Quest #6 "Return To The River"

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #6 "Return To The River"

#461 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

"Darn Cat! He's slippery, I'll give him that."

She turns to the Guard in the barn. "Let's drop the charade, shall we?" She starts walking slowly towards him, hips swaying seductively.

Bonnie stashes her bow and puts her finger up to her mouth. "Shhh. I just want to talk."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#462 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

Seeing "Big Fez" attack and knowing everything has just gone sideways, the dwarf mutters, Gods dammit! before firing his crossbow at one of the guards.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#463 Post by Spearmint »

Krystal

this seems to be going from bad to worse. She wonders if we are just dumb and dumber. After the dwarf and gnome attack, she draws her blade and swipes at the man clutching the bolt from Brufrig. Longsword melee [1d20+1] = 11+1 = 12 damage [1d8] = 8 and then takes off with the gnome."Bonnie, this way!". she calls.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#464 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Day 2, On The River Trail
The End Of The Line
Godsday, 23rd of Reaping
Early Evening, Hot, Humid, Buggy

As the last few moments of daylight fades away, all hell breaks loose in the massive clearing.

Aldo breaks away from the grasp of Bonnie and runs towards the barracks. He sees even more of the unarmored men rushing from the many buildings. They each carry a sword or some other similar weapon with them as they exit the huts. To avoid being kicked at, the quick moving cat leaps up onto one of the huts to stay safe during the initial onslaught. He sees that most of the men are rushing out of the same long thatch hut that must act as the crew’s quarters.

Bonnie attempts to swoon the guard accompanying her. She flicks her hair back and reassures the man that she only wants to talk. He exits the barn with her, obviously trying to separate the elf form the others. He suddenly notices that his groups welcome has just turned south when........

Ferris decides to take a “pot shot” at machete man, sticking him with a crossbow bolt while offering a rather transparent apology. The man looks down at his side in horror as blood starts to seep from the wound. Brufrig watches this happen and instinctively fires his crossbow as well, sticking the man with a second bolt.

The third guard who was coming in from the fields sees this all transpire and freaks out a little, shouting and waving his arms around as he closes the distance between he and Keilif. The wrinkled priest side steps his sword attack and swings out with his mace. His utter shock at this latest predicament proves to be too much to make an effective counter attack.

Krystal is also dumbfounded by the quick change to the group’s current situation. She instinctively slashes at the wounded machete man with her sword, dropping him to the ground quite dead. Ferris reaches down to grab up his pipe as Krystal shouts out to Bonnie that it might be a good time to leave this place.

The guard on Bonnie immediately starts shouting to his friends, already on their way towards the fight. He takes a halfhearted swing at Bonnie, but misses the nimble she elf. More and more of the unarmored men rush towards the direction of the group as they try to turn and run away. Words in the common language ring out behind them over the pounding waterfall.

"LAY DOWN YOUR ARMS AND SURRENDER IF YOU DONT WANT TO BE KILLED! THIS WILL BE YOUR ONLY WARNING!!! IF WE HAVE TO CHASE YOU, IT WILL ONLY MAKE THINGS WORSE!"

Something you should think about before posting your next action:
None of these sailors are wearing armor and they are all completely unencumbered. They will move at 12” and will easily overcome any slower moving party members. (that means everyone except for Aldo)

positions:
IMG_1417.JPG
IMG_1417.JPG (874.28 KiB) Viewed 435 times

Actions!

Ferris 6/7 DM, RM, 0/1 first
Krystal 4/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Keilif C2 7/15 2/4 first
Bonnie 6/6
Brufrig Granitesunder 11/15
Aldo 2/8

alone in the jungle:
Franny Buurlslammer 9/12 (private thread)

still in the clearing:
Waesfaren Rhey -1/10 2/4 first
(private thread)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#465 Post by Spearmint »

Krystal

Casts 'unseen servant' and legs it to jump into the nearest skiff on the river bank viewing that as the only means of escape.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#466 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris

Big Fez or is that Big F*%K Up makes a beeline for the skiffs along with Kystal and hopes she can float his boat as they escape down river. In order to distract the onrushing man close by the boats he casts a 'phantasmal force' of a giant fanged black widow spider which appears at the mans foot and quickly climbs up his legs.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#467 Post by Urson »

Aldo
Krise! Whatinhell are they doin'?
Aldo heads into the bunkhouse, walking calmly and acting like he owns the place- being a cat, basically. He looks around, sniffing at containers and jumping from bed to bed.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#468 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

While seeing the scene go from tense to chaos, she frowns at the half-hearted attempt to cut her. "I won't hold that against you, love."

She turns at the sound of her name, only to see Krystal bolting for the river. Bonnie judges the distance to the river when the shout from an apparent authority figure gets her full attention.

