Quest #6 "Return To The River"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Quest #6 "Return To The River"

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Moonday, 22nd of Reaping
Early Morning, Hot and Sunny

Ferris the gnome badly wants to go back to see if he can retrieve his weapon from the battle with the lacedons.

Wes and Keilif are very interested in finding the natives again and helping them in any way that they can.

Franny just seems bored and is looking for something exciting to do.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Quest #6 "Return To The River"

#2 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris

The little gnome checks himself out, poking his fingers between his ribs and massaging his muscles. "Thought I was going to be a half-eaten 'risen dead' next time I shuffled down from the river to Beachtown. My, that river ghoul had a fearsome touch and his long drooling tongue tasting the back of my neck ready to chomp me through. Oooh, I was glad its' paralyzing touch made all my muscles tense solid not relax otherwise I would have vacated my bowels along with my soul for sure." Ferris dramatizes the attack of the lacedons.

He waves his little meat cleaver fiercely at Franny the dwarf,"I still have my little chopper to go with your big ones (he hopes no innuendo is construed), and if these godly men come too we can surely drive back the creatures from whence they came. I think those there natives are pretty much ignored by the settlers here. It allows whoever chains them to get away with it.."

He looks a little closer at Franny, admiring the stone-sets adorning her cloaks."My is that a flame opal? Hmm it looks a bright one, oh you have some Moldavite too, how intricate. This Bone-Nose character, didn't he have more than bones piercing him?" he says, turning his gem smithing knowledge."There are lots more 'Shinies' out there you know, that is what Shiny Island is famed for."

Counting more fingers on his stubby hands than comrades, Ferris decides to visit the Hi-Lo in search of other likely adventurers before we set out again.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The druid Wes sees the shaky gnome out and about and is glad to see that he is feeling much better. He rushes up to his comrade.

"I see you survived the night, friend. You look no worse for wear to my eyes. I have been waiting to disclose the last bit of your tale until you were up for it."

"After you were incapacitated and knocked out of the fight by the creatures paralysis, I thought it was going to just keep chewing on you. Luckily, I was able to shove it off of you far enough to prevent it from taking another bite. That's when your pick got knocked from your hands. He scratched me a little bit too during the scrum, but I didn't succumb to its devastating paralytic touch. Then something even more strange happened. Just as the monster was about to take a bite out of me instead of you, the native man with the bone in his nose came flying in and tackled the creature to the ground, almost in the same way that I was able to initially get him off you."

"Once the two of them were engaged in combat, I immediately grabbed onto you and started running back down the trail as fast as I could. I knew my magic wouldn't hold the entangled one for much longer and you were already bleeding out. I knew we would both be dead if I tried to bind your wounds right there, so I did the only thing I could.....and ran."

"I stopped to staunch your bite wound as soon as I got to the edge of the village, and I am pretty sure it was just in time. When I turned to look back to see what had happened to the native man that saved us, he was being attacked by both of the creatures. I didn't stick around to see what happened next. I just high tailed it back to the beach. Thank the gods that they didn't bother to follow, or we would both likely be dead right now."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#4 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

Seeing Ferris and Wes, Brufrig wanders over to say hello. Good morning, gentlemen. How are you this fine morning?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Wes takes a breath after telling Ferris the rest of his story and sees the dwarf approaching.

"Well met, Brufrig! Are you looking for a little excitement and adventure this fine day? Ferris, Franny, and myself are going to seek out the sea priest Keilif. We want to go investigate these native people to the east that need our help! We could surely use your fighting skills if you wanted to come along."

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

#6 Post by Hotgoblin »

Franny nods appreciatively at Ferris...Why yes, them are those Rocks, I ain't never heard of anyone knowing about Moldavite! It ain't naturally from the ground, it was brought here by one of them huge fireballs in the sky, that crashed into the Oerth ages ago. Me found it many moons ago far, far, from here. Although, I did find that flame opal, as you call it, here within one of them caves. I will show you when time allows. We've got some 'chopping' to do first.. Them native bone wearers need our services. She smirks at Brufrig, Hey, watch who you're call'n a gentleman! then winks at the dwarf .

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Bluetongue »

Although, I did find that flame opal, as you call it, here within one of them caves
Ferris, jumps excitedly at the revelation and begins to tug the hem garments of the taller priests"See I told you all this is what Shiny Island is famed for." He is ready to go to rescue Bone-nose and retrieve his stuff whenever.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Spearmint wrote:Miss Tal
"Ha little Ferret isn't it? Another excursions beyond the bounds, how many days do you plan to be away. I was hoping to meet with the settlement old sage but if he is indisposed I could offer my 'skills', little as they are.
As they chat, the pair also spots Keilif and Bonnie walking up from the water towards the assembled group. They look about ready to depart for the river as well. Keilif has a very sour look on his face and is not openly friendly with Bonnie, Krystal, or Franny. He seems as though he has something to say but waits until the party is ready to depart before speaking.

