at the beast if it charges. Keilif and Wes stand behind them, readying their battle magic.

Krystal entices Bonnie to say hello, which luckily she does with her bow drawn back. As soon as she steps from behind the shell of the burned out hut, the monster instantly charges directly at her with an insane abandon. Its claws and teeth bared, it rushes forward with hatred glowing in its black, soulless eyes. He does not reply to the elf's question.

Actions!!!

Bonnie 6/6
Keilif 9/9 2/3 first

Brufrig, Franny, and Bonnie stated that they had a missile weapon ready, so they can post rolls for their ranged attacks first, and then (in the same post) make this next rounds action. (Bonnie will only get one shot off with her bow as it charges if she wants to draw a different weapon this round)

I would also like everyone to post a hard Wisdom check with this next action, please. Thanks!

Return to “Completed Missions”