Raising her voice as well, she replies. "AH! CAPTAIN BING, I PRESUME. A PLEASURE TO FINALLY MEET YOU!"

She keeps her eyes on the nearby sailors, a wide smile on her face and her hands down by her sides.

Scott308

#469 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

Realizing they are in a lot of trouble, Brufrig tries to buy time for those making their way to the boat. He swings his halberd at the opponent nearby.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#470 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Night #2, On The River Trail
The End Of The Line
Godsday, 23rd of Reaping
Evening, Hot, Buggy

Most of the group does not like the idea of surrendering to these obvious drug smugglers. Krystal, Ferris, Brufrig, and Keilif start rushing for the skiffs at the bank of the river. The guard rushing at them from the fields starts to gain on them so the sea priest turns and shouts one simple word at the man.

“Flee!”

The man turns around and begins running back the way he came, preventing him from attacking the party from behind as they run away.

Brufrig does what he knows best, attacking the guard who is blocking the way for the others. His wide blade slices through the man’s guts, just barely hitting him but doing serious damage to his unarmored frame. Much to the horror of the other smuggler who is also closing in on the dwarf, he falls to the ground, bleeding out in the dirt. The other guard swings a longsword at Brufrig that glances off of his heavy armor. Another guard rounds the corner of the shack, ready to charge into the fray. Keilif rushes to the side of Brufrig, not wanting to leave the dwarf to fend for himself as he starts to draw more and more attention from the angry guards. The priest is starting to have second thoughts about attempting to navigate the raging river at night.

As darkness begins to descend upon the clearing, Krystal and Ferris decide to cast a spell before they make their watery escape. In all the commotion, the fighting illusionist forgets that his allotment of daily magic has already been spent creating green hornets earlier today.
If you are ever unsure about those things, you can always check the hit point/spell status at the bottom of these posts.
The elven woman intones magic words, quickly bringing an invisible mass of energy into existence before her as she starts working on getting the skiff into the water. She notices that the puling ropes attached to the skiffs are tied to a stake that is pounded into the muddy bank. Her and Ferris get the skiff pushed in enough for Ferris to hop aboard, but Krystal will need to untie or cut it from the stake before the pair can shove off.

While they attempt their escape, another guard rounds the corner of the barn and spots the skiff thieves. He begins to shout out at the top of his lungs. "HEY! THEY ARE OVER HERE! THEY ARE TRYING TO ESCAPE ON THE RAFTS! COME ON! LETS GO GET EM!"

Aldo the fat cat struts up the steps of the guards barracks and enters the building. He sees at least 20 hammocks strung up against the walls. There is a long table with many short stools around it. 3 men are still in this building. They have pulled what looks like crossbows off of the walls and are currently loading them with quarrels when the cat arrives.

Bonnie keeps a cool head, predicting that this will definitely not end well if she resists. She fake smooches with the guard that is trying to kill her, causing him to stop what he is doing and listen to her briefly. She spots the man who is shouting for her group to surrender, mistakenly thinking him to be the elusive Captain Bing. This man is unarmed and dressed in long, heavy robes, not the usual fare of the other pirates. As he closes in on her, he continues shouting.

"YOU WILL NOT BE HARMED IF YOU SURRENDER! WE ARE NOT LOOKING TO KILL ANYONE! WE JUST WANT TO TALK!"

As more of the guards reach her, she hears a disturbing comment from one of the men behind her.

"Oh, we are gonna have some fun with this one."

Actions!

positions:
The robed man is the X in the center, between the two barns closest to the river.
IMG_1429.JPG
IMG_1429.JPG (562.92 KiB) Viewed 395 times

Krystal 4/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Keilif C2 7/15 1/4 first
Bonnie 6/6
Aldo 2/8

alone in the jungle:

still back in the clearing:
(private thread)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#471 Post by Spearmint »

Krystal

"Untie the rope!" she calls to no one in particular as Beauregarde is summoned to assist. She stabs out at any grasping hands trying to pull her out the boat or cuts the rope as appropriate.

Longsword melee [1d20+1] = 13+1 = 14 damage [1d8] = 2

"Quick jump in!" she calls.

Scott308

#472 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

With grim determination, Brufrig grits his teeth and slashes at the pirate in front of him. He then looks around for his next victim.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#473 Post by Urson »

Aldo

The cat jumps onto the table, squalling. If he can interfere with the men loading their crossbows, he will.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#474 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris

sorry thought we had rested and studied while Krystal recovered.

Ferris, in the boat with the elf, fires his crossbow at the nearest guard and pushes the ground to give some leverage and launch the skiff into the current.

ferris crossbow [1d20+1] = 1+1 = 2 bolt damage [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#475 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

Bonnie makes a mental note of the voice behind her, focusing attention on the robed man. "Interesting. Please excuse my companions. They are understandably jumpy after days in the jungle."