I think that makes 7 for this mission:
Ferris
Wes
Franny
Krystal
Bonnie
Keilif
Brufrig (?)

If there is any other interest in going along with this group, speak up soon. I will get something written up and start this one off later today.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Since nobody expressed any interest in gathering water again, I will assume that there will be no offer of help on this trip.

In Search Of Bone-nose
Moonday, 22nd of Reaping
Early Morning, Hot, Muggy, Buggy

Keilif seeks out the group as soon as he hears about the native villages being burned. He demands that Wes and Ferris tell him every detail about their latest encounter with the natives. He agrees to set out with them immediately after a quick stop at his shack to don his armor and get his gear. If someone or something is messing with his native friends, Keilif will fight and die, doing everything in his power to bring them to justice.

The group sets out bright and early to the east towards the river, even before the water gatherers leave town. Again, the walking is easy enough to do along the hard packed trail. Although there are plenty of folks that could move along much faster, those carrying the most gear and wearing the heaviest armor hold them back somewhat. The group is able to cover a mile and a half of distance in about an hour of travel.

After the first mile or so, the sea priest Keilif begins to speak out about what he has already learned of the native peoples of Big Shiny Island.

"They are a kind hearted and good people. They share and help each other, even when there is little to go around. They live in small villages that dot the eastern bank of the Dutty river. I have only been to the first two settlements, but I learned that there are more villages further up the river and also a huge communal farming area that they all share beyond that. I have been told that the ground in that valley is so fertile they said almost anything would grow there."

"As you can imagine, I wasn't well accepted at first, it took a long time to earn their trust. But once we started trying to communicate, I found that we had quite a lot in common. The language barrier was admittedly difficult, but we were actually able to teach each other a few words here and there after a while. They are a highly intelligent people despite their primitive appearance. They use many of the same tools and building practices as we do and they are absolute experts at weaving their strong fibrous plants into derived fabrics and excel at rope making of all kinds."

"If someone is deliberately hurting these decent people, we must get to the bottom of it and make it our ultimate goal to put a stop to it."

Ferris 5/7 DM, RM, 1/1 first
Waesfaren Rhey 10/10 4/4 first
Bonnie 6/6
Krystal 5/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Franny Buurlslammer 12/12
Brufrig Granitesunder 15/15
Keilif 9/9 3/3 first

Scott308

#10 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

My apologies, Franny. I did not see you there. Hmm. Keilif is part of this expedition? I'm not sure he'll want me along seeing how he reacted to the way we handled the bandits. If he has no problem, I'll join your group.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris

"Well the first settlement is no more from the portions I saw. Every home almost incinerated, bodies lying where they fell slain. I think some had been subsequently burned but they were not funeral pyres, just blazing the bodies. Of course some river ghouls crept up on Wes and I and we had to make a brave stand as they sought to lay claim to the carcasses. Were it not for the skills of Wes I myself would have been a little river beast creeping undead doom along the banks and beaches."

Ferris will describe the incident with Bone-nose, how we met and followed after him.Is he some village chief or elder? he asks Keilif.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Spearmint »

Krystal on the way will ask Keiliff to teach us a few basic greetings and phrases. Come, stop, give me, follow, friend, water, danger,

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Who Is This Guy?
Mid Morning, Hot, Sunny, Humid

The bright blue sky is completely void of clouds on this fine morning, making the long trip almost enjoyable for a change. The insects mostly keep to the shade of the trees and it is much nicer walking along the clear, dry beach as opposed to slogging through the wet jungle all day.

Despite the clear weather, Keilif does not seem happy in the least, especially with Brufrig, Franny, Bonnie and Krystal. He doesn’t even look at the male dwarf and there is clearly some ongoing animosity between him and Bonnie as well. He cringes when hearing the tale from Ferris about the burned villages and executed people. When Krystal asks the priest to divulge some of the common native words, he responds rather harshly.

“Let’s get something straight right here and now. I came along with Wes and Ferris! Not to explore or find riches, but to HELP MY FRIENDS! I watched the way your group handles opposition when you murdered those three idiots yesterday. If the four of you are only coming along to get another chance at killing someone, then I feel as though I better warn you about something. If ANY of you try to harm these natives in the least, I will be forced to take action against you. This trip will not turn into another senseless massacre if I have anything to say about it. If you want me to teach you how to communicate with them, first you must prove to me that you can actually be civil to them! The last thing that I will do is help you to take advantage of or manipulate these good people in any way, shape, or form.”