She nods her head at the man. "I'm Bonnie. Who do I have the pleasure of meeting?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#476 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Night #2, On The River Trail
The End Of The Line, Round 2
Godsday, 23rd of Reaping
Evening, Hot, Buggy

At the bank of the heavily churning river, Krystal and Ferris are still quite determined to make their escape into the dark night on one of the bamboo skiffs. The elf’s unseen helper gets the rope untied and she commands it to get aboard. Ferris uses the time to fire his pick-bow at the other oncoming guard. The bolt tears through the invisible mass but doesn’t hit anything on shore. The guard doing the shouting reaches the bank just as the pair push off into the current. Krystal takes a wild swing at the approaching man when the raft begins to spin around uncontrollably as soon as it is free from the muddy river bottom. Another guard reaches the bank and the 2 of them begin to laugh out loud over the noise of the rushing water as one looks back at the neatly stacked pile of push poles against the barn.

“How do they plan on steering that thing with no poles?” Krystal hears the man exclaim over his laughing.
I need a normal Dex check from Ferris and Krystal in your next posts, please.

Inside the long hut that the men use as a barracks, Aldo jumps up at one of the men loading his crossbow. The cat is batted away by a backhand from the man as his bolt falls harmlessly to the wooden floor. The other 2 men point their weapons at Aldo as the first exclaims, “Shoot that damn thing! It cant be a normal animal! It must be a wizard……er something even worse! KILL IT!!!” The man steps aside as the other 2 aim their bows at the cat. “Any last words, wizard?”

Brufrig and Keilif continue to do battle with the oncoming rush of guards. Keilif swings out halfheartedly with his mace before deciding to take a different approach. He spots the fact that Bonnie is now completely surrounded by these men and he can also see that Ferris and Krystal are spinning out of control on the darkening waters. The priest drops his prized weapon to the ground and starts chanting softly to himself. Brufrig doesn’t care how many more guards there are, he just keeps on slicing them open as they arrive. Another human feels the effect of his dangerous blade and plops down dead on the ground at the dwarf’s feet. He is attacked again by another man who’s blade doesn’t penetrate his heavy armor.

Bonnie has enough common sense to avoid making any foolish moves with these obvious criminal types. She turns to the robed figure, an apparent leader type, and says hello as Brufrig continues killing the man’s friends. The middle aged, grisly and pale looking human nods at 2 others and Bonnie soon has her arms grabbed onto and held tightly. The robed man speaks loudly again.

“Hello Bonnie! Tell your friends to stop what they are doing and surrender if you want to live. If that dwarf dog kills any more of our men, you will all pay the price, I assure you!”

The elf notices at least 16 other men around the remaining party now, more than enough to prove the robed man could easily keep his word.

Actions!

positions:
IMG_1436.JPG
IMG_1436.JPG (562.42 KiB) Viewed 374 times

Krystal 4/5 CL DM RM 0/1 first (US: 69) 3/6
Keilif C2 7/15 0/4 first
Bonnie 6/6
Aldo 2/8

alone in the jungle:

still back in the clearing:

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#477 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

"No need to get handsy dears. I'm not going anywhere." Bonnie squirms a bit but doesn't resist.

She yells across to Brufig "Bru! Oh, Bru! So, yeah, if you could refrain from killing any more humans, that'd be great. Thanks!"

Turning back to the robed man. "Could you be a dear and find my cat for me, Mister...what should I call you?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#478 Post by Urson »

Aldo

Aldo squalls again, dodging as best he can and turning to jump off the table away from the bowmen.

IF he makes it, he'll double back under the table and slash at the nearest man's legs.

[1d20] = 14
[1d2] = 2

[1d20] = 6

Scott308

#479 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

Seeing 8 more corpses-to-be and knowing there are more that he can't see, Brufrig has them right where he wants them. Drawing back his halberd for another killing blow, he pauses when he hears Bonnie plea for him to stop. Halberd still at the ready, he glares menacingly at the smugglers surrounding him.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#480 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris

normal ability check [3d6] = 10

ideas , ideas, ...

The gnome balances precariously as the skiff twists in the current maelstrom before he settles in a steady stance. He drops his pack and pulls out a two long thin rods. They are attached by a thin piece of elastic string and a collar fixes the two in place together to form a longer strut. He has carried the tent he bought from Nalissa and tent poles all the way up the jungle and decides ponting downstream and out of danger to be a very good idea. While the bank side men laugh at his spinning he shouts to Brufrig, "C'mon jump for it."

Return to “Completed Missions”