He stares down Bonnie and Brufrig, speaking to them lastly and most harshly.

“If you two can’t keep your weapons in check until there is actually some reason to use them, you should turn around and go back right now. I swear to you both that if you murder even one of these villagers, I will do everything in my power to extract a harsh and most deadly revenge on you. I will not allow such despicable evil to be spread around here, especially towards these most innocent and kind hearted of peoples. Just try me if you think that I am not being perfectly serious about this.”

The uptight priest gets a solemn nod from the druid Wes, who agrees with his words completely, despite having absolutely no idea what happened on the loggers trail just one day earlier. The group makes great time on their journey and arrives at the river by mid morning, totally unmolested. (except for the tongue lashings) The large sandy beach area adjoining with the mouth of the river looks exactly the way you left it, the dark opening to the trail that winds along the river and into the jungle forest looms just up ahead.

Actions?

Ferris 5/7 DM, RM, 1/1 first
Waesfaren Rhey 10/10 4/4 first
Bonnie 6/6
Krystal 5/5 CL DM RM 1/1 first
Franny Buurlslammer 12/12
Brufrig Granitesunder 15/15
Keilif 9/9 3/3 first

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Spearmint »

Krystal nudges Bonnie whispering, "I think he fancies you!".

To Wes she asks,"Didn't this Bone-nose person standing watching you fill the water barrels before. maybe he watches us now. Did you tell him we were coming back with you?", she watches the clerics to see if they signal in any particular fashion and scans the forest treeline.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Wes chokes back a chuckle at Krystal's proclamation to Bonnie, not wanting to offend the obviously riled cleric.

"I didn't tell Bone-nose anything. Once I saw him knock the water ghoul down, I just ran away."

The druid scans the tree line but spots nothing out of the ordinary.

"Well.....shall we continue?"

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bonnie

Bonnie whispers back to Krystal "I do have a way with religious men." She smiles and turns to Wes. "Lead on, good sir."

She readies her bow and follows into the jungle.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Bluetongue »

Ferris

"Yes, lead on Wes. I must remember to thank this Bone-nose for his timely arrival. Is there any protocol these villages have when we meet them. Perhaps I should find a new decorative bone or shiny shell to stick through his nostrils or dangling from an ear lobe."

Hotgoblin

#18 Post by Hotgoblin »

Franny quietly listens to Kelif's rant... Yes, Kelif, me thinks we were too hasty with our previous actions. I have come to observe this bone-nose and his folk. Unless, they be needing protection, then me battle-axe will be used!!

Scott308

#19 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

After listening to Keilif's heated rant, the dwarf calmly replies. I make no apologies for what occurred on the road. Armed bandits attempted to rob us. Yes, we outnumbered them. But two members of our party had been gravely injured, while others were at less than full strength, and at the time, we had no idea if there were others nearby or not. Would I react the same in that situation again? Absolutely. If someone decides to rob others, there is a good chance they may end up dead, and I would rather kill them than give them the chance to kill me.

I do one thing, and do it well enough for someone to want me to accompany the group in case my skill was needed, but it is clear that I am not welcome by everyone, so I will not continue on. Hopefully, you will be able to talk the creatures into not hurting anyone. I'm sure they'll be willing to listen. To the rest of you, I'm sorry, and hope everything goes well. Don't take unneeded risks and I'll see you back in town.

With that, Brufrig heads back to Beachtown.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Keilif does not change his stance on the events of yesterday and spouts off again once the dwarf is finished.

"Oh, so you would do it again? Those bandits weren't orcs.....or goblins.....they were humans.....just like me! So, now you are saying that you want to kill anyone and everyone who might be a threat to you, just in case they want to kill you first? That is the mentality of an evil goon and I don't care what you say about it. Murder is murder, no matter how pretty you dress it up. Good riddance to you, I say! I don't need someone cutting me down from behind in cold blood because I might have accidentally offended them or because they find me to be a threat to them."

Wes feels a little responsible for those he asked to come along so he rushes after Brufrig and tries to talk some sense into the dwarf.

"Brufrig, I know you to be a decent soul, despite whatever happened on the trail yesterday. But, I can see that Keilif has a different view of you. I don't want to increase tensions between the two of you, but to run off on your own out here because of a silly emotional difference is utter suicide. I have already noticed dangerous creatures around here that are keeping tabs on us and our movements. On my return trip yesterday, I had to move into the trees twice to avoid a nasty looking sea monster that was following me. It is not wise for anyone to go off alone here. Please reconsider and stay with this group until we can all return safely. This argument isn't something you want to lose your life over, is it?"

Return to “Completed Missions”